MS: Gaming Revenue is Up

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

MS has released their quarterly financial report

The highlights:

Gaming revenue increased by $44 million or 3% to $1.66 billion, driven by higher revenue from software and services

Xbox software and services revenue increased 11%, primarily due to a higher volume of Xbox Live transactions

Xbox hardware revenue decreased 29%, driven by lower prices and a decline in volume of consoles sold

Aside from that, Xbox Live monthly active users grew by 8% to 53 million

Source

So unsurprisingly, X1 sales are down but I guess people are buying games and XBL subscriptions

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

User Lists: 0

#2 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts

Good for MS. I haven't bought much Xbox stuff this year, other than Rare Replay (Which I ended up getting for free through the mixer promotion anyway!) and I got a digital game (Catherine) for $5.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

And people think MSoft is going to give up on a machine that deposits $1.66 billion in revenue quarterly.

Ok.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I'm glad....gaming needs MS to stick around and keep evil Sony honest ;)

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

You're not allowed to post anything positive about MS here.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

How surprising that Xbox reports an increase in MAU.

As far as I recall, MAU has never once decreased. Even during summer months, it keeps going up.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Nice to see them doing well. They've been doing a good number of things that I have found to be quite beneficial to me as a consumer so I wish them continued success and will continue to support them.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Probably because they no longer make games exclusive to the console. It's a win-win for MS since they also own the PC gaming OS. They know it would be a bad move to try and secure exclusive deals since it would eat into their other revenue sources.

...Only Sony has to make dirty exclusive deals to ensure revenue. No one would buy a multi-platform game for PS4 if they have a PC (Or X1X, which I am thinking will be more of a PC alternative).

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

cool

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

Game Pass is going to be great for them. Already got me to spend $10. If someone is new to Xbox it's a no brainer. EA access is going to be another $5 in September for Titanfall 2 and BF1.

Xbox Live is always rocksteady, and have met awesome people from all over the world and had some great laughs and amazing times. Mixer is best streaming experience I have seen as a streamer or as a viewer, and it's growing like crazy!

The services they offer are great and only getting better. You don't need any of them but the options are great to have to maximize the experience.

I hope they finally open up the old Microsoft checkbook and start doing some Real advertising.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Xbox is healthy... sorry cows.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Basinboy

@kuu2: revenue =/= net income. For a company MS' size, margins matter most. And for years MS has hid the actual numbers of the Xbox division within the "More Personal Computing" category; the profit contribution of the Xbox division is obfuscated in MS' reporting. Overall, the category results in a 15% net margin when it's all said and done, which includes Windows OEM, patent licensing, along with Surface, Windows Phone, and search advertising ($40b in revenue in 2016 with $6b in operating income). Meanwhile, cloud services and productivity divisions are near 30% and 45% margins, respectively. It's not a matter of whether gaming is profitable, but profitable enough and worth the opportunity cost.

It's more viable to argue that Xbox represents growth and is inherent in MS' overall strategy for its platforms moving forward. The problem is, how Xbox fits in with and compliments MS' other divisions has been questioned for quite some time.

Personally, I think MS is wise to remain a player in the market due to steep barriers of entry and their capital advantage, but it is not out of the question to assess whether Xbox is worth more being sold than it is remaining in MS' stable.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Xbox Live continues to be the best paid service, so it's no surprise to see the growth. Between GWG and EA Access, I have more games than I know what to do with. Thanks M$!

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

@Basinboy: Dude it adds over 9-11 billion in Revenue a Year! What stock owner in their right mind would say I am invested in the biggest Software company in the world and I don't want them involved in a 100s of billions of dollars industry that they belong in? They are Making Billions! Billions!

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts
@drlostrib said:

MS has released their quarterly financial report

Xbox hardware revenue decreased 29%, driven by lower prices and a decline in volume of consoles sold

Yeeees! X1X won't do shit.

EDIT ; just realized that MAU are down too.

"it's still down on Q2 FY17's 55m active users."

Microsoft reported that there are now 53m active users on Xbox Live as of Q4 FY17

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Xbox is healthy... sorry cows.

You mean subs. But hardware.... BIG NO! And also, MAUs are down compared to Q2

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Basinboy

@the-a-baum: revenue =/= operating profit. For a company MS' size, they're looking for margins and when you mix in Xbox with Window OEM licensing, Patent Licensing, Bing, plus others, they managed 15% for the division. How much is attributable to Xbox is unclear and has been since MS began obfuscating their financials several years ago.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

Probably because they no longer make games exclusive to the console. It's a win-win for MS since they also own the PC gaming OS. They know it would be a bad move to try and secure exclusive deals since it would eat into their other revenue sources.

...Only Sony has to make dirty exclusive deals to ensure revenue. No one would buy a multi-platform game for PS4 if they have a PC (Or X1X, which I am thinking will be more of a PC alternative).

Xbox's original plan was 1st party Windows PC for the living room. Microsoft is fully engaged in selling 1st and 3rd party PC hardware from their store.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Basinboy said:

@the-a-baum: revenue =/= operating profit. For a company MS' size, they're looking for margins and when you mix in Xbox with Window OEM licensing, Patent Licensing, Bing, plus others, they managed 15% for the division. How much is attributable to Xbox is unclear and has been since MS began obfuscating their financials several years ago.

In Q4 2015, Microsoft's Xbox gaming revenue has reached the number 2 position after "Server products, Cloud Services" products.

From http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-microsoft-apple-where-does-the-money-come-from/

Microsoft's Xbox gaming revenue has passed the other two core products such as Windows OEM and Office Commercial.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Basinboy

@ronvalencia said:
@Basinboy said:

@the-a-baum: revenue =/= operating profit.For a company MS' size, they're looking for margins and when you mix in Xbox with Window OEM licensing, Patent Licensing, Bing, plus others, they managed 15% for the division. How much is attributable to Xbox is unclear and has been since MS began obfuscating their financials several years ago.

In Q4 2015, Microsoft's Xbox gaming revenue has reached the number 2 position after "Server products, Cloud Services" products.

From http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-microsoft-apple-where-does-the-money-come-from/

Microsoft's Xbox gaming revenue has passed the other two core products such as Windows OEM and Office Commercial.

See bold above, attempt to process

Also the author doesn't detail his methodology, just that he dug around the 10-Q and to take his word for it. Be mindful as well that Q4 is supposed to be the biggest revenue month for videogames - how it contributes to the overall revenue of the division for the fiscal year, meanwhile, requires crunching the data from their public disclosures and filling the spaces with guesswork. Be mindful that Q4 2016 saw revenue drop $152 million (9%) from Q4 2015 (price drop partially to blame, but I have a hard time imagining that Halo 5 bumped Q4 2015 considerably).

Taking a stab at it, Xbox essentially generates somewhere in the realm of $5 billion in revenue (160m is roughly 10%, so 1.6 billion for Q4 2015 and, hypothesizing, the other quarters probably make twice that combined, so overall $5b for the year). Minus expenses, the 15% margin for the division calculated (again, not knowing the exact margin due to reporting), Xbox approximately earns $750m for the company before taxes. MS reported 18.2 billion in operating income (27.9 in 2016), or in other words, Xbox accounts for less than 5% of MS' operating income.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Pie charts and graphs at this point make me want to puke. Thanks Ron. Thanks for that.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@drlostrib: There is that and looking at my last quarterlies, Xbox movie rentals and sales outpace PSN. Both do respectable but the MS digital movies sales have that across all Windows devices advantage. The only stock i own outperforming MSFT currently is NTDOY albeit i bought Nintendo cheap during the wiiu time.