New PSshock Interview: Final Fantasy XIII

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts

Taken from the FFXIII Forum:

"It's a massive interview, so I'll refrain from doing a word for word translation(lest we be subjected to my mediocre Japanese, forgive any mistakes, which are: slight at best, I think) but I've posted the bits of even mild interest below:"

FFXIII as of August (Discussion of Nomura's behind-the-scenes documentary)

- FFXIII is not "currently in a state to be presented to the public".

- Original documentary was to be 30 minutes long but had to be edited down to 15 for several reasons. One of these reasons was apparently because they spoke of things they weren't allowed to speak of yet regarding the game. Also, too much of the game was shown during Nomura's filming of the development.

- Nomura stated that the documentary was made because fans may have been concerned with FFXIII's development status. He says it was his intention to show that many sleepless nights are being spent on the game and he joked that the team is suffering from insomnia. Toriyama suggested that fans felt this way because there haven't been any footage of gameplay on the field maps yet(until now).

(Discussion of FFXIII demo)

- The demo came about when FFXIII Producer Kitase inquired on the release of ACC and suggested maybe that it was time to provide a demo to the fans.

- Toriyama apologizes to the fans for keeping us waiting for so long to get our hands on it but that this is the best they have to offer.

- Toriyama says the demo will contain an immense field for gamers to traverse and explore. He says the fields are bigger even than the previous games in the series(I wonder if he's played FFXI). Toriyama JOKES that the demo may be longer than ACC. There is no mention of it being two hours long.

- Demo will give players an understanding of the Fal'Cie, L'Cie, Cocoon, and the crystals.

- As you all must already know, the demo takes place at the opening sections of the game whose "intensity... is probably the most in the FF series so far". It contains real time battles mixed with seamless cutscenes(according to a Dengeki interview from last year quoting Toriyama).

- FFXIII's story develops from the perspective of several characters and not just one main character. In an interesting side note, Toriyama once discussed this feature in one of the English speaking magazine interviews, he mentioned that the team is innovating with a split screen feature that would allow players to simultaneously view the actions of several characters in the plotline. The demo will allow players to get an understanding of this "new ****" as he describes it.

- There will be a new character in the demo that hasn't been introduced yet.

- Summons are on discs, apparently. Blu-ray discs according to Toriyama...

- There will be some kind of combat mechanism before you engage an enemy.

- Even the simple decision of choosing to attack is a "a struggle" and has tension in it.

-

(discussion of TGS)

- Choosing a voice actor for Lightning is difficult because her image has been fixed for so long in fans minds. She is a strong, soldier-like woman with a gentle and tender core. Please note that she is always described as "a woman". She might very well be the oldest lead in the series since Cecil.

- Mr. 33cm is a straightforward person by nature and may come off as rude at times but he is also like a big brother and protective of Lightning. Nomura describes him as "firey"... you couple that with the fact that his name has something to do with weather and you may have a name(albeit in some obscure language ala Wakka, Yuna, and Tidus which were also weather motifs)

- The team suggests that Nomchan's voice actor will not be heard at TGS. However, they describe her as mysterious and complicated, unlike previous jailbait characters in the FF franchise. She has a bright, cheery personality to hide her feelings, hence this subtlety makes it a difficult proposition for a voice actor to portray her.

- Regarding the scene in the new pictures in which all three characters are present, it can be looked at as "chapter II" if the demo is looked at as "chapter I".

- Toriyama describes Pulse as seen as "hellish" by Cocoon's citizens and that it is very difficult to travel between the two areas. He goes on to say that the reasons why people of Pulse are in Cocoon to begin with is very important to the main plot itself. He describes Pulse as a vast place of adventure for the gamers and that Cocoon and Pulse have different gameplay characteristics.

- Nomura goes on to say that the series has largely stayed the same since FFVII and that FFXIII will evolve greatly and be a turning point for the series the way VII was.

- Toriyama resonds to that by concluding that gamers will be able to experience this "new form of FF" in the demo and hopefully we'll manage to be able to wait for the main game.

