New R-Type game, yay

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (32826 posts) -

R-Type Final 2: Trailer and Release Date

R-Type Final 2 is the unlikely resurrection of the beloved shooter series.

What was thought to be an April Fools joke is indeed very real as we are going to get a proper new R-Type game after about 16 years of patient waiting.

R-Type Final 2 is the sequel to 2003's R-Type Final, which (at the time) was considered to be something of a send-off for the R-Type series in its traditional form (a 2D or 2.5D shooter). However, now it seems that a studio named Granzella will indeed be heading development of this sequel that is about as appropriately named as Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter.

Actually, Granzella's involvment is part of the reason why so many people thought this was an April Fool's Joke. Granzella is made up of many members of the former developer Irem who not only worked on R-Type Final and the very first R-Type game but who are particularly famous for their elaborate April Fool's jokes (some of which involved R-Type). It wasn't until Granzella confirmed after April Fools that this game is real that people finally became convinced this wasn't another prank.

Sadly, not much is known about the game itself at this time outside of the footage shown in the teaser trailer. Based on that footage, though, we believe that R-Type Final2 will be proper R-Type game both in the style of R-Type Final and the other classic side-scroller entries in the series. There are teases of some early story details, but we're going to go ahead and guess that this won't be a narrative-heavy game.

Actually, based on the trailer, we're pretty sure that this game is going to be all about beautiful light shows disguised as spaceship battles and some incredible music. R-Type always embodied the arcade style of game designand felt like they would be perfect titles for the Sega Genesis (which is strange considering that R-Type and R-Type II were never ported to the Genesis).

This article is really dumb, it was on the Master System. Seems to be PS4 exclusive which kinda sucks, rather play on PC.

Screnshots -

#2 Edited by mazuiface (829 posts) -

Wow this is amazing. I saw a thread over on shmups forum too and people were in disbelief. Apparently it's being made by OG Irem people too.

I am gonna get this game day 1 btw.

#3 Posted by ZmanBarzel (1800 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

What was thought to be an April Fools joke is indeed very real as we are going to get a proper new R-Type game after about 16 years of patient waiting.

R-Type Final 2 is the sequel to 2003's R-Type Final, which (at the time) was considered to be something of a send-off for the R-Type series in its traditional form (a 2D or 2.5D shooter). However, now it seems that a studio named Granzella will indeed be heading development of this sequel that is about as appropriately named as Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter.

Actually, Granzella's involvment is part of the reason why so many people thought this was an April Fool's Joke. Granzella is made up of many members of the former developer Irem who not only worked on R-Type Final and the very first R-Type game but who are particularly famous for their elaborate April Fool's jokes (some of which involved R-Type). It wasn't until Granzella confirmed after April Fools that this game is real that people finally became convinced this wasn't another prank.

Sadly, not much is known about the game itself at this time outside of the footage shown in the teaser trailer. Based on that footage, though, we believe that R-Type Final2 will be proper R-Type game both in the style of R-Type Final and the other classic side-scroller entries in the series. There are teases of some early story details, but we're going to go ahead and guess that this won't be a narrative-heavy game.

Actually, based on the trailer, we're pretty sure that this game is going to be all about beautiful light shows disguised as spaceship battles and some incredible music. R-Type always embodied the arcade style of game design and felt like they would be perfect titles for the Sega Genesis (which is strange considering that R-Type and R-Type II were never ported to the Genesis).

This article is really dumb, it was on the Master System. Seems to be PS4 exclusive which kinda sucks, rather play on PC.

Where does it say anything about "R-Type" never being on the Master System? The only system the article mentions is the Genesis.

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (32826 posts) -

@zmanbarzel said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Actually, based on the trailer, we're pretty sure that this game is going to be all about beautiful light shows disguised as spaceship battles and some incredible music. R-Type always embodied the arcade style of game design and felt like they would be perfect titles for the Sega Genesis (which is strange considering that R-Type and R-Type II were never ported to the Genesis).

Where does it say anything about "R-Type" never being on the Master System? The only system the article mentions is the Genesis.

Thus, indicating ignorance.

#5 Posted by enzyme36 (4153 posts) -

Damn... @uninspiredcup is always bringing the news of these hidden gems to attention. I didnt know about this and the Cyber Shinobi like game... and they both look fantastic. Good stuff.

