NaughtyDog reveals Uncharted 2 Graphics info. Drake rendered with 80k polygons

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheArmyGuy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheArmyGuy48
Member since 2009 • 858 Posts

NaughtyDog Reveals Uncharted 2 Graphics info/Poly Count

Just by viewing Uncharted 2: Among Thieves screens or trailers, the first thing you'll notice are the incredible graphics. Naughty Dog was able to utilize the power of the Cell processor more than ever before, which allowed them to focus the graphics chip to certain aspects of the game.

In a video interview found in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Pal England, Lead Programmer at Naughty Dog, talked about the graphics of Uncharted 2. The main characters typically have eighty thousand polygons in them. Even more impressive, just using the graphics card, Naughty Dog was able to pump out two million triangles in every frame.

"Our characters they typically have eighty thousand polygons in you know, one character, like the main character. In total- what we try to push through to the graphics chip at one point two million triangles that we try to draw every frame. We do a lot using the cell processor."

Naughty Dog really pushed the PS3 hard this time around and it shows. Every level in Uncharted 2 looks better than the previous. Look for a full review later this weekend.

Nathan Drake is rendered with 80k polygons, as are all of the character models. Yes, you read it right. Eighty-thousand. Eighty thousand polygons in ONE FREAKIN CHARACTER WTF?

Just for comparison, Kratos has 20k polygons in God of War 3, Snake had 15k Polygons in Metal Gear Solid 4, and I believe Marcus had 12k Polygons in Gears 2.

All I have to say to that is WOW.

EDIT: Also, just to make this thread a little more fun, here are the Crysis numbers:

Crysis Character models
As we are using attachments we have to split the triangle numbers in the separate parts:
* Heads 3k triangles
* Body 5k triangles
* Attachments 1 k triangles

EDIT#2: Oh, yea, and how could I forget.... ITS OVER 9000!!!

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

That's really awesome, why does this matter though?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

Animal-Mother
This way, we don't have to count them ourselves.
mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mD-
Member since 2005 • 4314 Posts

[quote=""]Just by viewing Uncharted 2: Among Thieves screens or trailers, the first thing you'll notice are the incredible graphics. Naughty Dog was able to utilize the power of the Cell processor more than ever before, which allowed them to focus the graphics chip to certain aspects of the game.

In a video interview found in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Pal England, Lead Programmer at Naughty Dog, talked about the graphics of Uncharted 2. The main characters typically have eighty thousand polygons in them. Even more impressive, just using the graphics card, Naughty Dog was able to pump out two million triangles in every frame.

"Our characters they typically have eighty thousand polygons in you know, one character, like the main character. In total- what we try to push through to the graphics chip at one point two million triangles that we try to draw every frame. We do a lot using the cell processor."

Naughty Dog really pushed the PS3 hard this time around and it shows. Every level in Uncharted 2 looks better than the previous. Look for a full review later this weekend. TheArmyGuy48

Nathan Drake is rendered with 80k polygons, as are all of the character models. Yes, you read it right. Eighty-thousand. Eighty thousand polygons in ONE FREAKIN CHARACTER WTF?

Just for comparison, Kratos has 20k polygons in God of War 3, Snake had 15k Polygons in Metal Gear Solid 4, and I believe Marcus had 12k Polygons in Gears 2.

wow, interesting stuff. Are you sure about the other numbers with Kratos and Snake?
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

siLVURcross

LULZ, I wouldn't even know where to start. Also Whats the name of the girl in your sig, someone linked me to a bunch of photos of her once. But I forgot to bookmark it :(
TheCoreGamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheCoreGamer_
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Animal-Mother
because if im not mistaken, this is more then Crysis. PC owners owned.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

siLVURcross

LOL :lol:
fuchuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fuchuzz
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts

Thats a allot of poly's, ND's models look great in uncharted 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

Animal-Mother

LULZ, I wouldn't even know where to start. Also Whats the name of the girl in your sig, someone linked me to a bunch of photos of her once. But I forgot to bookmark it :(

Alodia Gosiengfiao

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

TheCoreGamer_

lulz, I cannot wait for a bunch of people to come post crysis screenshots and put U2 to shame :P
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="siLVURcross"] This way, we don't have to count them ourselves.siLVURcross

