Nathan Drakes Luck Meter

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

For those who haven't heard... https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/uncharted-apos-nathan-drake-isn-090200515.html

Uncharted games do not feature a health meter, they feature a luck meter. Drake is not a bullet sponge, he just runs out of luck before someone pops his ass to the game over screen.

I actually think this is a pretty neat concept that should be explored more, and implemented with purpose, but what really caught me was Amy Hennig talking about it...

"As Amy Hennig, director of the first three Uncharted games explained: "True! That was the original intention (to stay more aligned with the spirit and tone of the films we were homaging.)"

Staying more aligned with the spirit and tone of the films we were homaging...

That sentence right there is why I worry about video games future and why I don't look at uncharted games in the same light as say Bayonetta or super meat boy... This is one of the top writers of one of the most successful developers (yes I know she is no longer with ND) admitting that their scope is to chase the aesthetics of a film.... Not for gameplay purposes or to better serve their player systems, but to align more with chasing the feeling of watching Indiana Jones...

Games are sooooooo much more than films when a smart developer is squarely focused on building aesthetics around air tight gameplay. Our hobby transcends film, TV, and all other forms because it is interactive and can be so much more to the human experience than simply a film...

I like devs that make a game first and a film last.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

This is why PS4 rules, super meatboy was a PS+ title and its a great game non-movie.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheEroica  Moderator

@ProtossRushX: smb may be one of the best ever... Certainly in its genre, but more so as an example of how to game.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Yeah I saw that in Yahoo, pretty funny!

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Nathan Drake Vs Fortune(MGS2) Vs Domino(Deadpool) Vs Fallout Character with Max Luck.

100,000 bullets fired and no one gets hit. Match ends in a draw.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Stealth PS4 'movie' game bash thread confirmed....

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I really don't care how they deal with player health, but that is an interesting way to look at it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

That's why Sony is so afraid of crossplay, they know there's no lucky meters online.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts
@phbz said:

That's why Sony is so afraid of crossplay, they know there's no lucky meters online.

And yet they have cross play......

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Uncharted would have been better without health regen. They expect you run and gun and jump around, but you're so weak, because giving you little health is the only way to make health regen challenging.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@scatteh316: Just not with their rivals.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

People love to try to bash Uncharted like their little comments online have any chance of stopping it from being a f***ing juggernaut. If you don't like it don't play it. I've played them all and enjoyed them. Movie game or no movie game they're still a pretty fun one and done

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

One of my biggest issues with Uncharted 2 was that the gameplay was so far removed from the films they were homaging. The gameplay had more to do with Rambo than Indiana Jones. I wish it focused more on adventure and puzzles to counter the action.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@TheEroica: Thanks for the share :) Always took this as a given.

I know developers can do whatever they want to their games, and can come up with the most nonsensical explanations as to how and why things happen but, this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard yet lol.

On that note. I guess this applies to the enemies too. They took a lot of bullets before going down in Crushing difficulty.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

This is why PS4 rules, super meatboy was a PS+ title and its a great game non-movie.

I beat the end is nigh this year. Criminally underrated especially since it's such a great game for anyone who enjoyed meatboy.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

One of my biggest issues with Uncharted 2 was that the gameplay was so far removed from the films they were homaging. The gameplay had more to do with Rambo than Indiana Jones. I wish it focused more on adventure and puzzles to counter the action.

Gotta love uncharted "puzzles." Open book and read answers.

Genius!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@TheEroica said:

For those who haven't heard... https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/uncharted-apos-nathan-drake-isn-090200515.html

Uncharted games do not feature a health meter, they feature a luck meter. Drake is not a bullet sponge, he just runs out of luck before someone pops his ass to the game over screen.

I actually think this is a pretty neat concept that should be explored more, and implemented with purpose, but what really caught me was Amy Hennig talking about it...

"As Amy Hennig, director of the first three Uncharted games explained: "True! That was the original intention (to stay more aligned with the spirit and tone of the films we were homaging.)"

That sentence right there is why I worry about video games future and why I don't look at uncharted games in the same light as say Bayonetta or super meat boy... This is one of the top writers of one of the most successful developers (yes I know she is no longer with ND) admitting that their scope is to chase the aesthetics of a film.... Not for gameplay purposes or to better serve their player systems, but to align more with chasing the feeling of watching Indiana Jones...