(Discussing AgitoXIII)

- The FNC concept of looked at this way: FFXIII is the future, FFVerusXIII is the present, and **** is like the middle-ages. This means that AgitoXIII may have some old-school FF elements.

- Nomura talks about some info that was already reported such as ad-hoc, summons, and that the FNC concept calls for action-****combat systems.

- I stand corrected. **** will not necessarily be the last to be released. Nomura confirms that AgitoXIII is already playable on PSP but that the story is currently being written and that it has a huge timeline dating back to some great war. It will definitely be released after FFXIII, however

box0rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 box0rocks
Member since 2008 • 1006 Posts
cool thx for the thread
NO_WAI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NO_WAI
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts
Summons are on Blu-ray discs? So that means on the 360 version, Sera will get 400000000 floppy discs dumped on her just for one of Ifrits arms.
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts

Summons are on Blu-ray discs? So that means on the 360 version, Sera will get 400000000 floppy discs dumped on her just for one of Ifrits arms.NO_WAI

Lol :) I didn't know No wai posted on the system wars boards

NO_WAI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NO_WAI
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts
Haw haw, I just came here for some lulz ^_^.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
Summons are on Blu-ray discs? So that means on the 360 version, Sera will get 400000000 floppy discs dumped on her just for one of Ifrits arms.NO_WAI
Or maybe it means they'll be the art on the disc's top surface.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

- The FNC concept of looked at this way: FFXIII is the future, FFVerusXIII is the present, and **** is like the middle-ages. This means that AgitoXIII may have some old-school FF elements.

XenogearsMaster
Whoa! Now I see why Lightning and Noctis will never cross paths!
Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts

See? This is what I wanted gaming sites to get at TGS. A simple interview so that we could get an idea of where they were in development and get new details on games.

Anyway, back to the catastrophe that is the progress report on FNC

The 1st enraging thing about this for me = Very little to none info on Versus XIII!!!

Next, they cut so much from the documentary because the game isn't in a state ready to be showable?!?!?!!?! Wow. Just wow.

The only good news in this is that it confirms that Agito XIII is farther along in development than FF XIII as I thought but unfortunately, it isn't comforting because of the last line where they say they won't release it before FF XIII.

Ugh, after reading this, I have to re-evaluate when to expect any of these three games. Now I'm thinking early 2010 for Japan, if they're lucky. Maybe 2011 here, if we're lucky.

black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts

Haw haw, I just came here for some lulz ^_^.NO_WAI

Then you have come to the right place :P

tiger35010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 tiger35010
Member since 2004 • 859 Posts
they should try to get that woman who does the voice dub for the major from the ghost in the shell series...in my head I'd always imagine that would be how Lightning would sound
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts
I cannot wait for this game.
elbow2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 elbow2k
Member since 2007 • 1645 Posts

I cannot wait for this game.GIJames248

Well you better.

-

I'm up for everyone having this game, but come on man, can we please just get the PS3 version out for those of us with a PS3? Man, having to wait an excess of 6+ months for the 360 version is just vexing. I know Microsoft probably must have opened up their deep coffers to make it so that they came out at the same time each, but seriously, I WANT THIS GAME NOW!!

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

Ugh, after reading this, I have to re-evaluate when to expect any of these three games. Now I'm thinking early 2010 for Japan, if they're lucky. Maybe 2011 here, if we're lucky.

RurouniSaiyajin

Nomura said the game will release in 2009' in Japan ( FF XIII ).

they should try to get that woman who does the voice dub for the major from the ghost in the shell series...in my head I'd always imagine that would be how Lightning would soundtiger35010

Lightinings Japanese voice sounds pretty much like "firm" or "upstanding" It sounds good too.

Altogether, I can't wait, sounds like a pretty good game.

Avatar image for Sony-ismy-Homey
Sony-ismy-Homey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sony-ismy-Homey
Member since 2008 • 228 Posts
Cool, thanks. Glad to hear that the team are focus on it. If it weren't for PS3 complicated, unique, Architecture--we would probably playing the game this year.