regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

Saw this on a Pro PS Youtuber (MBG) but I am posting the link he got the info from.. he says to "take it with a pinch of salt"

https://www.gamereactor.eu/source-playstation-5-to-adjust-plans-in-response-xbox-series-x-pricing/

Initially the price was higher than the XSX

"A source who spoke anonymously to Gamereactor, and who has an overview of the situation, confirmed yesterday that when the Xbox Series X launch details were revealed, the PlayStation 5 was "considerably" more expensive."

They updated their article to say that

"Update: Such is the fast-moving nature of the business that we're already hearing reports from multiple sources that Sony has taken the decision to slash the price of the PS5 in response to the aggressive price point of the Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.

Since writing up our original report, we've heard that Sony is considering pricing the discless PS5 at $399 and the premium edition of the PlayStation will match the Xbox Series X with a $499 price point."

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised, but it's definitely no guarantee, like they posted. If true, they could lose a decent amount on hardware, but we'll see a software uptick... More digital purchases and more PS+/PSNow users.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Sounds right. I don't know what other price they'd realistically be. I'll take the $399 version. Only 2 games I have are discs. I'll be keeping my Pro anyways.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44157 Posts

That’s what I’m expecting.

PS5 - $499

PS5 Digital - $399

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

I will take the discless for $400. 😁

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Sound about right. It would have been entertaining if sony went first with there higher prices. The stand off is about to end in a boring way.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I'd be ready to bet money this rumor is true. And its so dumb. "the innitial price was CONSIDERABLY MORE EXPENSIVE". Like what????? From what kind of specs inside the system could we expect a considerably more expensive console? Are you telling me that they were aiming for a $600-700 console with 9.2tflops, an inferior cpu and just standard amount of ram? Or were they thinking that charging this much money is perfectly fine because they have a 800gb ssd? Wtf Sony.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

It is almost as if Sony were waiting for Microsoft to give out their price first so they could respond in kind.

If these prices are correct you can see who won the game of chicken.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jcafcwbb

@hardwenzen: Quite possibly there were waiting to see what MS were going to charge - if MS had charged $599/$399 then they would gone $599/$499.

See how things work in business? They charge the highest they think they can get away with.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jcafcwbb

The real question is how much MS are gambling on gamepass subs subsidising the hit they will take for the high loss per Series S they sell. They are putting all their chips on gamepass.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

The real question is how much MS are gambling on gamepass subs subsidising the hit they will take for the high loss per Series S they sell. They are putting all their chips on gamepass.

How are they incurring a higher loss with the Series S?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Damn a 399 digital PS5 thats gotta scare microsoft I mean that things 3x more powerful than series s for 100 dollars more.

If I go to shop I want bang for my buck I upgrade 100 I get all this plus the sony exclusives and the better brand im in bro.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

@hardwenzen: Quite possibly there were waiting to see what MS were going to charge - if MS had charged $599/$399 then they would gone $599/$499.

See how things work in business? They charge the highest they think they can get away with.

I know how business works, and that's what's ridiculous about it (also why competition is so important). $600-700 for 9.2tflops 😫

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@ProtossRushX said:

Damn a 399 digital PS5 thats gotta scare microsoft I mean that things 3x more powerful than series s for 100 dollars more.

If I go to shop I want bang for my buck I upgrade 100 I get all this plus the sony exclusives and the better brand im in bro.

So, why did you buy the Xbox One then?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Yes, but in all fairness, you aren't that bright. Thus, general consumers being a few IQ points away will go Series S.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

If the digital edition is $399, it will be more enticing to make it a day 1 purchase. Any more than that and I'll wait for a price drop. I still may wait for a larger library, but $399 is a decent price. I've been holding out on playing a lot of ps4 games so I can play them in pro mode on the ps5, so I have plenty to play at launch.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Rumor is rumor. Nothing more and I'm more than hesitant to believe anything told to me unless from the horse's mouth... especially these days.

We'll never know what Sony's initital intentions were as that's not how the timeline played out. It would explain why they've gone so long without revealing their price though.

All we have is speculation.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Hold on all digital is what will carry the sales?

I thought digital on consoles was terrible?

A lot of people on here will be missing out BC if they went with disc and are buying the cheaper console.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

The digital edition for $399 would be a pretty big deal. On the same level as PS4 being $100 less than Xbone at launch.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

That’s what I’m expecting.

PS5 - $499

PS5 Digital - $399

Agree. That's the basic price I was expecting if this is true. But it's obvious this will be the real deal.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

$499 is a fair price for the consoles.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Dont forget more RAM and faster RAM and a faster SSD plus more SSD space... it's a no brainer to spend the $100 more for it.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

I feel like we should thank Nvidia for these cheap prices.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

$399 might be DoA for the digital version since it’s in direct competition with the XSS. The average casual doesn’t care much about power. Never has. They just want the next gen at a good price point. Sony better have some marketing skills - that’s for sure.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Gee cows are lucky MS saved them from getting shafted more than they already are.

