New Guilty Gear teased at EVO2019

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#1 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) -

Hello there fighting fans on System Wars board!

Arc System Works has officially announced their new Guilty Gear installment at EVO2019.

• Developer: Arc System Works
  • Publisher: Arc System Works
  • Platforms: TBA
  • Release Date: TBA 2020

Tell me on your thoughts on this coming up fighting game?

Description taken from Youtube video (Translated into English):

The first game was released in 1998, and the 2D fighting game “GUILTY GEAR” series celebrated the 20th anniversary of the series in 2018.

A wide range of fans from all over the world were fascinated by the original system, world view, characters, and music. This year, the 21st year, we will announce the production of a new “GUILTY GEAR”.

This is the latest teaser trailer in the 2.5D fighting game "GUILTY GEAR" series from Arc System Works "TEAM RED". Expect to be released in 2020.

#2 Posted by I_P_Daily (12269 posts) -

That's not a racing game

#3 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

That's not a racing game

I guess you're confused with Taito's Battle Gear.

#4 Posted by I_P_Daily (12269 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@i_p_daily said:

That's not a racing game

No, think about what I said for a second lol.

#5 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@i_p_daily said:

That's not a racing game

Because of the word "gear"? even there is a shooter game called Gears Of War which is not even a racing game too.

#6 Posted by I_P_Daily (12269 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@i_p_daily said:

That's not a racing game

Because of the word "gear"? even there is a shooter game called Gears Of War which is not even a racing game too.

No lol. Never mind dude :)

#7 Posted by DaVillain- (37411 posts) -

So excited! Just hope they keep the characters I like in the roster and were golden. Look at those Anime characters! Holy shit I'm jumping on the hype train!!!

#8 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) -

@davillain- said:

So excited! Just hope they keep the characters I like in the roster and were golden. Look at those Anime characters! Holy shit I'm jumping on the hype train!!!

Well lets see how it goes, I doubt this game will release onto arcades in Japan/Asia by late 2020 first then home console version should be around late 2021.

When it comes to home console port then I also doubt it will be on Playstation 5, Nintendo Switch and PC.

#9 Posted by jg4xchamp (61678 posts) -

Guilty Gear is godlike.

#10 Edited by Ant_17 (12695 posts) -

I'm so hyped for this.

#11 Posted by Pedro (35379 posts) -

They really nailed the look for these games. Not much of a fan of the game itself.

#12 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11371 posts) -

I absolutely adore the visuals in these games in this engine. However, correct me if I'm wrong, the guilty gear games look like all rush down, mixups, and lengthy combos. The stuff I'm not fond of in fighting games. It looks like one person doing stuff and not letting the other person play for long periods of time. Again correct me if I'm wrong. I may be ignorant on this.

I'm more in to the neutral and interplay between the two players.

#13 Posted by Pedro (35379 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac: You can break the combo chains. That's all I know from playing it but its a heavy handed 2d fighting game.

#14 Posted by Ant_17 (12695 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@Pikminmaniac: You can break the combo chains. That's all I know from playing it but its a heavy handed 2d fighting game.

And not everyone is this.

#15 Posted by BoxRekt (1995 posts) -

Damn that's NASTY, why does everyone want my money?

If both this and KOF XV come in 2020 in gone be in gamer nirvana. Geez that like 4 or 5 must have games I'm counting for 2020 already and we aint even seen PS5 launch titles.

#16 Posted by jg4xchamp (61678 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac: lol, no. In fact guilty has a bunch of different gameplans and far more defensive mechanics to combat the offensive options in that game.

Just defend can make moves more negative for playing defense properly and getting your turn back, faultless defense can be used to push enemies off, deadangle n blitzattack let you gaurs cancel and punish shit like down tech buttons.

The game has actual invincible reversals unlike some fighting games that up n decided to kill them like they weren’t a pillar of the fighting system. Set play based oki is a thing, but truly fucked up mix ups require resources.

Said resources also govern supers, and there is a burst mechanic to get your self out of certain combo chains.

Guilty neutral is a bit weird, especially with Roman cancels, but it isn’t a rush down tod game like marvel or dragonball. It also isn’t the shit barrels that are SFV n MK11.

#17 Posted by uninspiredcup (34260 posts) -

Too anime.

#18 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11371 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: I learned fighting games through Street fighter and play SFV all the time. What I enjoy is the methodical neutral full of whiff punishing, counter pokes, and baiting. I also love the new Samsho for that same reason.

