My impressions with Anthem's Demo & Q/A ask me anything!

• 55 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

First let me just say I was really impress with Anthem's gameplay lore of the world map, this totally blows Destiny right off the radar and nowhere near on Destiny's level.

Playing this on PC, haven't run into problems so far. The thing I like about Anthem is that you can fly all over the mad, the flying part is pretty much the coolest thing I done. Combat-wise, it plays almost like Mass Effect: Andromeda on the ground but with more intense moving around & shooting, the abilities are fun to use against enemies. I was only giving the Ranger suit, it's an all-around suit build for combat & speed, sounds like my kind of battle suit. Kudos for Bioware going with no lootboxes & Cosmetics can be earned simply by playing Anthem as it should be.

I went in with low expectations, I was impress what I play for about an hour, Anthem really kept me playing more and doing other stuff.

Edit: I want to point out to everyone, wait for independent reviews on Anthem! Do not go pre-order this game unless you already one what your getting out of this, wait for Reviews.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

Is it more destiny?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@TheEroica said:

Is it more destiny?

In many ways, Anthem is the Destiny we need. Destiny is the game we deserve lol.

But no, the characters in Anthem you will be controlling on the battlefield (no pun intended) moves more fluid and you'll be able to fly anytime which Destiny cannot do these things. The combat isn't nowhere with Destiny. In ways, think of it as Ironman with steroids. The city in Anthem does share similarities with Destiny but only slightly better during interaction with characters and shopping in other words, the Mall is slightly better then Destiny's Mall if you can call it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Is it solo-player friendly?

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@xantufrog: you can play solo but their thing you need a team to take on.

Dire_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dire_Raven
Member since 2019 • 44 Posts

Can you play the game offline or does it run in a server?

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Should I give a shit about this game or not really? I think Destiny is trash and Mass Effect wasnt my favorite franchise

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

How do you even play?? I get stuck at 95% on loading each time, appears to be a common issue.... near waste of a month of vip access to origin!

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@davillain- said:
@TheEroica said:

Is it more destiny?

In many ways, Anthem is the Destiny we need. Destiny is the game we deserve lol.

But no, the characters in Anthem you will be controlling on the battlefield (no pun intended) moves more fluid and you'll be able to fly anytime which Destiny cannot do these things. The combat isn't nowhere with Destiny. In ways, think of it as Ironman with steroids. The city in Anthem does share similarities with Destiny but only slightly better during interaction with characters and shopping in other words, the Mall is slightly better then Destiny's Mall if you can call it.

This is sounding alot like Warframe.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 djoffer

Got it to work, sort off, found out you could close the game and then open it again after the crash, that prombted the game to send you directly into the mission you were on, and somehow that didnt cause the game to crash.

Been playing around with it for 15-20 minutes, and yes this is more Destiny, and chances are if you hate Destiny you will hate Anthem. That being said, this is definitely a better Destiny in every way, and the flying part works really well so fare. Definitely a little more hyped for it now, and will continue to play during this weekend.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Well, Andromeda combat was really the only good thing about that game, so that's good news. Destiny combat was boring as hell, along with the rest of the game. Still on the fence about this game, though.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#12 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

The thing I dont like about Anthem is it seems like a game any well funded AAA studio could make. Nothing that really makes it stand out as a Bioware game.

honestly, at this point I can't even see myself liking this as much as Andromeda because at least it felt like a Bioware type of game, even if it generally lacked memorable characters. This just looks like another Live Service money-grab with pretty graphics and no soul

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

@djoffer said:

How do you even play?? I get stuck at 95% on loading each time, appears to be a common issue.... near waste of a month of vip access to origin!

When I was done downloading, I just went in nothing happen, it took me straight into the game. Didn't know few are having loading problems so can't say how it's happening.

@kali-b1rd said:

This is sounding alot like Warframe.

