• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If the singleplayer is good, I'll buy it. I'm easily pleased. Heck, I liked Crysis 2's "crappy" campaign and everyone said it's similar to the CoD campaigns.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#102 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

One thing I can't understand, is how Call of Duty 4 is one of the most celebrated games on any platform. PC gamers loved it, Xbox gamers loved it and PS3 gamers loved it. On metacritic, its in the high 8's on user reviews (which is a feat consider most games are in the 7's or below), and it was the game that kicked off a modern warfare craze in FPS games and had sequels with amazing success.

Now, people complain that its too much like that amazing game they once gave high scores to. It has its issues, but there is nothing deal breaking and in the end its just one of the sequels to a game everyone and their mother loved, but you wouldn't know that on the internet. I also didn't realize dedicated servers was such a gigantic dealbreaker when the matchmaking works fine, but whatever.

I guess if they bring back dedicated servers, improve the engine (or change it) and add some new mechanics it can go back to the glory days of CoD4 and internet love.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#106 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

One thing I can't understand, is how Call of Duty 4 is one of the most celebrated games on any platform. PC gamers loved it, Xbox gamers loved it and PS3 gamers loved it. On metacritic, its in the high 8's on user reviews (which is a feat consider most games are in the 7's or below), and it was the game that kicked off a modern warfare craze in FPS games and had sequels with amazing success.

Now, people complain that its too much like that amazing game they once gave high scores to. It has its issues, but there is nothing deal breaking and in the end its just one of the sequels to a game everyone and their mother loved, but you wouldn't know that on the internet. I also didn't realize dedicated servers was such a gigantic dealbreaker when the matchmaking works fine, but whatever.

I guess if they bring back dedicated servers, improve the engine (or change it) and add some new mechanics it can go back to the glory days of CoD4 and internet love.

SPYDER0416

Brudda, keep bringing the sense you do :lol:. I've been saying left and right that MW3 is the true sequel to COD4. It' like the best COD this gen.

I truly believe that if it had a brand new engine, many people would lay off. MW3 with Killzone 3 or BF3 graphics. Done.

Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
WithoutGraceXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 WithoutGraceXII
Member since 2007 • 1797 Posts
Thread title: MW3 is fun. My response: agreed.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#108 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

After playing the game for a little while now, I've come to the conclusion that I hate it. Everything about it is good except the maps, which ruin EVERYTHING. I feel like I'm playing Wolfenstein 3D. Everything is so close in, so many divergent paths... where are the chokepoints, the mix of close-range and far-range combat? At any point at any time there could be someone coming up on you from all sorts of different paths and you'd never know it.

I didn't think they could possibly do any worse than Blops maps, but there you have it. I probably have over 500 hours in MW2, so I enjoy the gameplay... just not.. this. I think I'm just going back to my other CoDs now :)

Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

Thats the whole point of those games

Avatar image for heeeeeeeeeweeee
heeeeeeeeeweeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 heeeeeeeeeweeee
Member since 2011 • 2083 Posts
Does mw3 have bots you can play offline against? Like black ops?
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

SPYDER0416
MatchMaking is not ok. Its functional, but its terrible compared to dedicated servers. Its ok on consoles, but not on PC. As for how COD4 is still popular while the others aren't: There is too much of a good thing. That and MW2 was a terrible game online. MM and over powered weapons and killstreaks.
heeeeeeeeeweeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 heeeeeeeeeweeee
My friend is a super casual dude he didnt care about video games untill one of his friends sold him his used 360 and black ops for cheap.Now he plays call of duty all the time and acts like he's some fps pro now. LOL
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#113 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Iantheone

MatchMaking is not ok. Its functional, but its terrible compared to dedicated servers. Its ok on consoles, but not on PC. As for how COD4 is still popular while the others aren't: There is too much of a good thing. That and MW2 was a terrible game online. MM and over powered weapons and killstreaks.

