MS's plan to combat Sony is a lot smarter than people realize...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

Premise:

Xbox one is in a real tight spot right now, even the most avid MS fans could admit that much, but some people might think MS has completely blown it in the console war but that is far from the truth.

This gen is almost over and everyone knows that. Everyone is waiting for and expecting the PS5 to start a new gen fall 2019 or early 2020 and think MS will be in trouble again trying to play catch up with Sony because they got the jump on them, but that actually isn't true!

MS got the jump on Sony because they've already set the plans for next gen and they're pretty good.

Yes MS lied to everyone, but it's not really that bad...maybe kind of, but it's for the best.

The Analysis:

...........................................................................................

What you need to realized is MS's master plan to combat Sony.

1.MS has given up on this gen!

lol if you're wondering why you haven't heard about any new high profile AAA titles for X1 when Phil's been telling you he's working on exciting AAA projects get a clue! Those games are for next generation. That's why you're still waiting on old funky Crackdown 3 to release and State of Decay which looks like a PS3 title in 2018.

This is important: MS isn't going to release much if any of their upcoming high profile exclusives in development on for X1. That is why MS didn't announce any AAA games last E3, The time line needs to be closer to PS5's reveal.

2.Xbox one X is NOT a MID-GEN system, it's a CROSS-GEN system!

The importance of understanding this can't be understated. Essentially, MS has ALREADY released their next gen system (there is the lie MS used to fool everyone especially Sony) and why it's so ridiculously powerful compared to X1.

So no base X1/S owers, MS won't fulfill their promise of NOT having exclusives on X1X.

As soon as Sony announce PS5, MS will began to announce X1X as their base hardware for next gen and start releasing exclusives.

MS won't release their actual Next gen system until 2020-2021 to get the power advantage once again from Sony while still being BC with X1X.

3. The programming advantage for X1X.

The X1X will have already been on the market for over a year having all major developers learn the in's and outs of the hardware. Developers are already using up-scaling technology with X1X to get the best results for performance and graphics on the hardware.

The PS5 will be more powerful and be a true 4k machine, but it will not blow the X1X out of the water in terms of visual fidelity because of developer familiarity and scaling technology.

4. Pre-existing install base!

As stated before, the X1X will have been on the market for well over a year before PS5 releases.

This install base is exactly the situation MS wanted with 360 being out a year before PS3 that established mind-share which gave them leverage with getting exclusive deals and 3rd parties.

5. Price point***!

PS5 will no doubt be releasing at $500+ at launch (anything less and it would be tragically underpowred compared to current hardware).

MS, having released a year earlier will easily be able to drop X1X's price to $450-$400 to under cut PS5's launch price while having similarly impressive exclusive games that will actually utilize X1X's true power.

FIN/

Genius plan on MS's part and great plan to combat Sony going forward.

or

Am I giving MS too much credit, over thinking things and totally off?

Zeggelaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zeggelaar
Member since 2017 • 181 Posts

All I know is that I own well over 100 games for the 360, I own around 5 for my X1. I own tons for my PS3,I don't own a PS4 yet but there is a ton of games I want to buy. I still game on all my consoles, except my X1. For the most part I personally think that the damage to the Xbox brand has been substantial and potentially irreversable, a console is only as good as the games that are available, most of those games can be played on a PC and lots of PC players have a rig that is more powerful than the X1X so why not use it instead.
Microsoft really needs to branch out from Halo and Gears in my opinion, make exclusives that I can't buy on my PC (Even though I think lots of companies are losing out on piles of cash by not bringing their games to PC.) Approach 3rd party developers with incentives to make exclusives for you. If I can buy it on my PC I won't buy your console when I can just use that money to upgrade my PC.
I don't want the X1X to flop as it hurts gamers as a whole, competition is good for gamers and the industry as a whole, we want choices and access to more games.

Give me more of a reason than just Master Chief to stay with the Xbox or your next console please.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

The amount of shit lems come up with to protect their favoured company, MS adores you lot.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tgob89

@Random_Matt said:

The amount of shit lems come up with to protect their favoured company, MS adores you lot.

...I'm a lem?

well that's a new one.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

So Microsoft is openly lying about the 1X not having exclusives? And they are dumping the Xbone at the end like the OG Xbox and 360 once again? That's a bold move Cotton.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tgob89

@Nike_Air said:

So Microsoft is openly lying about the 1X not having exclusives? And they are dumping the Xbone at the end like the OG Xbox and 360 once again? That's a bold move Cotton.

EXACTLY!

