New F1 review for PS3!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Bleach_is_basic
Bleach_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bleach_is_basic
Member since 2002 • 3020 Posts
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158214 "Find F1 just too boring to watch? Don't worry - if this simulation is anything like authentic, then the people taking part aren't having any fun either. Perhaps that's why they all drive so fast - they're just desperate to get it over with. Whatever, this really very attractive game is hand-wringingly dull. Here's why: the handling is terrible. In fact, it's so flawed there's simply never a time when it's fun, or even satisfying, to drive these cars. Despite being helpless fans of the real sport, even in its current state - we're being generous calling it a 'sport', for instance - playing Formula One Championship Edition quickly becomes a chore. And that's a shame." 4.8 out of 10 Wasn't there an interview with the developer just the other day that someone posted talking about how each and every rain drop was being calculated in real time, etc, etc....? I guess awesome rain does not an awesome game make.
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts
[QUOTE="Bleach_is_basic"]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158214 "Find F1 just too boring to watch? Don't worry - if this simulation is anything like authentic, then the people taking part aren't having any fun either. Perhaps that's why they all drive so fast - they're just desperate to get it over with. Whatever, this really very attractive game is hand-wringingly dull. Here's why: the handling is terrible. In fact, it's so flawed there's simply never a time when it's fun, or even satisfying, to drive these cars. Despite being helpless fans of the real sport, even in its current state - we're being generous calling it a 'sport', for instance - playing Formula One Championship Edition quickly becomes a chore. And that's a shame." 4.8 out of 10 Wasn't there an interview with the developer just the other day that someone posted talking about how each and every rain drop was being calculated in real time, etc, etc....? I guess awesome rain does not an awesome game make.

teh cell!
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158214 "Find F1 just too boring to watch? Don't worry - if this simulation is anything like authentic, then the people taking part aren't having any fun either. Perhaps that's why they all drive so fast - they're just desperate to get it over with. Whatever, this really very attractive game is hand-wringingly dull. Here's why: the handling is terrible. In fact, it's so flawed there's simply never a time when it's fun, or even satisfying, to drive these cars. Despite being helpless fans of the real sport, even in its current state - we're being generous calling it a 'sport', for instance - playing Formula One Championship Edition quickly becomes a chore. And that's a shame." 4.8 out of 10 Wasn't there an interview with the developer just the other day that someone posted talking about how each and every rain drop was being calculated in real time, etc, etc....? I guess awesome rain does not an awesome game make.Bleach_is_basic

More PS3 suckage

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
[QUOTE="Bleach_is_basic"]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158214 "Find F1 just too boring to watch? Don't worry - if this simulation is anything like authentic, then the people taking part aren't having any fun either. Perhaps that's why they all drive so fast - they're just desperate to get it over with. Whatever, this really very attractive game is hand-wringingly dull.

Sounds like the reviewer just hates F1.
flipknoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 flipknoc
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts
who cares about f1 racing.  everybody know gran turismo is the real driving sim.

jamesfoti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 jamesfoti
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts
Shame, I had high hopes for this game.
Bleach_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bleach_is_basic
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="Bleach_is_basic"]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158214 "Find F1 just too boring to watch? Don't worry - if this simulation is anything like authentic, then the people taking part aren't having any fun either. Perhaps that's why they all drive so fast - they're just desperate to get it over with. Whatever, this really very attractive game is hand-wringingly dull.

Maybe you missed the second paragraph where the reviews says "despite being helpless fans of the real sport..."
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
The demo was crud. The cars looked decent but the tracks reminded me of the old Dreamcast F1 racer. God bless its soul.
jachichorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jachichorro
Member since 2004 • 3058 Posts
who cares about f1 racing. everybody know gran turismo is the real driving sim.

flipknoc

More like Forza. Good try anyway.
OldParr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OldParr
Member since 2006 • 2996 Posts
wow i like F1 i dont know what happen!!
sdifjds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sdifjds
Member since 2003 • 1088 Posts
This game looks amazing. But we don't really need a technical showcase at this stage if thats all it is
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

flipknoc

You set your profile to private...but I'm guessing that with 317 posts at level 1...and a blind love for all things Sony...Reset7machines...is that YOU!?! oh my GAWD!

milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 milsvaard
Member since 2003 • 1928 Posts
[QUOTE="Bleach_is_basic"]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158214 "Find F1 just too boring to watch? Don't worry - if this simulation is anything like authentic, then the people taking part aren't having any fun either. Perhaps that's why they all drive so fast - they're just desperate to get it over with. Whatever, this really very attractive game is hand-wringingly dull. Here's why: the handling is terrible. In fact, it's so flawed there's simply never a time when it's fun, or even satisfying, to drive these cars. Despite being helpless fans of the real sport, even in its current state - we're being generous calling it a 'sport', for instance - playing Formula One Championship Edition quickly becomes a chore. And that's a shame." 4.8 out of 10 Wasn't there an interview with the developer just the other day that someone posted talking about how each and every rain drop was being calculated in real time, etc, etc....? I guess awesome rain does not an awesome game make.

Sucks man, they should sell the license back to EA, Championship 99-00 was amazing.
RCade3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RCade3
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts
We only us gs reviews. 
dracolich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dracolich666
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts
ouch. Im not suprised. I love F1, but for the past few years they have sucked.
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

[QUOTE="Bleach_is_basic"]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158214 "Find F1 just too boring to watch? Don't worry - if this simulation is anything like authentic, then the people taking part aren't having any fun either. Perhaps that's why they all drive so fast - they're just desperate to get it over with. Whatever, this really very attractive game is hand-wringingly dull.darklord888

Preety Much

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
We only us gs reviews. RCade3

Ok, true, but two reviews now have given this game a 4...and they ain't 4 outta 5's.
reilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 reilo
Member since 2004 • 1131 Posts
If Formula One is boring to him, then how does he find Nascar??
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darklord888
[QUOTE="Bleach_is_basic"][QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="Bleach_is_basic"]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158214 "Find F1 just too boring to watch? Don't worry - if this simulation is anything like authentic, then the people taking part aren't having any fun either. Perhaps that's why they all drive so fast - they're just desperate to get it over with. Whatever, this really very attractive game is hand-wringingly dull.

Maybe you missed the second paragraph where the reviews says "despite being helpless fans of the real sport..."

Ok that was a pre-mature post from me. >_>
Bleach_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bleach_is_basic
We only us gs reviews. RCade3
No joke. I'm not claiming "ownage" or anything like that. That'll be saved for when GS reviews the game. I'm just putting this out there more like news for people to discuss.
rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 rocktimusprime
Member since 2006 • 3721 Posts

4.8 is the new 7.8. har har har har
RCade3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RCade3
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts
[QUOTE="RCade3"]We only us gs reviews. TheSystemLord1

Ok, true, but two reviews now have given this game a 4...and they ain't 4 outta 5's.

ouch i didn't know there where two, who else reviewed it?
klabut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 klabut
Member since 2006 • 3264 Posts
[QUOTE="RCade3"]We only us gs reviews. TheSystemLord1

I agree even though it's not gs having two sites give it a rating that low you can almost guarantee that the game won't score good.
MGS9150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MGS9150
Member since 2004 • 2491 Posts
Thats not a credible source, wait for the GS or ign review.
Bleach_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bleach_is_basic

[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="Bleach_is_basic"]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158214 "Find F1 just too boring to watch? Don't worry - if this simulation is anything like authentic, then the people taking part aren't having any fun either. Perhaps that's why they all drive so fast - they're just desperate to get it over with. Whatever, this really very attractive game is hand-wringingly dull.Blinblingthing

Preety Much

I guess you missed it too huh? PLEASE DON"T SAY "I GUESS THE REVIEWER JUST HATES F1" He says in the part of the review that I quoted that he is a "helpless fan of the real sport" It's called reading people...right to left, up and down...try it out sometime.
Bleach_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bleach_is_basic
MGS9150
Why isn't it a credible source? Seems pretty well written to me.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
But I thought next-gen graphics make the games better.
klabut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 klabut
MGS9150
They may not be as credible as other sites but they're not that bad it's unlikely the game will score higher by an incredible amount on gs.
dracolich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dracolich666
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

But I thought next-gen graphics make the games better.Darth matt

To cows it does, look at their launch. :lol:

Vojkan80001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 Vojkan80001
Member since 2005 • 3621 Posts

I have F1 2006 for PS2 and game is a lot of fun. I really dont understand why this game got such a low score? 4.8!? Even Genji outscored that and i mean OUTSOCRED! At worse case game deserves strong 6.