Imagine the PS5 being more expensive than the Xbox and with much less power...oof, Sony trying to rip off it's clueless fanbase like usual.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Isn't competition over customers fantastic?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@regnaston said:

Saw this on a Pro PS Youtuber (MBG) but I am posting the link he got the info from.. he says to "take it with a pinch of salt"

https://www.gamereactor.eu/source-playstation-5-to-adjust-plans-in-response-xbox-series-x-pricing/

Initially the price was higher than the XSX

"A source who spoke anonymously to Gamereactor, and who has an overview of the situation, confirmed yesterday that when the Xbox Series X launch details were revealed, the PlayStation 5 was "considerably" more expensive."

They updated their article to say that

"Update: Such is the fast-moving nature of the business that we're already hearing reports from multiple sources that Sony has taken the decision to slash the price of the PS5 in response to the aggressive price point of the Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.

Since writing up our original report, we've heard that Sony is considering pricing the discless PS5 at $399 and the premium edition of the PlayStation will match the Xbox Series X with a $499 price point."

So let me get this straight,sony was going to sell a machine that cost $450 dollars to make for more than $500 and because MS decided to price the series X at $500 so will no longer charge more than $500 and will just charge the same?

My god you really believe any shit that get posted online

@hardwenzen said:

I'd be ready to bet money this rumor is true. And its so dumb. "the innitial price was CONSIDERABLY MORE EXPENSIVE". Like what????? From what kind of specs inside the system could we expect a considerably more expensive console? Are you telling me that they were aiming for a $600-700 console with 9.2tflops, an inferior cpu and just standard amount of ram? Or were they thinking that charging this much money is perfectly fine because they have a 800gb ssd? Wtf Sony.

Don't you think that there is a far better explanation for this,in other words this news been totally fake.

The only credible source we have talking about the PS5 price is Bloomberg month ago stating the PS5 cost $450 to make,and blame dram and nand flash,if the machine cost $450 how in hell sony will sell it for $600?

That not only make no sense what so freaking ever,but it goes against every single damn PS consoles ever release that has been sold at a loss.

A far better line of thinking will be that MS fanboys are freaking desperate,this are the same people that some weeks ago were hyping $199 and $399 as the series S and X price they simply are deluded.

@Sevenizz said:

$399 might be DoA for the digital version since it’s in direct competition with the XSS. The average casual doesn’t care much about power. Never has. They just want the next gen at a good price point. Sony better have some marketing skills - that’s for sure.

Sell what i tell you @hardwenzen They are simply deluded the damn PS3 outsold the xbox 360 world wide all generation while been more expensive catch and pass it,this time there is no $600 and no year advantage the PS5 will chew and spit the series S.

Time to save this thread.

@hitmanactual said:

Gee cows are lucky MS saved them from getting shafted more than they already are.

Imagine the PS5 being more expensive than the Xbox and with much less power...oof, Sony trying to rip off it's clueless fanbase like usual.

You mean like a $500 xbox one and the $400 PS4?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

The digital edition for $399 would be a pretty big deal. On the same level as PS4 being $100 less than Xbone at launch.

But how will you cows share your games with your friends as we all know that's important to you guys as Sony showed with their cheap 15sec backstage E3 video.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tormentos

@i_p_daily said:

But how will you cows share your games with your friends as we all know that's important to you guys as Sony showed with their cheap 15sec backstage E3 video.

Is not 2013 is 2020 51% of all games sold on PS4 in FY2020 were digital.

Keep the tears ringing...

Ring ding dong

Ring-a-ding ding ding dong🤣

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jcafcwbb

@Pedro said:
@jcafcwbb said:

How are they incurring a higher loss with the Series S?

As long as Wikipedia is not lying to me the original Xbox One retailed at $499 at launch. Which means that the Series S is being launched at below what both the PS4 and Xbox One were at launch. Are you trying to say that manufacturing costs have fallen to where this is feasible not to take heavy losses on the consoles sold?

My take is that they will subsidise the loss per console using the money they get from Gamepass, XBL, increased digital sales and even their Windows division if they have to.

I think that Sony got what they wanted by getting MS to name their price first but Sony are in a bind. They know, from what they know the PS5 costs to make, that MS are undercharging for both their consoles and they know they have to respond in kind. A thought occurred to me that MS are forcing Sony to undercharge for their console and MS believe they are better equipped to sustain these losses than Sony. If, as I have seen on here, Sony only make money from their gaming division, how easily can they absorb their losses. Will the money they get from digital sales, PS Plus, PS Now allow them to cover what they charge for the console and also leave them money to buy the timed exclusives which gave them edge in the last generation?

