Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2012 gets a 7.5 on GS.

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

Aw man.

Will still check it out someday through.

#2 Posted by the9thinning (662 posts) -
It got a 9 at 9GN
#3 Posted by soulitane (15087 posts) -
The "bad" things don't seem like they really would affect me all that much, will pick it up after a price drop.
#4 Posted by TheDidact (3986 posts) -
Where was the Hype Thread for this?
Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
#5 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3347 posts) -

Ill get it when it's $20.

#6 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
It seems the SP isn't worth getting the game for. Jeff Gerstmann loves the multiplayer to death though. I'll see for myself whenever Amazon decides to send it to me.
#7 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -
Scores. Scores. Scores. Such a disgusting practice, using objective numerical values to judge a work of cultural expression subjectively.
#8 Posted by Cheleman (8197 posts) -

hehe, Most Wanted:P

#10 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Scores. Scores. Scores. Such a disgusting practice, using objective numerical values to judge a work of cultural expression subjectively.

I'm pretty sure scores are subjective as can be. All the numbers do is pin down the reviewer's opinion of where the game lies between Abysmal and "Prime" (whatever that means).
#11 Posted by teun3sixty (136 posts) -

CUSTOMIZATION!!

#12 Posted by lamprey263 (35005 posts) -
well, there was absolutely no hype, so does that make it a success? anyhow, to my surprise both Games(TM) and Edge Magazine gave it 90/100, which is funny because they're usually well below the MetaCritic averages most the time
#13 Posted by WeepsForFools (788 posts) -
It got a 9 at 9GNthe9thinning
You say that as if it means something.
#14 Posted by the9thinning (662 posts) -
[QUOTE="the9thinning"]It got a 9 at 9GNWeepsForFools

I do?
#15 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Scores. Scores. Scores. Such a disgusting practice, using objective numerical values to judge a work of cultural expression subjectively.

I'm pretty sure scores are subjective as can be. All the numbers do is pin down the reviewer's opinion of where the game lies between Abysmal and "Prime" (whatever that means).

And it never tells us why. A 7 is a 7. It may mean pretty good, it may mean a tad disappointing, it may mean not bad, it may mean you might like it if you are a fan, but it never means something exact. The more simpler the scale is, it is easier to know, and just doing away with the whole system is the best idea I think. Giving a score gives the readers the false impression that the number is the final point that the entire review comes down to. But it doesnt work that way. Numbers provide something the fanboys can jerk off to and the publishers to use as a tool to fire/not hire potentially talented devs. And that is about it. One thing I actually like about GS reviews is that they give us pros and cons points at the top. Those are real information, real data. Numbers arent.
#16 Posted by Spardabx (308 posts) -

Not going to lie, but this is scaring the hell out of me. Why? Halo 4 can be the victim to this....curse. Please!!!!

#17 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

Aw man.

Wanderer5
you care about the score? why was it a day one purchase before you heard the score?
#18 Posted by WeepsForFools (788 posts) -
[QUOTE="WeepsForFools"][QUOTE="the9thinning"]It got a 9 at 9GNthe9thinning

I do?

Seemed like it.
#19 Posted by the9thinning (662 posts) -
[QUOTE="WeepsForFools"][QUOTE="the9thinning"][QUOTE="WeepsForFools"] You say that as if it means something.

I do?

Seemed like it.

Oh. Well it doesn't mean anything.
#20 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

So I guess it flopped then on here, would still like to try it since I like NFS.

#21 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
Having an absolute blast with this on Vita. Haven't tried the PC version yet.
#22 Posted by spiderluck (2405 posts) -

hehe, Most Wanted:P

Cheleman
lol...good one man
#24 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

why is lakc of narrative a con? I can't remember a Racer with a narrative that added anything to the game... :?

#25 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

Giving a score gives the readers the false impression that the number is the final point that the entire review comes down to.IAmNot_fun

Not all readers. I would hope that most understand what it actually is: a quick indication of the reviewer's feeling about the game, which lets you decide up front whether you want to read the whole review. Without a score you might see a review of a game you don't think looks very good, and miss the part where the reviewer thought it was awesome. Or you might be hyped for a game and assume the review was positive when in fact it brought up some big flaws.

