• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by subrosian (14232 posts) -

Please stop the arbitrary hatred of MW3.

Yes, it's "popular".

Yes, lots of college guys, jocks, regular people and other "non-nerds" play it.

Yes, there are people who play MW3 who have never heard of Penny-Arcade and don't read review scores.

-

It's actually a fun game though. It has a polished, shiny campaign mode. It has a great co-op mode and solid multiplayer. It fixes many of the issues in MW2 and has the industry's first console subscriber FPS model, akin to GOSU TV for Starcraft. It's in many ways a title that besides leading the FPS genre, is trialing things that could completely change how FPS games are sold / function.

-

Yes, I know, I know, it has committed the grand awful sin of being "popular" which means "hate on it because it's just a MW2 clone greedy Activision"... but you might actually want to play it with an open mind first. If you can't have fun playing MW3, you have become extremely cynical and jaded... and that's coming from the most cynical and jaded person in System War's history.

#2 Posted by Ironbash (1132 posts) -
Have "fun" playing what will be a totally hacked game
#3 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

its fun until the people you listed get involved when your in a lobby online...dear frat idiot i dont care if you think i live in a farm cause im from Scotland and that i sound like William Wallace its not funny the first time nor this time.

Private matches are fun but tbh i dont feel its as good when your in matchmaking sometimes,HC SnD has a few Snafu's like idiots who decide to tk.

#4 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
Ive played the same game twice already. I have no real interest in buying a $60 that will become unplayable since I never buy DLC.
#5 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

Ive played the same game twice already. I have no real interest in buying a $60 that will become unplayable since I never buy DLC. Iantheone

doesnt become unplayable if you dont buy DLC :S it just puts you in lobbies that dont have the packs in game rotation or kick you to another lobby if it does.

#6 Posted by subrosian (14232 posts) -

I do what I do with every other LIVE game: I plug in my headset, turn the volume as low as it goes, and then leave it sitting on the floor plugged into the controller. There is no online game where you want to listen to general chat / trade chat / lobby chat, that's no reason to fault MW3.

The game itself? Seriously fun. I mean, just straight-up fun.

#7 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35604 posts) -

First Skyward Sword's score and now Subrosian screwing with SW?

SW sure is interesting lately.

#8 Posted by Valiant_Rebel (4197 posts) -

I don't hate it, I'm just indifferent to it. It's not really my kind of game or a game I just HAVE to play. Popularity has nothing to do with it. It could be a niche game and I would still feel the same way.

#9 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

I do what I do with every other LIVE game: I plug in my headset, turn the volume as low as it goes, and then leave it sitting on the floor plugged into the controller. There is no online game where you want to listen to general chat / trade chat / lobby chat, that's no reason to fault MW3.

The game itself? Seriously fun. I mean, just straight-up fun.

subrosian

how not, annoying player base can be problematic ESPECIALLY in team games like SnD where party chat is disabled an your on a team with the idiotic kid spamming noob tubes and shoting omg hacker cause he got killed, and the frat boy trying to rip on you for your nationality and all you want to do is actually play the game right.

yup that sounds perfectly reassonable that i should throw off my mic in SnD.

#10 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -

[QUOTE="Iantheone"]Ive played the same game twice already. I have no real interest in buying a $60 that will become unplayable since I never buy DLC. razgriz_101

doesnt become unplayable if you dont buy DLC :S it just puts you in lobbies that dont have the packs in game rotation or kick you to another lobby if it does.

I can't get into a game of MW2 anymore =/ Not unless I want to wait around for half an hour.
#11 Posted by Peredith (2289 posts) -

OP hates on Zelda Skyward Sword for being "Ocarina Of Time 9", yet say MW3 is fun and shouldn't be hated on :lol: despite it being released every year with recycled assets and gameplay :lol:

#12 Posted by subrosian (14232 posts) -

Ive played the same game twice already. I have no real interest in buying a $60 that will become unplayable since I never buy DLC. Iantheone

I never thought I'd defend a Call of Duty, but this IS NOT MW1 or MW2. MW1 and MW2 have some seriously fundamental balance issue that drive you up a wall, because in a lot of ways even in casual "i'm a baddie" games like I play, you can't just run in there and do what you want. You have to get that kill streak, you *have* to make sure you're not feeding that guy kills who is going for some helicopter / straffing plane run / nuke.

