Naughty Dog Stole Assassin's Creed Artwork In Newest Uncharted 4 Trailer (Naughty Dog Responds)

• 114 results
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

Not the first time, http://www.nextgenupdate.com/news/artist-claims-naughty-dog-has-stolen-artwork-used-in-the-last-of-us

This is what I'm talking about. People think it's blowing it out of proportion to investigate Naughty Dog and see what other things did they steal and infringe. By the looks of it, they are repeat offenders.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts

The horror! ND will just take it down and let some intern draw up a new pic.

I wonder if they just put it in there to create some controversy.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:
@intotheminx said:

That is literally the same art minus the pirate lol. I wonder if it's too late for them to fix it.

It's just a single texture. Of course it can be fixed and replaced with something else.

I didn't know if the game went gold yet or not. It doesn't interest me enough to follow. I just assumed they may be forced into fixing it via a patch.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Why the hell would they do that? Who had ND decided it was a good idea? It may just be an Easter Egg but still. Completely pointless risk, especially when Ubisoft doesn't seem to agree with it.

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

Rise of the Uncharted from the assets of AC: Black Flag and Far Cry 3. :D Just kidding game looks good.

@darkangel115 said:

Not the first time, http://www.nextgenupdate.com/news/artist-claims-naughty-dog-has-stolen-artwork-used-in-the-last-of-us

Well it's the end of Thief xD.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 gago-gago

@khoofia_pika said:
@gago-gago said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they delay the game to remove this copy right infringement material. Now that Naughty Dog have been finally exposed, I wonder what other things did they stole from other games and incorporated them in their own games and acted like they were their own.

Blowing it out of proportion dude. Just a little bit.

So what exactly here is being blown out of proportion? This is not the first time they got exposed in infringing materials. The material here they infringe was turned to what seem to be an entire level environment for game play. Removing this material could delay the game. So what exactly is being blown out of proportion?

Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts

@gago-gago:

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 vvulturas
Member since 2015 • 1249 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Why the hell would they do that? Who had ND decided it was a good idea? It may just be an Easter Egg but still. Completely pointless risk, especially when Ubisoft doesn't seem to agree with it.

To be fair, the view of two team members does not reflect the stance of a whole company. Have Ubisoft commented yet? Last I read, they had declined to do so.

It will probably be resolved internally, without any problems for either parties involved.

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59  Edited By brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

I can't tell what posts are joking or not.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#60 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

@gago-gago said:
@khoofia_pika said:
@gago-gago said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they delay the game to remove this copy right infringement material. Now that Naughty Dog have been finally exposed, I wonder what other things did they stole from other games and incorporated them in their own games and acted like they were their own.

So what exactly here is being blown out of proportion? This is not the first time they got exposed in infringing materials. The material here they infringe was turned to what seem to be an entire level environment for game play. Removing this material could delay the game. So what exactly is being blown out of proportion?

You make it sound like they're infringing on major copyrights or trademarks and that them stealing is a common and major occurrence, which obviously is not true.

This particular incident is obviously inexcusable, but tone it down a bit.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Wouldn't be the first time. Were't they using an actress' likeness for Ellie in TLOU and had to change it because they didn't have her permission?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Zero_epyon

@R4gn4r0k said:

What ever happened to easter eggs and homages ?

Nowadays everything is stolen and needs to be taken to court.

I don't think that's what this is. I guess we'll have to see the context of the scene. But they took the pic and removed the mad standing in it. If it was an easter egg, they'd leave the man there to make it a little more obvious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

Ass-charted Creed

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By gago-gago

@khoofia_pika said:
@gago-gago said:
@khoofia_pika said:
@gago-gago said:

You make it sound like they're infringing on major copyrights or trademarks and that them stealing is a common and major occurrence, which obviously is not true.

This particular incident is obviously inexcusable, but tone it down a bit.

