New Shemue III trailer - the hype is real!

• 54 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I'm lovin' it!!! Are you?? The lip syncing does look kinda funny though in some parts.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Facial animations look stiff, yet at the same, provide a vintage Shenmue feel. I also got pumped when "Earth and Sea" started to play, and of the little combat they showed has that distinct aura of Yu Suzuki/AM2 games. Overall, I'd say it definitely seems to be restricted by the budget, but I still came away saying, "yeah, that's Shenmue," so I can't wait to play it. Need that English trailer doe, lol.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic
@Renegade_Fury said:

Facial animations look stiff, yet at the same, provide a vintage Shenmue feel. I also got pumped when "Earth and Sea" started to play, and of the little combat they showed has that distinct aura of Yu Suzuki/AM2 games. Overall, I'd say it definitely seems to be restricted by the budget, but I still came away saying, "yeah, that's Shenmue," so I can't wait to play it. Need that English trailer doe, lol.

Haha. Yea, we take what we can. I am definitely pumped for the English trailer! Gonna be great to hear Corey Marshall again lol.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Yeah, I'll take Yakuza over it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Looking good!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Really need to finish the first two.

Got bored waiting for the next event.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Surely Judge Eyes is just better.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Something cool that I saw another Shenmue fan pick up on, is that the guy whom kicked Ryo's ass in the trailer is the same person pictured on the fourth and sixth image of the original story outline.

I'm guessing he's an underling of Niao Sun since she's pictured with him.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

What's up with the meathead? He looks like a damn caricature in contrast to Ryo and the others.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

Looking good. but animations are pretty bad.

they should have shown some gameplay instead of trailer.

hopefully PC version is proper this time with keyboard and mouse.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#11 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

Looking good, just needs some polishing, but so far, I'm hyped that Shenmue 3 is almost coming out

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever

Gameplay screenshots.

it appears that they actually improved the combat.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic

@ghosts4ever: did not take you to be a Shenmue fan. I thought you just liked single player FPS lol.

@Renegade_Fury: Interesting. Didn't know anything about that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

I really need to replay the originals in anticipation for this

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Really looking forward to it.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Looks ok, will be an 8/10 game I hope.

Yakuza series still better

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@knight-k said:

yakuza series trying to be too edgy.

Shenmue is a series people care about more. it will have many more NPCs and shops will open on time. its more ambitious project.

shenmue 3 announced got insane amount of reaction. if another yakuza game announce. it will be like just another day.

beside 8/10 is not ok game. its great. im expecting it 7/10 Good game that was what previous 2 games are. ok is 6/10.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jackamomo

This is never going to be able to compete with Shenmue 1 and 2 which had notoriously bloated budgets.

The animation and modelling isn't there. It shows these skills cannot be improved with new technologies alone.

SM1+2 had the best working in the business at that time. SM3 is an indy on a shoestring.

It might be a game some people won't mind playing just because they want a new SM game but on it's own merits it won't stand up to Yakuza or Judge Eyes.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By knight-k

@ghosts4ever said:
@knight-k said:

Shenmue is a series people care about more. it will have many more NPCs and shops will open on time. its more ambitious project.

shenmue 3 announced got insane amount of reaction. if another yakuza game announce. it will be like just another day.

beside 8/10 is not ok game. its great. im expecting it 7/10 Good game that was what previous 2 games are. ok is 6/10.

Shenmue is overrated. Watch Sterling's review on the remaster. Games are mediocre at best and were nothing more than a glorified tech demo when they released. Gameplay sucked.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic
@jackamomo said:

This is never going to be able to compete with Shenmue 1 and 2 which had notoriously bloated budgets.

The animation and modelling isn't there. It shows these skills cannot be improved with new technologies alone.

SM1+2 had the best working in the business at that time. SM3 is an indy on a shoestring.

It might be a game some people won't mind playing just because they want a new SM game but on it's own merits it won't stand up to Yakuza or Judge Eyes.

I don't think Shenmue fans really care about competing with Yakuza or Judge Eyes. From a legacy standpoint, Shenmue is way more important than either one. This game looks like a sequel to the last game, which is what the fans want. It's not perfect, but it definitely has the feel of the previous games. I also know from reading up on the game that from a gameplay perspective, it will be an expansion of the previous games, which is what matters most.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghosts4ever

@knight-k said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@knight-k said:

Shenmue is overrated. Watch Sterling's review on the remaster. Games are mediocre at best and were nothing more than a glorified tech demo when they released. Gameplay sucked.

of course its not masterpiece that many claim. it has lot of tedious section like forklift and waiting. but its ambitious game for its time. shop open and close at time. has much mini games. great storyline etc.

shenmue is better than todays movie games so i safe to say shenmue 3 will probably be better game than most of cinematic movie games of today too.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@pinkribbonscars: I tried. It’s a slog. Sterling’s take was dead on for the current gen releases. Just not fun anymore

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

The trailer only has 30k views. I don't think the interest for this game is that high

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 knight-k

@ghosts4ever said:
@knight-k said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@knight-k said:

of course its not masterpiece that many claim. it has lot of tedious section like forklift and waiting. but its ambitious game for its time. shop open and close at time. has much mini games. great storyline etc.

shenmue is better than todays movie games so i safe to say shenmue 3 will probably be better game than most of cinematic movie games of today too.

Good cinematic game > a mediocre game with shit gameplay and bad time mechanics.

And of course, reviewers agree with my view. God of War and Uncharted are much better games objecitvely speaking.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jackamomo

@cainetao11: Jim Sterling is a hack who praised Road Rage.

I played Shenmue 2 for ages and it was only a slog because of the f-ing DC load times.