It's not like MS hasn't lied before, so they might as well lie to get a strategical advantage in the console war. Sucks for Standard X1/S owners but that's what it's looking like will happen.

IMO all signs are pointing toward the outcome I have suggested in my OP.

We all know MS held off announcing and releasing games for the 360 in preparation for the launch for Xbox one.

And MS/Phil has been telling xbox fans that they have been working on NEW AAA games to keep them holding on to their X1's...They're only leaving off the part where those games will be next gen titles likely exclusive to X1X cutting out the standard 1.

THAT's why MS hasn't announced what those NEW games are because PS5 isn't announced and they don't want to kill base X1 sales yet.

MS isn't going to waste the money they invested in X1X, it looked like stupid investment before but if this is MS's plan it makes sense. They'll stop production of standard X1/S and phase it out of existence shortly after PS5 announcement making X1X the base model.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

it makes more sense to cross gen, i figured this out when I first heard of the x1x coming, consoles life spand in like 2 years before they get faulty(in my experience) so either you upgrade or get one second hand, this makes older ones super cheap on the second hand market an original x1 is $100 aud here, this increase the amount of players. slowly removing older consoles. Apple been doing this for a while and it works really well

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

There's so much wrong here. PS5 price won't be $500. The X will have at least a 2 year head start on PS5... I'm not sure what player base you're referring to. Everyone is jumping over to PlayStation, and if they haven't yet, Sony still has several good looking exclusives coming out this year and the next to bring them over. Consoles use x86 architecture and don't require massive amounts of time for developers to optimize, unlike consoles of the past. Here's how it's gonna play out: PS5 will release in either fall 2019 or early 2020 at the latest for $399. It will be at least 10 teraflops with a CPU that blows the X's away. It'll also have some new technology we don't know about yet(like how Pro uses rapid packed math). The 100+ million PS4 owners by that time will slowly upgrade to ps5... More Xbox One owners will finally realize MS is a lying company and like this gen will jump ship. The only thing that has slowed PlayStation down since the original released in '95 was the PS3s price, which they rebounded from and learned that lesson. Sony being a long time hardware company has the edge in making a stronger console for less money than MS. MS will finally stop the bleeding(they have not made any profit over the lifetime of the Xbox division... The original Xbox lost them 4 billion, and the 360 would have helped if they didn't have the RROD problem). The Xbox will be an App on Windows, and MS will shift focus to software, their specialty. MS will release a base Windows system for PC to help transition Lems over. The UI will be similar to the current Xbox UI but will be a PC underneath. Basically Xbox and PC will merge, so technically Lems will always have the power advantage they want to brag about and still call it an Xbox.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JoshRMeyer

@npiet1: Stop buying MS consoles if they break every 2 years. I have every console I've ever own going back to the NES that still work aside from a PS4 I have to fix(HDMI port). Also, Apple slows their products down(battery based ones) intentionally and has finally been called out on it. Apple also has the trendy group buying up their products... MS doesn't (look at their phone division).

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

@joshrmeyer: The problem for Sony and MS is ... what should a next gen console be capable of? It won't display higher than 4k .... can we agree on that? It should be able to display 60fps solid. Anything more than that would be redundant with current TVs. Is that a big enough step considering x1x handles native 4k 30fps on most games that have been enhanced, and Pro can achieve it through checkerboarding mostly....So, is that big enough a jump to dump current mid cycle consoles?
I think we're heading for another bump in textures instead of a whole new gen. X1X and Pro will be the entry level consoles at 250-300 bucks, and ps5 and xb2 will play the same games at 4k 60fps with better textures.
I can't see MS moving Xbox exclusively to PC. Xbox games on PC don't hurt the Xbox, because not everybody has the desire or patience to upgrade a PC and a "base windows system" with full blown windows loses the advantages of a walled xbox, and a PC with a restricted version of W10 would basically be an Xbox ..... wouldn't make sense for MS to produce a ready to go PC for Xbox use, instead of an actual Xbox. They'll either make a xb2, or they wont. There won't be a compromise.
I don't expect to see a PS5 before the 2020 holiday period or even later.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Terrible plan, the Xbone X is selling like a mid gen refresh (flop), how do they expect to get people excited in 2-3 years as if the Xbone X is some type of new gen console?

People will have the choice of PS5 with all new hardware, branding, features and games vs a mid gen refresh that will be 3-4 years old.