Alodia Gosiengfiao

Arigato!
TheCoreGamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheCoreGamer_
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="TheCoreGamer_"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

lulz, I cannot wait for a bunch of people to come post crysis screenshots and put U2 to shame :P

uncharted 2 looks way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> crysis IMHO.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="TheCoreGamer_"] because if im not mistaken, this is more then Crysis. PC owners owned.TheCoreGamer_

Ya in your opinion. But in real life crysis>>>>>>uncharted 2
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

TheCoreGamer_

Yeah Crytek totally got owned because they can optimise their graphics better...
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Animal-Mother
Smoother looking characters in general.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="siLVURcross"] This way, we don't have to count them ourselves.siLVURcross

Alodia Gosiengfiao

She has a lot of toys...:P

TheArmyGuy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheArmyGuy48

[QUOTE="TheArmyGuy48"]

[quote=""]Just by viewing Uncharted 2: Among Thieves screens or trailers, the first thing you'll notice are the incredible graphics. Naughty Dog was able to utilize the power of the Cell processor more than ever before, which allowed them to focus the graphics chip to certain aspects of the game.

Naughty Dog really pushed the PS3 hard this time around and it shows. Every level in Uncharted 2 looks better than the previous. Look for a full review later this weekend. mD-

wow, interesting stuff. Are you sure about the other numbers with Kratos and Snake?

The 20k that Kratos has been talked about in almost all of the GOW previews:

The new Kratos features blended normal maps for realistic muscle flexing, high-res shaders, rim shaders to stand out from the environment and other elements. In fact, Asmussen mentioned that his character model wouldn't even fit in the PS2's memory. Compared to the 5,000-polygon count on the PS2, Kratos is now running around 20,000 polygons on the PS3 alone. LINK

Looking the other numbers up now, but yea, they were released shortly after the launch of those games.

TheCoreGamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheCoreGamer_
[QUOTE="TheCoreGamer_"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] lulz, I cannot wait for a bunch of people to come post crysis screenshots and put U2 to shame :PAnimal-Mother

crysis looks too bland, and the kind of PC needed to produce graphics that would let one HONESTLY say crysis > uncharted, im guessing not many people have. The art direction for uncharted 2 also cannot be touched. so many different environments, such a huge scale and draw distance, awesome character models, it all just fits in U2, but crysis had some of these aspects missing. Not to mention it didnt even have the cinematic gaming.
Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
Don't GT5 and Forza 3 use many more per car model, and run at 60fps? I know they're racing games, but just saying.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="TheCoreGamer_"] uncharted 2 looks way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> crysis IMHO.TheCoreGamer_

crysis looks too bland, and the kind of PC needed to produce graphics that would let one HONESTLY say crysis > uncharted, im guessing not many people have. The art direction for uncharted 2 also cannot be touched. so many different environments, such a huge scale and draw distance, awesome character models, it all just fits in U2, but crysis had some of these aspects missing. Not to mention it didnt even have the cinematic gaming.

I can agree on the Art direction, but seeing how things are I don't know why I should argue with you

TheCoreGamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheCoreGamer_
[QUOTE="TheCoreGamer_"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] Ya in your opinion. But in real life crysis>>>>>>uncharted 2Animal-Mother

I can agree on the Art direction, but seeing your posting history, I don't know why I should argue.

dont make me turn into a black phantom lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] LULZ, I wouldn't even know where to start. Also Whats the name of the girl in your sig, someone linked me to a bunch of photos of her once. But I forgot to bookmark it :(mitu123

Alodia Gosiengfiao

Maybe even some that she didn't take pictures of ;)
TheArmyGuy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheArmyGuy48
[QUOTE="TheCoreGamer_"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

bobbetybob

Yeah Crytek totally got owned because they can optimise their graphics better...