I found out how to make it playable though. Go to the docks to find the high stakes gambling game. Save the game. Go and keep putting all your money down to potentially double it. Repeat until you have enough money which should take about 20 minutes.

Otherwise expect to be spending literally days doing exciting things like standing and shouting at people to come play pachinko, then you have to beat them which takes about 10 minutes per game which if you lose, you earn nothing and if you win, you earn 5 Yen. Yay.

Otherwise, it moves along at a fairly brisk pace and has some of the most immersive environments ever created in a computer game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ghosts4ever

@knight-k said:

Good cinematic game > a mediocre game with shit gameplay and bad time mechanics.

And of course, reviewers agree with my view. God of War and Uncharted are much better games objecitvely speaking.

lol video games critics and journalist. they praise anything mainstream AAA and donot talk about its cons.

according to them MGS5 is most perfect game ever made.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cainetao11

@jackamomo: yeah I played it way back when and it was fun. Now? It’s fvckin weak and painful to play.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jackamomo

@cainetao11: My favourite thing about Shenmue 2 were the face textures. There must be hundreds. You never see the same one twice and they are so varied and well drawn.

I see none of that care being taken in the SM3 faces.

True_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 True_Link
Member since 2019 • 243 Posts

@ghosts4ever: claiming shenmue is better than Yakuza lmao, you truly have no sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts
@cainetao11 said:

@pinkribbonscars: I tried. It’s a slog. Sterling’s take was dead on for the current gen releases. Just not fun anymore

Jim Sterling's a fucking moron

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Not feeling it ... I really don't see what's the big deal of this franchise ... I'm glad that is getting it done because of the fans ... But u don't really feel this game.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1070 Posts

Looks good. The animation and lip synching needss work. Hopefully, those elements is greatly improved before the game is released.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Need to replay the first two.

This has a case of the be careful what you wish for, it's going to be old school for better or for worse.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

I really loved the original.

I think the reason I like Shenmue and never liked Yakuza was the combat. Shenmue felt more like playing a fighting game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#35 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@knight-k said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@knight-k said:

You're not being objective in the slightest. Shenmue is an adventure game. God of War and Uncharted are action games. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Shenmue is a great adventure game. If adventure games are not your kind of genre, then Shenmue just isn't for you.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jag85
@pinkribbonscars said:
@cainetao11 said:

While Sterling is a good reviewer when it comes to action games, Sterling doesn't have a clue about adventure games. And that's where his Shenmue review fails, because he tries to review an adventure game by action game standards.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Can't wait! The face looks last gen but I can careless lol

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Looks likes PS3 game, bit good for the fans I guess

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I love Shenmue. I love it so so much. This will be no exception hopefully. There is a certain humanity to it.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Looks good. Could be better judging from the trailer, but hey, developers are working on a budget so I have to respect that.

Day one for sure.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

The first 2 were filled with boring everyday tasks to the point where I regretted buying them. They would have to totally change the 3rd for me to even get on board.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cainetao11

@pinkribbonscars said:
@cainetao11 said:

Awesome

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cainetao11

@Jag85 said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@cainetao11 said:

While Sterling is a good reviewer when it comes to action games, Sterling doesn't have a clue about adventure games. And that's where his Shenmue review fails, because he tries to review an adventure game by action game standards.

When it comes to entertainment, EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG IF THEY DONT AGREE WITH MY OPINION.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jag85

@cainetao11: Shenmue is an adventure game, not an action game. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Looks pretty true to the original art style. I like it. Odd it won’t be on anything other than ps4 and pc though. Guess I’ll be getting it on pc. Would’ve loved a Switch version.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

I've never played a Shenmue game, so I'm looking at this video as a newcomer. It looks pretty stiff, the main character looks baby-faced and the only thing shown was cinematics. Not looking good.

Btw, is anyone else unable to watch videos through GameSpot? I'm using Chrome. It's been like this for a few weeks now I believe. I thought GameSpot had someone hired to fix such problems with their website, but he seems to be on vacation.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@Litchie said:

I've never played a Shenmue game, so I'm looking at this video as a newcomer. It looks pretty stiff, the main character looks baby-faced and the only thing shown was cinematics. Not looking good.

Btw, is anyone else unable to watch videos through GameSpot? I'm using Chrome. It's been like this for a few weeks now I believe. I thought GameSpot had someone hired to fix such problems with their website, but he seems to be on vacation.

Yea, it's understandable that you would see the game that way since you're new. I guess for me I just really liked the characters and the story, and also the nostalgic feel from playing games of that time.

And yea, I have that issue too. Gamespot forums suck from a technical perspective lol. They should never have changed them to begin with.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Then it's not only for me. Rant! GameSpot's staff is really quite awful at their jobs. A conclusion I've come to more than a dozen times. Their reviewers don't talk about what a consumer would like to know. Their articles don't make sense and have a large amount of spelling errors. 90% of their content is about Fortnite. When playing games in videos, they suck at it. When a small and easily fixable problem happens with their website, they let it be for months. They're pretty bad at everything they do, actually.

Anyway, one thing I did like about the game was the overall look of it. Artstyle, maybe I should call it. It looks unrealistic in a good way..

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 cainetao11

@Jag85 said:

@cainetao11: Shenmue is an adventure game, not an action game. That's a fact, not an opinion.

OK but your assessment of how another person reviews games isn't a fact.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jag85

@cainetao11: Sure.

BTW, it's still not clear whether Sterling actually likes or dislikes Shenmue? He bashes it throughout the whole video, but then ends the review with "the lowest score possible, 8/10." It sounds like sarcasm, but could also be genuine. It's hard to make out.