Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll NES vs Genesis (57 votes)

NES 47%
Genesis 53%

Now this is an interesting comparison, but it's one I think warrants being made- of the two systems that put Nintendo and Sega respectively on the map, which do you think is the better one?

You may want to consider the following things as you answer the question:

• Which system had better games for its time?
  • Which system's games have held up better to today?
  • Which system contributed more to the industry?
  • Which system has a better legacy?
  • Which system had the better marketing?
  • Which system had the better controller?

Both are, of course, integral to the history of video games as a medium, but if you had to pick one or the other, which would it be, and why?

Bonus question, at least to those of you who have played enough on both systems: what was your favorite NES and Genesis game?

• 
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Never really played either. Can't comment.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

This. I was so young at the time.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

That's a tough one. I owned the Mega Drive as a kid, but I played the NES games later in life, and i'd have to give it to the NES.

My favourite MD games were probably Sonic 2 and Strider. For the NES it would be Super Mario 3 followed by Final Fantasy.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

NES was before my time. I did have a Genesis but didn't play it much since SNES had such a better library.

NES beats Genesis by default though because it had the best Mario game ever SMB3. I played it on SNES as part of the Super Mario All Stars collection.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

ITT: Children.

360mli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 360mli
Member since 2009 • 339 Posts

shouldn't it be SNES vs GENESIS

or NES vs SEGA MASTER SYSTEM

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I go with the NES. I grew up on Genesis though.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak

@dynamitecop: Says the grandpa having meltdowns on a board called "System Wars".

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@360mli said:

shouldn't it be SNES vs GENESIS

or NES vs SEGA MASTER SYSTEM

No, because those have been done before multiple times, and their winners are well known (NES and SNES are the ones that usually win those polls).

The NES and Genesis is a more interesting matchup precisely because it's not been done before, but also because, as mentioned in the OP, these are both systems that put their respective companies on the map- so there are grounds to compare both of them, should one be inclined to do so.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

That just means you're likely closer to death. Have fun.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By foxhound_fox

@lundy86_4 said:

That's a tough one. I owned the Mega Drive as a kid, but I played the NES games later in life, and i'd have to give it to the NES.

My favourite MD games were probably Sonic 2 and Strider. For the NES it would be Super Mario 3 followed by Final Fantasy.

He's comparing the Genesis to the NES, not the Mega Drive. Confusing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

I was a Sega a guy until the snes, then I realized it actually was super.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@foxhound_fox said:
@lundy86_4 said:

He's comparing the Genesis to the NES, not the Mega Drive. Confusing.

The Genesis is Mega Drive. Mega Drive was the name for the Genesis everywhere in the world but in North America.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dynamitecop

@freedomfreak said:

@dynamitecop: Says the grandpa having meltdowns on a board called "System Wars".

Regardless of what you may think or the implied genetic fallacy of what I'm about to say, gamers are respected and judged based upon their longevity and experience in the medium.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By foxhound_fox

@charizard1605 said:

The Genesis is Mega Drive. Mega Drive was the name for the Genesis everywhere in the world but in North America.

Wut?

OH RIGHT. Master System was the NES equivalent.

*slaps forehead*

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak

@dynamitecop said:

gamers are respected and judged based upon their longevity and experience in the medium.

Old age has its effects. Living proof here.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Played both. Genesis wins in every category, and most importantly in games that I play now, which is legitimately something like 8 vs. 100+, plus I greatly prefer 4th and 5th gen 2D games over 3rd gen ones in general. I have very fond memories of playing the NES with my cousins though, since I had two groups of them on both sides of the family that had one. It's pretty much all we'd play when we got together until the 2000's when everyone started going to college.

My favorite games are Mega Man 4 and Streets of Rage 2, respectively.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iandizion713

@Renegade_Fury: Yeah, Streets of Rage 2 is a masterpiece. That game is fun even today.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renegade_Fury

@iandizion713: Yep, it's my G.O.A.T for a reason. :)

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

NES all the way. I loved my Genesis but it's not in the same league. The NES was ground breaking. Super Mario, Metroid, Zelda is tough to beat. Not to mention Contra, Punch out, Dragon Warrior, Mega Man, Tetris... I still own my NES and i couldn't live without it. My Genesis is long gone and I only miss it for a few games. Phantasy Star 2, Gunstar Heroes, Sonic.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#22 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

NES just has more of the classics imo

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#23 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

Easy for you to say. You're a 72 yr old trucker driver. The SNES and GEN was out and your were what? 45 give or take?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Genesis. Was the first console I bought myself. I remember buying Celtics vs Lakers and the first iteration of Madden with it. Amazed I was by it as I was always athletic. I loved NHL most but of course had other games that I loved for years on it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cainetao11

@Legend002 said:
@dynamitecop said:

Easy for you to say. You're a 72 yr old trucker driver. The SNES and GEN was out and your were what? 45 give or take?

