New graphics king inbound? (Planetside 2. Yeah I said graphics king)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Oh yes, another graphics king thread.

I was playing the beta for PS2 tonight, and despite the horrible textures (they really aren't good) this game is easily the best looking game I've ever seen, especially when you take into consideration the scale. At the least, it's the best lighting I've ever seen in a video game. So here are the pictures. If you've played the beta, throw up some of your own. I took these tonight.

Remember, 2000 players on the 64 square kilometer map.

planetside21.jpg

planetside22.jpg

planetside23.jpg

planetside24.jpg

planetside25.jpg

planetside26.jpg

planetside28.jpg

planetside27.jpg

planetside29.jpg

planetside210.jpg

planetside211.jpg

PC exclusive. F2P. Coming out eventually.

Here come the hate.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
I want my beta invite gdamn
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts
Not for me. I prefer straight up good graphics regardless of scale. Still yet to see a game that looks better than Crysis. BF3 is close though.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#5 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Uncharted 3 still looks better. The Last of Us is going to be the real graphics king next year.

But it looks good in graphics, however I would not get too excited. The only draw of the game is big battles, like 600 people or whatever. This is means the game will get boring, MAG was the same way, it was just a gimmick with it's big battle idea.

Planet Side 2 doesn't even have a campaign, so it's an instant fail. You should just buy Black Ops 2 when it comes out.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Uncharted 3 still looks better. The Last of Us is going to be the real graphics king next year.

But it looks good in graphics, however I would not get too excited. The only draw of the game is big battles, like 600 people or whatever. This is means the game will get boring, MAG was the same way, it was just a gimmick with it's big battle idea.

Planet Side 2 doesn't even have a campaign, so it's an instant fail. You should just buy Black Ops 2 when it comes out.

ShadowMoses900
I hope the next gen consoles ship with glasses.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

ShadowMoses900

People this is what happens when you are fed brillo pads as a baby

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

unimpressed-cat.jpgIts PC it better look the best. You're paying enough ....

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wasdie  Moderator

ShadowMoses900

You know nothing about what sets Planetside 2 apart from the rest of the games out there. Comparing it to MAG is laughable. I can't even begin to explain why you are wrong.

Uncharted 3 does not look better, not in a million years. Unlike you, I actually play both games. Even on my beautiful HDTV Uncharted 3 does not look better. The only area where Uncharted 3 beats Planetside 2 is in the textures and small details. However, the guys at SOE have confirmed several times that the renderer for PS2 is only running on their "medium" settings. Yes, that's "medium", not high or very high (the next two options). Even moreso, the artists of SoE have confirmed that the majority of the textures are placeholders as they are working on the final versions for launch sometime later.

But, I don't expect you to agree. You'll be an ignorant cow until the day Sony goes under (which is coming up pretty soon).

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Wasdie

You know nothing about what sets Planetside 2 apart from the rest of the games out there. Comparing it to MAG is laughable. I can't even begin to explain why you are wrong.

Uncharted 3 does not look better, not in a million years. Unlike you, I actually play both games. Even on my beautiful HDTV Uncharted 3 does not look better. The only area where Uncharted 3 beats Planetside 2 is in the textures and small details. However, the guys at SOE have confirmed several times that the renderer for PS2 is only running on their "medium" settings. Yes, that's "medium", not high or very high (the next two options).

But, I don't expect you to agree. You'll be an ignorant cow until the day Sony goes under (which is coming up pretty soon).

I'm in the beta and man does this game eat up performance during battles if what I was playing on max settings is actually medium I'm scared to see what happens when it's released

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jonwh18

ShadowMoses900

unimpressed-1.jpgI'm not going to put the effort in to give an obvious troll usch as yourself a better response then that.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
I'm extremely impressed with Planetside 2 as far as graphics go because of its scale and the lighting on its own puts a lot of corridor shooters to shame. Long range sniping is extremely enjoyable, if you enjoy sniping in games look no further.
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Wasdie, you're doing it wrong, everyone knows mods aren't supposed to make threads. God. If you wanna make threads we have to remove your permissions.

Otherwise, Planetside 2 is very beautiful.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

NoodleFighter

Uncharted 3 does not look better, not in a million years. Unlike you, I actually play both games. Even on my beautiful HDTV Uncharted 3 does not look better. The only area where Uncharted 3 beats Planetside 2 is in the textures and small details. However, the guys at SOE have confirmed several times that the renderer for PS2 is only running on their "medium" settings. Yes, that's "medium", not high or very high (the next two options).