In MW3, the killstreaks have been nerfed, they offer new killstreak options that persist through death (support) which counter the assault killstreaks, and the perks are balanced so that they focus more on gameplay than on "if you don't have X perk, you literally cannot compete as it affects gun damage in a major way".

Those are big issues that impact players like myself who are not primarily FPS players anymore. Like, I cannot play Bad Company 2, because there is a bullet damage perk that is absolutely vital to being competitive, but I don't want to sink in the time to level to the point where I unlock that perk. The ****I want to play is inaccessible without sinking in 300 hundred into the game... and yet in MW3 its accessible in the first few hours.

#13 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

OP hates on Zelda Skyward Sword for being "Ocarina Of Time 9", yet say MW3 is fun and shouldn't be hated on :lol: despite it being released every year with recycled assets and gameplay :lol:

Peredith

its ironic he compared this place to /v/ and actually acting like one of them pot has definately called the kettle black with tc.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
#14 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -
I agree. The campaign was good and Spec Ops is a blast. The competitive multiplayer is just stupid garbage designed for noobs and kids, but it's been that way every year.
#15 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -

[QUOTE="Iantheone"]Ive played the same game twice already. I have no real interest in buying a $60 that will become unplayable since I never buy DLC. subrosian

I never thought I'd defend a Call of Duty, but this IS NOT MW1 or MW2. MW1 and MW2 have some seriously fundamental balance issue that drive you up a wall, because in a lot of ways even in casual "i'm a baddie" games like I play, you can't just run in there and do what you want. You have to get that kill streak, you *have* to make sure you're not feeding that guy kills who is going for some helicopter / straffing plane run / nuke.

In MW3, the killstreaks have been nerfed, they offer new killstreak options that persist through death (support) which counter the assault killstreaks, and the perks are balanced so that they focus more on gameplay than on "if you don't have X perk, you literally cannot compete as it affects gun damage in a major way".

Those are big issues that impact players like myself who are not primarily FPS players anymore. Like, I cannot play Bad Company 2, because there is a bullet damage perk that is absolutely vital to being competitive, but I don't want to sink in the time to level to the point where I unlock that perk. The ****I want to play is inaccessible without sinking in 300 hundred into the game... and yet in MW3 its accessible in the first few hours.

I really don't care. Aside from COD4 there is very little that they have added or changed to make it appealing to me. I bought MW2 and have played tons of WaW and BO on my friends 360 and yes, I had a lot of fun. Put in about 200 hours into MW2 and have the stats to back it up. Everything I have seen of the game just seems like all the others. The changes, the balances really don't matter when the core experience is the same. I've played enough COD and now have moved onto better things.

#16 Posted by subrosian (14232 posts) -

Peredith

No one is denying that MW3 is Modern Warfare 2012, what people are completely missing in their outright dismissal of the game are two important facts:

1. The game is actually good

2. ELITE is potentially changing the FPS model for the industry.

-

ELITE has had such a huge response that the registration server keeps going down. They are giving people 30 days of ELITE free because they simply cannot process the *payments fast enough*. The subscriber model for FPS games has a major impact on the future of the FPS industry. Look at what WoW has done to MMOs, ever other MMO has gone free-to-play because they can't compete. Rift was selling for $4.99 with a year subscription for $50 the other day.

The top franchise in the world combined with the top RPG dev for that franchise have been working for years to create something that can challenge WoW (SWTOR) to create the first real threat to the game in 7 years. Will ELITE put Call of Duty in that position? It's an actual possibility, because of how a subscriber model works, and how it hits every other game in the industry when the primary audience is "sub'd" to a competing game.

-

That is far, far more important for people to be aware of and have an intelligent discussion about. Dismissing MW3 is dismissing potentially the biggest move Activision has made in a long time, and one that has a long reach on our gaming habits.

#17 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

thing is Ninty wouldnt whore out Zelda every year.

what point are you trying to make willis it doesnt compute.