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

I bet the PS5 will cost $300 and the PS5 Digital will be $150.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I've been saying $499 PS5 and $399 PS5 digital for quite some time now. Hope I'm right.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

If Sony actually did this then its shady business and Cows should be thankful to Microsoft for pricing accordingly.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

$99.99 GTA6 bunduru or bust. lol :P

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

$479/449 and $429/399 is where I put my cash... The drive is cheap, the PS5 digital is not a $100 cheaper to manufacture. A UHD Blu ray drive for Sony in development deals is going to be a $50 difference.

This is more of a test to see physical media is actually about to be dropped for future consoles, if the PS5 digital only outsell's the PS5 then the will drop physical media all together for the PS6.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 regnaston

@tormentos: I dont respond to trolls

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tormentos

@regnaston said:

You calling a troll you who make thread with false and misleading information and delete a thread because you were exposed?

Again how a console that cost $450 to make was going to be sold for more than $500,and some how sony decided to match the series X which is a console that cost more than $500 to make and is been sold for $500?

@tdkmillsy said:

If Sony actually did this then its shady business and Cows should be thankful to Microsoft for pricing accordingly.

And here you are again making your argument in stealth mode.🤣

If you believe this you are a totally blind lemming.

Oh wait you are.🤣

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tdkmillsy

@tormentos: stealth conversation because u can't argue against it. Awesome

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

As long as Wikipedia is not lying to me the original Xbox One retailed at $499 at launch. Which means that the Series S is being launched at below what both the PS4 and Xbox One were at launch. Are you trying to say that manufacturing costs have fallen to where this is feasible not to take heavy losses on the consoles sold?

My take is that they will subsidise the loss per console using the money they get from Gamepass, XBL, increased digital sales and even their Windows division if they have to.

I think that Sony got what they wanted by getting MS to name their price first but Sony are in a bind. They know, from what they know the PS5 costs to make, that MS are undercharging for both their consoles and they know they have to respond in kind. A thought occurred to me that MS are forcing Sony to undercharge for their console and MS believe they are better equipped to sustain these losses than Sony. If, as I have seen on here, Sony only make money from their gaming division, how easily can they absorb their losses. Will the money they get from digital sales, PS Plus, PS Now allow them to cover what they charge for the console and also leave them money to buy the timed exclusives which gave them edge in the last generation?

Your logic is flawed. The equivalent to the Xbox One at launch is the Series X and not the Series S. You are taking the notion that the Series S is supposed to be the same price as the Xbox One when it launched but that doesn't make sense. The Series S is a weaker spec machine, so it would cost less to make not more.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 regnaston

@tormentos: Sorry I dont respond to trolls.. perhaps use one of your alts to talk

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tdkmillsy

@tormentos said:
@regnaston said:

You calling a troll you who make thread with false and misleading information and delete a thread because you were exposed?

Again how a console that cost $450 to make was going to be sold for more than $500,and some how sony decided to match the series X which is a console that cost more than $500 to make and is been sold for $500?

@tdkmillsy said:

And here you are again making your argument in stealth mode.🤣

If you believe this you are a totally blind lemming.

Oh wait you are.🤣

Do we know Sony have done this? - nope

Has someone posted saying they waited for Microsoft and now are looking at changing their price - yup

Was it just one person and the source is a bit iffy - yup

Have Sony released their price - Nope

is there any real good reason for them holding price - Nope

So its pretty intelligent to use the word IF as we dont know it actually happened.

How is this stealth mode - its like you cant understand so you make something up to cover it.

Why not just ask what I believe if you are that interested.

Meanwhile you post no view on the actual topic.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 regnaston

@tdkmillsy: it is better to simply not reply to him or reply like I am now "Sorry I don't respond to trolls."

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tormentos

@tdkmillsy said:

What do i need to argue here? That questionable source got information from an even more questionable person,which claim sony was going to sell the PS5 over $500 dollars and that MS pricing the xbox series X at $500 convince sony of matching the same price?

Please i just make a thread about the notion that the PS5 would be $500 or more please share with me there from where in hell you get that notion,i have a credible sources which is the only one until now stating how much a PS5 cost make from also from a source.

Loading Video...

Watch that for a few second do you think that sound like they are building a hugely expensive machine?

He clearly say ""its tempting to add more flash for bigger storage but flash doesn't come cheap and we have a responsibility to our gaming audience to be cost effective with regards of what we put in the console""

Does that sounds like they will sell the PS5 over $500 dollars? For real?

Want me to tell you what i believe is making you lemmings think that is true,is the desire of seeing sony fail,and is down right lol worthy.