PS2 version game, i would give 8.2 I had a blast for a month.

chrisoff_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chrisoff_1
Member since 2003 • 4138 Posts

sounds like they have all the driving nanny features switched on read this quote

Not only is this deeply unexciting, it's not even realistic. In real life F1 cars still slide, and their drivers can still use their throttles to steer, but you can't do any of that here. You just press and go. What's more, very smooth drivers like Jenson Button avoid triggering the traction control and go faster for it - it would have been great to try the same thing. But you can't even hear it working. It's fake. You just press and go.

But even while the back end can be left totally to its own (electronic) devices, the front is all over the place. It's never predictable, and because the back won't slide however much you provoke it, there's little you can do but wait as it ploughs across the track, then panic as it suddenly lunges into the corner. What should have been a smooth arc becomes like the edge of a 50p piece.

the way they describe the handling certainly sounds that way, i hope im right anyway and these guys as well as edge got it wrong but its looking less likely, the fact they dont even talk about the diffrent realism switches makes me wonder if they simply didnt play it enough to find out

Kayrod29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Kayrod29
Member since 2005 • 5301 Posts

flipknoc
LOL self-owned, GT isn't a racing sim.
Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Tony_aaaa
Member since 2007 • 475 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping this would be the title to convince me to buy a PS3 :( Wait, did anyone actually try a "wheel" controller??? Maybe (I hope) the steering issues only exist on the standard controller.  Is there EVER going to be a title that beats the PC's Grand Prix Legends??  I mean it's like a 10 year old sim.
Vojkan80001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vojkan80001

sounds like they have all the driving nanny features switched on read this quote

Not only is this deeply unexciting, it's not even realistic. In real life F1 cars still slide, and their drivers can still use their throttles to steer, but you can't do any of that here. You just press and go. What's more, very smooth drivers like Jenson Button avoid triggering the traction control and go faster for it - it would have been great to try the same thing. But you can't even hear it working. It's fake. You just press and go.

But even while the back end can be left totally to its own (electronic) devices, the front is all over the place. It's never predictable, and because the back won't slide however much you provoke it, there's little you can do but wait as it ploughs across the track, then panic as it suddenly lunges into the corner. What should have been a smooth arc becomes like the edge of a 50p piece.

the way they describe the handling certainly sounds that way, i hope im right anyway and these guys as well as edge got it wrong but its looking less likely

chrisoff_1

Yes i noticed that. Best part about this game is gameplay. You can choose so many things, helpers, about you car and so on. I respect opinion when two sites give it basically same score but after reading both review it seems that they didnt get the part where you adjust difficulty and other stuff on you car.

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
who cares about f1 racing.  everybody know gran turismo is the real driving sim.

flipknoc
I'm just gonna go ahead and say damage control. This is gonna be another PS3 flop sadly. Don't call me biased because I'm picking up a PS3 tommorow. -_-
fahadq8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fahadq8
Member since 2006 • 108 Posts
lol :D
Vojkan80001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vojkan80001

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping this would be the title to convince me to buy a PS3 :( Wait, did anyone actually try a "wheel" controller??? Maybe (I hope) the steering issues only exist on the standard controller.  Is there EVER going to be a title that beats the PC's Grand Prix Legends??  I mean it's like a 10 year old sim.Tony_aaaa

Waith for reviews from gametrailers, IGN, 1up and GS. Game is not AAA, probably not AA either but this guys that gave such a low score seem that they have problems with settings. O and if you were expecting that this game is system seller, than really man, you were asking WAY 2 much.

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
[QUOTE="flipknoc"]who cares about f1 racing. everybody know gran turismo is the real driving sim.

Kayrod29
LOL self-owned, GT isn't a racing sim.

Really?... oh let me guess.. driving sim?
klabut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 klabut
[QUOTE="flipknoc"]who cares about f1 racing. everybody know gran turismo is the real driving sim.

