Multiplats - Better On 360? Why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AA7
Member since 2003 • 2845 Posts
Simple Question: Why, in general, are Multiplats better on the 360? This is not only my humble opinion but also the opinion of Gamespot, IGN, Games Radar, GamesRankings......and so on and so on..... But feel free to disagree. So......what do you think?
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
Ease of production. With games like GRAW 2, Oblivion and R6: Vegas being considerably delayed on the PS3 its pretty clear that the 360 is much easier to develop for. Easier development means lower costs so developers are more likely to make a game for the 360 and then worry about ports to the PS3 (using fewer staff members).
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

It's ease of production.  Easier to develop games with 360 hardware and then port them to PS3. Playstation Edge Tools might make it easier on PS3 or close that gap in the future, but who knows.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
a little big of A and B. its a known fact that the cell is a pain in the rear for many devs. and yes the 360 does have the better gpu for textures, details, and overall graphics. but with the cells processor abilities the PS3 can have more objects on the field, with better load times, better AI, and maybe even better effects and physics. although i could be wrong about that in regards to the PS3 cpu advantage.
-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Sir-Poof-
Member since 2006 • 4544 Posts
Ill have to disagree because when I get a PS3 and 360 I wont be getting XBL for 360, meaning ill be getting multiplats on the PS3 due to free online.
-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Sir-Poof-
......o yea and home achievements.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

Simple Question: Why, in general, are Multiplats better on the 360? This is not only my humble opinion but also the opinion of Gamespot, IGN, Games Radar, GamesRankings......and so on and so on..... But feel free to disagree. So......what do you think?AA7

depends from game to game. oblivion looked/functioned better despite the "easier development" on the 360

i think as developers grow more comfortable with the development tools on the ps3, that gap will narrow or cease to exist (or maybe, even swing over to the ps3 side!) 

Spartan-051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spartan-051
Member since 2007 • 728 Posts

It's ease of production.  Easier to develop games with 360 hardware and then port them to PS3. Playstation Edge Tools might make it easier on PS3 or close that gap in the future, but who knows.

MikeE21286

Yes but the 360 also has EXCELLENT online service which helps out a lot

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pundog

[QUOTE="AA7"]Simple Question: Why, in general, are Multiplats better on the 360? This is not only my humble opinion but also the opinion of Gamespot, IGN, Games Radar, GamesRankings......and so on and so on..... But feel free to disagree. So......what do you think?asmallchild

depends from game to game. oblivion looked/functioned better despite the "easier development" on the 360

i think as developers grow more comfortable with the development tools on the ps3, that gap will narrow or cease to exist (or maybe, even swing over to the ps3 side!) 

It also had a full year of extra development time. If oblivion didn't look/function better on the PS3 there would have to be something seriously wrong with the PS3.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

asmallchild

Yeah, but Oblivion had an extra year in development.  The PS3's Cell Processor is why it's so hard to program with in the first place.  It's less efficient than the 360's CPU, however it does have quite a bit of power.  Maybe in time as devs learn to work with their resources and the PS3 more, the gap will cease to exist.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
360 better GPU and easy to dev for CPU.
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts

Ill have to disagree because when I get a PS3 and 360 I wont be getting XBL for 360, meaning ill be getting multiplats on the PS3 due to free online.-Sir-Poof-
......o yea and home achievements.-Sir-Poof-

Thats pretty dumb if u ask me. 

asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 asmallchild
[QUOTE="asmallchild"]

Saturos3091

Yeah, but Oblivion had an extra year in development. The PS3's Cell Processor is why it's so hard to program with in the first place. It's less efficient than the 360's CPU, however it does have quite a bit of power. Maybe in time as devs learn to work with their resources and the PS3 more, the gap will cease to exist.

so now you're just stealing lines from my post?! jk jk 

eddy_of_york

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 eddy_of_york
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Controller and GPU will be what it comes down to in the future. Of course right it is also probably due to the difficulty of using the ps3 hardware.
-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Sir-Poof-

[QUOTE="-Sir-Poof-"]Ill have to disagree because when I get a PS3 and 360 I wont be getting XBL for 360, meaning ill be getting multiplats on the PS3 due to free online.-KinGz-

mmmk why?

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AA7

[QUOTE="-Sir-Poof-"]Ill have to disagree because when I get a PS3 and 360 I wont be getting XBL for 360, meaning ill be getting multiplats on the PS3 due to free online.-KinGz-

I wouldnt call achievments dumb. They have been ridicliously sucessful for their simplicity.