Other posters already made it known that this is not the first first time, so it seem to be a common occurrence and they are repeat offenders. They did it twice with Last of Us and now this. So putting into question what else have they infringed or copied is a valid argument and not blowing it out of proportions. They had to apologize to the artist they ripped off from and they significantly changed how Ellie appears in the game with TLoU. The severity of this infringement is really up to Ubisoft. Depending on the changes, it could cause delay. So once again nothing was blown out of proportion, the arguments are valid. All ND could do is remove it before game comes out and apologize on Twitter or something.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

My thoughts exactly. Everyone is is phony upset and calling "copycat." So easter eggs are bad now?

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Uncharted 4: An Assassins End.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#67 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

If you can't beat them, join them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Unassians 4: A Creed's End

imt558

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 imt558
Member since 2004 • 976 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Lol, wow, looks like Naughty Dog pulled a Nathan Drake and stole some art that wasn't theirs:

First, here is the new trailer:

Loading Video...

Next, here is a closer look at the artwork in the trailer:

Finally, here is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag art:

Even Ubisoft noticed this and commented on it:

Yikes. Not a good look for Naughty Dog, lol

To OP :

This is the new image and they removed the old trailer and add a new one :

Statement from ND:

In our eagerness to get the story trailer out we made a regrettable mistake and didn’t thoroughly vet the art work used for an in game painting. We’ve already updated the trailer. We hold all artistry in high regard and take full responsibility for having allowed this to happen.

We want to sincerely apologize to everyone at Ubisoft, the Assassin’s Creed team, the original artist, and our fans.

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/an_update_on_the_uncharted_4_a_thiefs_end_story_trailer/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

AssCharted 4: A Naughty Mistake

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#71 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@acp_45: good one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@kvally said:

@acp_45: good one

yeah?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46279 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I don't think that's what this is. I guess we'll have to see the context of the scene. But they took the pic and removed the mad standing in it. If it was an easter egg, they'd leave the man there to make it a little more obvious.

Games copy other games' mechanics all the time... it's basically the best description of this industry.

I don't mind a reference to another game, even though most of the time developers will reference their own games.

I just think a thread title that has "stole" in it is out of line. Everyone just loves to jump on the bandwagon.

ND are thieves !!!! Bloody thieves !!!! ... Yeah this entire industry is. Let's wait for some context before throwing wild accusations.

Or we can get our pitchforks and torches, whatever !

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Zero_epyon

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Games copy other games' mechanics all the time... it's basically the best description of this industry.

I don't mind a reference to another game, even though most of the time developers will reference their own games.

I just think a thread title that has "stole" in it is out of line. Everyone just loves to jump on the bandwagon.

ND are thieves !!!! Bloody thieves !!!! ... Yeah this entire industry is. Let's wait for some context before throwing wild accusations.

Or we can get our pitchforks and torches, whatever !

In this case it's not a game mechanic, it's artwork. Which they used in their own IP and manipulated it to make it look like it was their original artwork. Not world ending, but let's not sugar coat it either.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#75 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Funny.

They probably had it as a placeholder internally until they had some of their own art ready but forgot to replace it when they rendered the trailer.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#76 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

This is like retirement home level nit-picking. Why is anyone wasting their energy on this?

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 gago-gago

Looks like they changed the trailer, hopefully they really changed in in the actual game. Judging by their statements it was not to pay homage and it was not an easter egg, What it was is basic lazy developing and cutting corners and using other people's work. Not their first time and probably not the last, of us.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46279 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

In this case it's not a game mechanic, it's artwork. Which they used in their own IP and manipulated it to make it look like it was their original artwork. Not world ending, but let's not sugar coat it either.

So you think stealing is the right term to use here ?

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Oh the horror of this. It was screw up and of course it is being blown completely out of proportion.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

Naughty Dog indeed.

Im so torn on the Uncharted franchise. The presentation is superb. Graphics, atmosphere, sound, captivating set pieces and characters, great setting etc. Every iteration impresses in these areas. The cutscenes, excellently crafted, really sucking you into the story.

Yet....i just can't PLAY them. Every time i try, i just get this janky vibe from the gameplay. It's just not smooth for me. Ruins it every time. I want to love it, i really do but i just can't.

It is a trend that i do not approve of, where the developers put game play secondary to presentation. Is the game play passable? for sure, it's decent. But it is clearly not the focus. Not the selling point. And i just can't get behind games like this.