I don't believe in dispensing with something helpful just because some people are idiots and abuse it.

#26 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

why is lakc of narrative a con? I can't remember a Racer with a narrative that added anything to the game... :?

Jonwh18

Because the original Most Wanted apparently had a really stupid and hilarious story. I think that fact is irrelevant to this game because it has no real connection to the other, but w/e

#27 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -

[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"] Giving a score gives the readers the false impression that the number is the final point that the entire review comes down to.Cherokee_Jack

Not all readers. I would hope that most understand what it actually is: a quick indication of the reviewer's feeling about the game, which lets you decide up front whether you want to read the whole review. Without a score you might see a review of a game you don't think looks very good, and miss the part where the reviewer thought it was awesome. Or you might be hyped for a game and assume the review was positive when in fact it brought up some big flaws.

I don't believe in dispensing with something helpful just because some people are idiots and abuse it.

It actually isnt helpful, thats what i am saying.
#28 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

looking at the good and the bad, i think i'll live. the goods are things i was looking forward to, and most of the bads don't affect me at all (no narrative? all the better to me).

i'm worried about the drastically lower PC metascore though, and the reported framerate issues.

as for buying the game, i might do it in a few weeks, or i might wait until christmas, we'll see.

EDIT: oops, mistook user score with metascore. nevermind, carry on.

#29 Posted by Vatusus (8408 posts) -

[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Scores. Scores. Scores. Such a disgusting practice, using objective numerical values to judge a work of cultural expression subjectively.Cherokee_Jack

Yeah, but somehow the idiots at SW like to use them as "ownage" or that the game with the better score is factually the better one. Look at the Forza vs GT threads... it seems everyone on those talk like Forza is factually better then GT because of an half-point difference. Pathetic, really

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
#30 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5934 posts) -

Not going to lie, but this is scaring the hell out of me. Why? Halo 4 can be the victim to this....curse. Please!!!!

Spardabx
nah... halo 4 is backed by M$ moneies so it will get a 9 guaranteed ..just like COD.... no matter what becasue of the advertisment monies...lol About scores. I very rarely go by them. some of my favorite games on portables especially scored bad on this site, and IGn so i base my views on other game players expeirences, and , you-tube videos and general information.
#31 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5934 posts) -
Having an absolute blast with this on Vita. Haven't tried the PC version yet.lowe0
its good on vita? I want to get it but I just got ragnorok odyessy, and Will be picking up AC3:lib , aC3, tomorrow and persona 4 golden in 2 weeks. Wish i had the money for this on vita. I loved burnout legends on psp.
#32 Posted by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

Aw man.

jsmoke03

you care about the score? why was it a day one purchase before you heard the score?

It not just the score.>.> And it once was, but I decided to wait for it later a little back.

#33 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5934 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Scores. Scores. Scores. Such a disgusting practice, using objective numerical values to judge a work of cultural expression subjectively.Vatusus

Yeah, but somehow the idiots at SW like to use them as "ownage" or that the game with the better score is factually the better one. Look at the Forza vs GT threads... it seems everyone on those talk like Forza is factually better then GT because of an half-point difference. Pathetic, really

yeah its very pathetic here... many of these fools will dismiss a game if it doesn't score a 9 and say- "i'll pick it up at $20" or something like that... or they will drill into the game calling it a flop or something stupid like that. Like i said earlier, there have been so many games that scored bad here and ign that were actually great games, especaillay on handhelds where GS seems to compare them to full console games.
#34 Posted by ermacness (7740 posts) -

I bought the game, and can surely tell you guys that from my opinion, the GS review is WAY off. It's like they want FH to be the highest rated open world racer here this year. I'm willing to bet you that the GS score will probably be one of the lowest scores for this game at MC. A racer NEVER suppose to have ANY kind of narration at all, especially not NFS (in which is why The Run sucked). The exploration to find the cars are fun, the cops are very hard to run from up in the higher wanted levels, the actual wanted level, and how it's done this time is very good ans strategic, and while the customization doesn't add creativity, it is very strategically implemented into the gameplay

I'm starting to lose any and all kind of hope for GS and their "LOL" review team.:roll:

#35 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
am i the only one that thought this was a reskin of burnout paradise? Should have made hot pursuit 2...but with offline multiplayer
#36 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

7.5 isn't bad. It's better than average.