The PS4 is still outselling the Xbone even with the refresh, Microsoft will definitely need to create a whole new system, big investment in exclusives and new branding to wash the nasty taste of the XFLOP out of gamers mouths.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JoshRMeyer

@sealionact: Yeah they definitely won't be pushing more than 4k, agreed. Cerny has talked about a console needing at least 8 terafops of GPU power to do true 4k gaming. In my opinion, using checkerboarding at half the cost of processing power makes more sense than straight up native. There's just not enough difference visually to justify it. Imagine a 10 teraflop system using checkerboarding, essentially mimicking a 20 tflop GPU. And yes, textures will be amazing. That's what's missing with the Pro...not so much with the X, but definitely room for improvement. MS is losing money making hardware(the X specifically), which is somewhat normal... But I can see them saying screw hardware, let the fans use whatever hardware they want(aka PC) and we'll supply the software(Windows, Apps, etc). The X definitely can last many more years as a console option for those still not wanting to go the PC route(It could probably last 10 more years, if graphics continue to scale). 60 fps might actually be standard now with the better processors available for cheap, but I thought that this gen too, and it didn't happen, so idk. It really all comes down to sales in the next few years. I think the X will continue selling fairly well, but the S will slow down and die out. It'll still play 90% of the games available in the next decade, since most games aren't graphic intensive, but I also think those other 10% will only be playable on the X. Sum it up: X will be around for a long time, but I think MS will put more focus on Windows gaming, which includes an Xbox app and a UI to mimick the familiar Xbox UI. A PC that boots up like a console, that plays Xbox and PC games is an awesome idea. I have no clue why it hasn't happened yet.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

It's about the games.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

Microsoft doesn't have a plan. They are just shitting in their hand, throwing it against the wall and hoping it sticks

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tgob89

@joshrmeyer said:

There's so much wrong here. PS5 price won't be $500. The X will have at least a 2 year head start on PS5... I'm not sure what player base you're referring to. Everyone is jumping over to PlayStation, and if they haven't yet, Sony still has several good looking exclusives coming out this year and the next to bring them over. Consoles use x86 architecture and don't require massive amounts of time for developers to optimize, unlike consoles of the past. Here's how it's gonna play out: PS5 will release in either fall 2019 or early 2020 at the latest for $399. It will be at least 10 teraflops with a CPU that blows the X's away. It'll also have some new technology we don't know about yet(like how Pro uses rapid packed math). The 100+ million PS4 owners by that time will slowly upgrade to ps5... More Xbox One owners will finally realize MS is a lying company and like this gen will jump ship. The only thing that has slowed PlayStation down since the original released in '95 was the PS3s price, which they rebounded from and learned that lesson. Sony being a long time hardware company has the edge in making a stronger console for less money than MS. MS will finally stop the bleeding(they have not made any profit over the lifetime of the Xbox division... The original Xbox lost them 4 billion, and the 360 would have helped if they didn't have the RROD problem). The Xbox will be an App on Windows, and MS will shift focus to software, their specialty. MS will release a base Windows system for PC to help transition Lems over. The UI will be similar to the current Xbox UI but will be a PC underneath. Basically Xbox and PC will merge, so technically Lems will always have the power advantage they want to brag about and still call it an Xbox.

Oh man, you're expectations are more out there than mine for sure.

1. Player base.

People own and are buying X1X's NOW!

Regardless of number, when PS5 drops it will start out at 0, that's a fact. X1X will have an install base when PS5 is released and PS5 wont. That matters.

2. PS5 will release at $399?

Not likely.

Not if you expect PS5 to be significantly more powerful than X1X or unless you expect Sony to take a tremendous hit on console sale that would push them to bankruptcy.

Seriously MS released X1X holiday 2017 (that means it JUST released) and MS have to sell it at $500?

Time for a reality check...

Xbox One X selling at a loss even with that $500 price tag

These are the FACTS!

Only by the time PS5 releases can MS start to think about lowering the price of X1X because they're taking a hit on selling it a $500 now in 2018...a 6Tflop system! Let that sink in a few seconds...Mr 10 Tflops at $399 in 2019 lol seriously dude just NO.

Sony will NOT be able to release a system for $400 and be more powerful than X1X.

3. (PS4) at least 10 teraflops with a CPU that blows the X's away?

Refer to the post above ^

PS5 will be $500 or better upon release to match that expectation. One way or another X1X will have an advantage, Sony want's to release with a system with 8-10Tflops, the system you're describing is actually $550-$600.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tgob89

@sealionact said:

@joshrmeyer: The problem for Sony and MS is ... what should a next gen console be capable of? It won't display higher than 4k .... can we agree on that? It should be able to display 60fps solid. Anything more than that would be redundant with current TVs. Is that a big enough step considering x1x handles native 4k 30fps on most games that have been enhanced, and Pro can achieve it through checkerboarding mostly....So, is that big enough a jump to dump current mid cycle consoles?