As far as I know, dedicated servers returned in MW3, and the issues I'm hearing for MW3 are mainly

1. Its too much like MW2

2. Its too unbalanced

3. Needs a new engine

4. Dedicated servers are a joke (since its unranked only)

Honestly, it doesn't seem like these break the game in a way that the user score would do a 180 from CoD4. At the same time, I'd like to think maybe the next Call of Duty will heed all this, maybe they'll give us a new engine with full dedicated server support (consoles too hopefully) and add some balance and new mechanics.

Sadly, at this point 80% of the haters don't even touch Call of Duty to bash it. They do it because they just want to jump on the hate train, or because they're BF fanboys or PC gamers with a chip on their shoulders (though some people just do it because they think its overrated, which is still a dumb reason to poop on it instead of intelligently discussing its issues and why they think that). MW4 could be a perfectly balanced masterpiece, with everything we've ever wanted, a 12 hour campaign with amazing AI and story and Crysis like open environments, 4 player co-op, bots, balance, a new engine and servers and scores in the high 90's with millions more sold and people would still poop on it without the authority to do so.

But, its the internet, and IW doesn't need me to defend them. I just have some love for the series and hate seeing people trash it over some mishaps when I personally have a lot of hope for the future, given the team can hold up to old IW's standards in the future. And truthfully, I'm not expecting a massive change in the series until at least the next generation, since CoD4 kind of exploded because it came out so early in this generation and impressed everyone.

I'm not saying the game doesn't have issues and that I'm blindly following it, but if the dissenters are a bunch of whiny fanboys who scream their hatred for the series without touching it, I think IW will be a LOT less willing to listen to them, especially when the current path is netting them more profits with each iteration. If you want IW to listen to your complaints, you shouldn't voice them like a moron would.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

My friend is a super casual dude he didnt care about video games untill one of his friends sold him his used 360 and black ops for cheap.Now he plays call of duty all the time and acts like he's some fps pro now. LOLheeeeeeeeeweeee

He might be?..it dont take long to become quite good at fps if you put the time in..bravo to him!

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

It's really repetitive to me. I have nothing against MWF in particular it's more the entire first person shooter genre. Modern Warfare is probably the most fun of hte bunch but it still is a really repetitive first person shooter.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 VanDammFan

It's really repetitive to me. I have nothing against MWF in particular it's more the entire first person shooter genre. Modern Warfare is probably the most fun of hte bunch but it still is a really repetitive first person shooter.

Celtic_34

Ive yet to play a game that isnt repetitive..honestly...ive been gaming since 1980. Still when you are hooked on something, its never old...ive been there..:)

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

[QUOTE="Celtic_34"]

VanDammFan

Ive yet to play a game that isnt repetitive..honestly...ive been gaming since 1980. Still when you are hooked on something, its never old...ive been there..:)

This is why I prefer more story driven games which is a lost art in ways these days.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I think more people would give it a chance if they made a new engine. I REALLY hope they do with their next game. Resources are definitely there in the form of money. Activision just may not give them the time to do it :( (not IW's fault). I admit, I'm big on graphics (not a deciding factor though). It's one of the reasons I love the Killzone and Gears series.

TREAL_Since

I'd imagine developing a new engine for this gen of consoles that runs at 60 FPS at this point in their lifetime is quite the task. MW3 definitely resembles its predecessors graphically, but it looks good in its own right, and I'd challenge you to find me a game with better reload animations.

heeeeeeeeeweeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 heeeeeeeeeweeee

[QUOTE="heeeeeeeeeweeee"]My friend is a super casual dude he didnt care about video games untill one of his friends sold him his used 360 and black ops for cheap.Now he plays call of duty all the time and acts like he's some fps pro now. LOLVanDammFan

He might be?..it dont take long to become quite good at fps if you put the time in..bravo to him!