If it's anything like the original I'd get it.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
#37 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9323 posts) -
The "bad" things don't seem like they really would affect me all that much, will pick it up after a price drop.soulitane
Exactly how I am feeling. Stil getting it.
#39 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

It actually isnt helpful, thats what i am saying.IAmNot_fun

It actually is helpful, that's what I'm saying.

Q.E.D.

#40 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -

Spardabx
It's a 360 exclusive. Not gonna happen. This has the same Metascore as Forza Horizon.
#41 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Scores. Scores. Scores. Such a disgusting practice, using objective numerical values to judge a work of cultural expression subjectively.Vatusus

That's the SW game and it's fun...or was fun.

But now SW has devolved into a reviewer-bashing echo chamber and no one cares about the faction rivalries anymore.

#42 Posted by jonathant5 (873 posts) -
From what I have seen of the game, it seems solid, although I have not played it yet so cant say much. But man some of the negatives that the reviewer had are plain dumb, especially the one about a lack of narration. Its a damn racing game, it does not need to have a story. But honestly, I have disagreed with the majority of the reviews that the reviewer of this game has had so, not surprising. I miss the good old GS days where you had guys such as Navaro, Gertsman, Kasavin,Colayco and Ocampo and who were actually good at their job. The current GS only has Kevin VanOrd (who is good imo) but thats about it, the rest are not very good at all.
#43 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

I miss the good old GS days where you had guys such as Navaro, Gertsman, Kasavin,Colayco and Ocampo and who were actually good at their job.jonathant5

That's what this is for.

http://www.giantbomb.com/need-for-speed-most-wanted/61-38497/reviews/

#44 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -

[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]

It actually isnt helpful, thats what i am saying.Cherokee_Jack

It actually is helpful, that's what I'm saying.

Q.E.D.

What. How. Its just a goddamn number. It tell us little to nothing. Ex. No More Heroes 2. 8.5. 0.5 lower than its predecessor. Is it worse than its predecessor? No way in hell.
#45 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4487 posts) -

Spardabx
Microsoft is making sure they throw in incentives to make sure that won't happen, like lavish review kits sent to reviewers that contain not only the game, but Halo branded controllers to full-size halo branded consoles and other accessories, all nicely packed in a halo branded, made out of the best uality titanium, totally usable suitcase. Y else do you think Halo gets these high scores? It can't be the auto-aim gameplay.
#46 Posted by soulitane (15087 posts) -
[QUOTE="Spardabx"]

DrTrafalgarLaw
Microsoft is making sure they throw in incentives to make sure that won't happen, like lavish review kits sent to reviewers that contain not only the game, but Halo branded controllers to full-size halo branded consoles and other accessories, all nicely packed in a halo branded, made out of the best uality titanium, totally usable suitcase. Y else do you think Halo gets these high scores? It can't be the auto-aim gameplay.

I'm curious about this kind of argument, does it apply only to games you don't like with high scores and the ones you do deserve them or?
#47 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

No More Heroes 2. 8.5. 0.5 lower than its predecessor. Is it worse than its predecessor? No way in hell.IAmNot_fun

a. Games are not reviewed in a vacuum. The first game already came out, and the sequel's job is to improve on it. Evidently the reviewer thought it did an 8.5 job of that. If every sequel better than its predecessor had to score higher too, most sequels would get automatic 10s today because every sequel that isn't sh!t improves on its predecessor somehow.

b. I explained why I think they're helpful already.

#48 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4487 posts) -

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="Spardabx"]

soulitane

I'm curious about this kind of argument, does it apply only to games you don't like with high scores and the ones you do deserve them or?

This was sent to every reviewer of Halo Reach but it doesn't stop there, there are also extra goodies sent as an incentive and then people wonder why Halo gets 9 all the time...?

#49 Posted by Hobbsey07 (1255 posts) -

To anyone who's played it.. Is there actual customization in the game? Similar to the previous Most Wanted?

#50 Posted by WiiMan21 (8191 posts) -

I'll buy it, Criterion Games is one of my favorite game developers and Need For Speed is a great series (even if the last few were kind of meh).

But Burnout Paradise was great.