I think we're heading for another bump in textures instead of a whole new gen. X1X and Pro will be the entry level consoles at 250-300 bucks, and ps5 and xb2 will play the same games at 4k 60fps with better textures.

I can't see MS moving Xbox exclusively to PC. Xbox games on PC don't hurt the Xbox, because not everybody has the desire or patience to upgrade a PC and a "base windows system" with full blown windows loses the advantages of a walled xbox, and a PC with a restricted version of W10 would basically be an Xbox ..... wouldn't make sense for MS to produce a ready to go PC for Xbox use, instead of an actual Xbox. They'll either make a xb2, or they wont. There won't be a compromise.

I don't expect to see a PS5 before the 2020 holiday period or even later.

I agree on some of this except Sony wont have the Pro as their cross over system compatible with PS5.

Unlike MS carrying X1X over to the next gen of systems PS4 Pro will be completely separate from the PS5 generation and only come into play when cross-gen games are delivered, it will NOT be able to play PS5 exclusive games.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tgob89

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

Terrible plan, the Xbone X is selling like a mid gen refresh (flop), how do they expect to get people excited in 2-3 years as if the Xbone X is some type of new gen console?

People will have the choice of PS5 with all new hardware, branding, features and games vs a mid gen refresh that will be 3-4 years old.

The PS4 is still outselling the Xbone even with the refresh, Microsoft will definitely need to create a whole new system, big investment in exclusives and new branding to wash the nasty taste of the XFLOP out of gamers mouths.

Except I think your time line is wrong. 2 or....3 years?

Do you expect Sony to wait til 2021 to launch PS5? That may be the time line MS releases their next hardware but far too long for Sony.

Also as I've said in my OP PS5 will be more powerful but it will also be much more expensive, I estimate by at least $100.

MS will have the price advantage and even if not as capable as PS5, a console that can produce 4k resolution even if upscaled; which the PS4 Pro proves can have remarkable results that's difficult to tell the difference from 4k especially at higher resolutions 1800p for example.

PS5 won't blow X1X away in terms of visuals at launch especially with upscale technology thrown into the mix and the fact that most of PS5's big titles will be cross developed with PS4 in mind for the first few years.

DIGITALFOUNDRY:"The game comes in at a full 2160p, using CHECKERBOARD rendering...It's one of the cleanest looking console games we've ever played.."

https://www.digitalfoundry.net/2017-02-24-horizon-zero-dawn-tech-analysis

Being able to display at 4k isn't the end all be all checkerboard rendering can be used to produce similar results using less resources.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

The XboneX is already a flop. If this was supposed to be some kind of master stroke from MS it has already failed.

It's going to get steamrolled by the PS5 even worse than the Dreamcast was by the PS2.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

You're looking too far into it. The XB1X is nothing more than an attempt to rehabilitate its image with gamers and the developers/publishers showing they have the ability to focus more on the hardware side of the business since they had a much weaker console this gen compared to Sony. It was more a move to garner respect before moving forward, same way Nintendo couldn't move onto the Switch until they rehabilitated public image of Wii U.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tgob89

@lamprey263 said:

You're looking too far into it. The XB1X is nothing more than an attempt to rehabilitate its image with gamers and the developers/publishers showing they have the ability to focus more on the hardware side of the business since they had a much weaker console this gen compared to Sony. It was more a move to garner respect before moving forward, same way Nintendo couldn't move onto the Switch until they rehabilitated public image of Wii U.

That would actually be sad if true.

Honestly, If their plan was what I have suggested would be the BEST situation for them going forward.

All they'd have to do is pull the chain off devs and tell them to go at it not worrifying about the restrictions of base X1 hardware.

The worst thing about X1X now doesn't have anything to do with the hardware, it's that it's locked to the current gen and devs aren't allowed to truly develop games that utilize it's power I.E. EXCLUSIVES.

I personally think that X1X is great hardware, but I would never consider buying one if it didn't have exclusives (not talking about games tied to X1/S of course). That is the only way MS are truly going to be competitive with Sony and they'll save money by not having to launch a system because they'll already have one ready in stores.