He hasnt played quake obviously.
Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

After about 12 hours of playtime I can say it isn't. I might just trade it in so my friends stop hounding me to play that garbage. Worst maps, worst spawns, lag is unbearable.

heeeeeeeeeweeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 heeeeeeeeeweeee
He was trying to tell me about fps like he's some vet just from playing black ops lol he was acting like call of duty is the most skill based first person shooter i was sitting here thinking to myself you goddamn fool.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

For the $10 I spent on it? Yeah, great game. Even better when you own people who are far more progressed than you are and hearing them rage into their mics.

Easy game is.. well.. easy.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wow. I really can't believe this is a retail game. I know it gets a lot of hate, but really, it looks, plays, and feels exactly like the last game. I want to say the mp maps worse than before.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I'm having heaps of fun with it. I love split screen online with Kill Confirmed.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#126 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

it's not hated because it's popular, but rather, because it was a minimal effort- PoS of a copy and paste job

just look over to battlefield 3, the quality differences are substantial, bf 3 outdoes mw 3 on every level imaginable.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

i think this pic would go well here :P

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

After about 12 hours of playtime I can say it isn't. I might just trade it in so my friends stop hounding me to play that garbage. Worst maps, worst spawns, lag is unbearable.

Grawse

maps were a deal breaker for me. Seriously all of them are ass. I went back to cod4 lately and had a few fun rounds.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

There's a difference between a "difference of opinion" and "making stuff up".

subrosian

Yes indeed...

95% of people who are postiong about MW3 haven't played the game, they're copy-pasting things others have said which verify the opinion they've already decided to have about the game. Somehow the top-selling, most-played FPS games in existence is "garbage", "rehash", "hacked to death", "horrible bad", etc... because it's mainstream and because it's ACTIVISION people take utterly cheap shots at it.

subrosian

"Nah bro, nah, because people who play them are idiots".

Right on. I prefer my opinions to come from brains that are functioning.

subrosian

So in short you're feeling like people are allowed to enjoy the game without being insulted? I agree, but then you had to put that second sentence in there. Now I'm all for your main point Subrosian, but has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, quite a lot of people have played it and were disappointed with it? I don't see anything wrong with that either, and neither do I see a reason for insulting them. I mean, you're not exactly making it better.

That said, I haven't played MW3.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 StealthSting

For those complaining about lack of innovation well it's a problem in the genre as a whole. The fps genre hasn't progressed much at all in the last 3 or 4 years. Actually I'm just not sure it can anymore. It seems everything possible has been done.screamingdoom

Maybe it hasn't "progressed" per se, but I've played a bunch of shooters that gave me unique experiences this gen.

And the genre can't progress anymore? Do you really think that? I feel that there is so much room for innovation in the genre that it's almost staggering. We're talking about a genre here that is highly flexible.

screamingdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 screamingdoom
Member since 2007 • 884 Posts

[QUOTE="screamingdoom"]For those complaining about lack of innovation well it's a problem in the genre as a whole. The fps genre hasn't progressed much at all in the last 3 or 4 years. Actually I'm just not sure it can anymore. It seems everything possible has been done.StealthSting

Maybe it hasn't "progressed" per se, but I've played a bunch of shooters that gave me unique experiences this gen.

And the genre can't progress anymore? Do you really think that? I feel that there is so much room for innovation in the genre that it's almost staggering. We're talking about a genre here that is highly flexible.

Yes I do really believe that, I can't envision here it can really go from where it is. I've played the majority of them and I don't know what can be done to them to make them fresh again. If you have some ideas I'm prepared to change my opinion.
screamingdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 screamingdoom
Member since 2007 • 884 Posts
For those complaining about lack of innovation well it's a problem in the genre as a whole. The fps genre hasn't progressed much at all in the last 3 or 4 years. Actually I'm just not sure it can anymore. It seems everything possible has been done.screamingdoom

[QUOTE="screamingdoom"]For those complaining about lack of innovation well it's a problem in the genre as a whole. The fps genre hasn't progressed much at all in the last 3 or 4 years. Actually I'm just not sure it can anymore. It seems everything possible has been done.subrosian

ELITE is the future of the FPS industry. Both Bungie and Blizzard are working on subscription-driven FPS titles. There is a PC FPS-MMO coming out next year which is a hotly anticipated free-to-play game. Moving the FPS to an MMO is an inevitable extension of more-and-more people putting time into persistant characters.

