SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 28271 Posts

https://www.polygon.com/2020/10/19/21523142/nba-2k21-unskippable-ads-advertising-2k-sports-nba-2k-pc-ps4-xbox-one

This is the same company who is raising the price of their next gen games to $70. I don't mind paying more if it's justified, but adding unskippable ads to a game? Nope. This is also the same company who publishes GTA V, the most successful game in video game history lol. Pretty sad that they just want to take advantage of their consumers. Your thoughts, SW? I don't really play sports games anymore, so I will be gladly skipping this game.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52002 Posts

The audience for that game is used to getting splattered with ads, so no biggie. This will become a problem if it starts happening in games I like, though. For example: Dynasty Warriors.

netracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 netracing
Member since 2018 • 868 Posts

As long as people continue to buy them, they will continue to plaster them with ads.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 4746 Posts

EA just continue to be 1 step forward then 2 back trash company destroying some of my favourite games of last gen. Just give me a new dead space NBA is always expected to be a next to nothing but a roster update.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19686 Posts

I posted this in the lounge lol.

Lets be honest here, the game is geared to Americans and Americans will buy it regardless, let's see if people get outraged over this, either way Take Two Interactive won't be taking it down like EA did.

I will say and that's Take Two interactive are probably the worst gaming company out there now, $70 for next gen games instead of smart delivery, ads in games and the fact that they haven't payed corporate tax in the UK by getting tax breaks designed for British game devs.

I don't buy their games so i vote with my wallet, not that it means much in the end.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 37226 Posts

What's a NBA? Something out of China maybe? Dunno. :P

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 I_P_Daily

@robert_sparkes: You might wanna re-read the OP lol.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 35618 Posts

This game had one of the fastest deep sales on steam, and one of the lowest user scores on steam I've ever seen.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 44575 Posts

I hate Sport games. They can add as many ads as they want cause I ain't playing some Basketball video game.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 4913 Posts

@robert_sparkes said:

EA just continue to be 1 step forward then 2 back trash company destroying some of my favorite games of last gen. Just give me a new dead space NBA is always expected to be a next to nothing but a roster update.

1 - Why are you talking about EA?
2 - "nothing but a roster update

Loading Video...
I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 I_P_Daily

@davillain- said:

I hate Sport games. They can add as many ads as they want cause I ain't playing some Basketball video game.

That's a bad attitude to have because if they succeed here, the games YOU play will eventually be on the list as it shows other devs that gamers are ok with it.

xWillKillsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xWillKillsx
Member since 2020 • 47 Posts

This is bs and unacceptable. You watch if they get away with this bs in they future they are going to offer you to pay to remove them just like apps!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39775 Posts

Why are there even ads in a paid game?

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts

Remember how FTP titles would have adds, but you could pay to remove them? yeah this is worse.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6304 Posts

70 dollars for a game with ads it must be that damn inflation lol please. These publishers are greedy scumbags that are ruining gaming just wait until it's in your game I don't give a shit about NBA 2K but don't think other gaming companies wouldn't try this.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 4746 Posts

My bad I was talking about EA sports games not NBA 2k are just as bad was my point.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5924 Posts

I'll say something similar to what I said thing in the comments on the article: The lack of competition is very harmful. The developers and apparently consumers are content with crapola.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain-  Moderator

@i_p_daily said:
@davillain- said:

That's a bad attitude to have because if they succeed here, the games YOU play will eventually be on the list as it shows other devs that gamers are ok with it.

To be honest, I'm not all too worry if the ads come over to other genre than sport games. Sport video games can get away with it as it's more connected towards live action sports TV like and the fact they are sims in general is why gamers are somewhat okay with this. Now, can this happen outside of sport games? Only time will tell and it's not a matter of how but when? And "if" that day comes, we as gamers must tell publishers this kind of attitude will not be tolerated.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1631 Posts

@SecretPolice: nobody cares about the NBA now they went super woke.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32852 Posts

That’s so hilariously sad. 😅

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17916 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: "This is also the same company who publishes GTA V, the most successful game in video game history lol. "

Not just video games. But didnt it break all entertainment records?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 3033 Posts

@SecretPolice: It stands for "No bum association". For those of us cursed with pancake ass.

We are DOZENS!

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 7984 Posts

Do people actually pay for this kinda trash?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33553 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Vote with your wallet.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 46915 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

What's a NBA? Something out of China maybe? Dunno. :P

Yup lol. I washed my hands of that league this year.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32852 Posts

This will be an easy no buy for me but that’s because I’m not into basketball anyway plus I buy very few sports games in general. I’m not so sure how much I could withhold from purchasing a game that I’m legitimately interested in if it had ads in it like this.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 8964 Posts

@wiiboxstation: yes, cause that really changed the sport itself. excuse me while i roll my eyes. let's face it... if you were that bothered by some remarks that didn't affect the game itself, then you were never really a fan of the sport... or you're a Clipper fan. one or the other

EDIT: also, that whole thing about people not watching the NBA because of the social remarks is just a false narrative... Hockey, which isn't nearly that 'woke', did worse in the ratings than the NBA... and the NFL, which started this whole 'woke' thing, has fallen the least in terms of ratings out of all the sports. so stop listening to mango morons about what's actually happening in reality. ok kiddo?

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 8964 Posts

all these Clippers fans saying how they stopped watching the NBA is hilarious

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 I_P_Daily

@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:
@davillain- said:

To be honest, I'm not all too worry if the ads come over to other genre than sport games. Sport video games can get away with it as it's more connected towards live action sports TV like and the fact they are sims in general is why gamers are somewhat okay with this. Now, can this happen outside of sport games? Only time will tell and it's not a matter of how but when? And "if" that day comes, we as gamers must tell publishers this kind of attitude will not be tolerated.