6Tflops is nothing to sneeze at for a console, just look at what is possible with a measly 1.8 Teraflops in Horizon Zero Dawn. At 6Tflps X1X should be able to handle anything next gen can throw at it even if only at 30fps using checkerboard rendering the results should be great and at a lower price point than Sony could match.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

@tgob89: I though they did tell developers they can make XB1X exclusive games if they wanted, but that would restrict their base of potential consumers, that 6TFLOP of theirs won't be as cutting edge by time the PS5 releases.

It might be smarter though going forward to treat next Xbox like a mid gen refresh for other reasons, won't require legal loopholes for additional BC offerings. And they can still just make another beefy upgrade when better tech gets cheaper.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#23 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Any MS "plan" that isn't built on the foundation of Master Chief will crumble. Sadly, 343i failed and there is no going back.

As a recovering Xbox fan, acceptance is the most important part of breaking the cycle.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tgob89

@lamprey263 said:

@tgob89: I though they did tell developers they can make XB1X exclusive games if they wanted, but that would restrict their base of potential consumers, that 6TFLOP of theirs won't be as cutting edge by time the PS5 releases.

It might be smarter though going forward to treat next Xbox like a mid gen refresh for other reasons, won't require legal loopholes for additional BC offerings. And they can still just make another beefy upgrade when better tech gets cheaper.

Nah, people still believe that X1X is nothing but a mid-gen upgrade because that is what MS told everyone when it was announced and the devs are locked to make all games for both X1 and X1X...at least right now.

About restricting their fanbase...if we are talking about current X1 owners, most of them have either moved to other systems Switch/PS4/PC or upgraded to X1X.

The other lot of standard X1 owners probably just wanted to cheapest game option on the market and probably wouldn't upgrade to new game hardware at launch anyway so they're not within the demographic for potential prospects for next gen systems that Sony and MS are looking for...And if they were, *POINT* X1X would still be the cheapest option on the market!

Another thing to consider is the MS isn't going to stop supporting X1 at the start of next gen, it just won't be seeing exclusives that X1X will start getting so they'll still be able to support current X1 owners if with nothing else but cross-gen multiplats.

Lastly no 6Tflops won't be the "cutting edge" but PS5 isn't going to be what people expect either. I may make another thread on that and it may shock some people.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tgob89

@gamecubepad said:

Any MS "plan" that isn't built on the foundation of Master Chief will crumble. Sadly, 343i failed and there is no going back.

As a recovering Xbox fan, acceptance is the most important part of breaking the cycle.

lol, so MS just sent X1X out there to die?

Any plan of MS that involves tagging X1 along for the ride will result in failure.

Nintendo was smart and cut ties all with the failing WiiU and and simply dove head first in with new hardware that has with no ties to the previous system, everyone has seen the results so there's no need to speak on it.

if MS keeps X1X withing the mid-gen upgrade category it means they'll HAVE to launch all new hardware to combat PS5...Why do that when you'll loose millions of dollars that could have went to developing games and they already have a system capable of meeting next gen requirements?

MS will gain even more support from it's fans who purchased X1X because they won't be forced to double down on new hardware for next gen while Playstation owners will (I don't believe PS4 Pro is going to be apart of the PS5 gen it's too weak).

Making X1X the standard next gen system for next gen is smart business for MS and a good deal for current owners.

Then they can release a more powerful mid-gen box in 2021-2022 and trump Sony in power.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Yep sure...Sun Tzu is a lem after all ^^!!!

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tgob89

@sovkhan said:

Yep sure...Sun Tzu is a lem after all ^^!!!

So...what you're saying is Xbox Juan?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

So Microsoft’s “plan” is to have no plan, do nothing and then release a new console around the time PS5 comes out?

You just described Microsoft clearly not caring about the Xbox brand and they are just going through the motions at this point. I will not be shocked if they just stop altogether since they have 3 failed consoles and Billions in losses.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

1. MS has given up on this gen!

This isn't much of a strategy, and no, the lack of AAA games has nothing to do with trying to align with the release of a PS5. Microsoft simply hasn't been able to leverage much of its already limited in house studios. There's no reason why anyone should believe they can / will turn it around any time soon.

Couldn't Sony make the PS4 Pro their base hardware for "next gen"? And what makes you think the next gen Xbox will be backwards compatible, but the PS5 won't / can't be?

I don't see how "developer familiarity and scaling technology" will at all make a significant difference. The former isn't anywhere near as important as it used to be. Developing against the PS5 shouldn't be any harder than programming against the PS4 / PS4 Pro. Game engines these days are incredibly robust, and can already pull off 4k / "next gen" games (they already run on much more powerful PCs).