PS3 did this with only half a gig of ram, while crysis has access to 4 gigs. If ANYTHING, Naughtydog is the one who is optimizing their graphics better. Once crysis 2 comes out on PS3 It will be just another average game that noone talks about.
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Holy crap, that's ridiculous.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]

Alodia Gosiengfiao

siLVURcross

Dude, you're giving me thoughts now,:P

Avatar image for PlatinumAngel02
PlatinumAngel02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PlatinumAngel02
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
**** crysis who plays that crap. if it werent for the graphics no one would know that game. in every others aspect it loses to uncharted and most games out there. it doesnt takes much to beat crysis when all it has its graphics. and besides the enviroments are so unispired. and the water doesnt look anywhere as good as uncharted. uncharted looks better than crysis no matter what pic you post me. in crysis you dont get to the top of a building in a city ruins, and stop to look at the amazing landscape around you, with the himalais and stuff.
shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

And heres some Crysis

How much were Uncharted 1s models?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

TheCoreGamer_

Polys are not the only factor to graphics, so I would reign in that insanity right now.
Avatar image for PlatinumAngel02
PlatinumAngel02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PlatinumAngel02
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

And heres some Crysis

shutdown_202
uncharted looks way better than this. im serious. i dont get this crysis thing.
TheArmyGuy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheArmyGuy48

shutdown_202

A helluvalot less than Uncharted 2, I can tell you that much. This game almost has the same amount of polys that forza 2 car models have. That is insane!

TheCoreGamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheCoreGamer_
[QUOTE="PlatinumAngel02"][QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

And heres some Crysis

lmao here ill even post U1 pics not even U2 which is the Graphics King. These are Uncharted ONE pics folks, didnt even post the snow from U2.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

:shock:

Don't really care, I was just hoping to see some pics :P

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
[QUOTE="TheCoreGamer_"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

Too bad a character doesn't make a game look good. The whole game makes it look good and UC2 isn't ANYWHERE close to the level of detail in Crysis.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

And heres some Crysis

PlatinumAngel02

It takes being unbiased and having eyesight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

TheArmyGuy48

A helluvalot less than Uncharted 2, I can tell you that much. This game almost has the same amount of polys that forza 2 car models have. That is insane!

Why that's crazy, that must mean using terrible logic that Nathan Drake must be actually...A CAR!
LiquidShnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LiquidShnake
Member since 2009 • 295 Posts

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"][QUOTE="mitu123"] She has a lot of toys...:P

mitu123

Yea that's alot of collectibles meaning we could make a good buck if we rob her, whose in?.

PSGamerforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PSGamerforlife
Member since 2009 • 862 Posts

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"][QUOTE="mitu123"] She has a lot of toys...:P

mitu123

toys?

...like lego?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"] Maybe even some that she didn't take pictures of ;)PSGamerforlife

toys?

...like lego?

Something better...

agff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 agff9
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts
80k? How much is that ?
TheArmyGuy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheArmyGuy48

The MGS4 models use 15k per character.

TheArmyGuy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheArmyGuy48
80k? How much is that ?agff9
80 thousand.
Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Alpha-Male22
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts
80k? How much is that ?agff9
Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Alpha-Male22
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts
[QUOTE="93soccer"][QUOTE="TheCoreGamer_"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

Too bad a character doesn't make a game look good. The whole game makes it look good and UC2 isn't ANYWHERE close to the level of detail in Crysis.

Nobody is disagreeing with that, so there's really no point in bringing it up.
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
Uncharted 2 looks like a cartoon, you can't even compare the two. And have fun boasting about the character having more polygons... not really something to boast about considering Crysis' character models look a LOT better with a LOT less polygons. Nice try though :D
Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

That's a great achievement by Naughty Dog, though I think the PS3 will struggle more with the same high resolution textures that most PC games has, since it only has 512MB RAM. Consoles has allways been strong in polygon count. I have tried out Crysis myself without these mods that most of the pictures on this Forum are using, and it looks great, but not something that can't be done on a smaller scale on consoles. It's an avarage shooter with great graphics and huge open areas. I have allways said that the water in the first Uncharted looks better than the water in Crysis.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="Alpha-Male22"] Nobody is disagreeing with that, so there's really no point in bringing it up.

Actually, yes, yes they are. Look above your post.
agff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 agff9
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts
So...how much UC2 have polygons on screen ? And how much Crysis have? I mean in total... PS:I wanted to make a joke xD...I should ask how much is 80,000...
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#48 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

Game looks great. That's about as much in depth as I want to go, commence to freaking out.

siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 siddhu33
Member since 2008 • 3264 Posts

My Mid-Range Computer, which runs on old hardware can do crysis like this:

There is no way that Uncharted is gfx king, and The_Core_Gamer is a known cow.

Kurdish-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kurdish-Gamer
Member since 2008 • 802 Posts
I wonder how many polygons the Leviathan had in Resistance 2