#6 Posted by PAL360 (29557 posts) -

Looks amazing! Man, i love R-Type!!!

#7 Posted by Daredevils2k (2011 posts) -

now after hearing MS is bad at makings games with good game play, this is news just made my day. thanks TC for sharing.

#8 Edited by evilross (1975 posts) -

This has my full and complete interest.

#9 Edited by mazuiface (829 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Lol have fun with that mindset and supposedly being shmup fan. The same thing happened with Xbox 360 last gen, where most arcades were ported to X360 and there were a handful of upset people who ended up missing out (until pretty recently when the games were eventually ported over to PS3, PS4, Steam etc). If you really want to play the games, you would get the platform they are on and play them - with 360 last gen, and seemingly a mix of PS4 and Steam this gen. I'm pretty sure this if coming to PC too, but It's not like shmup developers have a ton of money to port every game anyway - just be happy that it's here.

#10 Edited by uninspiredcup (32826 posts) -

@mazuiface said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Lol have fun with that mindset and supposedly being shmup fan. The same thing happened with Xbox 360 last gen, where most arcades were ported to X360 and there were a handful of upset people who ended up missing out (until pretty recently when the games were eventually ported over to PS3, PS4, Steam etc). If you really want to play the games, you would get the platform they are on and play them - with 360 last gen, and seemingly a mix of PS4 and Steam this gen. I'm pretty sure this if coming to PC too, but It's not like shmup developers have a ton of money to port every game anyway - just be happy that it's here.

I think you're maybe missing the point - I have a PS4 and will get it regardless. I'd rather play on PC, with my zippy longshaft stick.

#12 Posted by Archangel3371 (27598 posts) -

That’s cool I guess. I would much rather have a new Gradius game but R-Type is ok too.

#13 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10091 posts) -

Cool, well I love R-Type and will definitely get this, but I would prefer to get it on Xbox or Switch, I hope it is not a PS4 exclusive....but I'll still get it on my PS4 pro if I don't have any other choice. My PS4-Pro is a dust collector that I occasionally take out to play exclusives, so it might come in handy here.

#14 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (2855 posts) -

Looks like another screen clutter fest. Would prefer to see another Thunder Force or Gradius. Perhaps a sequel to Gaires.

#15 Posted by mojito1988 (3535 posts) -

When I was a kid I used to play R-Type in the arcade. Such fond memories. It was very unique how you can shoot out your main weapon and attach it back to your front or back side. What a great game. (took me forever to beat in the Arcade.)

#16 Posted by mazuiface (829 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Eh. If I had it my way, I would be playing every game on PC too. With releases like this though, I don't think it's even worth mentioning since the devs are a small team.

Either way I'm glad that there are others on this board who appreciate these types of games. Also that's a nice custom. Did you change the lever too or just add a longer shaft? I prefer the LS-32 and Hayabusa over JLF.

#17 Posted by kuu2 (11110 posts) -

Day 1! The only question is can they do this on a cell phone?

#18 Posted by DaVillain- (36087 posts) -

I do enjoy playing R-Type game series back in the days, it's a shame this R-Type Final 2 isn't coming to PC. To be honest, I do find Redux Dark Matters on PC to be a true successor R-Type so it doesn't look like I'll be missing out on this one when I have Redux Dark Matters.

#19 Posted by Litchie (23718 posts) -

Was pretty excited until I read "PS4 exclusive". WTF

#20 Posted by floppydics (84 posts) -

Excited. I love r-type was one of my favourite games as a kid in the arcades, on the speccy and master system. Awesome soundtrack too.

#21 Edited by uninspiredcup (32826 posts) -

@mazuiface said:

@uninspiredcup: Eh. If I had it my way, I would be playing every game on PC too. With releases like this though, I don't think it's even worth mentioning since the devs are a small team.

Either way I'm glad that there are others on this board who appreciate these types of games. Also that's a nice custom. Did you change the lever too or just add a longer shaft? I prefer the LS-32 and Hayabusa over JLF.

Me other stick had a JLF replacement, when it comes to charge characters prefer using the longer, tighter zippy stick. Prob replace the buttons on this one to make them the same as the one above as the silent buttons feel better.

#22 Posted by VFighter (4804 posts) -

Love me some R-type, so I'm pretty excited for this! Still have my master system copy of the first game.