Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Source

“Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) is trying to hire an executive to oversee an expansion into videogames, The Information reports.

And it's approached industry veterans in the past few weeks in the effort, according to the report.

The streaming giant had barely dipped a toe into games before, including using an outside developer to build a game based on its hit Stranger Things, the ambitions may be bigger now.

And one option includes offering a bundle of games similar to Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) Arcade subscription offering, according to the report.”

Uh oh... Xbox has blown through how much cash to be the “Netflix of gaming”? Just to have Netflix enter the arena. Feels bad man...

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Sweet The Netflix of gaming I'm not even subbed to netflix they don't have any IP I care about

I'm a disney+ fanboy

• All Star wars check
  • All Marvel movies check
  • All mighty ducks check
  • All disney movies check

Whats netflix got like stranger things an thats it?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Ultimately all I can see this resulting is more "exclusive to" shit services Epic helped populized.

Just another sign up. Just more segmented content.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@Antwan3K is not gonna appreciate this news. Lets see what he thinks.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

Netflix burned through cash for almost a decade before it started turning regular profits.

They followed that by more investment in exclusive content and their subscriber base exploded.

It's going to take a long time for Neflix or anyone else to challenge Microsoft to be the Netflix of gaming simply because games are not like TV or movies. Games take YEARS to produce compared to months for a show or movie.

Add to that they'd have to build studios, etc.

Netflix should learn from Amazon's failures and hire people or buy studios and let them do their thing

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 XOBXZELUR
Member since 2021 • 117 Posts

gaming has become too mainstream and that's why gaming sucks now, sjw/lgbt trying to dictate games and them trying to appeal to everyone accept actual real gamers not casuals.

the bubble needs to burst before we can get back to the basics of having real games again like duke 3d.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@xobxzelur said:

gaming has become too mainstream and that's why gaming sucks now, sjw/lgbt trying to dictate games and them trying to appeal to everyone accept actual real gamers not casuals.

the bubble needs to burst before we can get back to the basics of having real games again like duke 3d.

fuckoff you hardcore gatekeeper. Gaming is for everyone.

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XOBXZELUR

@gym_lion said:
@xobxzelur said:

gaming is for gamers, that's why it's called ''gaming''.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@xobxzelur said:
@gym_lion said:
@xobxzelur said:

gaming is for gamers, that's why it's called ''gaming''.

People aren't born Gamers™

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XOBXZELUR

They're making games to try to grab market from non gamers and and abandoning gamers all in the name of ''mass profits''

''maximum profits over quality''

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@gym_lion said:
@xobxzelur said:

I mean, ignoring the "SJW" shit, his point about games being designed for mass appeal is correct.

And not just in the casual sense, but in the sense of trying to manipulate them into paying them by creating grind shit, notshouldn't be confused with "depth", nagging those people who are busy actively wanting a struggle not through skill but menial time wasting.

Compare Ghost Recon something like the original, as to what it is, it may as well be a different franchise.

Bussiness wise, can understand it. Espically from such a cunty company as Ubisoft, ethics isn't a thing. From a gameplay perspective, takes the OG GC/R6 over that shit any day.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

Interesting. definitely interesting to see where this goes. They have a popular enough infrastructure within the market for it to happen. I'm surprised redbox hasn't incorporated it yet. Would be nice with a buy now option.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

They can be on top pretty easy, start buying bunch of small indie studios 1st give them an offer they can’t refuse

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Should be interesting to see how that plays out.

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By XOBXZELUR

These snivelling little corksuckers are the reason china has become a superpower and a threat to america, i can get chinese to make a similar product, but not as good of quality that doesnt doesnt make a shit to me aslong as i have more money in my pocket yay.

china has the world by the balls, american prison systems are a money pit for the american people and those prisoners arent making america money, china they're making their prisoners make them money by manufacturing shit and not paying employee's jack shit slave labor also.

hacking/stealing everyones ip/reverse engineering it.

This type of shit has crept into the video game industry tho, it's all trash and F em all.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@xobxzelur: what the **** are you ranting on about? What does netflix vs microsoft have to do with chinese "slave labor"?

Did you get lost on a trip to PG about something you read in the news or something?

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By XOBXZELUR

@xantufrog said:

@xobxzelur: what the **** are you ranting on about? What does netflix vs microsoft have to do with chinese "slave labor"?