It's nothing like Warframe from what i've played so far, only similarity is robotic suits with abilities. It's more like a cross between The Division and Destiny if anything but only better. I keep seeing this it looks like Warframe. It feels nothing like Warframe and if you think it does, then Warframe ripped off Mass Effect combat, because this feels more like the natural evolution of that and I played Warframe, this is way more fun (to me at least) and enjoyable. It's really nothing like it. It's Mass Effect, there's shielded/armor/health enemies and weapons/powers that are more effective against said enemy types. Hell you can even prime and detonate for combos. That isn't a bad thing though.

@dire_raven said:

Can you play the game offline or does it run in a server?

Haven't tested going offline and this is a demo but the way this game operates, it's running on server but you can play it solo if that's what you're wondering.

@djoffer said:

Got it to work, sort off, found out you could close the game and then open it again after the crash, that prombted the game to send you directly into the mission you were on, and somehow that didnt cause the game to crash.

Been playing around with it for 15-20 minutes, and yes this is more Destiny, and chances are if you hate Destiny you will hate Anthem. That being said, this is definitely a better Destiny in every way, and the flying part works really well so fare. Definitely a little more hyped for it now, and will continue to play during this weekend.

Pretty much this and if you didn't like Destiny the first time, chances are, you won't like Anthem at all. Think of this as Destiny 3 but with a much better developer who should have been part of Destiny day one in a way.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

I’ve played for a little over an hour and I have to say the game feels great. It’s just fun to zip around and blast enemies, fly all over, and prime/detonate combos....It’s not perfect, still has some definite bugs with loading, a few frame rate dips in the fort on Xbox, and stability issues. However, I had a blast with the little I played and it makes me optimistic for the whole package.

If the story and content are half as good as the gameplay itself, this will be a very good game. I’ll keep an eye on the open demo next week to see if we have improvement and go from there.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Is BioWare not making another KotOR because they will be tied to this game-service for the next 5 years?

Okay, okay... real question time:

I did watch some of GiantBomb's Quick Look and the world looks awesome but I'm worried the quests and characters are too flat for me to care about it very much. How much of the questing/story was available in the demo and does it seem compelling, or is it just filler to get you around the world until you hit max level then you start grinding? TBH I want to avoid it because it looks like the type of game that does not respect your time. Interesting lore is really the only thing that might get me to play it.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dreman999

@dire_raven: even warframe is always online.

Progress is saved online. So yes.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 djoffer

@davillain-: How is the loadtimes with you? For me on pc with 1070 and 16gb of ram they are really long...

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dreman999

@pyro1245: you need to look up anthem quests about the guy who was split into three.

From that alone it's clear it will at least have interesting characters.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Hate destiny, so I'll be skipping

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Watched some gameplay and all looks and sounds great to me. Very hyped for this game, day one purchase for me.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dreman999

@jeezers: it clearly play more like warframe.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 djoffer

Just finished the main story (of the demo) and gotta say i really liked it. There is a lot of things in the game that makes zero sense, but if bioware manage to produce a high quality story, I think we are in for quite a threat when it releases. Only thing that worries me, is that it will launch in 3 weeks or so, and the game really feels like it could use a bit more polish in a lot areas.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

I hated Destiny and like this a lot.

Still don't know what it is am supposed to be collecting on a certain level. I'm at 7/12 for something but can't find the other 5.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

Will this game be worth playing single player only? I dont have enough free time for multiplayer these days.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@Black96Z:

Wha!? Single player take more time. Multiplayer it however much time you put in!

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Black96Z

@x_karen_x: i have a house full of little kids that need my attention at any given moment. So it is not fair to anyone online if i have to quit in the middle of something.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@Black96Z:

Wii U is the system for this. It have game for many players. Disneyland was a launch game it have many game in it. You can play with your kids but they need wiimote. Mario’s Party is another good one for this. You be surprise it not advise to play game for kids but it can sometime help for disciplining them if use as a reward.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Black96Z

@x_karen_x: my kids are still a little too young. My oldest is about to turn 4. My middle kid just turned 2 three weeks ago. And my youngest was born Dec 6th. And i do have a WiiU.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3021 Posts

Hard pass. From all the streams I've been watching today it just looks boring.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

Absolutely love the combat in anthem. The storm javelin is my favorite. I got used to the flying with mouse and keyboard on PC and eventually learned how to hover. Completed the stronghold and the battle with the giant spider was intense.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Which is better DEstiny 2 or Anthem? Will anthem flop?

