New format for Sony? Maybe Sony isn't doomed after all......

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

.....J/K probably is, lulz

Was reading an article about a new TV type that supposed to bring Sony out of the red, and had a thought.

This is just speculation, but their new TVs have such a high definition that no media format suitable to store data for "4K" TVs, and I was thinking, maybe Sony is planning to unveil a new format alongside the launch of the PS4.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

We're all doomed.

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

yeah... sony is doooomed

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

Was reading an article about a new TV type that supposed to bring Sony out of the red, and had a thought.

This is just speculation, but their new TVs have such a high definition that no media format suitable to store data for "4K" TVs, and I was thinking, maybe Sony is planning to unveil a new format alongside the launch of the PS4.

TopTierHustler

that would be pretty risky. the ps3's high launch price caused them no small amount of problems early this gen. would that be something they'd want to risk repeating?

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

CaseyWegner

that would be pretty risky. the ps3's high launch price caused them no small amount of problems early this gen. would that be something they'd want to risk repeating?

The format is rumored to be 4K blu-ray, so it might not be as expensive as it was initially going from DVD to blu-ray since it could be basically the same disc technology.

I agree it would be risky if the disc drive alone forces the console to be $500 or $600 (and still sold at a loss). Actually that wouldn't just be risky, it would be suicidal. However if they can comfortably fit it into a $399 console then I'm sure they will want 4K in there to help sell their 4K televisions for the next 5-10 years. I kind of expect 4K to be part of PS4, but it also depends on the cost. Maybe it will just "upscale" 4K - which they already have a $200 blu-ray player early to the market that is capable of doing that. So I'm sure that is the minimum for what the PS4 would support.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12354 Posts
Blu Ray drives can already reach 12x speeds and Sharp developed 100GB Blu Ray discs in 2010. Blu Ray + Digital is the future. Not to mention Sony is selling its optical disc company this year.
free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

A new tv type is never good seeing as their mostly really expensive so noone will buy it.

3d tv's still arent as popular as normal flat screens

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

PS4K:cool:

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 free_milk

Cheleman
put your old sig back it was better then this crapy new one ):
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cheleman

[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

free_milk

Really?

:cry:

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

There are 128gb 4 layer Blu Ray XL discs and BDXL players/burners have been on the market since 2010/11.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 free_milk

[QUOTE="free_milk"][QUOTE="Cheleman"]

Cheleman

Really?

yh the old one was epic and besides i hate twilight.
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

CaseyWegner

If they could get the price of manufacturing down, I'd say yes.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cheleman

[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

[QUOTE="free_milk"] put your old sig back it was better then this crapy new one ):free_milk

Really?

yh the old one was epic and besides i hate twilight.

:P

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#15 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I do not care. All I know is PS4 will come and it will be amazing with amazing games. This is all I care about.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 free_milk

I do not care. All I know is PS4 will come and it will be amazing with amazing games. This is all I care about.

ShadowMoses900
lolz Wonderbook 2
Avatar image for todd2r_Partdeux
todd2r_Partdeux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 todd2r_Partdeux
Member since 2012 • 762 Posts
No need to concern ourselves with Sony and whatever they may be doing. They will screw it up as always.
bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

CaseyWegner

This is Sony were talking about though....
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Even thought you're kidding, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony put out a Red Ray format that was in 4k res, or something like it. It would be a huge mistake to put out something like that now.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

I don't know why they are pushing such high-def resolutions for TVs and movies.

The hottest people on the planet are going to look ugly when you can see every single blemish and imperfection on their face. Even male actors will have to cake themselves in make-up.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

they should release that when there is a market for it. i don't know how many people would buy a tv for 5k would buy it right now. Maybe in 2 or 3 years....and as long as ps4 can capitalize on it, then they would be fine. Releasing it now is like what they did to the ps3....

3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

Has anyone told Sony we are in a bad world wide recession. They think people are going to pay money for cutting edge worthless technology when most people are just getting use to LCD's that have 720P. I love the playstation brand but I think Sony is dommed to fail if they push this junk in times where people just want better quality products and cheaper prices.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

We're all doomed.

dragonfly110
It's 2012 anyways. Sony doomed? Please, Japan will probably be the last place to be affected by the apocalypse.
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

yeah F that

Sorry Sony cant support you on this one.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
I'm sure a Blu-Ray can hold a 4k movie.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Has anyone told Sony we are in a bad world wide recession. They think people are going to pay money for cutting edge worthless technology when most people are just getting use to LCD's that have 720P. I love the playstation brand but I think Sony is dommed to fail if they push this junk in times where people just want better quality products and cheaper prices.

3rdbass
i think so 2...but then apparently the recession has been over for a couple of years now lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Unless they're are instantly going to make budget 4k HDTVs then this probably wont take off.. I'm guessing. D:

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

2Chalupas

The format is rumored to be 4K blu-ray, so it might not be as expensive as it was initially going from DVD to blu-ray since it could be basically the same disc technology.

I agree it would be risky if the disc drive alone forces the console to be $500 or $600 (and still sold at a loss). Actually that wouldn't just be risky, it would be suicidal. However if they can comfortably fit it into a $399 console then I'm sure they will want 4K in there to help sell their 4K televisions for the next 5-10 years. I kind of expect 4K to be part of PS4, but it also depends on the cost. Maybe it will just "upscale" 4K - which they already have a $200 blu-ray player early to the market that is capable of doing that. So I'm sure that is the minimum for what the PS4 would support.

4k resolution and you are talking about a disk drive? o.O If it's simple upscale then there won't be visual difference between 4k, 1080p or 720p. If they plan on pulling out hardware that's powerful enough to support gaming at 4k resolution, then the GPU itself should be more expensive than the combined price of a PS3 and 360.
Wiiyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wiiyou
Member since 2012 • 650 Posts
I think Sony will keep Bluray but focus more on DigitalDownload next gen.
AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

There is 4k blu ray players already out there is no need for new media.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

The future is no format, the future is digital distribution and large HDD and SDD disks (also real-time streaming).

DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

I don't know why they are pushing such high-def resolutions for TVs and movies.

The hottest people on the planet are going to look ugly when you can see every single blemish and imperfection on their face. Even male actors will have to cake themselves in make-up.

balfe1990

It's actually pretty simple, it's the future ! I understand your concern, but do trust when i tell you that it will look like something out of this world !