Once that happens, we're going to see huge changes in the FPS market because these FPS companies will be competing based on the end-game experience, so they will need some "hook" that happens once your character is geared out. FPS equivalents to raids? Massive boss battles? PVP battlegrounds and a global war? It's entirely possible, and titles like EVE's new FPS are hinting at the larger possibilities.

You're probably right, but for me that future doesn't really interest me. But I can appreciate that it would be something pretty special for those who like this type of. thing
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#133 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
the horde mode needs 4 players not two.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

the horde mode needs 4 players not two.racing1750

god yes...half the reason i've only toyed with it once or twice.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 VanDammFan

[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

[QUOTE="heeeeeeeeeweeee"]My friend is a super casual dude he didnt care about video games untill one of his friends sold him his used 360 and black ops for cheap.Now he plays call of duty all the time and acts like he's some fps pro now. LOLheeeeeeeeeweeee

Ive played a little quake back in the day..same as UT..and "to me" about the same as any other shooter ive played,except with more jumping..good games though.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 VanDammFan

[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

[QUOTE="heeeeeeeeeweeee"]My friend is a super casual dude he didnt care about video games untill one of his friends sold him his used 360 and black ops for cheap.Now he plays call of duty all the time and acts like he's some fps pro now. LOLheeeeeeeeeweeee

Ive played a little quake back in the day..same as UT..and "to me" about the same as any other shooter ive played,except with more jumping..good games though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

i think this pic would go well here :P

wis3boi

That sums up what is wrong with these hipster people hating on casuals.

lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#138 lorddaggeroff
Member since 2008 • 2433 Posts

I love shooting down jets in battlefield 3 seriously lol, i had blast was in chopper repairing it, and something went wrong gun fire governing the sky's i ripped out my rocket launcher tried target tank, pilot heard my rocket straff from side chopper then bang we were going down, "mayday mayday" we are going down.

I suddenly grab repair tool repairing like nut then pilot slowly eases on stick and recovers chopper but with massive shock we landed "black hawke down style" right on runway lol, then stupid mig pilot was so cocky assuming clearance was easy make KABOOM choppers doing break dance on runway i jump out and a enemy jet crashes kamakazi style: "wtf" right at mig and chopper slams glitching towards rock what moment. wish i had fraps running what rare moment.

Oh oh sorry we are talking about cod ay oh yeah yippi run through corridors til either person dies, yeah yippi :roll:

nousername66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#139 nousername66
Member since 2011 • 146 Posts

It was fun the first time I played it in 2007

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#140 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

Grawse

Indeed. Glad I just rented it.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 StealthSting

[QUOTE="StealthSting"]

[QUOTE="screamingdoom"]For those complaining about lack of innovation well it's a problem in the genre as a whole. The fps genre hasn't progressed much at all in the last 3 or 4 years. Actually I'm just not sure it can anymore. It seems everything possible has been done.screamingdoom

Yes I do really believe that, I can't envision here it can really go from where it is. I've played the majority of them and I don't know what can be done to them to make them fresh again. If you have some ideas I'm prepared to change my opinion.

Well I did feel that something like Stalker was a fresh experience for me, but I guess that's opinion. As for ideas, sure I actually do have some and I'm sure that if I put the time into it I would have much more--that said, I won't be talking about stuff like that, I'm not really in the mood to write an essay right now XD. In terms of progression though?

Hell, just advances in AI to a level much more advanced than we have now can change a lot in the gameplay department. Just the right changes in this department, huddled with the right use of level design, or even destruction in the levels, can change significantly the way you engage your enemies in an FPS to begin with. Sure, the genre can benifit a lot from new ideas, but I also feel that just hardware progression is enough to make a lot of interesting things in the genre not seen before.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#142 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Obligatory MW sucks comment, Subrosian.