Is incredible that on a site were a $199 and $399 price range was been discuss for the series X and series S some how people think Sony was going to price over $500 and MS some how save us from that.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tdkmillsy

@tormentos said:
@tdkmillsy said:

What do i need to argue here? That questionable source got information from an even more questionable person,which claim sony was going to sell the PS5 over $500 dollars and that MS pricing the xbox series X at $500 convince sony of matching the same price?

Please i just make a thread about the notion that the PS5 would be $500 or more please share with me there from where in hell you get that notion,i have a credible sources which is the only one until now stating how much a PS5 cost make from also from a source.

Loading Video...

Watch that for a few second do you think that sound like they are building a hugely expensive machine?

He clearly say ""its tempting to add more flash for bigger storage but flash doesn't come cheap and we have a responsibility to our gaming audience to be cost effective with regards of what we put in the console""

Does that sounds like they will sell the PS5 over $500 dollars? For real?

Want me to tell you what i believe is making you lemmings think that is true,is the desire of seeing sony fail,and is down right lol worthy.

Is incredible that on a site were a $199 and $399 price range was been discuss for the series X and series S some how people think Sony was going to price over $500 and MS some how save us from that.

Still waiting on 3 more people who have said they think the PS5 will be more than $500 or your simply making things up for drama.

I have already said I think it will be around the $449 price give or take.

You say you don't need to argue but then go on one

Its so funny.

I think PS5 full will be $499 and digital will be $449 or possible a bit less.

What do you think big boy? Cos your giving the impression it should be less than $400 for both.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Cows: "Sony doesn't need to respond or react to MS' price. They're the most in demand. Sony doesn't listen to no-one"

Also Cows: "Sony will sell the system at a loss to undercut MS"

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

Basically this.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

I find it surprising if they weren't at least prepared for MS to go $500. In ways I would have thought it might be a relief to Sony there isn't a more aggressive price war.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I believe this rumor is half true/accurate.

I don't believe the sku w/ the disk tray was dropped in price. The price was always going to be $499 for that.

The price for the digital edition is what actually dropped. Sony was probably going to do $449 for it, but decided to drop it to $399.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tormentos

@tdkmillsy said:

Still waiting on 3 more people who have said they think the PS5 will be more than $500 or your simply making things up for drama.

Its so funny.

What do you think big boy? Cos your giving the impression it should be less than $400 for both.

Keep playing blind to the stupidity some of your faction friends do,just because you ignore or play alone with what ever crap other lemmings say doesn't mean is not happening.

There is no Drama only a deluded lemming would believe that a console that cost $450 to make would be sell for more than $500 not only make little sense from the point of view of the entire PS history of consoles,but also because that would mean sony selling its unit which is weaker for more than what MS would sell there.

I think many of the shit say in this place is based around hate toward sony or wishful thinking.

No i don't think sony can go under $400 unless they are willing to get a bigger loss,but i think $400 and $449 could be logical.

It would be really brave of sony or foolish to have a $500 PS5 with smaller storage and weaker power,but then again the PS3 is there,but then again the PS3 was sold at a huge loss even that it was more expensive.

@StrongDeadlift said:

Cows: "Sony doesn't need to respond or react to MS' price. They're the most in demand. Sony doesn't listen to no-one"

I don't think they will undercut MS.

The PS5 at $449 is not undercutting the xbox series X,the PS5 is weaker with smaller storage it should be cheaper.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tdkmillsy

@tormentos said:
@tdkmillsy said:

Its so funny.

Keep playing blind to the stupidity some of your faction friends do,just because you ignore or play alone with what ever crap other lemmings say doesn't mean is not happening.

There is no Drama only a deluded lemming would believe that a console that cost $450 to make would be sell for more than $500 not only make little sense from the point of view of the entire PS history of consoles,but also because that would mean sony selling its unit which is weaker for more than what MS would sell there.

I think many of the shit say in this place is based around hate toward sony or wishful thinking.

No i don't think sony can go under $400 unless they are willing to get a bigger loss,but i think $400 and $449 could be logical.

It would be really brave of sony or foolish to have a $500 PS5 with smaller storage and weaker power,but then again the PS3 is there,but then again the PS3 was sold at a huge loss even that it was more expensive.

@StrongDeadlift said:

I don't think they will undercut MS.

The PS5 at $449 is not undercutting the xbox series X,the PS5 is weaker with smaller storage it should be cheaper.

So you constantly claim lemmings are saying they are expecting it to be above $500 yet provide no proof. You need to drop this because you have been caught out. Your making stuff up because you cannot provide proof.

Brave or foolish - attempting your own stealth there. Not a bad effort or maybe you just cant decide fancy that. Sometimes even fanboys dont know whats going to happen.

So nobody is claiming it will be above $500, if only we had the price and we could all stop guessing.