When I watch a guilty gear top 8 the characters are always in eachother's faces. Is it more about close offense/defense with the many mechanics you mentioned? I'll try anything though. I'm a sucker for animation and Guilty gear/dragonball wins that hands down. I'm always jealous of that presentation.

#19 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) -
@Pikminmaniac said:

I absolutely adore the visuals in these games in this engine. However, correct me if I'm wrong, the guilty gear games look like all rush down, mixups, and lengthy combos. The stuff I'm not fond of in fighting games. It looks like one person doing stuff and not letting the other person play for long periods of time. Again correct me if I'm wrong. I may be ignorant on this.

I'm more in to the neutral and interplay between the two players.

Well lets wait for Arc System Works to release another trailer for this coming up Guilty Gear installment by Tokyo Game Show 2019 so we can judge the game properly.

By the way BlazBlue and Guilty Gear are the only 2 Arc System Works fighting games that I like.

#20 Posted by Archangel3371 (28342 posts) -

Looks awesome. Hopefully this will have an Xbox One version.

#21 Posted by jg4xchamp (61678 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac: lots of folks learned fighting games through Street Fighter, including myself, but said games community has a bad habit of being wildly ignorant of the other scenes and what works.

Guilty Gear combos aren’t marvel long, tight conversions for counter hits n antiairs means damage isn’t as free without committing.

And unlike Street Fighter, guiltys cast is more wildly different from each other, because all of them have their own unique mechanics, gameplans, set play that no one really plays a like. Jam and Sol are the rush down characters in the game, and have major differences in how they work in neutral, what they ask for a safe jump, what they can do off air dash etc.

Guilty has blockstrings n mixups, but unlike dbfz it isn’t much of 50/50 thing unless you spent the resources to make it happen, and to mix up during strings you have to do something with big gaps in the pressure, or something that leaves you in bad spot.

Moves don’t have universal Gatling rules, the character I play for instance has the most limited Gatling paths in the game, so pressure is simple to deal with if you know the matchup. But in neutral and footsies situation my character has great tools, and is a powerhouse in terms of damage.

I’m sure they still play some accent core plus or guilty in your locals if not at a monthly in your area. It and Unist are probably the deepest 2D fighters on these new machines.

#22 Posted by jg4xchamp (61678 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: play Under Nite

#23 Edited by R-Gamer (407 posts) -

Looks awesome I love Guilty Gear. I'm generally really good at fighting games but I can't quite get good at these.

I really wish they would do another Dark Stalkers are Street fighter Alpha in this style. Although I know Arc system works does this Capcom should take notes.

#24 Posted by Ant_17 (12695 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@Pikminmaniac: lots of folks learned fighting games through Street Fighter, including myself, but said games community has a bad habit of being wildly ignorant of the other scenes and what works.

Guilty Gear combos aren’t marvel long, tight conversions for counter hits n antiairs means damage isn’t as free without committing.

And unlike Street Fighter, guiltys cast is more wildly different from each other, because all of them have their own unique mechanics, gameplans, set play that no one really plays a like. Jam and Sol are the rush down characters in the game, and have major differences in how they work in neutral, what they ask for a safe jump, what they can do off air dash etc.

Guilty has blockstrings n mixups, but unlike dbfz it isn’t much of 50/50 thing unless you spent the resources to make it happen, and to mix up during strings you have to do something with big gaps in the pressure, or something that leaves you in bad spot.

Moves don’t have universal Gatling rules, the character I play for instance has the most limited Gatling paths in the game, so pressure is simple to deal with if you know the matchup. But in neutral and footsies situation my character has great tools, and is a powerhouse in terms of damage.

I’m sure they still play some accent core plus or guilty in your locals if not at a monthly in your area. It and Unist are probably the deepest 2D fighters on these new machines.

They are not the only ones.

#25 Posted by enzyme36 (4255 posts) -

I just dont have enough lab time for this game. Only so many fighters I can main at once.

#26 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11371 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: cool

Yeah we have a big anime scene. Unist is probably the biggest one locally right now, but I think the majority like Guilty Gear the best.

We are all friendly to one another, but there's a clear separation between Street fighter, Tekken, and Anime.

#27 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) -
@jg4xchamp said:

@mclarenmaster18: play Under Nite

I've played it before, and it's okay but not as good as BlazBlue and Guilty Gear IMO.

#28 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) -
@Archangel3371 said:

Looks awesome. Hopefully this will have an Xbox One version.

I also doubt it might come onto Xbox Scarlett.

#29 Posted by jg4xchamp (61678 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac: should get into Unist more to be honest. It’s anime street fighter.