#18 Posted by DethSkematik (3900 posts) -
I don't really face most of the complaints people list because I'm only playing deathmatch or team deathmatch most of the time :P. Still, if we all hated every game that gets popular, then we'd have a pretty small library to choose from. I mean, I'm stoked that my hobby's gotten a lot more popular, and sometimes bummed because it results in games going in some wild directions, but I don't think it's wise to tip our noses at games because it's loved by the masses (because most of them are really that good...I mean, even casuals dig the GTA series. Are you telling me that GTA sucks? :P).
#19 Posted by BibiMaghoo (4018 posts) -
and has the industry's first console subscriber FPS model,subrosian
You say that TC as if it is a good thing? I fail to see how it is unless you enjoy throwing money away for a service others provide for free, and ones that actually work for free I may add. I have yet to meet a single person that thinks paying a sub for COD features is a good thing, more so for those who pay an xbox live sub allready.
#20 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
It fixes many of the issues in MW2subrosian
A patch could have done that. You paid $60 for a patch.
If you can't have fun playing MW3, you have become extremely cynical and jaded...subrosian
:| I wanted to break my TV when playing MW2, people just spamming noobtube, spawn camping, regular camping etc made me so infuriated. Even if they have fixed this stuff, I'm not paying $60 for a patch. And I'm sure there will be other ways MW3 would make me want to break something.
#21 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
[QUOTE="subrosian"] and has the industry's first console subscriber FPS model,BibiMaghoo
You say that TC as if it is a good thing? I fail to see how it is unless you enjoy throwing money away for a service others provide for free, and ones that actually work for free I may add. I have yet to meet a single person that thinks paying a sub for COD features is a good thing, more so for those who pay an xbox live sub allready.

I would say that most of the people playing COD didn't pay for the game, don't pay for DLC and don't pay for ELITE. Their parents do. That's why Activision can charge such outrageous amounts.
#22 Posted by tommyas (2595 posts) -

Please stop the arbitrary hatred of MW3.

Yes, it's "popular".

Yes, lots of college guys, jocks, regular people and other "non-nerds" play it.

Yes, there are people who play MW3 who have never heard of Penny-Arcade and don't read review scores.

-

It's actually a fun game though. It has a polished, shiny campaign mode. It has a great co-op mode and solid multiplayer. It fixes many of the issues in MW2 and has the industry's first console subscriber FPS model, akin to GOSU TV for Starcraft. It's in many ways a title that besides leading the FPS genre, is trialing things that could completely change how FPS games are sold / function.

-

Yes, I know, I know, it has committed the grand awful sin of being "popular" which means "hate on it because it's just a MW2 clone greedy Activision"... but you might actually want to play it with an open mind first. If you can't have fun playing MW3, you have become extremely cynical and jaded... and that's coming from the most cynical and jaded person in System War's history.

subrosian
Well enjoy. I played previous three CoDs and have zero interest in MW3.
#23 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

Fun is subjective.

#24 Posted by landofcookies (454 posts) -

Fun is subjective.

DraugenCP

Fun is what best describes the CoD series since MW1.

#25 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Fun is subjective.

landofcookies

Good for you.

#26 Posted by landofcookies (454 posts) -

[QUOTE="landofcookies"]

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Fun is subjective.

DraugenCP

Good for you.

That would apply to about 30 million gamers.

#27 Posted by racing1750 (14567 posts) -
I agree. The campaign was good and Spec Ops is a blast. The competitive multiplayer is just stupid garbage designed for noobs and kids, but it's been that way every year.Master_ShakeXXX
COD4 is the best of the cods. Sure there is the noob tube but apart from that the MP takes skill to master and you'll get dominated if you're a crap player :P
#28 Posted by Jebus213 (10056 posts) -

P2P matchmaking is not fun. It ruins the whole game.

#29 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
[QUOTE="racing1750"] COD4 is the best of the cods. Sure there is the noob tube but apart from that the MP takes skill to master and you'll get dominated if you're a crap player :P

WAsn't much of it on PC. Most servers had stuff like that banned. Martyrdom as well
#30 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25508 posts) -
Yeah, how fun. :roll: Sorry, no.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#31 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (45297 posts) -
Who are you and what have you done with subrosian.
#32 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

[QUOTE="landofcookies"]

landofcookies

Good for you.

