MS finally acknowledges how poor Kinect is as a controller

This topic is locked from further discussion.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/20/xbox-one-media-remote-announced-by-microsoft/

So after all the talk and speeches about how wonderful and seemlees experience it's to control everything by kinect and its superb voice commands, MS has decided to throw it away and release a remote controller with "buttons on it".

It's not the first time for MS, and won't be the last for sure and it's a matter of time before we see kincet-less Xbone.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Nowhere did they acknowledge that

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@lostrib said:

OP should learn to read

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@lostrib said:

This thread has as much proof in it as that thread talking about MS only wanting generic shooters on their system.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Kinctless SKU at E3.

No questions.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shewgenja

@lostrib said:

@MonsieurX said:

@lostrib said:

OP should learn to read

@treedoor said:

@lostrib said:

This thread has as much proof in it as that thread talking about MS only wanting generic shooters on their system.

Come on.. Like, if this was the stone age and a neighbor showed you fire, would you be the kind of people to try to kill him for witchcraft??

Kinect IS a lousy solution for things like media playback. (Fast forward? Rewinding?)

Welcome to 2014, people. Wave something other than pitchforks and torches when the obvious is right in front of your faces. Go ahead. Just give it a try.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Everyone knew the Kinect was going to be a waste of space, this does feel a bit like Microsoft admitting defeat. Now they just need to swallow their pride and announce a Kinect free model.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Kinctless SKU at E3.

No questions.

Not with this remote it wont be. Kinect is the IR Sensor on the Xbox One.... this remote is actually useless without Kinect.... so whats the point of it?

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@RedentSC said:

@Shewgenja said:

Kinctless SKU at E3.

No questions.

Not with this remote it wont be. Kinect is the IR Sensor on the Xbox One.... this remote is actually useless without Kinect.... so whats the point of it?

Simple solution: Release an Xbone with this remote and a small IR sensor that plugs into the Kinect slot or a USB port for $400 or $350.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@2mrw said:

So after all the talk and speeches about how wonderful and seemlees experience it's to control everything by kinect and its superb voice commands, MS has decided to throw it away and release a remote controller with "buttons on it".

It's not the first time for MS, and won't be the last for sure and it's a matter of time before we see kincet-less Xbone.

lol, uhm you do realize Kinect is needed for this to work, right? So no, silly Cow. :)

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

@bobbetybob said:
@RedentSC said:

@Shewgenja said:

Kinctless SKU at E3.

No questions.

Simple solution: Release an Xbone with this remote and a small IR sensor that plugs into the Kinect slot or a USB port for $400 or $350.

Good solution. You should work for MS.... better then those monkeys

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja

@RedentSC said:

@Shewgenja said:

Kinctless SKU at E3.

No questions.

You serious?!?!! An IR sensor is like 90s technology. There's an infinite number of ways they can go about implementing this.

We're talking about the same company that launched a console with HD graphics with no HDMI port. Lord have mercy!

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shawn30
@Shewgenja said:

@lostrib said:

@MonsieurX said:

@lostrib said:

OP should learn to read

@treedoor said:

@lostrib said:

Come on.. Like, if this was the stone age and a neighbor showed you fire, would you be the kind of people to try to kill him for witchcraft??

Kinect IS a lousy solution for things like media playback. (Fast forward? Rewinding?)

Welcome to 2014, people. Wave something other than pitchforks and torches when the obvious is right in front of your faces. Go ahead. Just give it a try.

I enjoy Kinect a great deal and use it daily. And while I'm sure every ones experience isn't my own, I'd say 80% of the time my controls work fine. Kinect will be constantly updated same as the OS and it'll get better. But right now to say its obvious something doens't work or is useless holds no weight if you dont use it on a day to day basis. Now you are right in that the FF and Rewind commands need work. No doubt there. But there are aspects of Kinect that work fantastic like Xbox Fitness, Upload Studio, Skype, game pause, Snap, and navigating the OS. My 3 buds are using it on a regular basis and after a learning curve are all saying its working very good for them. Again, not everyone will have that experience but I know I am and for those that aren't I question if they understand the right way to say commands and calibrate Kinect.

