My first RPG Oblivion is aweome

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kurdish-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kurdish-Gamer
Member since 2008 • 802 Posts

I've never played an RPG game before so I ordered Oblivion: Game of the Year Edition for 30 bucks( fo the PS3)and I also borrowed Eternal Sonata from a friend to see the difference between JRPGs and WRPGs and while Eternal Sonata has beautiful visualsthe gameplay was stupidI didn't like it at all( I wonder if all JRPGs are like this) but anyway Oblivionturned out to beamazing andI got it for a great price since GOTYhas a couple DLCs also.

So I'm really into Western RPGs right now, can you guys tell me what other goodWRPGs are out there or coming soon?( I'm not getting Fallout 3 until the GOTY comes out this year cause I heard it'll contain all 5 DLCs) so what is there beside that?

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

I've never played an RPG game before so I ordered Oblivion: Game of the Year Edition for 30 bucks( fo the PS3)and I also borrowed Eternal Sonata from a friend to see the difference between JRPGs and WRPGs and while Eternal Sonata has beautiful visualsthe gameplay was stupidI didn't like it at all( I wonder if all JRPGs are like this) but anyway Oblivionturned out to beamazing andI got it for a great price since GOTYhas a couple DLCs also.

So I'm really into Western RPGs right now, can you guys tell me what other goodWRPGs are out there or coming soon?( I'm not getting Fallout 3 until the GOTY comes out this year cause I heard it'll contain all 5 DLCs) so what is there beside that?

Kurdish-Gamer

To be quick about this, if you want WRPGs buy an Xbox 360.. If you want JRPGs with a WRPG feel buy action RPGs.

Kurdish-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kurdish-Gamer
[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Kurdish-Gamer"]

To be quick about this, if you want WRPGs buy an Xbox 360.. If you want JRPGs with a WRPG feel buy action RPGs.

I won a PS3 though, I can't afford both
big_orc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 big_orc
Member since 2003 • 1158 Posts

Kurdish-Gamer
Oblibion is a horrible RPG, go play mass effect, best WRPG this gen, IMO.
Kurdish-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kurdish-Gamer
I mean I own a PS3
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yandere

I mean I own a PS3Kurdish-Gamer

Search for some action rpgs, if you have a Ps2 or your Ps3 is backwards compatible you will get a larger selection.

Kurdish-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kurdish-Gamer

[QUOTE="Kurdish-Gamer"]I mean I own a PS3Yandere

Search for some action rpgs, if you have a Ps2 or your Ps3 is backwards compatible you will get a larger selection.

So if Action RPGs are similar to WRPGs then you think I would like Final Fantasy XIII
Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

Oblivion also got me into the genre as well.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Kurdish-Gamer"]I mean I own a PS3Kurdish-Gamer

So if Action RPGs are similar to WRPGs then you think I would like Final Fantasy XIII

Well, I don't know too much about Final Fantasy XIIIs combat system (they mostly change it up), but mostly Final Fantasy is turn based.. One great action RPG franchise is Kingdom Hearts for the Ps2.. Demon's Souls an upcoming game for the PS3 is also an action RPG, google search "action rpg" and you will find some.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#10 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
WRPGs are usually quite different from Elder Scrolls. If you want action-oriented JRPGs (I can't think of any other action-WRPGs), try the Tales series (Tales of Legendia, etc.), Kingdom Hearts, and Star Ocean.
Kurdish-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kurdish-Gamer
[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Kurdish-Gamer"][QUOTE="Yandere"]

Well, I don't know too much about Final Fantasy XIIIs combat system (they mostly change it up), but mostly Final Fantasy is turn based.. One great action RPG franchise is Kingdom Hearts for the Ps2.. Demon's Souls an upcoming game for the PS3 is also an action RPG, google search "action rpg" and you will find some.