Did you get lost from a trip to PG about something you read in the news or something?

''GREED'' ''MAXIMUM PROFITS IN MY POCKET OVER QUALITY'' its all connected lol.

You dont get good quality products anymore and video games are just one of those products included.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@navyguy21 said:

Netflix burned through cash for almost a decade before it started turning regular profits.

They followed that by more investment in exclusive content and their subscriber base exploded.

It's going to take a long time for Neflix or anyone else to challenge Microsoft to be the Netflix of gaming simply because games are not like TV or movies. Games take YEARS to produce compared to months for a show or movie.

Netflix should learn from Amazon's failures and hire people or buy studios and let them do their thing

There are over 200 million paid Netflix subscribers. The exposure that comes along with being attached to that service alone will be more than enough for publishers to hop onboard. Xbox is still trying to develop its userbase. Netflix is trying to expand its portfolio.

Netflix could easily just buy up a bunch of studios, or sign deals for games to appear on the platform exclusively. Their sub count is more than appealing enough. Xbox has done well, but their install base mixed with the heavy hitting titles being so far off from release puts them at a disadvantage. If Netflix were to sign a deal with Take Two or Activision, it’s game over.

Or maybe Netflix signs a deal with Xbox... 🤔🤔🤔

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XOBXZELUR

if google and netflix trying to get into gaming or many others isnt a sign of just another industry turning to greed i dunno what is.

gaming is an illegimate child at this point.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

People talk about MS spending 7.5 billion on Bethesda, Netflix spent 17+ billion on video content last year.

diskodite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#22 diskodite
Member since 2021 • 30 Posts

Cool, more options are always welcome. I'd like to see what Netflix could do. The future of gaming is mobile - Apple knows this, Sony knows this, Microsoft knows this, and Nintendo knows this. Maybe Netflix takes aim at Apple Arcade or strikes a deal with one of the Big 3.

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By XOBXZELUR

the industry pioneers doing half ass attempts at gaming products has shown companies outside the gaming industry, you can just be another half ass attempts you dont need to be legit anymore to get a piece of this pie come on in everyones welcome!

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By XOBXZELUR

activision used to be a publisher with a wide variety of games and ea and ubisoft and even sony and what's they've resorted to is reskinning the same games every year and abandoning quality products and gamers all, in the name is maximum profits milking a bunch of illegitimate gamer dumbshits.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@Pedro: Was that 17 billion on original content? That's what keeps me subbed to Netflix. I love their originals. MS acquisition of Bethesda didn't give me access to new content. If MS invested that money into creating new original games, they'd more than likely also get my $10/month. It's cool to have those games on gamepass now, but seems like that could have been done for much cheaper.

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By XOBXZELUR

@joshrmeyer said:

@Pedro: Was that 17 billion on original content? That's what keeps me subbed to Netflix. I love their originals. MS acquisition of Bethesda didn't give me access to new content. If MS invested that money into creating new original games, they'd more than likely also get my $10/month. It's cool to have those games on gamepass now, but seems like that could have been done for much cheaper.

netflix lost their plot like mtv and the travel channel and hbo, netflix was originally about movies not ''original shows'' just like hbo was originally about movies not ''original shows just like mtv was about music videos and travel channel was about traveling instead of paranormal shows.

buncha of misguided dumbshits defeating the whole purpose of em in the first place.

just like these publishers have lost the plot, making cash grabs for people who arent gamers and abandoning gamers.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Yeah I heard about this the other day. While I do have a Netflix subscription I really doubt that I’ll involve myself with any of their gaming stuff. Not very interested in streaming my games to play them. Also I just have way too many other devices to play more games then I have time to play currently. I really don’t need to add to that anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@xobxzelur: Making games just for “gamers” is bad business. Y’all don’t spend any money

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XOBXZELUR

@goldenelementxl said:

@xobxzelur: Making games just for “gamers” is bad business. Y’all don’t spend any money

casuals are the ones who wont be there, when they need the money gamers will.

casuals=occasional spender

gamer=full time spender

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XOBXZELUR

you have to make a quality product for a gamer to buy it tho, a casual you dont that's the difference cop out much?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Source

Uh oh... Xbox has blown through how much cash to be the “Netflix of gaming”? Just to have Netflix enter the arena. Feels bad man...