Again, the PS4 Pro can be Sony's "cross gen" console as well. Not to mention the PS4s install base is much larger. A "cross gen" console would make it a much easier decision for folks to develop for the PlayStation consoles.

5. Price point***!

Sony could drop the price of the Pro to under cut the X1X. Either way, I don't think Sony needs to worry about having a higher price point than the X1X. The PS5 will be a next gen console - a $100 price difference would be well worth it.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tgob89

@Nonstop-Madness said:

1. MS has given up on this gen!

This isn't much of a strategy, and no, the lack of AAA games has nothing to do with trying to align with the release of a PS5. Microsoft simply hasn't been able to leverage much of its already limited in house studios. There's no reason why anyone should believe they can / will turn it around any time soon.

Couldn't Sony make the PS4 Pro their base hardware for "next gen"? And what makes you think the next gen Xbox will be backwards compatible, but the PS5 won't / can't be?

I don't see how "developer familiarity and scaling technology" will at all make a significant difference. The former isn't anywhere near as important as it used to be. Developing against the PS5 shouldn't be any harder than programming against the PS4 / PS4 Pro. Game engines these days are incredibly robust, and can already pull off 4k / "next gen" games (they already run on much more powerful PCs).

Again, the PS4 Pro can be Sony's "cross gen" console as well. Not to mention the PS4s install base is much larger. A "cross gen" console would make it a much easier decision for folks to develop for the PlayStation consoles.

5. Price point***!

Sony could drop the price of the Pro to under cut the X1X. Either way, I don't think Sony needs to worry about having a higher price point than the X1X. The PS5 will be a next gen console - a $100 price difference would be well worth it.

1. Dropping this gen is a strategy because MS wouldn't be wasting resources on X1 which is a dead end system, thus all their focus will be on maximizing the results they can get on X1X exclusives.

2. No PS4 Pro can't be a base next gen console because it's too weak for a next gen system. Also the X1X will be BC with MS's future next gen upgrade because X1X is powerful enough to Be a base next gen system.

PS4 Pro and Base PS4 will have cross gen games, but neither will play next gen PS5 exclusive titles because they are in a totally different class kind of like X1X is to X1 hardware.

3. I don't really get your point here, you're only reinforcing my argument of why there won't be a large gap in visual fidelity between X1X and PS5.

4. Again, PS4 Pro isn't powerful enough to be the base for a next gen system X1X is. Pro can't even do current gen games in native 4k, it would be a terrible crutch going forward like X1 was to to PS3 hardware but worse.

You only have a point in saying it's easier for developers to make cross gen titles, however if it's a cross gen game we are talking about that also applies to X1, Neither of these things really help PS5 for NEXT gen titles though.

MS will be focused on pushing next gen games since X1X will be their base. It will be easier for devs to make NEXT GEN titles for X1X because there will already be an installed base.

Sony having to rely on cross-gen titles out the gate will actually blur PS5's advantage over X1X because MS will be pushing Full next gen games with X1X hardware...while Sony will be pushing development around cross-gen titles to maximize base PS4/Pro lifespan.

5. Again refer to points 2 and 4.

Please stop referencing PS4 Pro as an option for the base hardware of a next gen system, it's ridiculous. 4k is going to be the new base resolution for next gen systems and PS4 Pro can't even do current gen games at 4k, sometimes it's no where near that bar.

I hate to break the news to you but X1X just meets the bar for a next gen system as well, I hope you understand that developers haven't even really scratched what X1X can really do with it be tied to X1 hardware. X1X is capable of far more than we've seen so far and as I've said before in point 3, you aren't going to see a drastic advantage in PS5 games compared to X1X games because of programing and scaling.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@joshrmeyer: PS4 are just as bad, tho it gets very hot were I live 40'C + in the shade, My top loader NES still works too. But with apple I ment how they cross gen there phones making there Old one still useable till a certain point were 90% of people have upgraded to a later model.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gamecubepad

@tgob89:

Sorry, brother. We must accept the truth. MS needs more and better exclusives to compete with Sony and Nintendo. X1X is great, but let's not compare to Switch which arguably already has superior exclusives to what MS produced so far this whole gen. The foundation of the Switch was built on the power of BoTW. That's what Halo was in the past. Bungie was Xbox, not MS. Acceptance is the road to healing.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

OP, if this is what it takes to get you passed the Sea of Thieves flopping, then i won't argue your opinion. It's better to have one less lem on suicide watch.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tgob89
@gamecubepad said:

@tgob89:

Sorry, brother. We must accept the truth. MS needs more and better exclusives to compete with Sony and Nintendo. X1X is great, but let's not compare to Switch which arguably already has superior exclusives to what MS produced so far this whole gen. The foundation of the Switch was built on the power of BoTW. That's what Halo was in the past. Bungie was Xbox, not MS. Acceptance is the road to healing.