@2mrw said:

lol, uhm you do realize Kinect is needed for this to work, right? So no, silly Cow. :)

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

@Shewgenja:

Correct me if I am wrong but the xbox could play games in 1080p through component and hdmi wasn't needed. Hdmi was needed for hd dvd playback at 1080p because of security issues. Over component hd DVD was limited to 720p and also 1080i I believe. Games though were not an issue up to 1080p on component.

Correct me if I am wrong but the Xbox although using component cables could send a full 1080p feed to your tv. It's when movie playback with the add on hddvd that it could not due to needing the hdmi for security. I think it output up to 720p and 1080i over component with hddvd player.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

This is not a good thread.

Did you notice that the new remote is actually meant to work with the Kinect IR Blaster?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Well M$, you win some and you lose some.

My buddy disconnected his Kinect and put in back in the Xbox box, maybe he'll pull it out if he buys this remote...although I'm sure he would prefer a remote that doesn't require Kinect as he's very disillusioned. Buttons work 100% of the time he pushes them on his controllers the last two decades, the new touted super voice controls just didn't cut the mustard 100% of the time. He got about 70% it would work, but the annoying 30% of the time him repeating himself, it drove him mad.

Releasing this remote muddles the messaging over how far advanced (supposedly) the Xbone's voice and gesture control is. Kinect's big selling point was it was supposed to replace the need for buttons. It was the future! Weren’t you the controller? Yes, Your body and voice are the controller. The only controller you need. I suppose all controllers need buttons.

On the flip side, options are nice especially for consumers like my friend.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 2mrw

@MonsieurX said:

@lostrib said:

OP should learn to read

I know how to read :) .... my point was they released a peripheral with physical buttons to assist kinect at what it should be doing without it !!!

What does this tell you?!

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 2mrw

@treedoor said:

@lostrib said:

You totally didn't get the point of the other thread it seems, so no need to discuss this further.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

They should have release kinect separate again. PS4 camera selling for double price because so much demand and right now only use is streaming and dance game.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsieurX

@2mrw said:

@MonsieurX said:

@lostrib said:

OP should learn to read

I know how to read :) .... my point was they released a peripheral with physical buttons to assist kinect at what it should be doing without it !!!

Assist kinect?

It's just a god damn remote

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 2mrw

@MonsieurX said:

@2mrw said:

@MonsieurX said:

@lostrib said:

OP should learn to read

Assist kinect?

It's just a god damn remote

This is the point .... the whole campaign of MS was to advertise kinect as a universal controller that would solely control everything .... apparently it can't so MS decided to release an assist to it.

hoyalawya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 hoyalawya
Member since 2014 • 344 Posts

I have seen a lot of the Comcast xFinity commercials on TV recently for voice control through phones & tablets. Microsoft should have be making bigger deals on how their vision for Xbox One as a the media hub.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Works fine for me....I don't need the media remote.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Seems like they are going in two directions... why do you need a remote if the voice and gesture commands are so good?

Based on the price of it they are just trying to rip people off anyway...

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Confused, why do you need a media remote when you can do it all from your xbox controller?

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#26 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

Everyone knew the Kinect was going to be a waste of space, this does feel a bit like Microsoft admitting defeat. Now they just need to swallow their pride and announce a Kinect free model.

yes, with a 150 dollars SUPER TV REMOTE included

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

They just announced a remote for movies. Just like the PS2,XBOX,PS3,360 have remotes.

Thats one hell of a spin you did on that article.