DA_B0MB
I'm just gonna go ahead and say damage control. This is gonna be another PS3 flop sadly. Don't call me biased because I'm picking up a PS3 tommorow. -_-

The game got moderate hype. I haven't played it but it's never good when your Console has a game that "flops" especially when the ps3 library is already dried up.
Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tony_aaaa
Member since 2007 • 475 Posts

[QUOTE="Tony_aaaa"]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping this would be the title to convince me to buy a PS3 :( Wait, did anyone actually try a "wheel" controller??? Maybe (I hope) the steering issues only exist on the standard controller.  Is there EVER going to be a title that beats the PC's Grand Prix Legends??  I mean it's like a 10 year old sim.Vojkan80001

Waith for reviews from gametrailers, IGN, 1up and GS. Game is not AAA, probably not AA either but this guys that gave such a low score seem that they have problems with settings. O and if you were expecting that this game is system seller, than really man, you were asking WAY 2 much.

I wasn't expecting a system seller, just something to push ME to buy a PS3. I do like racing sims, but have never seen one as good as GPL :( Well, hopefully someone will review it with the driving aids off (or at least have the current reviews state whether they were or not) If it comes even close to GPL, I'll probably buy it....meh
vistamanV5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 vistamanV5
Member since 2005 • 957 Posts
[QUOTE="DA_B0MB"][QUOTE="flipknoc"]who cares about f1 racing. everybody know gran turismo is the real driving sim.

klabut

The game got moderate hype. I haven't played it but it's never good when your Console has a game that "flops" especially when the ps3 library is already dried up.

A couple of the ultra hardcore cows like Yo-Foo and Wii something, hyped this game AAA.
rahzel54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 rahzel54
Member since 2004 • 1732 Posts
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"][QUOTE="Bleach_is_basic"]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158214 "Find F1 just too boring to watch? Don't worry - if this simulation is anything like authentic, then the people taking part aren't having any fun either. Perhaps that's why they all drive so fast - they're just desperate to get it over with. Whatever, this really very attractive game is hand-wringingly dull. Here's why: the handling is terrible. In fact, it's so flawed there's simply never a time when it's fun, or even satisfying, to drive these cars. Despite being helpless fans of the real sport, even in its current state - we're being generous calling it a 'sport', for instance - playing Formula One Championship Edition quickly becomes a chore. And that's a shame." 4.8 out of 10 Wasn't there an interview with the developer just the other day that someone posted talking about how each and every rain drop was being calculated in real time, etc, etc....? I guess awesome rain does not an awesome game make.

teh cell!

this game scoring badly has nothing to do with "teh cell"... and i wasnt expecting much from this game anyway, but my prediction was probably a 7-8. i wouldn't put too much faith in this review regardless...
F-Minus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 F-Minus
Member since 2005 • 1009 Posts

flipknoc

Hehe, don't put "sim" in the same line with any console game please, cept if it's the Sims.
TONYSTARKS654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TONYSTARKS654
Member since 2003 • 3409 Posts

Maybe the lack of rumble is making the driving seem dull.    Some say rumble doesn't matter but, it gives a lot of little cues on the feeling of your car.

klabut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 klabut
[QUOTE="klabut"][QUOTE="DA_B0MB"][QUOTE="flipknoc"]who cares about f1 racing. everybody know gran turismo is the real driving sim.

vistamanV5

A couple of the ultra hardcore cows like Yo-Foo and Wii something, hyped this game AAA.

Wow.... Do you mean keywii?
Vojkan80001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Vojkan80001

F1 gets 90 out of 100

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-25526.aspx

ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts
Here's another review that gets 7.0 out of 10.  Although he is rating the Japanese version he does mention turning off the driving aids and points out that lack of online hurts it (US and European versions will have online play).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=157863
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 darklord888

flipknoc
Cows care about it. I remember when the first screens came out they were all "OMFG! TEH CELL! TLHBO! PS3 > 360 graphics, another AAA right here!!" Now bad reviews come out and they don't care? lolz.
-Power-Bottom-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -Power-Bottom-
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts

jachichorro

More like Forza. Good try anyway.

yeah thats why forza sold better, oh wait... forza only scored higher cus it had online, everyone knows GT is the only racing sim, well except the lemmings who have never played it.