Yeah I'm looking forward to Demon's Souls , now how is Dragon Age: Origins cause I heard it coming from BioWare?
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
Get a PC if you want decent WRPG
player_leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 player_leo
Member since 2002 • 1483 Posts
If you can, I suggest getting an old Xbox and getting KOTOR and Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind. You can also try out Jade Empire, Shenmue 2, and Fable. Even though they are last gen they are great games, and less expensive than current gen games.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Get a gaming rig, unlimited amount of rpgs
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

your observation about J-rpgs being lame is spot on, yes they are ALL like that. crap turn based combat, same charecters being recycled in every game, being led by the nose through a story that you don't even care about because it's the same story from every other jrpg about a little boy, a chipper girl, a gruff man with a past and a talking animal saving the universe, ugh

btw borrow a friends 360 when you get a chance there is a pile of wrpgs on it (and jrpgs too if you want to try them and not just take my word for it)

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The witcher is nice too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

If you like Oblivion, you will likely like Fallout 3 ^^ But wait to buy it untill later this year, where a version comes out with all the dlc in it.

Dragon age is a tad slower and seen from an over the top view, or birds eye. But it is big, lots of combat, the mechanics are nothing like that of an fps, so I am not sure you will like this one. (Im gonna buy it the sec it reaches the stores tho).

Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts
[QUOTE="Kurdish-Gamer"]

big_orc
Oblibion is a horrible RPG, go play mass effect, best WRPG this gen, IMO.

agreed. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Get your hands on a PC. Doesn't matter if the thing is old or not since most of the good games are the old ones. Do yourself a favor and pick up Diablo 2, Fable (not a pure rpg but still great since it is closer to Elder Scrolls then anything on this list with combat), Witcher (if your computer can run it), Baldur's Gate 2 (I can't stress enough to read the manual), and Deus Ex (this mixes shooter and rpg in a way almost no other game can top). That should give you a good mix of what the WRPG genre has to offer.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

Kurdish-Gamer

If you've got a PS3, not much.
All of the great WRPGs are on the PC, but there are some decent ones coming out for the PS3 in the next few years.
Keep an eye out for Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas (by Obsidian), Risen (from the devs of the Gothic series), and...maybe Dragon Age, although I personally don't think that'll be all that good.

Oh, and slightly off-topic, but My First RPG: Oblivion couldn't be a more accurate title for the game. :P

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
Yeah, PS3 is lacking in wRPGs. PC is the way to go if that's what you're in to.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Oblivion is a terrible RPG. If that's the only RPG you like, you probably don't like RPGs.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

There really aren't any PS3 games like Oblivion. It should get its own genre.

Lemmywinks_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lemmywinks_360
Member since 2007 • 1996 Posts

If you have even a decent pc get these games.

• The witcher
  • Mass effect
  • morrowind
  • baldurs gate 1/2
  • fallout 1/2
  • planetscape:torment

These are all incredible wrps, and will show you what an rpg really is(not that garbage that is oblivon)

Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

I love RPGs, but Oblivion sucked to me.

Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts

http://www.oscurogamedesign.com/oscurosoblivionoverhaul-down-high.html

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts

Thats a pretty bad comparsion of games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

If you think you like RPG's now, you might be in for a sore surprise when you start playing real role-playing games... not an action-adventure masquerading as a RPG. If you want a real role-playing game, go to GOG.com and get Fallout, or find a copy of Baldur's Gate II or Planescape: Torment.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30573 Posts

Oblivion is my favourite RPG this gen Followed by Masseffect anf Fallout3

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Yandere

your observation about J-rpgs being lame is spot on, yes they are ALL like that. crap turn based combat, same charecters being recycled in every game, being led by the nose through a story that you don't even care about because it's the same story from every other jrpg about a little boy, a chipper girl, a gruff man with a past and a talking animal saving the universe, ugh

btw borrow a friends 360 when you get a chance there is a pile of wrpgs on it (and jrpgs too if you want to try them and not just take my word for it)

