New FFXI expansion announced!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Chutebox (43505 posts) -

For all 5 of us here that care, link

PS2 version is Japan only, oddly.

#2 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11681 posts) -
Well look at that Square Enix decided to make an expansion pack for an old old old old game for PS2 before even releasing that one game they announced ummm 7 years ago?
#3 Posted by Wiimotefan (4150 posts) -

At this point I'm almost positive that SE has a bucket full of random ideas written on fortune cookie paper and they go to this bucket for literally every decision.

Maybe its 3 buckets. One for new project, one for remake, and then the 3rd bucket decides the platform(s). I'm hoping tomorrow they draw FFVI for next gen consoles. Would be pretty sweet.

#4 Posted by Chutebox (43505 posts) -

At this point I'm almost positive that SE has a bucket full of random ideas written on fortune cookie paper and they go to this bucket for literally every decision.

Maybe its 3 buckets. One for new project, one for remake, and then the 3rd bucket decides the platform(s). I'm hoping tomorrow they draw FFVI for next gen consoles. Would be pretty sweet.

Wiimotefan
What prompted this response?
#5 Posted by Wiimotefan (4150 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

Chutebox

Ha, serious? This doesn't seem really random to you? It seems pretty random to me and coupled with the FFVII PC re-release announced the other day its just bizarre in a way.

I'm not hatin or anything, but SE been making some really awkward moves these past few years and it just seems they're getting more random all the time.

#6 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

Wow. Was my all time favorite MMO pre-ToAU. I still get the urge to play when I see new content like this, but previous experience has shown me it simply isn't the game it once was. I still know a few people in town that are thrilled right about now.

#7 Posted by spinecaton (8986 posts) -

I was actually in the middle of installing this...

#8 Posted by travisstaggs (10562 posts) -

Wiimotefan
Pretty much this. :lol:
#9 Posted by Chutebox (43505 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

Wiimotefan

Ha, serious? This doesn't seem really random to you? It seems pretty random to me and coupled with the FFVII PC re-release announced the other day its just bizarre in a way.

I'm not hatin or anything, but SE been making some really awkward moves these past few years and it just seems they're getting more random all the time.

Online games get expansions all the time in their lifetime, nothing random.
#10 Posted by eboyishere (12681 posts) -
This is amazing, i have never seen a company this unstable AND STILL MAKING A PROFIT Should have went into game developing as a career....damn
#11 Posted by sandbox3d (5166 posts) -

.... ... .. Wut? I thought surely you meant to write FFXIV expansion. Great news for FFXI fans but this is really out of nowhere.

iz9a2a.jpg

#12 Posted by Jynxzor (9313 posts) -
I don't see why people are so suprised about this. FFXI still holds a rather healthy population of players who are still paying a monthly fee to the game. Of course SE is going to keep supporting it.
#13 Posted by CIintBeastwood (25 posts) -
I don't see why people are so suprised about this. FFXI still holds a rather healthy population of players who are still paying a monthly fee to the game. Of course SE is going to keep supporting it.Jynxzor
Console games don't believe in long-term support. This concept is foreign to them They see FFXI and think "omglololdgame" when it reality it easily makes 250k subs last I heard. Pretty good for "lolps2game" Kinda funny to see some people somehow spin this negative. Devs are damned if they do, damned if they don't
#14 Posted by Kashiwaba (8058 posts) -

FFXI it remeinds of the old good days :D loved that game played it for almost 5 years with over 600 days playtime but cmon SE the game is already 10 years old just let it die and focus on FFXIV + DQX.

#15 Posted by travisstaggs (10562 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]I don't see why people are so suprised about this. FFXI still holds a rather healthy population of players who are still paying a monthly fee to the game. Of course SE is going to keep supporting it.CIintBeastwood
Console games don't believe in long-term support. This concept is foreign to them They see FFXI and think "omglololdgame" when it reality it easily makes 250k subs last I heard. Pretty good for "lolps2game" Kinda funny to see some people somehow spin this negative. Devs are damned if they do, damned if they don't

I play mostly on PC and still find this kinda weird. It's not that I think it's uncommon, but it's just really random. I love that Square are still working on FFXI content, but there hasn't been an expansion to FFXI in how long now? 3 years I think. Also with FFXIV being their other online MMORPG most people would assume they would be making a expansion for it instead or working on ways to improve it.

#16 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

Wiimotefan

Thing is though FFXI has a small but dedicated fanbase who are willing to pay and pay even after a decade.Just like ultima online or everquest theres still a small but dedicated market to keep it sustainable.

#17 Posted by Junsei (723 posts) -
wow that is great. there hasnt been a full expandsion since 2007. i wonder how the ps2 players are feeling about this. it only said xbox and pc
#18 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -
What? WHY They should be supporting Final Fantasy XIV
#19 Posted by soulitane (15091 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]What? WHY They should be supporting Final Fantasy XIV

They shouldn't have made IV and just stuck with the one that worked :P
#20 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4487 posts) -
[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]What? WHY They should be supporting Final Fantasy XIV

They shouldn't have made IV and just stuck with the one that worked :P

They should have released Versus XIII years ago and yet they're still doing crap like this...I'm pretty sure now the CEO board is full of wind-up pantomime monkeys drawing random stuff out of hats like the poster above described.
#21 Posted by Chutebox (43505 posts) -

[QUOTE="CIintBeastwood"][QUOTE="Jynxzor"]I don't see why people are so suprised about this. FFXI still holds a rather healthy population of players who are still paying a monthly fee to the game. Of course SE is going to keep supporting it.travisstaggs

I play mostly on PC and still find this kinda weird. It's not that I think it's uncommon, but it's just really random. I love that Square are still working on FFXI content, but there hasn't been an expansion to FFXI in how long now? 3 years I think. Also with FFXIV being their other online MMORPG most people would assume they would be making a expansion for it instead or working on ways to improve it.

Kind of. They released a series of add-ons (abyssea, legion, added new areas to old places, and voidwatch) that added a **** load of content.

#22 Posted by hispiforce (25 posts) -
How do you guys expect them to make a FFXIV expansion when the game is not finished yet? FFXIII Versus has the Kingdom Hearts team working on it. Has nothing to do with the devs for FFXIV or FFXI
#23 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
I'm so tempted to start playing this again.
#24 Posted by WTA2k5 (3999 posts) -

They probably make these on a budget of about 25 dollars.

#25 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]What? WHY They should be supporting Final Fantasy XIV

What? They've spent The last year and a half redoing much of what was wrong with the game, put in some nice limited time content for the loyal early adopters to enjoy this summer, and are relaunching this fall with the long delayed PS3 release early next year. What else were you wanting them to do, exactly? Most of the responses in this thread seem to imply SE has forgotten in favor of this project, and totally at random. SE is a large company, with many teams devoted to different projects, including a team that maintains and develops regular content updates for XI, even though most never realized, because seasonal updates don't get nearly the press that a full retail expansion does. That's the team doing this expansion, and they'll continue developing expansions and updates, while also maintaining the game for as long as enough gamers keep playing. Those looking for a reason why their pet project isn't here will have to look elsewhere.