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AA7
[QUOTE="Saturos3091"][QUOTE="asmallchild"]

Dont get hostile! 

asmallchild

Yeah, but Oblivion had an extra year in development. The PS3's Cell Processor is why it's so hard to program with in the first place. It's less efficient than the 360's CPU, however it does have quite a bit of power. Maybe in time as devs learn to work with their resources and the PS3 more, the gap will cease to exist.

so now you're just stealing lines from my post?! jk jk

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AA7

360 better GPU and easy to dev for CPU.X360PS3AMD05

JD eh?

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
It's really only the ease of developement. 360 is a PC in a box and can use all kinds of premade effects, PS3 is completely different and studios must learn the hardware. 360 is already maxed out yet we're seeing about equal overall multiplats right now in the first wave of ports from 360 to PS3. Once the devs learn the hardware better, all multiplats are going to look the same or better on PS3. Everything is just going to depend on if the developers take advantage of PS3s hardware or gimp the game to get it on 360.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Cause there's no need to pay 600 dollars to play them.
AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AA7

Cause there's no need to pay 600 dollars to play them.Wintry_Flutist

Never thought of that one, good reason. 

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pundog
It's really only the ease of developement. 360 is a PC in a box and can use all kinds of premade effects, PS3 is completely different and studios must learn the hardware. 360 is already maxed out yet we're seeing about equal overall multiplats right now in the first wave of ports from 360 to PS3. Once the devs learn the hardware better, all multiplats are going to look the same or better on PS3. Everything is just going to depend on if the developers take advantage of PS3s hardware or gimp the game to get it on 360.Lazy_Boy88
The 360 is already maxed out? What do you do in your spare time, eat paint chips? The 360 (and the PS3) will not be maxed out until at least 2-3 years down the road. No console is maxed out in its first 18 months, or 36 months for that matter.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

PS3 has to fake a lot of effects the 360 GPU can do effortlessly so programmers have to screw around a lot to get lighting and textures where they need to be. If they take their time they can do a good job. But time is money and human labor costs are always the highest part of any production. Sony ticked off a lot of developers and they used to be more vocal about it but recently you haven't heard as much. Probably threatened them somehow or another.

STABW0UND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 STABW0UND
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts

1. Xbox Live

2. Achivements

3. Graphics

FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts
[QUOTE="-KinGz-"]

[QUOTE="-Sir-Poof-"]Ill have to disagree because when I get a PS3 and 360 I wont be getting XBL for 360, meaning ill be getting multiplats on the PS3 due to free online.-Sir-Poof-

mmmk why?

Its simple, you rather have a inferior port with less features than the version originally intended from the devs just because you are too cheap to pay for XBL. That would be the equivalent of someone making a argument for using netzero or zuno, versus paying for a reliable service....Sometimes its good to be a reasonable consumer, but to not get the full value from your purchase because you wanna pinch pennies is never good.

Game On....

-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Sir-Poof-
[QUOTE="-Sir-Poof-"][QUOTE="-KinGz-"]

[QUOTE="-Sir-Poof-"]Ill have to disagree because when I get a PS3 and 360 I wont be getting XBL for 360, meaning ill be getting multiplats on the PS3 due to free online.FatalDomain

mmmk why?

Its simple, you rather have a inferior port with less features than the version originally intended from the devs just because you are too cheap to pay for XBL. That would be the equivalent of someone making a argument for using netzero or zuno, versus paying for a reliable service....Sometimes its good to be a reasonable consumer, but to not get the full value from your purchase because you wanna pinch pennies is never good.

Game On....

So every port will be intended for 360 first then PS3? Link plz? Its not being cheap its called taking a stand against paying to play online.

Avatar image for MultiplateOwner
MultiplateOwner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MultiplateOwner
Member since 2007 • 187 Posts

u guys for get that oblivion is bethaside first game on the ps3, which looks better than there first game on the 360, add the fact that u people say ps3 is hard to dev for, oblivion shows ps3 is just s better system if the game is ported  right.

STABW0UND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 STABW0UND
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts

u guys for get that oblivion is bethaside first game on the ps3, which looks better than there first game on the 360, add the fact that u people say ps3 is hard to dev for, oblivion shows ps3 is just s better system if the game is ported  right.

MultiplateOwner

360 version is WAY better ps3 version dosent even tell you how much gold you get at the end of a mission :\

asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 asmallchild
[QUOTE="MultiplateOwner"]

u guys for get that oblivion is bethaside first game on the ps3, which looks better than there first game on the 360, add the fact that u people say ps3 is hard to dev for, oblivion shows ps3 is just s better system if the game is ported right.

