my msg4 review (ps3 fanboys must read)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vipa3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 vipa3456
Member since 2008 • 177 Posts

I had high hopes for this title, pre-ordered it a while back and bought it today. I haven't played any of the previous MG games, so my review's based on this alone. The intro sequence was great to start with - atmospheric etc, but after about 20 minutes of movie clips with the odd 2 minutes of gameplay in between (for god's sake, it's even listing the music titles and artists during gameplay) I was getting bored. After the 5th long movie clip started up I went and made a coffee... 5 minutes later I returned and it was still playing. "Did I buy a game, or a pixar movie?!" I wondered at this point.

Finally I appeared in a zone that took more than a minute to complete - actually it took 20 minutes, mostly crawling slowly along attempting to avoid everyone, which is basically impossible - you have to fight your way through despite what the numerous "help screens" tell you (these pop up every couple of minutes, stopping the game to give you advice.) The combat is pretty simple - kill someone, then a radio voice announces it's sending reinforcements, then kill 2 more, then wait, then crawl forward a bit - slowly. Wash, rinse, repeat.

One of the worst aspects of the game (maybe a buggy copy?) is that there's no way to equip things you pick up, including new weapons. Although the dialogue announces that you find a box, or a new gun, cycling through your inventory or weapons cache does not show any new items. So basically, you're stuck with the gun you start with, and a knife, no matter what you find along the way. Maybe this changes later on, but there's nothing to tell you this.

Anyway, after crawling about and watching CGI movies for an hour I'd had enough; I've given the game away to my brother, and going back to GTA4. If you have a choice, I'd go with GTA; it has far more depth, and you actually get to play the game rather than sit there watching a movie.

Ffs, if this is what you hardcore gamers are into these days then im ashamed to even be a gamer its more of a movei ffs. its like 30 mins cutscene then 2 min gameplay and then another 30 min cutscene.

Gamersince81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gamersince81
Member since 2007 • 1787 Posts
typing that doesnt prove anthing lol.
vipa3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 vipa3456
Member since 2008 • 177 Posts
i didnt say it proves anything its just my opinion
Foxhound_spy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Foxhound_spy
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts
TC you fail at life really bad :(
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

One of the worst aspects of the game (maybe a buggy copy?) is that there's no way to equip things you pick up, including new weapons. Although the dialogue announces that you find a box, or a new gun, cycling through your inventory or weapons cache does not show any new items. So basically, you're stuck with the gun you start with, and a knife, no matter what you find along the way. Maybe this changes later on, but there's nothing to tell you this.

vipa3456

:lol: Lol terrible, terrible. Press start and go to weapons and you can add weapons to your disposal

And I highly highly doubt anyone is going to listen to you. I bought the game last night. AAAAAA from me.

lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts
wow, dont know where to begin
ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ImSwordMan
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

lol your just bad at the game :lol:

/thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts

Honestly, I'm not sure if anyone will care since you're not Gamespot or any other big name review site/magazine/critic. It's nice that you have an "opinion" on the game, but from looking at this post, I can see that this is clearly flamebait, not an opinion. All I have to say is...

Credibility Confirmed.

blitzkid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blitzkid1
Member since 2008 • 3952 Posts
lol long cutscenes im going to stay far away from this game, and i do have a ps3 and 360.
potato66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 potato66
Member since 2006 • 572 Posts
lol .
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#12 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
Well if they are as long as Xenosags cutscenes.....WE ARE SCREWED! D:
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
its a great game
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
i saw cgi and decided not to read...the cutscenes only get long about 10 hours into the game...even then there are only about two up until that point that are some what long (havent beat the game yet ) Also there is much much much more gameplay than cutscene...anyway who has actually played the game knows this
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts

You've played the game for 1 hour and deemed it not worthy of your precious time. We certainly needed to know this and I'd welcome any further inputs you might have on this issue. Frosal

Nothing is more annoying then people hopping online to give us their opinion on a game after only playing for a small fraction of the time it takes to complete the game.

There have been plenty of games over the years that I did not like, even despised, after the first few hours but after completing the game I felt totally different. Or games I thought kicked ass after the first few hours but by the end I was hating the game.

You can not review a game after only playing the first few hours of a 20 hour game.

Sadly, I do not think this is flaimbait. Just another gamer who plays a small fraction of a game before coming to a conclusion. Like the people who were online the day GTA4 came out crying about bad driving controls before they even gave the controls a chance.

I will not be able to play this game until next week and I am not a big MGS fan. I never played MGS3. I will however play the game to its completion and beyond before I form an opinion.

EstralS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EstralS
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts
Try playing the game for real.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts

If only you were like this ...

Heres a story of some unknown guy playing MGS 4 for the first time.

"I started playing this at 10 a.m. one Saturday morning. With curtains drawn and sound turned up, I finished it at around 11 a.m. Sunday morning. I had no idea what time it was. I paused only for tea and chocolate biscuits."

LOL if this is true then he must of rushed through the game on easy since it took him/her 13 hours.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

The cutscenes arent CGI TC....and it sounds like this is the first MGS game you've ever played....which is probably why you dont like it

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts
Learn how to

I had high hopes for this title, pre-ordered it a while back and bought it today. I haven't played any of the previous MG games, so my review's based on this alone. The intro sequence was great to start with - atmospheric etc, but after about 20 minutes of movie clips with the odd 2 minutes of gameplay in between (for god's sake, it's even listing the music titles and artists during gameplay) I was getting bored. After the 5th long movie clip started up I went and made a coffee... 5 minutes later I returned and it was still playing. "Did I buy a game, or a pixar movie?!" I wondered at this point.

Finally I appeared in a zone that took more than a minute to complete - actually it took 20 minutes, mostly crawling slowly along attempting to avoid everyone, which is basically impossible - you have to fight your way through despite what the numerous "help screens" tell you (these pop up every couple of minutes, stopping the game to give you advice.) The combat is pretty simple - kill someone, then a radio voice announces it's sending reinforcements, then kill 2 more, then wait, then crawl forward a bit - slowly. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Anyway, after crawling about and watching CGI movies for an hour I'd had enough; I've given the game away to my brother, and going back to GTA4. If you have a choice, I'd go with GTA; it has far more depth, and you actually get to play the game rather than sit there watching a movie.

Ffs, if this is what you hardcore gamers are into these days then im ashamed to even be a gamer its more of a movei ffs. its like 30 mins cutscene then 2 min gameplay and then another 30 min cutscene.

vipa3456

Learn how to not suck at games