My MAG review Its awesome... sort of

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for _Judge_Gabranth
_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _Judge_Gabranth
Member since 2006 • 257 Posts

Well this is pretty much what we are going to get with the final release so I thought I would write a little review.

Presentation

Lets face it the graphics are not that good though they are a fairly impressive for agame of this magnitude.Some textures look prettybad and theworst part is the foliage which looks horrible.The biggest issue in this department is animations. The running and jumping animations are stiff and look pretty bad. The character models actually look pretty decent. I do really like how the menus look and how the background is diffrent depending on the PMC you chose.The visuals in MAG aren't that great but they don't take away from the gameplay.

Gameplay

Here is were online shooters make their money and MAG doesn't disappoint the gun play is great. It doesn't take a whole clip to kill someone but it doesn't take 2 hits like a CoD. The gunplay is smooth andfeels great. MAGs selling point is its large scale battle. 256 player battles has never been done before on consoles and MAG does it without any LAG or slowdowns. Another big selling point is the 3 playable PMCs. Unfortunately the differences between the PMCs are just cosmetic. The guns are just reskinned andif the weapons do have any diffrences they are hardly noticable. All the PMCs have the same equipment and Upgrades. I love the RPG like skill tree used to upgrade it always countless combinations to custumize your soldier. The thing is you will be custumizing with the diffrent skills not weapons themselves becuase the weapons in this game are limited. There is 3 assualt rifles( 1 being useless) 1 smg 2 pistols 3 sniper rifles(Only 1 is really useful)3 lmgs and 2 pistols. Im not asking for 50 diffrent guns but having more then 2 or 3 per group would be nice.The Gamplay in MAG is very good but a few things really ruin this experience.

The 2 biggest selling points in MAG are 256 and 3 PMCs the problem is these things are what hurts MAG the most. First 256 sounds great but in reality the way the maps are divided you never really get to see the all 256 in one area. Instead of having a large 256 player battle the map is broken into 4 smaller battles.Another reason 256 hurtsis becauseMAG is a team game first and its hard to get 8 people to use teamwork in most games. In MAG you have to get 128 people to work together which is not realistic. The excellent command system does help this butit doesnt solve the problem.If you play domination your squad could dominate but you have to relay on the 3 other platoons to do their work. The 3 PMCs also hurt MAG greatly since each PMC can only defend their own map this leads to certain teams having advantages. Also if you have friends on other factions you cannot play with them. Some maps are harder or easier to defend then other certain factions a large advantage. If you could attack and defend all maps this would be solved.

Another problem with MAG is its very repetitive. Yea their are 12 maps I think but there is only 3 per game mode. This game is meant to be played 256 in domination but you will only play the 3 domination maps. You will never get to play those 9 other maps if you like to play dominaiton. To add to that you only defend your map and never get todefend the other maps so that even limits the experiance even further. There is only 4 game modes suppression, sabotage, acquisition, and domination. 4 game modes sounds great but at the end of the day they are all aside from suppression attack and defend variants. All of those game modes involve one team attacking somewhere and another team camping that spot. Another problem is the timer. In sabotage the timer is 20 minutes long. If your defending there is no way for you to stop the timer. If you are dominating the other team you are left to spawn camp for 20 mins. Maybe if they had the timer 10 minutes then you get a additional 10 minutes when you capture the first objective.

Conclusion
MAG has great gameplay and a ton of potential and had many great new ideas like command, 256, and different playable factions but they were not executed very well and they created to many problems. At the end of the day 256 players is a gimmick that hurts the experaince more then helps it.If they make MAG 2 and fix some of these problemsI will be the first in line but this game as is has to many problems.

Yankees718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Yankees718
Member since 2009 • 1033 Posts

I'm thinking of a word....it rhymes with smog...

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

I'm thinking of a word....it rhymes with smog...

Yankees718

Alcohol?

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#4 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

why are we already thinking about MAG 2?

besides, it looks mediocore at best.

HeroKen-ii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 HeroKen-ii
Member since 2008 • 458 Posts

I'm taking it that this is based on the beta.

I hope the problems that you pointed out are fixed before the full game comes out.

gandaf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 gandaf007
Member since 2009 • 892 Posts

I hope the problems that you pointed out are fixed before the full game comes out.

HeroKen-ii

The game is 22 days from release, I think this is pretty much the final product.

_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _Judge_Gabranth

Dead-Memories

Its all we have left because the first one isnt very good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

_Judge_Gabranth

If the first one isn't very good and doesn't sell there won't be a second one. I played it for a while and was pretty underwhelmed. It's kinda just Battlefield. I'm not sure why people would play this instead of Killzone or Bad Company 2.

_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _Judge_Gabranth

[QUOTE="_Judge_Gabranth"]

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

supercubedude64

If the first one isn't very good and doesn't sell there won't be a second one. I played it for a while and was pretty underwhelmed. It's kinda just Battlefield. I'm not sure why people would play this instead of Killzone or Bad Company 2.

Well I like the gunplay everything else sucks though

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="HeroKen-ii"]

gandaf007

The game is 22 days from release, I think this is pretty much the final product.

and they would never change that much in gameplay during a open beta
Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

I was very dissapointed with the first and second beta. But i was playing today and it was improved alot. Like you said the graphics are awful. The strong point is the scale and teamwork. It feels like you are in a squad apart of a big battle. You can choose to stick with your squad and follow your objective, but if other squads are lacking you are free to stray off and help them for the greater good of the overall team. Also i like how different each PMC is, it gives you a feeling that you are apart of an actual conflict. The choice of faction and the effects of the shadow war is something more games should implement. i think its a good 8.0 game, could be better.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
the beta was horrible...HORRIBLE........bad gun sounds no real power in any gun fired the graphics were terrible and we have yet to see what the real graphics of the game are going to be....controls are clunky and the game doesnt give u a good description of what it wants u to do for a mission
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
the game wont score higher then a 6.5......these graphics honestly could have been done on the ps2.....and there is no team work its a bunch of people running around trying to steal a some super new vehicle or ur trying to destory turrets and crap.....the game is bad
Kiljoy66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kiljoy66
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

Good job reviewing an open beta that will be changed/tweaked/fixed as it nears release.