STABW0UND

360 version is WAY better ps3 version dosent even tell you how much gold you get at the end of a mission :\

gamespot disagrees.

as does ign. i'm inclined to trust them more 

NextGenNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NextGenNow
Member since 2007 • 2622 Posts
Simple Question: Why, in general, are Multiplats better on the 360? This is not only my humble opinion but also the opinion of Gamespot, IGN, Games Radar, GamesRankings......and so on and so on..... But feel free to disagree. So......what do you think?AA7
I play games on both consoles and PS3's dominate. CoD3 is better though cuz of online.
Davis092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Davis092
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
Ubisoft.
AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AA7

Ubisoft.Davis092

What? 

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AA7

[QUOTE="AA7"]Simple Question: Why, in general, are Multiplats better on the 360? This is not only my humble opinion but also the opinion of Gamespot, IGN, Games Radar, GamesRankings......and so on and so on..... But feel free to disagree. So......what do you think?NextGenNow
I play games on both consoles and PS3's dominate. CoD3 is better though cuz of online.

Dominate. Sorry, but no way. Have you seen Splinter Cell? 

FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts
[QUOTE="FatalDomain"][QUOTE="-Sir-Poof-"][QUOTE="-KinGz-"]

[QUOTE="-Sir-Poof-"]Ill have to disagree because when I get a PS3 and 360 I wont be getting XBL for 360, meaning ill be getting multiplats on the PS3 due to free online.-Sir-Poof-

mmmk why?

Game On....

So every port will be intended for 360 first then PS3? Link plz? Its not being cheap its called taking a stand against paying to play online.

In a nutshell, YES!!! 

No link is needed, havent you been keeping tabs on the trends this gen?!?!? In the realm of multiplats, the PS3 is either getting 360 ports (at a later date) or dumbed down versions of the same game (if they launch together). Regarless of how anti-XBL some gamers may be, they would still acknowlege you cant just slice together some XBL features and make them work successfully. By comparison, the features of the PS3 version of multiplats are lacking in every aspect. So as I originally stated, you rather have a spliced together version of game versus buy the superior version. Its not like you are bias against the systems, so whats the big deal to get a XBL account to enjoy your games to their full potential?

Hell if you are that damn cheap I have a few free trials for XBL (you get them when you buy games!!! :P ) I would be more than happy to give you the codes so you can stop making excuses...

Game On....

elementz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 elementz28
Member since 2007 • 1829 Posts
lmao at all the lemming sayin the 360 is bettter hardware..lol..i bet u all the 360 is goin to break down when tryin to play thier games..lol..so many games already crash a lot of people systems.
-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Sir-Poof-
[QUOTE="-Sir-Poof-"][QUOTE="FatalDomain"][QUOTE="-Sir-Poof-"][QUOTE="-KinGz-"]

[QUOTE="-Sir-Poof-"]Ill have to disagree because when I get a PS3 and 360 I wont be getting XBL for 360, meaning ill be getting multiplats on the PS3 due to free online.FatalDomain

mmmk why?

Game On....

In a nutshell, YES!!! 

No link is needed, havent you been keeping tabs on the trends this gen?!?!? In the realm of multiplats, the PS3 is either getting 360 ports (at a later date) or dumbed down versions of the same game (if they launch together). Regarless of how anti-XBL some gamers may be, they would still acknowlege you cant just slice together some XBL features and make them work successfully. By comparison, the features of the PS3 version of multiplats are lacking in every aspect. So as I originally stated, you rather have a spliced together version of game versus buy the superior version. Its not like you are bias against the systems, so whats the big deal to get a XBL account to enjoy your games to their full potential?

Hell if you are that damn cheap I have a few free trials for XBL (you get them when you buy games!!! :P ) I would be more than happy to give you the codes so you can stop making excuses...

Game On....

I think results will very from title to title so to say EVERY multiplat game will be better on the 360 is pushing it but about XBL I just look at it as a business stand point, who says Sony wont look at MS and decided to charge for their online service since lets say 60% of 360 owners have XBL, that will be a huge profit for Sony if they can sell 75 million PS3s and have 60% of those owners paying for online. So its not that I cant afford it its just I dont want paying for online to become a standard.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
I know this argument goes back and forth a lot. This problem is mainly due to developers not taking the time to make multiplat games right on the PS3. Why does obilion on the PS3  stand up so well to the 360? Bethesda puts the time into making their game right. Ubisoft and EA do not. The issue with the PS3 is programers have learn how to sync the code along the 8 (or 7) SPEs in the cell processor. Programers should have an easier time with the 360 since its a triple core CPU. Its just companies like Ubisoft and EA are not going to take the extra time to figure it out just to make the game look better. If it looks ok and they can meet the deadline thats what goes. I'm sure once developers get their feet wet this problem will disapear, but for now sony fans have to deal with it.