New information about the 4K Switch chip!

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

This was found on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/xj5dlq/nvidia_adds_tegra239_support_in_the_linux_kernel/

To explain briefly, T239 is the model number of the chip that Nintendo and Nvidia have been working on for upcoming hardware. This was leaked by a reliable Nvidia leaker last year (who got a lot about the 30 and 40 series right before announcement). This chip has now been 100% confirmed twice-over, though I'm sure that some of the slower among us (you know who you are) will still say it's fake out of cope from desperately wanting Nintendo to go back to AMD.

So, what does this reveal about the chip? It's an 8-core cluster, which means it's using the Cortex A78C architecture. For reference, that is 6 generations ahead of the current Switch chip. It's a massive jump, but of course it can run Switch code natively. That means full compatibility and no "double-dipping" as another certain idiot might call it. And this is most likely just a revision rather than a new generation! Sounds crazy, but the reveal of DLSS 3.0 today shows that a 2026 or so Switch 2 with the Ada architecture can be pretty impressive even if the jump on paper isn't huge.

Oh, and to preempt what I know someone will point out: Yes, I am aware that the Tegra X1 in the Switch also has 8 cores but 4 are disabled, so you may argue that Nintendo would do the same here. The difference this time is that the Switch's 8 cores are are in two clusters with different architectures, and it's not possible to run both clusters at the same time. Enabling the 4 small cores would not have had any impact on performance. IT would have saved battery life outside of gaming maybe, but nothing else. That's why those cores were disabled on most X1-based devices, including the flagship Nvidia Shield TV. Since this is one cluster in one architecture, this issue is moot and it's far less likely that cores would be disabled. Even if they are, it won't be more than 2.

Sadly, that's all we can get from this. We know the GPU architecture is Ampere (which is probably more believable to people now since it's "outdated"). Sadly, we can't determine the number of GPU cores from this.

Switch revisions happen every 2 years, so we pretty much know one is coming next year.

More about the A78C, which was announced in 2020: https://www.notebookcheck.net/ARM-announces-the-Cortex-A78C-a-new-variant-of-a-next-gen-high-end-core.501815.0.html

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Techhog89

@girlusocrazy said:

Sounds interesting, just being it out already. It's too late for Zelda: Tears but maybe Metroid Prime 4 will be able to take advantage of it.

Hopefully the cartridge prices come down or we won't get high quality assets. Witcher 3 used a huge cart and still looks like a**.

I'd like to know what configuration Nintendo uses, how much RAM, battery life...

Only bad thing about the BC is developers will want to target the largest install base so we might not get games that will be impossible on Switch for a long time, which means not many games from last gen (or current gen if that's even possible)

Not necessarily. H1 2023 has come up in some rumors, so it's possible it's releasing on the same day.

I also think that cloud versions is how they'll get some games running on base Switch that can only run on the new one.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44156 Posts

Sounds pretty good to me. I just want it to be fully backwards compatible. That would be most ideal for me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

I don't won't 4K Switch. I want better performance Switch.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

These are the textures of your most recent release. Why would you want to see them in 4k? It will look EXTRA fugly. Instead, Nintendo should be going back to 480p so they could hide their ancient engines from the 19th century.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

This information is interesting for geeks, but how is it relevant to the end consumer like me who is not into the technicalities of home consoles?

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

My Body is Ready.

I’ve always been rooting for Nintendo to obtain More Power.

4K and Ray Tracing sounds intriguing coming from Nintendo.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

This information is interesting for geeks, but how is it relevant to the end consumer like me who is not into the technicalities of home consoles?

You just answer your own question.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Techhog89

@davillain said:

It'll use DLSS and have a dramatically faster CPU, so you'll get both.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen

@techhog89 said:
@davillain said:

It'll use DLSS and have a dramatically faster CPU, so you'll get both.

Its a Nintendo system, you won't get either because its not important for their simple looking games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

We are doing this pipedream stuff again.🙄

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Lol...techdog at it again. I really hope Nintendo actually decides to go with AMD just so I could see your massive meltdown over here.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

4k is cool and all, but Nintendo should prioritize in having a respectable online infrastructure.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen

@jaydan said:

4k is cool and all, but Nintendo should prioritize in having a respectable online infrastructure.

How about having neither? Same poor online infrastructure from 2001 and 1080p max resolution. This is Nintendo we're talking about, they don't need anything, they have Mario and Zelda😊

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6864 Posts

I really wish they would put actual hardware in the dock so it could have better performance when hooked up to a TV. Mix that with a new cutting edge mobile chip and it could be a significant leap.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jaydan

@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:

How about having neither? Same poor online infrastructure from 2001 and 1080p max resolution. This is Nintendo we're talking about, they don't need anything, they have Mario and Zelda😊

I don't feel like I should be obligated to respond to you when you couldn't even respond to me in the other thread.

Well? What is it, Hardwenzen?

You gonna come back to work tomorrow? We got birthday parties to do.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:

I don't feel like I should be obligated to respond to you when you couldn't even respond to me in the other thread.

Well? What is it, Hardwenzen?

You gonna come back to work tomorrow? We got birthday parties to do.

Your other wall frustrated me, so i ignored it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Zelda: Tears of 4K

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

I crack up every time I see someone start to hype the idea of a Switch revision that is gonna suddenly hit 4k and all this other nonsense like Nintendo gives a flying **** about those kinds of specs.

Over five years into the Switch's lifespan and the thing is still selling like hotcakes and moving a metric **** ton of some dated games from the Wii-U era in numbers that Sony and Microsoft would literally kill to have even just one of their first party titles reach.