DandelionWine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#81 DandelionWine
Member since 2016 • 100 Posts

Idk if it was on purpose or not (if it wasn't then they need to be more careful) but it's good that they changed it so fast

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

The Live, LEARN and Love philosophy in action folks/

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

My assessment of this whole mess is some one was task to hide a spoiler there. A frame of someone next to a burnt out candle light or some sort of light symbolize death lol. They do trick shot to the trailer which cuts to the island, some one was told to put a pic similar to the island and messed up. Vetting process failed. Lets see when the game comes out what actually suppose to be there. I think art about island that trailer cuts to is just a clever place holder.

Criticisms are warranted though ND failed there.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Sony are crooks they stole their concept art and people are saying they can change it what difference does it make they still released a trailer with stolen content in it

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Zero_epyon

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Yes. They used an asset that wasn't theirs in their game. The fact that the artist is surprised and bringing this to light is because they did not ask for permission to use it. That's theft.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

i wonder if they wanted to have an Easter egg type thing.

Or not.

At least they apologized. Everyone makes mistakes.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Wouldn't be the first time. Were't they using an actress' likeness for Ellie in TLOU and had to change it because they didn't have her permission?

Not sure if they changed it, but that was bullshit. The character actually looked like the actress.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

It seems they really need to catalogue the artwork they use, this was probably a placeholder, I'm assuming they used that Ass Creed concept art as a base for what they wanted. You really think they were knowingly going to pass that off as their own work?

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

Sony = damage control these days.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#90 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Well, they also stole a map and an actor's face without permission. So this isn't very surprising.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#91  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts
@aigis said:
@charizard1605 said:
@aigis said:

They took a random art thing, HOW DARE THEY

They took key artwork, and it's stealing. Don't even try justifying it.

Of course its stealing. I dont disagree at all with that. Its just so small a detail that shouldnt be a big deal. They probably are just black flag fans and put the picture as an homage to it, im sure ND could come up with their own beach artwork if pressed.

So if you agree that it's stealing, then you'd also have to agree that your "They took a random art thing, HOW DARE THEY" response was pretty dumb. I mean, you do realize that stealing is wrong, right?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

For shame "SP rolls up yesterdays paper and starts swinging".... Bad dog, baaaaaad dog !! :P

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 GreySeal9

@Zero_epyon said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Yes. They used an asset that wasn't theirs in their game. The fact that the artist is surprised and bringing this to light is because they did not ask for permission to use it. That's theft.

^I agree with your rational responses in this thread.

We don't need to burn ND at the stake for this, but the apologizing in this thread is beyond ridiculous.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Metal of Duty Field 4: A Far Charted Creed

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#95 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

@acp_45 said:

Why can't they just call it Pokemon and get it over with

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 GreySeal9

@khoofia_pika said:
@quadknight said:

I would care about this if Assassins Creed games were remotely good. They need to focus on their gameplay and design and worry less about stolen concept art. The Ass Creed games are currently shit.

a) Black Flag was actually pretty good.

b) Even if they are shit, that doesn't give ND the right to flat out steal.

Haha. The "Assassin's Creed is shit, so ND's theft is okay!" defense has to be the stupidest thing I've heard on this forum in a long time. And I say that as someone who hates AC so much that I'd probably rather play Knack.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@khoofia_pika said:
@acp_45 said:

Why can't they just call it Pokemon and get it over with

Call of an Uncharted Field 4: A Thief's Far Cry

Man, One can come up with a bunch of names but it still doesn't quite achieve the level of the japanese just throwing " Metal Gear Solid" around.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#98 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

See no problem in this tbh. It could be a fun Easter egg. But the "explanation" from Naughty Dog is kind of stupid, and makes this look as just a sleazy marketing move.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 GreySeal9

@phbz said:

See no problem in this tbh. It could be a fun Easter egg. But the "explanation" from Naughty Dog is kind of stupid, and makes this look as just a sleazy marketing move.

Awesome. If I ever want to make a game and take someone's art, I'll just call it a "fun Easter egg."

I don't see the problem with ND's response, unless they said something in addition to what is in the OP.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

They were Naughty and the Thief has been caught, all is well.