So you think MS is at a disadvantage against Netflix? If so, would love to hear how.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JoshRMeyer

@xobxzelur: Why can't there be a market for both? I don't play fortnite but I have no problem with it existing. When you say gamers, it feels like you're referring to hardcore gamers that usually gravitate towards niche games. And there just isn't much money in that. Seems like there's a good balance today. Probably started with the Wii, and now there's more gamers than ever. Even if you call them casuals, they're still gamers. Give me an example of what you're so upset about so I understand what you're saying.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

Yes! If you think MS purchase of Bethesda was not for new content, then I can't help you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@xobxzelur said:
@goldenelementxl said:

casuals are the ones who wont be there, when they need the money gamers will.

casuals=occasional spender

gamer=full time spender

I disagree. “Gamers” are the “vote with your wallet,” buy used or on sale, anti DRM, “Teh SJW’s!!1!” type consumers. The casuals buy off of commercial hype and word of mouth. They’re easily influenced. They spend on microtransactions. They love loot boxes. “Gamers” knock games and refuse to buy those.

If catering to ”Gamers” was as profitable, gaming would look more like it did in the PS3/360 days. The reason devs and pubs are tripping over themselves to cater to the casuals, is because of the growth the industry sees in doing so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Source

So you think MS is at a disadvantage against Netflix? If so, would love to hear how.

20 million subs vs 200 million subs. One isn’t profitable yet while the other is. One is still tied to hardware (for now) while the other is available everywhere. Netflix is what Xbox wants to be. Xbox has the studios while Netflix has the users. A few deals by Netflix can easily even the playing field there.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HalcyonScarlet
@goldenelementxl said:
@navyguy21 said:

There are over 200 million paid Netflix subscribers. The exposure that comes along with being attached to that service alone will be more than enough for publishers to hop onboard. Xbox is still trying to develop its userbase. Netflix is trying to expand its portfolio.

Netflix could easily just buy up a bunch of studios, or sign deals for games to appear on the platform exclusively. Their sub count is more than appealing enough. Xbox has done well, but their install base mixed with the heavy hitting titles being so far off from release puts them at a disadvantage. If Netflix were to sign a deal with Take Two or Activision, it’s game over.

Or maybe Netflix signs a deal with Xbox... 🤔🤔🤔

Yeah, but in gaming, Netflix just has it's name. And it's not worth much.

My has 23 Studios, 20 years of their own ips and games. A well developed online service. Gamepass is already well developed and offers so much for the money. Xcloud is already 75% there and rolling out on devices.

Netflix has a name. "They could easily just buy up a bunch of studios" and MS can't? What are they worth 2 trillion dollas?

And here's the thing Gamepass is growing fast in subs and unlike a console, they're never going to have to reset that number. All Xcloud consoles are going to be replaced with Series X servers this year too.

It's insane that you think it's MS at a disadvantage against Netflix. Just because they have people paying them for video streaming, that doesn't translate to gamers. And by the time they have anything competitive, MS would have everything well developed.

At best if Netflix did buy some expensive publishers, most only have two or three cash cow games. It takes decades to develop properly.

The idea that Netflix is going to out finance MS in any area, let alone the fact they have no experience.

If Playstation is Coca Cola, Xbox is Pepsi, Netflix would be the supermarket brand of cola in gaming at this point.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@xobxzelur said:

Please leave gaming

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Did you get lost on a trip to PG about something you read in the news or something?

Now that was funny.

Anyway, game pass is the closest thing to Netflix of gaming, so I don't think Netflix can get more new release titles than game pass but color me surprised if they could.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JoshRMeyer

@Pedro: Well I hope you're right. New games are a plus for any company and gamer. To me it just felt like they scooped them up to pad their first party lineup and promote gamepass(nothing wrong with that though).

XOBXZELUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By XOBXZELUR
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@xobxzelur said:

Please leave gaming

Dont worry ill be here when they make fake games or when devs wanna make real games again you wont tho, you're just here for the fake games. :)

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@goldenelementxl said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Source

20 million subs vs 200 million subs. One isn’t profitable yet while the other is. One is still tied to hardware (for now) while the other is available everywhere. Netflix is what Xbox wants to be. Xbox has the studios while Netflix has the users. A few deals by Netflix can easily even the playing field there.

200M subs in video streaming, there is ZERO chance Netflix could afford to just add on a games service with out charging extra for that. So they're pretty much at zero, no one has agreed to pay for their games service yet. Netflix just increased the price for their video service so they can keep financing Netflix original content.