Games are sooooooo much more than films when a smart developer is squarely focused on building aesthetics around air tight gameplay. Our hobby transcends film, TV, and all other forms because it is interactive and can be so much more to the human experience than simply a film...

ButthurtLem!!!!!

10/10 GOAT! Stay Salty

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

Seems like a dumb excuse for an issue people haven't brought up since the days of "too brown/gray" and "eww it has a multiplayer pass". People are much more preoccupied with things like "derp microtransactions derp" that I would have just left this one alone.

If going forward they are going forward going to make it so enemy bullets just miss the player until the luck meter depletes, I wonder if that'll spark a new type of criticism likening enemy AI to storm troopers that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cainetao11

@lamprey263 said:

Seems like a dumb excuse for an issue people haven't brought up since the days of "too brown/gray" and "eww it has a multiplayer pass". Is this a dated article?

If going forward they are going forward going to make it so enemy bullets just miss the player until the luck meter depletes, I wonder if that'll spark a new type of criticism likening enemy AI to storm troopers that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

As bad as Storm troopers' marksmanship is, EVERYONE in the GI Joe cartoon (80's) missed every shot. Nobody ever got shot.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

I think this is why perhaps Amy has struggled to go anywhere this gen. More than anyone she really seems to be affected by the whole the gamplay has to justify the movie tone of a game. Reading that kotaku article about the trouble development UC4 gives you insight that actually the other team ended putting more gameplay than what she originally had in mind.

At first i was like hey something like this could actually be a cool video game mechanic if it wasn't done for the stupid excuse. If was expanded to the tactic of the game.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ant_17

@phbz said:

I wonder why...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Well, clearly, the answer is that there should be no more games like Uncharted. What we need are less genres. Choice is bad. In sameness, there is redemption. Sony should have never ever made a cinematic third person shooter and should apologize. Even though, people bought the first, second, third, and fourth installment of the franchise by the millions, it is very clear that this was an ornate deception to call something a game that makes people mad.

Sony is literally Hitler.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEroica  Moderator

@cainetao11: lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Ya do realize all these two sentences are very hypocrite coming from a Mass Effect lover, right?

Or dont you think ME wasnt homaging the likes of Star Trek and Star Wars? Next you are going to tell me Mass Effect had "good" gameplay... AH

@Shewgenja said:

Well, clearly, the answer is that there should be no more games like Uncharted. What we need are less genres. Choice is bad. In sameness, there is redemption. Sony should have never ever made a cinematic third person shooter and should apologize. Even though, people bought the first, second, third, and fourth installment of the franchise by the millions, it is very clear that this was an ornate deception to call something a game that makes people mad.

Couldnt have said it better myself. The man loves to hate on cinematic games (strangely enough, mostly the ones made by sony) while being a huge Mass Effect fan... Am I the only one seeing the irony in this?

edit: And want to know the biggest irony in this "gameplay vs story/characters" debacle? The Mass Effect with the best gameplay is also the most hated by the fans... it kinda makes you think, uh?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

This is why Uncharted 3 and 4 were shitty gaming experiences for me. It is so obvious how hard they worked on consistently taking away play from the the gamer. Its difficult for me to enjoy any game that force feeds you cinematic and routinely take away control for storytelling.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Yeah you make a good point... and that's why I've always thought that Naughty Dog games are a bit overrated. They're basically just games with heaps of cutscenes (which are very well done), and some shooting in between.

However, I'm not against cutscenes in games & I'm certainly a fan of games having great stories/characters. But that shouldn't be put before gameplay. A game that comes to mind recently that gets the balance right imo is Nier Automata.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cainetao11

@Ant_17 said:
@phbz said:

I wonder why...

Its called "fear".

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@Shewgenja said:

Its great to see that you are finally being honest with yourself. :)

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ant_17

@cainetao11 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@phbz said:

I wonder why...

Its called "fear".

Fear of what?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#31 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@TheEroica:

If that was a luck meter then why do bullets pierce Nate's body? We see it clearly hit his skin and blood splatter! Does luck make you bullet proof? It's obviously health regen! Just call it what is!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pedro

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@TheEroica:

If that was a luck meter then why do bullets pierce Nate's body? We see it clearly hit his skin and blood splatter! Does luck make you bullet proof? It's obviously health regen! Just call it what is!

How dare you simplify the exotic nature of the luck system.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Movies are fun for a while.