Riverwolf007

Wow, your view on JRPGs is so **** wrong I don't know where to start.. First things first, if they're ALL like that.. Find every JRPG and give me examples that support your claim, since I will go and list a few right now that goes against it: Demon's Souls (Action RPG), Knights in the Nightmare (Tactical RPG, Bullet Hell mix), there are others that don't use turn based/have the description that you provided but finding/listing them all would be too much of a hassle. P.S. The examples listed don't have a little boy, chipper girl, gruff man, no talking animal, no saving the universe, and aren't turn based.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts
oblivion is a very good game to introduce people to RPGs. its not very harsh and its mechanics arent hugely complex. so the question now TC is do you just want more oblivion or do you want RPGs with a bit more meat to them? also would you be happy to play 2d games that involve alot of reading? if your just looking for more oblivion type RPGs then fallout 3 (which i believe is on the PS3) is well worth playing. morrowind (oblivions predecessor) is also good (itll run on very old PCs). its not a looker and its more complex than oblivion but its not a huge leap. deus ex 1 (pc version....i dont think the PS2 port was as good as it should have been) is also a very good game (best game ever imho) and is about as complex as morrowind. its 10 quid on steam i believe. again its not a looker (its based on unreal 1 and was released in 2000) but its a really deep, immersive and fantastic game. theres also the interplay holy trinity. planescape torment, the baldurs gate series and fallout 1 and 2. first a health warning. these games are hard, they are in 2d and look pretty pretty old (there all pre 2000 i think) and they require alot of reading (the games dont have tons of voice overs). but they are absolutely outstanding games...timeless classics. never winter nights 1 and 2 and their expansions are also very good + theres loads of free advantures made by other player available. NWN1 will run on a pocket calculator but NWN2 does require a fair bit of grunt in your PC. if you can play NWN2 then the witcher is also well worth a look. the gameplay isnt as deep or complex baldurs gate but it has an excellent story, characters and setting and is a very enjoyable game. on the Ps3 front, besides fallout3....i dont really know if there is much coming. is mass effect 2 coming? if it is then thatll be well worth a play. i wouldnt worry too much if you havent played ME1. im sure the game will have a "previously on mass effect" section and if not...well the internet will have that section :P. if your PC can run ME then thats also a goodun. i think dragon age is coming to the PS3 at the end of the year....so thats another one to keep an eye on.
mike_on_mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 mike_on_mic
Member since 2004 • 886 Posts
Get a PC if you want decent WRPGJuggernaut140
Uggernaut140 what great WRPG are on the PC that aren't on a console. Yes, in my opinion if you have a 360 the best JRPG is Lost Odyssey, PS2, had so many JRPGs then you add the PS1 stuff. PS3 it is growing, slowly and it will hit its stride in a year or so, the release of FFXIII will certainly start a lot to come out. WRPG, Oblivion, Mass Effect, if you go before that and look at the XBOX, KOTOR and KOTOR 2, Elder Scrolls 3 (I forget the name). all prime examples of good WRPGs. But right now, a lot of the good ones are cheap as they have been out a while. Fabel II, haven't played and is possibly more action oriented but then again, 360 only and has RPG elements and they like to classify this, but anyone who has played, could you call it an RPG?
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

[QUOTE="mike_on_mic"]what great WRPG are on the PC that aren't on a console.xDimMaK

All of them.

Pretty much :lol:
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Kurdish-Gamer
Buy a rubbish PC and Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape Torment, KOTOR 1 & 2, Baldurs Gate collection and DIablo 2. Then upgrade it and buy The Witcher.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Oblivion is an action-RPG, and if you want the best experience you should play it on PC (mods :P).

Fallout 3 is a good action-RPG as well, so is Mass Effect. If you want a good WRPG get The Witcher.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

oblivion should've been called "My first RPG" instead.

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

Get a PC if you want decent WRPGJuggernaut140

that's not always true,I think Demon's Souls destroys 80% of the Newer WRPGs that have been coming out on the PC.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

both of those games are EXCELLENT representatives of their genre...;)

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
I am sorry but you started out with a bad example of a RPG.
Avatar image for Ryusuke_Akihiro
Ryusuke_Akihiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ryusuke_Akihiro
Member since 2007 • 425 Posts

Kurdish-Gamer

Dragon Age and Arcania. Coming out for PS3 as well as the 360. Can't wait for them myself. :)