My Day Ruined: System Shock 3 development put on hold. Original team no longer working.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Things are not looking good for System Shock 3. According to a former developer, the original team responsible for this third part is no longer working on it. Therefore, we can safely assume that we won’t be playing this immersive sim game anytime soon.

As RPGCodex member ‘Kin Corn Karn‘, a former developer of System Shock 3, said:

“The only reason I’m posting is because I saw so much confusion about the state of the company and the project. I thought some first person information would be welcome. I never suggested we were halfway done, core systems are a great foundation for a game but most of the work is content development which we were critically behind in, both in real assets and in tool support for an efficient pipeline.”

According to the former developer, the System Shock 3 would be able to offer something interesting with some fresh and innovative gameplay. That is of course if Starbreeze hadn’t gone into a crisis.

“Those high expectations drove a lot of expensive experimentation. We were a small team and knew we couldn’t compete with current immersive sims in production quality and breadth. So, we had to be creative and clever and weird. And we were on our way to make something unique and possibly fun, but probably not what the audience was hungry for.”

What’s also interesting to note is that everyone on the content side is no longer with the studio.

But what about that in-engine trailer that Otherside released a while back? According to the developer, the in-game scenes showed real gameplay. And while SS3 had its main core systems, it did not have enough content.

Otherside has not issued any official update about the game’s development!

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-system-shock-3-team-is-no-longer-working-on-the-project-according-to-former-developer/

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

Well that is disappointing. At least I got my fix with Prey.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17799 Posts

It was actually looking really good unlike the System Shock remake. I would gladly donate to the project if they started a crowdfunding campaign.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Quick someone do a wellness check on casual4ever

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

Honestly I love System Shock 2 but I have no interest in a sequel.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

Its kinda sad that this game was announced in 2015. And the team is too small indie for ambitious immersive sim like that. You just need bigger budget.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts
@BassMan said:

It was actually looking really good unlike the System Shock remake. I would gladly donate to the project if they started a crowdfunding campaign.

Same here, was really excited for System Shock 3. While the remake for the original System Shock looked like it was firmly stuck in the past, I had no intention of playing it.

At least we'll get a new Bioshock in 5 years :P

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

Was this the one Warren Spector was involved in?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

Go play Bioshock: Infinite and bam, you got System Shock 3 for ya lol.

All jest aside, this is indeed sad news and not I had no idea System Shock 3 is on-hold until further notice. But in another way, several months ago, I read that Warren Spector find it hard to balance violence for System Shock 3 and System Shock is not about violence the way most games are, it's about experiments, survival/body horror. Like BassMan said, if there's any crowdfunding, I'm all in for donation.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

@zmanbarzel said:

Was this the one Warren Spector was involved in?

Are you referring to his stance on violence for System Shock then yes. Warren Spector is involve making System Shock 3.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

They weren't happy with how things were shaping up and decided to kill it instead of releasing something that would let down fans.

I can respect that

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

@doomnukem3d said:

Honestly I love System Shock 2 but I have no interest in a sequel.

Ditto.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

This really sucks for fans. People seemed hyped about this game.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Valve should hire Warren Spector for their next VR game. That would be a perfect fit.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

Wow and I thought that System Shock remake has problems but I never thought that it would be worse for System Shock 3. Sad really.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58273 Posts

Hmm. Sounds like mismanagement; had a bunch of chiefs who came up with some cool concepts and a foundation for the game, but when it came down to the grunt work there were not enough indians.

While I would have played it, System Shock 3 was not exactly a game I had on my radar.

Still, it's a shame. Would have been a nice return to a sub-genre that doesn't get enough games.