Games can be (re)played indefinitely.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pedro
@R4gn4r0k said:

Movies are fun for a while.

Games can be (re)played indefinitely.

Movies can be replayed to.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nepu7supastar7

@Pedro:

Hearing her call it a "system" really pissed me off. If we're going to rename health regen without the bar the luck system then I guess we must have ALOT of lucky protagonists!

Nate, Lara Croft, Marcus Fenix, Faith, Godzilla, etc. ND didn't invent the shit! Everyone uses it! It's all for the sake of immersion!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cainetao11

@Ant_17 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@phbz said:

I wonder why...

Its called "fear".

Fear of what?

Fear of loss. Those with the most always fear losing it. Greg Miller was right when he said they aren't acting in strength they are acting in fear.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ant_17

@cainetao11 said:
@Ant_17 said:

Fear of what?

Fear of loss. Those with the most always fear losing it. Greg Miller was right when he said they aren't acting in strength they are acting in fear.

And? They're not Marty Mcfly to do everything everytime they're called chicken.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

Wish Bruce and Amy would come back and Neal would get bounced.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@phbz said:

I wonder why...

Its called "fear".

Fear of what?

The sum of all fears!

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ant_17

@davillain- said:
@Ant_17 said:
@cainetao11 said:

Its called "fear".

Fear of what?

The sum of all fears!

Fear the old blood.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nepu7supastar7

@hrt_rulz01:

"Yeah you make a good point... and that's why I've always thought that Naughty Dog games are a bit overrated. They're basically just games with heaps of cutscenes (which are very well done), and some shooting in between.

However, I'm not against cutscenes in games & I'm certainly a fan of games having great stories/characters. But that shouldn't be put before gameplay. A game that comes to mind recently that gets the balance right imo is Nier Automata."

- All that is bs exaggeration. If you can stand talking to an npc for 20 minutes at a time in games like Mass Effect and Witcher and manage to stomach 1 hour long cutscenes like in Metal Gear Solid then there's no reason why Uncharted's cinematography should bother you! Uncharted's 5 minute cutscenes won't kill you! Unless you got some serious ADD.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Why was this brought up? Aren't (certain) movies and games supposed to take us away from reality? So what if the dude gets shot and health regens.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: When you look at it now with this hindsight it does appear like the bullets don't really hit. I think the point that TC is trying to make is not really the mechanic itself. I think its about the mindset of the devs. That is why we go from UC to Super Meat Boy weird comparison. ND instead of basically answering the criticism by saying its a fuckin video game at the end of the day. The player can take several hits in an unrealistic way because its a video game. It really is just a form of health gen mechanic like the other games. They instead purposely felt the need to make the bullets not land in order to pay homage to the movie the game borrows inspiration from is what worries people like TC.

Because of that mentality questions can arise like did they remove climbing mechanics from UC4 because of production or was it because it would not fit the movie.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nepu7supastar7

@ellos:

What do you call it? Deflection? Like I said, the bullets can be seen clearly hitting Drake. That's irrefutable evidence in the games themselves. So they can't just say that they magically miss now. It's not something to be ashamed about either! Uncharted was never meant to be a simulation!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

Gotta love uncharted "puzzles." Open book and read answers.

Genius!

I agree. Uncharted 2 is way overhyped IMO, because it just feels like one bombastic semi-on-rails set piece after another.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

lol that is so lame, what a copout.

These are video games we are playing (though in Uncharted's case, you could argue otherwise hashtagdownwithmoviegames), I don't really care about any sort of realistic explanation. Let him be able to take 20 shots to the body.

Unless it's a simulation based on realism, I simply consider that video games take place in some alternate universe where humans have no internal organs and are just masses of muscle that can take a few shots :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Naughty Dog has many qualities, unfortunately game design is not one of them.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

By golly that's awesome.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pedro

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Pedro:

Hearing her call it a "system" really pissed me off. If we're going to rename health regen without the bar the luck system then I guess we must have ALOT of lucky protagonists!

Nate, Lara Croft, Marcus Fenix, Faith, Godzilla, etc. ND didn't invent the shit! Everyone uses it! It's all for the sake of immersion!

You know people love to feel special and the easiest way of achieving that is by renaming it. I agree with your assertion.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@Pedro: But a movie remains the same if you watch it a second or third time. (I do like rewatching movies though)

A game experience can be completely different from one playthrough to the next.