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Been watching streams, still very iffy about the moment-to-moment gunplay and reward system. Not really keeping my attention for long, but if the endgame is good, I’ll give it a toss.

Disclaimer: I quite enjoy Destiny 2 post-Forsaken, but all its PVP modes are a shoddy, imbalanced mess.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator

@Black96Z said:

Will this game be worth playing single player only? I dont have enough free time for multiplayer these days.

It's heavy MP focus, but you can play it solo but the core of Anthem is MP. Better off playing single player focus games.

Play Resident Evil 2 Remake instead of Anthem.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Black96Z

@davillain-: Thanks for the response. Just started RE2 last night

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Gameplay is super fluid in this game and haven’t seen a bunch of game breaking issues like I see in Dice games which uses the same engine.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Seen it mentioned in articles and felt it during my time with the demo, gunplay is weak, different weapons didnt stand out. Wish they had more kick/punch or some power to em. Between using assault rifle, lmg and sniper, nothing really stood out except the expected rate of fire/damage.

Overall enjoyed the demo and using the abilities and co-op combos with other players.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Looks like a filler game, where the gamer plays while waiting for a better game.

The game is repetitive and if your playing single and come across a boss fight it's going to be tough.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@watercrack445 said:

Looks like a filler game, where the gamer plays while waiting for a better game.

The game is repetitive and if your playing single and come across a boss fight it's going to be tough.

Every game is repetitive. What you are trying to say is the game is boring.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2139 Posts

Was amazing, when it worked. I have no faith the issues present will be fixed though. If it hasn't gone gold, i expect a short delay.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dreman999

@Syn_Valence: or a day one patch.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#42 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

I enjoyed playing the demo and I look forward to playing the full game where all the story elements and features are enabled. As with other games like Destiny, The Division, Warframe, etc., I will play as much of the content as possible, but I will stop playing it when it becomes a grind and I am repeating content.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@BassMan said:

I enjoyed playing the demo and I look forward to playing the full game where all the story elements and features are enabled. As with other games like Destiny, The Division, Warframe, etc., I will play as much of the content as possible, but I will stop playing it when it becomes a grind and I am repeating content.

So 15 minutes then lol.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7808/46167654264_4d3ac66d13_o.png

Nice.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2065 Posts

I watched a fair bit and for a loot game the loot appeared lack lustre, story could be compelling and maybe it's worth a run through but I fail to see what's going to keep people playing over and over again, I'm not writing the game off but can't say the demo has me hyped.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

From a technical perspective, how much did this game get downgraded. Im talking about comparing todays demo to the one of 2017. That stuff looked exciting, this thing looks like a loot grind and bullet sponge festival. It all looks so uninspired and without a soul.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#47 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I can definitely see what is enticing about Anthem. I made a YouTube video of how poorly it performed for me at first. On Sunday it was better. But like after playing Destiny and DLC and the Division I know I’m not into the looter-shooter.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Looks like a looter shooter in the vein of Destiny and The Division. A horrible, time consuming, repetitive, soulless piece of shit game made to milk people out of money as much as possible, in other words. Feel free to prove me wrong.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@jahnee said:

From a technical perspective, how much did this game get downgraded. Im talking about comparing todays demo to the one of 2017. That stuff looked exciting, this thing looks like a loot grind and bullet sponge festival. It all looks so uninspired and without a soul.

I can at least say, if you have a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, it will look just fine, and you will have to over-analyze the game to see a noticeable difference from what they have shown so far. I only play the Beta on PC and I can tell you know that this isn't like what we saw from the first trailer at E3 2017. The city in Anthem, it wasn't like that in the first trailer at all. Everyone was talking and moving at the same time but from what I did in the beta, it wasn't like that what Bioware/EA showed at E3 2017. The only thing that this Beta got right was the gameplay combat and flying part was the only good part I can give credit for.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dreman999

@Litchie: and? Even warframe and borderlands are like that.

You point just means you don't like looter shooters.