deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Multiplayer gaming use to be something special and fun in the late 90's and 00's but publisher greed and the lack of good MP games have tarnished it. These days MP feels like a dirty word associated with lootboxes and microstractions the days of just having competitive fun feels lost forever. I don't think we can go back to what it was the companies just want to milk you for every cent you own it's a shame.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@warmblur said:

Multiplayer gaming use to be something special and fun in the late 90's and 00's but publisher greed and the lack of good MP games have tarnished it. These days MP feels like a dirty word associated with lootboxes and microstractions the days of just having competitive fun feels lost forever. I don't think we can go back to what it was the companies just want to milk you for every cent you own it's a shame.

Thanks MS for it before they introduce micro transactions most of that shit was free,if you payed for something would have probably be an expansion in the true sense of the word,on PC basically that was free,i remember the endless maps and crap i got free for games like command and conquer,UT and others.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

You're 100% correct. 1998 -2001 was the shit.

Even if we exclude microtransactions and loot-boxes, it has a huge emphasizes on RPG like grind, where balance is non-existent.

Even genres tightly built around balance have had games, that, really had very little chance of failing, completely fall on their ass due to was it tantamount to Pay2win.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44943 Posts

I think some of that stuff is being scaled back. For example, the new Call of Duty will not have a season pass.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

I agree.

It was also a time when most games allowed you to host a private server.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: They said the same thing for Blops4, no season pass and no microtransactions, it ended up with both I believe weeks after launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
deactivated-5d0a4c3876874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
Member since 2019 • 180 Posts

You mean the time that fighting games couldn't have been played online ?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24847 Posts

Meh. Multiplayer gaming always suck.

its only fun for 10 minutes than get boring fast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Whenever my friends and I get together under the same roof for a gaming night, most of the time, we still break out the N64. The best multiplayer console ever!

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I remember being able to play Half-Life and Counter-Strike online around the turn of the millennium, and being able to browse full server lists, find the ones with the best ping or options I wanted, or just setup my own server with my own settings and immediately have a bunch of people come join the game. No frills, no BS "matchmaking", just find your server and start playing.

So yeah, it probably was better since most games don't let you do that now.

Of course, those were basically the only games I played online back then. I guess you could say there are ridiculously more options now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

While I do agree that lootboxes and micro transactions can certainly suck the fun out of games I think that in general multiplayer gaming is definitely more fun now then it has been in the past. There’s just so much more variety in online multiplayer gaming then there’s ever been.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

warcraft 3 mods, pokemon mmo, tower defense games, dota, best lord of the rings defend the wall game. So many insanely good games for free in it. The absolute best game maker and all for free.

half life mods, playing a real dragon ball z fighter with loads of people fighting, transforming etc and shooting beams at eachother. collecting dragon balls to become stronger etc. so good.

Playing overwatch already as wc3 mod in half life was great. Teleporting with counterstrike to corners, being invisible etc etc. Far infront of anything else.

quake 3 mods, urban terror probably a even better shooter then counter strike, dragon ball z mods, naruto fighting mods

And all of it online not gated in anyway.

Times where good man. Creativity was absolutely fantastic. And players provided what gamers wanted to play and the industry falled short.

Good times.

Hell even the most populaire games at this point are all copy past materials of mods in the past for free.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

in terms of big AAA games, its not what it used to be.

there are tons of great MP games on PC in the mid-tier range though. I spend a lot of my gaming time on those (stuff like Mordhau, Insurgency series, Rising Storm series etc.)

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

As an online multiplayer gamer, you are 100% wrong. Couch multiplayer suffers from availability of that extra player, one screen, multiple controllers, and the scarcity of the feature implemented in games. Online gaming eliminates all of that.

Also, as a multiplayer gamer, I never buy loot boxes or microtransactions - ever as they are mostly for cosmetic purposes and don’t affect the gameplay. Pay to win scenarios are almost always ironed out or regulated to mobile.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

I'm still having a ton of fun with friends...

But yeah, it seems a lot of these shooters (COD, Battlefield, Fortnite, Rainbow Six, CSGO, PUBG) all revolve around making you spend the most money on the most stupid shit. That you will lose anyway once you stop playing the game.

I mean 30 bucks for a hammer?

I can buy two full games for that amount.

30 bucks?

Are you kidding me?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Still great options on PC.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69089 Posts

I am not sure if agree the multiplayer was better. It was more coming of age than better. The online experience is so much more refine now than the lagginess of older multiplayer games. What really suffered was the willingness to experiment and try new stuff.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

I blame consoles for most of this, and I stand behind that claim even now. Matchmaking has killed any social aspect of Multiplayer games... let alone anything else.

The age of dedicated servers was the peak of online multiplayer from a shooter perspective.

MMO's were at their peak in the early days of WoW and even before that.

Now EVERY SINGLE online experience is:

1) Instant Matchmaking - but never speak to these people again, build no relationships, never meet the same people twice. Hurl insults because why not?

2) Dumbed down simplified game mechanics, and no real class-dependant game modes... because f*ck REQUIRING people to ACTUALLY work together.

3) Instant gratification reward systems... every modern MMO just throws Epics at you for LOGGING IN (exaguration).

I couldn't care less about most upcoming games. the only game I'm looking forward to is World of Warcraft: Classic. I don't care if its 2004 graphics.... no godamn matchmaking, no carebear welfare epics... actual social interaction required.

This automated instant-gratification "everyone deserves everything" modern gaming is just watered down shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@zaryia said:

Still great options on PC.

Not as great though remember the good old days when you where allowed to mod the battlefield games and rents servers BF was a million times better back then 1942-2142. BF was at it's best and online gaming in general on PC was better devs where more friendly to modders now the modding scene is dead for alot AAA MP games. I remember Medal of Honor Allied Assault had some amazing custom maps and mods too it's just not the same anymore everything is shut off to the public filled with crappy DLC and lootboxes. I miss the days when we would get expansion packs to me that was the golden era of PC gaming and MP.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

At least private party chat is much better than the old public chat where you could hear every idiot spouting idiocy and then had to manually mute them.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

Meh. Multiplayer gaming always suck.

its only fun for 10 minutes than get boring fast.

Not everyone can handle a challenge :P

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

I totally agree. That era was the golden age of multiplayer gaming.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10597 Posts

@vfighter:

Ummm no it wasn't. As a matter of fact, BO4 received some slight criticism because they were still on the season pass bandwagon, while their main competitor (bfv) dropped it. The reason why it was only "slight" was because after that initial trailer for bfv, fans and the community wasn't too happy about it, so when they made the "no premium pass" announcement, it went over most of the userbase as "ho humish".