Well...that is the point of my thread.

X1X being announced as the base system for the next gen will mean MS can *officially* make EXCLUSIVES for the hardware.

I already believe MS are ALREADY making Exclusives for X1X as we speak, but they can't announce them now because it would expose their plans (refer to points #1 and 2.) going forward and hurt X1/S sales.

I think MS has got the hint that they need exclusives, but they also realize that X1 is a dead end for this generation and that their play anywhere plan suggesting all games would be playable on X1 hardware in the future isn't going to work.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tgob89

@zeggelaar said:

tgob89 marked this as the best answer

All I know is that I own well over 100 games for the 360, I own around 5 for my X1. I own tons for my PS3,I don't own a PS4 yet but there is a ton of games I want to buy. I still game on all my consoles, except my X1. For the most part I personally think that the damage to the Xbox brand has been substantial and potentially irreversable, a console is only as good as the games that are available, most of those games can be played on a PC and lots of PC players have a rig that is more powerful than the X1X so why not use it instead.

Microsoft really needs to branch out from Halo and Gears in my opinion, make exclusives that I can't buy on my PC (Even though I think lots of companies are losing out on piles of cash by not bringing their games to PC.) Approach 3rd party developers with incentives to make exclusives for you. If I can buy it on my PC I won't buy your console when I can just use that money to upgrade my PC.

I don't want the X1X to flop as it hurts gamers as a whole, competition is good for gamers and the industry as a whole, we want choices and access to more games.

Give me more of a reason than just Master Chief to stay with the Xbox or your next console please.

Good post

You outlined most of the problems associated with MS trying to tie all of it's games to multiple systems/services which devalue the primary xbox platform.

This is why it's best for MS to use the X1X and the announcement of next gen to press the reset button on all the mis-steps they've made so far.

With the announcement of a new generation they can effectively make a new direction catered toward the new generation, a direction that may contradict or outright dismiss the direction they were going this generation....in other words dropping Play anywhere!

And it doesn't have to be dropping it entirely, it would just drop it for the new generation so it wouldn't totally contradict their previous promise. Basically, Play Anywhere would only be in effect for Cross-gen games that could also be played on X1/S hardware but exclusives for X1X could ONLY be played on X1X.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gamecubepad

X1X has a slightly overclocked version of the same Jag CPU in Xbox One and PS4. X1X will only receive the games also on Xbox One.

Accept the reality that their "plan" has been to not develop exclusives, but rather to eliminate all exclusives from the Xbox by bringing them to PC.

Next step will be something stupid like, "All Xbox ecosystem exclusives are now F2P/Game Pass!"

Medicinal420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Medicinal420
Member since 2018 • 30 Posts

That sounds like an awful plan. This gen is probably the most important in terms of building a userbase. Going forward everything will be backwards compatible with people wanting to move their libraries to the next system in line. The industry is more service based now than anything.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1847 Posts

@stuff238 said:

So Microsoft’s “plan” is to have no plan, do nothing and then release a new console around the time PS5 comes out?

You just described Microsoft clearly not caring about the Xbox brand and they are just going through the motions at this point. I will not be shocked if they just stop altogether since they have 3 failed consoles and Billions in losses.

If Microsoft were smart, they would do like Sony did with the PS3 and secure lots of exclusives. Even if it won't help now, it'll make a big difference for next gen.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JoshRMeyer

@tgob89: I'm gonna screen shot that and repost it when ps5 releases. Hope you're still here lol. Do you not understand that Sony is a hardware company that has ties to other hardware companies for decades now? Even if you take the Kinect out of the original Xbox One, PS4 was much more powerful and still considerably cheaper, since Sony never took a loss on PS4, and MS did on Xbox One.

"Sony will NOT be able to release a system for $400 and be more powerful than X1X."