Nintendo wants to keep riding the Switch hardware right where its at power wise because they make money hand over fist on each Switch sold. Then there's the future and where Nintendo goes after the Switch. The longer Nintendo waits to push out a successor to the Switch the bigger the jump is in hardware power for less cost on Nintendo to produce the new system. On top of that the bigger the upgrade the more likely current Switch owners, which I remind you there's a **** ton of them out there like 100+ million, are to upgrade to the new Switch because they can see the tangible benefits right there in what is being shown. And with that there's less reason to have cross generation games which encourages people to upgrade even sooner.

A 4k capable Switch revision just makes the upgrade that less impressive to an audience that has been quite content with the Switch's performance when you look at the continued success on the sales charts around the world. You might get your underwear too far up your ass cause the Switch doesn't look good enough but the average consumer doesn't give a ****. If they did Mario Kart 8 Deluxe wouldn't be selling in the numbers it continues to move despite being a fucking Wii-U game that actually finished a development cycle instead of panic shoved out the door onto a dying console which was because an HD Wii.

Nintendo just showed off 20 seconds of new footage for Tears of the Kingdom and the internet lost their collective minds. And some people think Nintendo is worried about releasing a revision with 4k support during a period of continued production woes which see consoles around the world dealing with supply constraints in various areas. All while their currently hardware and software sell in droves that top sales charts and puts them far above the competition in units sold.

The Switch Successor will definitely be outputting 4k to a TV but you're a fucking fool if you think the next Switch revision is anything but the Switch Lite OLED.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Looks like a cool upgrade. And it will help us get GTA6 baby. Lets go Nintendo!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I'm still sceptical it'll be a 4k system, but whatever it is, it better be 100% backwards compatible.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hardwenzen
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'm still sceptical it'll be a 4k system, but whatever it is, it better be 100% backwards compatible.

Be happy if portable mode gets to 800p, let alone 1080p, and 4k is like a nice joke. This is not even the matter of being sceptical. If you believe that Nintendo of all people will reach 4k IN THIS DECADE, you're completely delusional. 100% of their games look simple for a reason, its so the resolution doesn't hide detail, detail that they don't even have in their games. Instead of crispy testures, they simply use a flat color. Not much has changed since the N64 days.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@hardwenzen: I agree that I don't think it'll be a 4k system (I'd be happy with a 1080p/60fps machine). But the rest I don't agree with.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mesome713

@hrt_rulz01: It’s gonna be a 4K system like XSX and PS5 are 8k systems. You see any PS5 games running in 8k? Hell no, that PoS struggles to run 4K.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Techhog89

@kejigoto: There won't be a OLED Switch Lite because the Lite isn't popular enough.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jaydan

@hardwenzen: My "other wall"?

Stfu

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts

@davillain: Exactly. What we want is 1080p/60fps OLED switch.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts

@hardwenzen: 1080p/60fps on a 7" OLED screen would look gorgeous tbh.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hardwenzen

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@hardwenzen: I agree that I don't think it'll be a 4k system (I'd be happy with a 1080p/60fps machine). But the rest I don't agree with.

Why? You can clearly see the kind of visuals Nintendo offers in their exclusives. Its as simple as cheap indie titles. You don't need a lot of processing power to render a color on screen.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen
@Mozelleple112 said:

@hardwenzen: 1080p/60fps on a 7" OLED screen would look gorgeous tbh.

If even the Deck doesn't have a 1080p screen, forget it being the case on the Switch.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7163 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Sounds interesting, just being it out already. It's too late for Zelda: Tears but maybe Metroid Prime 4 will be able to take advantage of it.

Hopefully the cartridge prices come down or we won't get high quality assets. Witcher 3 used a huge cart and still looks like a**.

I'd like to know what configuration Nintendo uses, how much RAM, battery life...

Only bad thing about the BC is developers will want to target the largest install base so we might not get games that will be impossible on Switch for a long time, which means not many games from last gen (or current gen if that's even possible)

yup to compete with the ps5 and series x. not ps6 and next xbox.

Nintendo fans lol.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Techhog89

@hardwenzen: You okay man? You usually only post once or twice, but you're living here.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mesome713

@techhog89: He’s getting scared. This new Super Nintendo Switch will be able to run Elden Ring, Elden Ring DLC, Elden Ring 2, Elden Ring 2 DLC, GTA6, and Zelda: TotK.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@davillain said:

For real.

Even if a Switch successor can output in 4K, I can't see any game worth playing actually running at 4K. Not while it's still a handheld first and foremost. Battery life and form factor will limit the power and cooling even if the chip is capable.

1080p is fine for a Swicth 2, and I just want the Zelda games to run well.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

What game would use it? Nintendo games wouldn't look that great in 4k

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mesome713

@Heil68: BotW looks amazing in 4K. So do many other Nintendo developed games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@techhog89 said:

@hardwenzen: You okay man? You usually only post once or twice, but you're living here.

Literally building a house in your thread, dude. And why would you ask me if i am OK? Of course i am. Simply building a house, nothing else.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

What? 2026!! Enjoy the wait my dudes! In the meantime I'll enjoy playing games like wolfenstein and the Doom games at a smooth 60fps on my Deck

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Good.. Nintendo needs to do something. It's sad that the consoles and games are selling so well when they have been on autopilot the last couple/few years... Been awhile since Nin has talked about or released anything I care about.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

It's still not a huge amount to go on really. I was also scratching my head wondering why it's being added to the linux kernel but that's quite straightforward in the end :P.

Also 4k? still not happening. it'll be 4K** at best.

On a side note though...i wonder could they have a Switch 2 Pro dock with an ADA based GPU in it to apply DLSS3 to switch 2 games? I only looked at it briefly but it looks like it needs previous frames (which the dock will get) and vector data...and maybe controller input. Then render games at 30 but still make it look and feel like 60 by putting in interpellated frames.....that would be a neat trick. that's way off though if it is doable.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

It's about time Nintendo leveled up.