LOL You say that stuff like it would be an insult. I doubt you have the intelligence or fortitude to make it to 50.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22660 Posts

I played a lot of both systems over their prime... The only way I can say it is like this...

The SNES and the NES are on another planet in terms of what they offered and what they did for the hobby.

I mean looking at the franchises that still draw mega hype today even...

Mario

Zelda

Metroid

Metal gear

Castelvania

Final fantasy

Etc...

Then add in the games that are still amazing to this day like...

Every mega man

Tecmo bowl

Star tropics

Punch out

Duck tales

Blades of steel

When you break down the impact and offerings, I don't even think the Genesis is even on the map.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3219 Posts

Both systems are great but I'm going with the NES.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm shocked how many people are going with NES over Genesis. NES was a very important system for Nintendo and gaming history, but the Genesis blows it out of the water - not just in visuals (which is a given due to the big tech leap), but even the amazing games on NES don't pair up well against the amazing games on the Genesis in terms of their scope. Where is a Shadowrun RPG on NES? Landstalker? Phantasy Star? Shining Force? Herzog Zwei? Vectorman? Ecco the Dolphin? I'm sorry, but games that were mindblowing in 1985 did not stack up well against games from 1992 except in cases where stark simplicity is a big bonus for the title.

Now, for the SNES - vs - Genesis comparison... I can understand the Nintendo fans going gaga over the SNES. But the NES is pretty f*cking primitive stuff with a few exceptions. I did really enjoy the early Mario and Mega Man titles, though.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dynamitecop

@xantufrog said:

I'm shocked how many people are going with NES over Genesis. NES was a very important system for Nintendo and gaming history, but the Genesis blows it out of the water - not just in visuals (which is a given due to the big tech leap), but even the amazing games on NES don't pair up well against the amazing games on the Genesis in terms of their scope. Where is a Shadowrun RPG on NES? Landstalker? Phantasy Star? Shining Force? Herzog Zwei? Vectorman? Ecco the Dolphin? I'm sorry, but games that were mindblowing in 1985 did not stack up well against games from 1992 except in cases where stark simplicity is a big bonus for the title.

Now, for the SNES - vs - Genesis comparison... I can understand the Nintendo fans going gaga over the SNES. But the NES is pretty f*cking primitive stuff with a few exceptions. I did really enjoy the early Mario and Mega Man titles, though.

Not just that, people seem to have forgotten about the expandability of the Genesis, the 32X, the Sega CD, all the independent games that came along with those as well.

It's no contest.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iandizion713

@xantufrog: NES had Dragon Warrior I, II, III, IV, Final Fantasy I, II, II, Zelda I, II, Crystallis, Bards Tale, Sweet Home, Willow, Ultima IV, Castlevania II, Startropics, Shadowgate, Faxanadu, etc. These just role playing category.

Sega Genesis was good, but it wasnt that good.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Renegade_Fury
@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

Not just that, people seem to have forgotten about the expandability of the Genesis, the 32X, the Sega CD, all the independent games that came along with those as well.

It's no contest.

I wouldn't say forgotten, because other than for nostalgia and personal bias, the main reason is that most people here haven't played much on the Genesis, CD, and 32X. It is what it is, but there's probably only a handful of guys on this forum that have played, let alone know, what Herzog Zwei or Landstalker is. Compare anything on the NES to say Alien Soldier, and it's pretty apparent that the NES doesn't deserve to be in the same room as the Genesis, lol.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50551 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@foxhound_fox said:

This. I was so young at the time.

Young bucks.

I loved Genesis, but I still remember sneaking out of my room to play Contra with my brother at night. So many games and memories with NES, so that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

It's no contest.

Both Nintendo consoles had expandability too- and Sega 32X was worthless. The Sega CD was sort of cool, but it was like the Wii of its time in that for every one good game on it, there were a dozen terrible ones. The ones I can think of that were excellent are Lunar and Sonic CD. But stuff like Night Trap was legitimate shit.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox

@freedomfreak said:

Oh my God, hahahahaha

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chutebox

@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

It's no contest.

Are we acting like these were good?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@xantufrog: NES had Dragon Warrior I, II, III,, IV, Final Fantasy I, II, II, Zelda I, II, Crystallis, Bards Tale, Sweet Home, Willow, Ultima IV, Castlevania II, Startropics, Shadowgate, Faxanadu, etc. These just role playing category.

But that's missing my point - also, while those are great games, you chose a category of games that is underrepresented on Genesis which enables you to provide a very long list (which - it has to be said - the limited RPG library on Genesis IS a very legitimate complaint). But I'm not talking long lists, I'm talking complexity and sophistication of the games. Take almost any NES game where you can find an analogous title on Genesis, and it will almost to a one be more simplistic and rudimentary. This is almost a given, because the technology was substantially more limited. This was an era where going from 8-bit to 16-bit was a very meaningful thing to games.

Again, SNES vs Genesis this is a different story, but the NES was a very primitive system

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Chutebox said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

It's no contest.