You do realize the ps5 will release at least 2 years after the X did right? It'll certainly be more powerful than the X at $400. Look at the Pro. It released a year before X, for $100 cheaper(no loss on hardware unlike the X). Companies will be much more likely to give Sony better bulk deals than they would to MS and that clearly shows in the profit margin of hardware sales of each of the two companies consoles. The CPU in the X will not even compete with the one in PS5. They needed to keep it similar, as did the Pro, to be compatible with the base systems. So yeah, in fall of 2019 or spring 2020, Sony should easily be able to push out a 10 tflop system for $400. Beside the mistake of the early PS3s, what successful console has ever released for more than $400? None. The X hardware is losing MS money... Not sure about the Same model. But both are making money from software. Sony has profit on all hardware, including PSVR (unless the price drop just changed that) plus software. My point is, Sony can get much better deals than MS when building a system. Which will mean the consumer will get more bang for their buck, and the company won't need to take a loss on each sale.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JoshRMeyer

@tgob89: "Nah, people still believe that X1X is nothing but a mid-gen upgrade because that is what MS told everyone when it was announced and the devs are locked to make all games for both X1 and X1X...at least right now."

It can't be considered next gen with that CPU... Just can't. It's laughable it's in there. On the Pro too but at least that was released a year earlier and really was just meant to be a mid-gen upgrade. MS got the GPU and RAM right on the X, but the CPU won't last next gen.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JoshRMeyer

@tgob89: "PS4 Pro can't even do current gen games at 4k, sometimes it's no where near that bar."

PS4 was designed to use checkerboarding for 4k. It'll be plenty strong enough to continue into next gen. No, it won't be doing games at native 4k(besides maybe sports games) and neither will the X. Read up on it on digital foundry. Cerny designed the Pro intentionally to achieve 4k with a 4.2 tflop GPU. As he said it'd take a 8 tflop GPU to really do true 4k.(yes both systems can do true 4k on certain games and both sometimes have to make sacrifices to hit native 4k).

Your thinking is so off on this subject, I'm starting to think you're a fakeboy. If what you are saying actually was true. People are going to hate MS more than they already do. Don't forget the S came out the same time as the X. You can't just abandon it without consequences. You are also acting like the X will have a huge install base when ps5 launches. Not sure why? Barely any reason to get an X. Again, that CPU is trash and X will be in the same boat as the Pro next gen.(X might have prettier textures because of the added RAM and slightly better resolution, but will still be a joke compared to anything next gen.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

And for some of those reasons you listed above, I am likely done with the Xbox brand forever :)

Really like my 2TB launch S model though, I'll keep that forever.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

The PS4 is selling very well, so if SONY is smart, they will wait out MS and force them into revealing their hand first with a next gen console. MS was undoubtedly hoping the X1X would force SONY to rush the PS5 to the market, but that didn't happen, so SONY is in a very good position. They can and SHOULD wait MS out... whether they will or not.. well, that's anyone's guess. The next gen could very well go to the company who waits the other one out. Will MS tough it out? Will SONY get cocky and think it doesn't matter, and reveal first? Time will tell, but one thing is for sure, and that's whatever console wants to come out ahead is going to have to wow their audience with a number of different things, including new IP's, and a willingness to show the consumer that they aren't afraid to take chances, spend money on development, and go head to head with whatever the other can throw at them. Next gen consoles are a lot different then mid gen bumps.... at least in most consumers eyes. Hell, I have been considering getting a PS4 pro or X1X... but what's the point? I can play all the same games... on that note, I will get the PS5 and next Xbox on day one. I know I'm not the only one who was on the fence, but ultimately decided not to pull the trigger.

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nomadic8280
Member since 2017 • 476 Posts

Guaranteed next gen, Phil “Why do you care about 60 FPS” Spencer will be touting 60 FPS on all XB2 games as a key feature. 4K of course.

I mean, it’s not like there wasn’t a resolution bump between 360 and XB1, it’s just MS didn’t think their consumers were smart enough to understand tech talk, so they went with “It’s a voice activated remote for your TV!! Hurrdy friggin durr! We’ll skimp on the processing power to keep the price down cause you stupid assholes are going to lose your minds over the Kinect!” They won’t make that mistake next time. They will be all about resolutions and frame rates. Power, in short. Everyone knows that’s what a next gen system means, but companies feel it’s just not enough if you don’t have “features”, some sort of attempt at an industry changing angle that sets themselves up to look weird or stupid. (Nintendo. MS.)

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

A lot of people are leaving out that the PS5 will have to do VR on top of being BC and convincingly beating the X. That can't be cheap. Unless Sony is just going to screw their customers again like Vita and Move.

The X being a cross Gen console does make sense and something I was thinking when it released. Trust me MS can't wait for this gen to be over and start fresh. Don't forget Phil said they were already working on the next console when X released. 4k HDR and 60fps will be the standard of next gen. Also Xbox will never be the weaker console ever again.

Sony is loving this gen and doubt they care about the power narrative now that they milked it dry. Next gen starts 2021.