If Gamepass isn't making anything right now, because they're pushing the service and value, what do you think Netflix is going to have to do.

If Netflix is profitable, MS is on another level.

Xbox isn't going to be tied to hardware for long. Xcloud is just going through final testing on many devices and all servers will be replaced with Series X blades this year.

"A few deals" Are you high? You think Netflix could more aggressively out spend MS in any area? How much would someone need to spend to match MSs 23 studios, 20 years of games and all the ips they own.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@HalcyonScarlet: Xbox has 23 studios that have yet to release a game. And when are they coming? People need to stop acting like these 23 studios are about to unleash dozens of blockbuster smash hit titles. Let’s see some damn gameplay before we go crowning anybody. Hell, there’s buzz that one of those studios is making a hero shooter. Oh boy!

Xbox buying Bethesda is their best bet for the near future. Their 1st party studio games are even further out. Netflix could pull out the checkbook and be ready at around the same time Xbox is. That’s where the 10X userbase comes in. Netflix is a household name. Last time I checked, the Xbox brand isn’t exactly as popular or synonymous with quality... That’s why they’re in the mess they’re in today.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8046 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

@Antwan3K is not gonna appreciate this news. Lets see what he thinks.

best of luck to Netflix if this is going to be a "streaming only" solution.. Those haven't done so well with Stadia dying a slow death and Luna basically being a non-starter..

by comparison, Xbox already has a huge advantage since game streaming is just an added option to native gaming on consoles and PC.. They also already have a gaming library of thousands of titles, they have 1st party content and IP that are household names like Halo, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Gears, Fallout, and Forza.. They have a growing subscription base of actual core gamers (not casual movies watchers) with 100 million monthly active users on Xbox and 23 million subs on Game Pass..

Sure, Netflix is a juggernaut in the movie streaming business just like Google and Amazon are juggernauts in their respective fields.. still doesn't necessarily translate to success in gaming when looking at Stadia and Luna..

I honestly don't think Xbox has anything to worry about.. It'll be years before Netflix has anything tangible in terms of original/exclusive AAA content and by that time you'll have titles like Elder Scrolls 6 streaming to Game Pass on day one..

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Poor gamepass... It's going to lose to Netflix.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@HalcyonScarlet said:

If MS isn't making anything right now, because they're pushing the service and value, what do you think Netflix is going to have to do.

Uh, what?!

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HalcyonScarlet

@goldenelementxl said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Xbox has 23 studios that have yet to release a game. And when are they coming? People need to stop acting like these 23 studios are about to unleash dozens of blockbuster smash hit titles. Let’s see some damn gameplay before we go crowning anybody. Hell, there’s buzz that one of those studios is making a hero shooter. Oh boy!

Xbox buying Bethesda is their best bet for the near future. Their 1st party studio games are even further out. Netflix could pull out the checkbook and be ready at around the same time Xbox is. That’s where the 10X userbase comes in. Netflix is a household name. Last time I checked, the Xbox brand isn’t exactly as popular or synonymous with quality... That’s why they’re in the mess they’re in today.

Yeah the studios are working on stuff, and will start rolling out games by the end of the year. And once they start they'll be continually releasing products.

What does Netflix have and when are they coming?

Netflix will be ready with what? If they are streaming games, they haven't even got the server centers in place yet. MS own theirs. Netflix doesn't have a multiplayer service in place. MS have of the best there is.

I'm absolutely lost here. What do you think Netflix can do? They'd pretty much have to buy EA to have any immediate effect on Sony and MS. Even then they'd still have to release the Fifa games on their competitors systems to keep the licence, like MLB on Xbox.

You must have an unbelievably low opinion of Xbox to think Netflix could take them just by announcing they're hiring an executive,

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Antwan3K said:

I honestly don't think Xbox has anything to worry about.. It'll be years before Netflix has anything tangible in terms of original/exclusive AAA content and by that time you'll have titles like Elder Scrolls 6 streaming to Game Pass on day one..

Who’s gonna tell him?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HalcyonScarlet

@goldenelementxl said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

If MS isn't making anything right now, because they're pushing the service and value, what do you think Netflix is going to have to do.

Uh, what?!

I meant if Gamepass isn't making any money.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Polite pass