I'm not going to say that they're must have systems, but Sonic CD, Robo Aleste, Android Assault, After Burner 32X, Shining Force CD, Final Fight CD, Shadow Squadron, Star Wars Arcade, Space Harrier, Knuckles' Chaotix, Lords of Thunder, Mortal Kombat II, Lunar, Snatcher, Popful Mail, and so on, are all good exclusives or good versions of games to play if you have a CD and 32X. You don't hear much about them though, because it's funnier to talk about Mighty Morphin Power Rangers CD.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Why are we comparing a 3rd Gen console (NES) to 4th Gen (Genesis) ? I mean why not a duel between the two competing platforms in the same generation?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chutebox

@Renegade_Fury: Your memory is better that mine, I don't remember any of that shit.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chutebox
@AdobeArtist said:

Why are we comparing a 3rd Gen console (NES) to 4th Gen (Genesis) ? I mean why not a duel between the two competing platforms in the same generation?

Why not? It's not like you have to compare graphics or w/e to compare which you had more fun with.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dynamitecop

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Chutebox said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xantufrog said:

It's no contest.

I'm not going to say that they're must have, but Sonic CD, Robo Aleste, Android Assault, After Burner 32X, Shining Force CD, Final Fight CD, Shadow Squadron, Star Wars Arcade, Space Harrier, Knuckles' Chaotix, Lords of Thunder, Mortal Kombat II, Lunar, Snatcher, Popful Mail, and so on, are all good exclusives or good versions of games to play if you have a CD and 32X. You don't hear much about them though, because it's funnier to talk about Mighty Morphin Power Rangers CD.

Don't forget Doom, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Virtua Fighter, Dragon's Lair, The Secret of Monkey Island etc.

These Genesis expansions may not have hit mainstream success, but they had some top notch games for their limited libraries.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Renegade_Fury

@Chutebox: Most of those are not from memory, but from checking them out more recently. When they were new, I believed what everyone else said about how they were trash, not so much the SEGA CD but definitely the 32X, because I didn't know what was on them. From doing my own research though, I've been able to discover their worth, but I recognize that isn't something most are going to do since it's easier to to watch an AVGN video.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

This is the toughest one yet as they are both easily my favorite consoles.

I'm going with the NES on this one as I catch myself playing on it just a little bit more than on my Genesis.

Also, I just bought this add-on for my Famicom.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@dynamitecop said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Chutebox said:
@dynamitecop said:

It's no contest.

I'm not going to say that they're must have, but Sonic CD, Robo Aleste, Android Assault, After Burner 32X, Shining Force CD, Final Fight CD, Shadow Squadron, Star Wars Arcade, Space Harrier, Knuckles' Chaotix, Lords of Thunder, Mortal Kombat II, Lunar, Snatcher, Popful Mail, and so on, are all good exclusives or good versions of games to play if you have a CD and 32X. You don't hear much about them though, because it's funnier to talk about Mighty Morphin Power Rangers CD.

Don't forget Doom, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Virtua Fighter, Dragon's Lair, The Secret of Monkey Island etc.

These Genesis expansions may not have hit mainstream success, but they had some top notch games for their limited libraries.

I didn't, I would just rather play and recommend them on the PC or Saturn though, lol.

Yeah, they definitely have some great games, despite having overall small libraries. To any Genesis enthusiast, I'd recommend getting at least a SEGA CD.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chutebox

@Renegade_Fury said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Chutebox said:
@dynamitecop said:

It's no contest.

I didn't, I would just rather play them on the PC or Saturn though, lol.

Yeah, they definitely have some great games, despite having overall small libraries. If you're a Genesis enthusiast, I'd definitely recommend getting at least a SEGA CD.

I went back and bought CD and the 32x lol. Got a few games for them too, but they're put away at the moment.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Renegade_Fury

@Chutebox said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Chutebox said:

I didn't, I would just rather play them on the PC or Saturn though, lol.

Yeah, they definitely have some great games, despite having overall small libraries. If you're a Genesis enthusiast, I'd definitely recommend getting at least a SEGA CD.

I went back and bought CD and the 32x lol. Got a few games for them too, but they're put away at the moment.

I have my SEGA CD attached to my Genesis, but yeah, I don't have my 32X connected either. I'd rather play it on occasion than have another big ass AC adapter take up room on the powerstrip, lol.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@Legend002 said:
@dynamitecop said:

LOL You say that stuff like it would be an insult. I doubt you have the intelligence or fortitude to make it to 50.

How is that an insult? He himself claimed to be a 72 yr old trucker driver.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dynamitecop

@Legend002 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Legend002 said:
@dynamitecop said:

How is that an insult? He himself claimed to be a 72 yr old trucker driver.

Incorrect.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cainetao11

@Legend002: I didn't say it was. I said: You say that stuff as if it would be.........

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

I have my SEGA CD attached to my Genesis, but yeah, I don't have my 32X connected either. I'd rather play it on occasion than have another big ass AC adapter take up room on the powerstrip, lol.

Get yourself one of these my friend.

Sega Combo Power Supply