WTF are you on about, are you drunk?

First you say you don't care if it comes to other genres and then say if it does we must tell devs that this will not be tolerated.

If you give them a free pass on sports games your telling devs its ok on ANY game, you need to nip this shit in the bud from the get go before its snowballs out of control like Season passes, microtransactions etc. You can't just all of a sudden give a shit when it comes to games that you play, by then its too late.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57388 Posts

I'd be confused on how people can sit there with a straight face and okay this shit. It's a catch-22, as you put ads in but put off your main userbase, thus earning loss of revenue from both. Those short term profits better be baller.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 commander
Member since 2010 • 15971 Posts

LOL here you people sitting whining about ads, while i spend like 1k a year on fifa, all I was interested it is the the difference in graphics, and damn if fifa looks this much better on the new gen I'm getting that series s or x.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 I_P_Daily

@commander said:

LOL here you people sitting whining about ads, while i spend like 1k a year on fifa, all I was interested it is the the difference in graphics, and damn if fifa looks this much better on the new gen I'm getting that series s or x.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lundy86_4

@commander said:

...while i spend like 1k a year on fifa...

I've had my own issues in life, but dropping that cash on a game maybe needs some attention.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#34 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

Cant believe people defend this shit.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#35 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 42770 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I'd be confused on how people can sit there with a straight face and okay this shit. It's a catch-22, as you put ads in but put off your main userbase, thus earning loss of revenue from both. Those short term profits better be baller.

On paper yea.

But average joe walking into a store doesn't know any better. These fuckers know that.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lundy86_4

@uninspiredcup said:

On paper yea.

But average joe walking into a store doesn't know any better. These fuckers know that.

Yeah, that's definitely true. Glad to see some backlash on this shit with regards to EA.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 1993 Posts

With the NBA ratings tanking massively, I can't imagine a lot of people are buying their games either, so they'll have to milk as much money from the people who do to cover the costs of producing and marketing it.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By commander

@lundy86_4 said:
@commander said:

...while i spend like 1k a year on fifa...

I've had my own issues in life, but dropping that cash on a game maybe needs some attention.

you're obviously clueless how this game works, this game has constant updated content.

1k a year is not that much, if you consider that I don't play any other games. that's not even a 100 bucks a month.

Some fifa's are not that great and then I don't play them all year around, I also spend less then, like last year i spend only around 500, but that was one of the worst fifa's.

It's in those years I play other games.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3486 Posts

Yearly sports franchise, no surprise there.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lundy86_4

@commander said:

you're obviously clueless how this game works, this game has constant updated content.

1k a year is not that much, if you consider that I don't play any other games. that's not even a 100 bucks a month.

Some fifa's are not that great and then I don't play them all year around, I also spend less then, like last year i spend only around 500, but that was one of the worst fifa's.

Yes, I understand that "milking" is a thing. It's happened to cows, and Cows, and multiple other gamers.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 commander

@lundy86_4 said:
@commander said:

Yes, I understand that "milking" is a thing. It's happened to cows, and Cows, and multiple other gamers.

I play this on the xbox, playstation only has all the content since fifa 18, i play the ultimate team version since fifa 14.

and you don't get it, I don't play any other games, and i play this shit every day for hours, 100 bucks a month for a hobby is peanuts.

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 briguyb13  Online
Member since 2007 • 5151 Posts

You shouldn't support anything from the NBA until they cut ties with China.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaVillain-  Moderator

@i_p_daily: Look, you need to chill. I will say it simple. I don't play Sports games and the fact they will be infected with ads doesn't concern me. I'm not gonna keep coming back to this thread, so we'll end this conversation.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 I_P_Daily

@davillain- said:

@i_p_daily: Look, you need to chill. I will say it simple. I don't play Sports games and the fact they will be infected with ads doesn't concern me. I'm not gonna keep coming back to this thread, so we'll end this conversation.

I'm not in need of chilling as i'm always chill. You are in need of pulling your head out of the sand if you think that if this succeeds then when it comes to games you like you can simply cry foul on the internet and it will all go away, not gonna happen.

Yes we will end this conversation because you're not looking to good atm.

I guess its true what they say, ignorance truly is bliss lol.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 37226 Posts

@wiiboxstation said:

@SecretPolice: nobody cares about the NBA now they went super woke.

Mah man!!!

lol :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 48508 Posts

Insult to injury; not only are they jacking up the price of video games, but now they are going to insert ads.

In other words, I am paying more for less; I am paying 10 dollars more so that for every 60 seconds I play the game I am exposed to 10+ seconds of advertisements, whereas previously I did not have to watch ads at all.

Do I see any benefit of this deal? No. The ad revenue is pocketed entirely by the publisher. I doubt the developer even sees any money from the ads.

WTF is there official justification for this? COVID? There's not enough profit in video game sales? Just plain greed? Because they could?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5924 Posts

People bitch and moan yet they still buy it. Talk is cheap and until consumers make an impactful statement with their wallets and purses, (doubtful as long as there is one player(s) in the market) 2k will do as it wishes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#48 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 42770 Posts

They are claiming it was a mistake. As if they couldn't insult their audience any further.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1631 Posts

@briguyb13: China and the fraud LeBron.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13619 Posts

Sports gamers sprinting to beat phone gamers to the most stupid people I see.