And it still wouldn't change my point: subjectivity doesn't change after a certain threshold of people.

#33 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

[QUOTE="landofcookies"]

landofcookies

Good for you.

because that many bought it doesnt mean that many enjoyed it.

I bought MW2 for example and detest the game more than any other, so there goes a hole in your b-b-b-ut retort.

#34 Posted by King_Dodongo (3759 posts) -
You didn't like Skyward Sword? WTF man.
#35 Posted by landofcookies (454 posts) -

[QUOTE="landofcookies"]

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Good for you.

razgriz_101

I bought MW2 for example and detest the game more than any other, so there goes a hole in your b-b-b-ut retort.

Do you detest it because you got killed by the nuke many times?

#36 Posted by el3m2tigre (4232 posts) -

I simply can't have fun playing this game knowing how similiar it is to it's predecessor. The only significant changes i've noticed was the gameplay, and it's actually gotten worse. COD is known for beeing fast paced, well now they ruined that with this game. Gameplay is so damn slow it's not even funny. And the maps, hohoho the maps. I have honestly never seen such terribly designed maps before. Like i've said many times before, random crap has been scattered throughout the map. I know not all maps are designed this way, but seriously, there's just too many that is. Also, have i mention quick scope? Possibly the worst thing to happen to COD. An exploit turned to a legit gameplay mechanic. There's no hope of not running in to some kid jumping off a roof doing a 360 no scope. No hope at all. Well, the soundtrack is still the same, no surprise there right? The death animations are also the same. There just seems to be no improvements/changes made to the game in a technical standpoint. I guess using the same engine for 5 years does that. MW3 truly is the worst COD in the series.

#37 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="landofcookies"]

landofcookies

nah its more the bad map designs,kill streaks rewading campign and the genuinely terrible weapon balance.

#38 Posted by Mercenary848 (11957 posts) -

Thank you, and honestly I have never been let down by COD game. if it is not for you fine do not play it, but please do not rag on people who do like it. Also I have not gotten MW3 yet, and I have never madde it to max level in a cod game, my k/d ratio looks like crap, and I was more excited for BF3(I hated it and sent it in for store credit).

#39 Posted by TheBlizz87 (146 posts) -
I kinda regret buying MW3. The campaign is decent but nothing spectacular or mind blowing. Multiplayer is kinda garbage. The maps all suck, the respawn system sucks BIG TIME, the hit detection sucks donkey balls. Then there are some over powered guns like the Type 95 and some shottys have riddiculous range and can kill you in one shot from half way across the map. On top of all that, the community is doing its part to ruin the game by glitching out of the map on Outpost, Resistence, and Hard Hat. There are also prestige boosters and lobbies. Plus camping is worse than ever in this game. Whew.. That's a lot of BS in one game.
#40 Posted by landofcookies (454 posts) -

[QUOTE="landofcookies"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

nah its more the bad map designs,kill streaks rewading campign and the genuinely terrible weapon balance.

The map design was very good in MW2. The killstreaks were addictive (not a bad thing), and the weapons not as terribly unbalanced as in BO. The nuke seemed to be the problem, after all.

#41 Posted by razgriz_101 (16875 posts) -

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="landofcookies"]

landofcookies

The map design was very good in MW2. The killstreaks were addictive (not a bad thing), and the weapons not as terribly unbalanced as in BO. The nuke seemed to be the problem, after all.

bwahahahahahahahhahahah...*takes breath*..bwahahahahahhahahah.

Son do you even know what balance is or good map design Karachi is hands down one of the most piss poor designs i've seen since the 90s? the only people that like MW2 are camping little quick scoping mongs to be honest.

#42 Posted by argetlam00 (6573 posts) -

[QUOTE="landofcookies"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

bwahahahahahahahhahahah...*takes breath*..bwahahahahahhahahah.