I'm in the beta and man does this game eat up performance during battles if what I was playing on max settings is actually medium I'm scared to see what happens when it's released

I wouldn't worry about that. The engine is still uncomplete. Each patch has helped the game along in one way or another. The engine will take a few months to completley finished.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
Not enough blur, and not sub-HD resolution. Cannot be graphics king.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
I really hope they're working on optimizing the game. There's no reason I should be getting 15-20FPS on low settings. The game takes up less resources then BF3.
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 verbtex  Moderator

planetside23.jpg

Wasdie

The moon in this picture is not HD. Can't be graphics king.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Are you serious with the graphic king thing or just joking around?
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]I really hope they're working on optimizing the game. There's no reason I should be getting 15-20FPS on low settings. The game takes up less resources then BF3.

Upgrade your CPU, but yes the game still needs to be optimized quite a bit especially since it needs to work on low end systems as well.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wasdie  Moderator

Are you serious with the graphic king thing or just joking around?CanYouDiglt

What do you think?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Are you serious with the graphic king thing or just joking around?CanYouDiglt
Looks better then Halo 4...
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 verbtex  Moderator

ShadowMoses900

Hahaha. I'm probably the most cowish of the mods, and not even I will say something like that.

You're joking right? If not...well then....:|.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Looks good, but Crysis 2 ultra is still top of my list.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Are you serious with the graphic king thing or just joking around?Wasdie

What do you think?

I think you should answer just joking. I just watched a beta video and looked at the screens you shown. Graphics King it is not.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Are you serious with the graphic king thing or just joking around?CanYouDiglt

What do you think?

I think you should answer just joking. I just watched a beta video and looked at the screens you shown. Graphics King it is not.

And your reasoning for that is?

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Wasdie

Uncharted 3 does not look better, not in a million years. Unlike you, I actually play both games. Even on my beautiful HDTV Uncharted 3 does not look better. The only area where Uncharted 3 beats Planetside 2 is in the textures and small details. However, the guys at SOE have confirmed several times that the renderer for PS2 is only running on their "medium" settings. Yes, that's "medium", not high or very high (the next two options). Even moreso, the artists of SoE have confirmed that the majority of the textures are placeholders as they are working on the final versions for launch sometime later.

Uncharted 3 looks better. Maybe your bias is getting the best of you, but it's clearly the graphics king still.

photophotophoto/

I like you Wasdie, and I'm not just saying that because you are a mod. However PS3 can do great graphics to despite what Hermits say. Uncharted 3 is the graphics king, and if you think these look great you should see The Last of Us. It looks EVEN better!

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

What do you think?

Wasdie

Textures, detail, ect. What makes you think it should be since you are the one making the claim.
platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

i still think halo reach looks better....

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Are you serious with the graphic king thing or just joking around?CanYouDiglt

What do you think?

Here you go: glasses03.jpg
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ShadowMoses900

Wasdie, you're doing it wrong, everyone knows mods aren't supposed to make threads. God. If you wanna make threads we have to remove your permissions.

Otherwise, Planetside 2 is very beautiful.

verbtex

Are you serious? Why can't mods make threads? They should allowed to. Even if they are bias it's ok, this is SW, everyone here is biased.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

Very good looking game. I will definitely play it once its out.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 verbtex  Moderator

Uncharted 3 looks better. *insert lots of screenshots here*

ShadowMoses900

Those are some dressed up screenshots I think you've got there.

Maybe your bias is getting the best of you, but it's clearly the graphics king still.

ShadowMoses900

Does anyone else see the irony in this post?

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Nothing beats the graphic whores over at Crytek.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 verbtex  Moderator

ShadowMoses900

Maybe your bias is getting the best of you, but it's clearly the graphics king still.

ShadowMoses900

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 verbtex  Moderator

Are you serious? Why can't mods make threads? They should allowed to. Even if they are bias it's ok, this is SW, everyone here is biased.

ShadowMoses900

What do you think? Do you see mods making threads?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

Uncharted 3 looks better. Maybe your bias is getting the best of you, but it's clearly the graphics king still.

I like you Wasdie, and I'm not just saying that because you are a mod. However PS3 can do great graphics to despite what Hermits say. Uncharted 3 is the graphics king, and if you think these look great you should see The Last of Us. It looks EVEN better!

Wow, posting down-resedbullshots. That's crap posting even by your standards. Anybody who played it KNOW the game didn't look like that. Stop fooling yourself.

Uncharted 3 looked good, it looked damn good. But it's outclassed. There are many games that look better when actually rendered in real time, not just stills taken from the game, extra post processing added, and then downsized to hide the obvious aliasing that was going on throughout the entire game.