Son do you even know what balance is or good map design Karachi is hands down one of the most piss poor designs i've seen since the 90s? the only people that like MW2 are camping little quick scoping mongs to be honest.

CoD weapons dont even have recoil. They feel like toy guns for little kid that vibrate a bit when you press the trigger and make a "pew pew" sound.

#43 Posted by lorddaggeroff (2433 posts) -

I find it boring, i mean i feel cheated when i play it.

The only inncentive this game has is spec opps.

I bought mw3 3 days after launch and all i played was spec opps and story mode and just returned game, i couldnt convince my self play multiplayer as it felt bland i mean cod series need new formula if infinity ward resigned and moved over cry engine 3 i would have faith in them or any 3rd party dev on cod series as it isn't good.

Since kids and teenagers dominate cod games it changes how we play.

So when first cod games came out casual and pc gamers were all over cod and moh games, but now it's a time line through generations for every 10 year old who may here the contagious word "cod" encourages another bunch kids to play, but when they get older and tired of repiticious game the next generation who age criteria 10 or 14 or what ever repeat same cycle again so as long as their are "kids and teenagers" cod will sufice for next mellenia so while they are not to blame it's a vicious formula that makes cod what cod is maybe subliminal marketing who knows..........

But it'sruinning gaming industry.

#44 Posted by Doolz2024 (9623 posts) -

I simply can't have fun playing this game knowing how similiar it is to it's predecessor. The only significant changes i've noticed was the gameplay, and it's actually gotten worse. COD is known for beeing fast paced, well now they ruined that with this game. Gameplay is so damn slow it's not even funny. And the maps, hohoho the maps. I have honestly never seen such terribly designed maps before. Like i've said many times before, random crap has been scattered throughout the map. I know not all maps are designed this way, but seriously, there's just too many that is. Also, have i mention quick scope? Possibly the worst thing to happen to COD. An exploit turned to a legit gameplay mechanic. There's no hope of not running in to some kid jumping off a roof doing a 360 no scope. No hope at all. Well, the soundtrack is still the same, no surprise there right? The death animations are also the same. There just seems to be no improvements/changes made to the game in a technical standpoint. I guess using the same engine for 5 years does that. MW3 truly is the worst COD in the series.

el3m2tigre

Nah, it's not worse than the unbalanced abomination that was MW2.

#45 Posted by foxhound_fox (98033 posts) -
People can't express their opinions about a game because you enjoy it? Good for you I guess?
#46 Posted by eboyishere (12681 posts) -

Black ops might have been the most boring cod of all time, but atleast 3arc can make decent maps.

#47 Posted by NerubianWeaver (2046 posts) -
Fun is just a buzzword. It doesn't indicate a good feature of the said game. It's like reading a book and saying it feeds your mind....so?
#48 Posted by Metalscarz (1019 posts) -

Fun is just a buzzword. It doesn't indicate a good feature of the said game. It's like reading a book and saying it feeds your mind....so? NerubianWeaver

Perhaps, but the sole reason I play games is fun.....so.......WTF?

#49 Posted by MrJack3690 (2227 posts) -

I agree the CoD games are fun but

[QUOTE="subrosian"]It fixes many of the issues in MW2gamebreakerz__
A patch could have done that. You paid $60 for a patch.

This is also my problem with it. And yet there's still a lot of issues with the game that aren't acceptable. For as much money as Activision is raking in with this, there is NO excuse not to have dedicated servers, and after the god-awful hit detection in Black Ops, I'm not wasting my time again thinking this one will be different.

It's the same package every year now, I gave them credit with MW2 for adding Spec Ops, and instead of 3 killstreaks they added a bunch plus new weapons, perk system, etc. But Black Ops was just a copy paste of that in a different setting and MW3 is the same thing as MW2 with new levels. I'm gonna borrow MW3 to play the campaign and a little MP, but that's it...

I've only bought 2 CoD games, MW2 and Black Ops I've played all the other ones before though. But buying 2 was enough. I do get why people like the games though, I just have my reasons for not feeling like spending my money on it again and again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
#50 Posted by deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510 (17401 posts) -
By all means, continue having fun with your thrice-released shooter.