Noticed how I posted 1080p shots? The JPG compression of FRAPs actually really hurts the image quality. I can assure you the game looks quite a bit more sharp when rendered at 60fps on my monitor. Though it often dips to 40fps thanks to the horrible optimization of the engine right now.

The only person you're fooling is yourself at this point.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

photophotophoto/

congratulations-idiot.gif

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wasdie  Moderator

Nothing beats the graphic whores over at Crytek.

Mr_BillGates

We'll see with Crysis 3, but many games today already look better than Crysis. Crysis doesn't have nearly the lighting capabilities of even the CryEngine 3. Crysis 2 outclassed it with its lighting alone.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

verbtex

ShadowMoses900

yes

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

Very good looking game. Will play it once it out.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#42 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Man those textures are bad. I guess it looks good, but I have to play a game to be sure how good it looks.

Nfan89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nfan89
Member since 2012 • 57 Posts
The PC reign continues. Take notes...
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]I think you should answer just joking. I just watched a beta video and looked at the screens you shown. Graphics King it is not.CanYouDiglt

Textures, detail, ect. What makes you think it should be since you are the one making the claim.

Well I posted the pictures, so that's my evidence. I guess we'll ignore the entire premise of this post.

As for textures and detail, SOE has clearly stated that the textures are just placeholders for a lot of them. Though the game will not have the really small level detail that games like Gears of War and Uncharted have because of the massive scale. Crysis doesn't even have that level of detail on the small scale because the engine is rendering 1-2 kms out.

Planetside 2's draw distance is about 2 kms. I've seen roughly 30-40 tanks on my screen at any given time. Each single lighting sorce cast dynamic light on the environment, which produces some simpley remarkeable images btw. The fact that the game runs at 60fps with over 500 players in the vinicity, with 100+ of them being rendered at once also must be taken into consideration.

I could keep going.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
I like you Wasdie, and I'm not just saying that because you are a mod.ShadowMoses900
Nice to see you answering like that. Wasdie, you are a mod and you must be an example. Treating people like cows/lems/sheep/hermits by mods isn't correct imo. There are other ways (and better) to end up an argument.
However PS3 can do great graphics to despite what Hermits say. ShadowMoses900
Yes, and Wasdie has acknowledged this several times in the past.
Uncharted 3 is the graphics king, and if you think these look great you should see The Last of Us. It looks EVEN better!ShadowMoses900
No it isn't. TLOU looks great, but some PC games are in another league... like PS2
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

verbtex

Proof?

ShadowMoses900

Bias? Yes. However Uncharted 3 is the best looking game I have ever played. I have never played PlanetSide 2 before, but based off of those screenshots Wasdie took and what I have seen of the game in gameplay videos, it does not look better than Uncharted 3. Only games that do are The Last of Us and God of War Acension

My responses in bold.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

In two years when all the release textures are in and the renderer is squared away you may be right.

But as of now (having put 100+ hours in) I think Witcher 2 and Crysis 1 modded/2 are superior.

On the other hand, it is a technical masterpiece given the size of battles / strategy / map size etc. On those grounds it definitely is unique.

Uncharted 3 / Blops 2: Apples to dirt comparison. Corridors with nice sky boxes don't count as 'graphics' anymore. Open world games are the only graphics / engines that are impressive.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="verbtex"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Proof?

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

Bias? Yes. However Uncharted 3 is the best looking game I have ever played. I have never played PlanetSide 2 before, but based off of those screenshots Wasdie took and what I have seen of the game in gameplay videos, it does not look better than Uncharted 3. Only games that do are The Last of Us and God of War Acension

My responses in bold.

615426_20111024_screen011.jpg

This is what Uncharted 3 looks like when rendered. Direct feed shot from Gamespot.

That is a massive far cry from what you posted.

It's a damn good looking game in its own right, but it's foolish to believe a 6 year old game can outclass a PC game that is coming out in 2012-2013.

It's simply time for a new generation of consoles. It's getting sad.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="verbtex"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Proof?

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

My responses in bold.

how convenient that those also happen to be PS3 games. Whichconveniently happens to the the piece of plastic you worship.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 verbtex  Moderator

Proof?

ShadowMoses900

I played Uncharted 3 on my Playstation. On a 26 inch LED TV. Naughty Dog I have admitted as one of my favorite developers. I know the game was beautiful, by a lot of standards. Infact, it really impressed me when I first started up the game, but the game is not prettier than this game.