But at the same time I see why you said it tho. Kinect is supposed to be that hands-free remote that can do all those services and comands.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@shawn30:

Xbox Fitness. Huh? Well hooray for soccer moms everywhere still trying to lose that baby fat when little Timmy isn't playing COD. There is this wonderful invention called gym equipment and unlike Kinect, its not a gimmick.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Murderstyle75

@Shewgenja:

Comparing a motion gimmick to the invention of fire? You guys really are that brainwashed. Aren't you. Most of us just want to play video games with our trusty gamepads. What's Xbox going to do next? Turn on my coffee pot and start my car?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

The remote is meant to complement Kinect, not replace it. It does not interest me because Kinect works very well with media apps like Netflix and Xbox Video, it's just easier and faster to say "Xbox Pause, Play" for example than reaching for the controller(especially since the controller turns off after around 15 min. of inactivity, so it sucks to have to turn it back on just to pause a movie.) .

However, I've seen people express interest in it for various reasons.....you're playing at night and you don't want to make noise with voice commands, or your kids are being too loud and voice commands are not an option, etc. It's a 25$ device for those who want it and the 360 also had one if I'm not mistaken. It's amazing how every bit of X1 news gets bashed on this board, though it's mostly entertaining in some respects.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shawn30

@Murderstyle75 said:

@shawn30:

Xbox Fitness. Huh? Well hooray for soccer moms everywhere still trying to lose that baby fat when little Timmy isn't playing COD. There is this wonderful invention called gym equipment and unlike Kinect, its not a gimmick.

Lol, why get gym equipment when you have Xbox Fitness already? Me and the wife work out to stay in shape. Some people like to stay in shape, while others want to go further and with some 20+ free Fitness programs it works very well. Hey, if you don't like it oh well, but no need to be a dick about it. Your immaturity is funny though. Kinect does a number of things very well and I enjoy using it. I see great potential in it, from walking into a room to turn on my entire entertainment system to navigating through my apps to voice command Xbox Record that, Skype, and Snap. It cracks me up how you try to make yourself look like a somebody cause you only want a game system, and yet attempt to belittle someone elses opinion about a product you don't even like. That makes you look really small and childish. Go somewhere and talk about games only you big tough guy, lol.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@shawn30:

@shawn30 said:

@Murderstyle75 said:

@shawn30:

Lol, why get gym equipment when you have Xbox Fitness already? Me and the wife work out to stay in shape. Some people like to stay in shape, while others want to go further and with some 20+ free Fitness programs it works very well. Hey, if you don't like it oh well, but no need to be a dick about it. Your immaturity is funny though. Kinect does a number of things very well and I enjoy using it. I see great potential in it, from walking into a room to turn on my entire entertainment system to navigating through my apps to voice command Xbox Record that, Skype, and Snap. It cracks me up how you try to make yourself look like a somebody cause you only want a game system, and yet attempt to belittle someone elses opinion about a product you don't even like. That makes you look really small and childish. Go somewhere and talk about games only you big tough guy, lol.

The fitness aspect of the Kinect is actually one of the cooler things, I started using it during long game sessions because playing a game for 6 hours straight is plain bad for the body, but I'm too lazy to stop in the middle and go outside to the gym, but with Kinect it was a small compromise where after 2 hours of playtime I would do a session and get a small workout, better than nothing. Certainly does not replace the gym but gives you a cool little workout on those days where you really don't feel like going out to the gym, but at the same time you would like a little workout......who doesn't like a nice endorphin rush?

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Murderstyle75

@shawn30:

Why get gym equipment? Because gym equpment works a lot better. Or of course unless athletes everywhere are using Kinect now.

And I'm not being a dick about anything. You Lems have been shoving this shit down our throats for a long time now. There is a reason so many of us have left the Xbox platform and its because gaming comes last and gsming on the platform has suffered as a result.

Do you want to know who I'm playing PS4 with? Most of my old Xbox friends who have been on my list since 2002/2003. These guys were all Beta Testers and two time launch owners. Just a few years ago, none of us would have ever thought of owning a Playstation over an Xbox.

Your Kinect wouldn't be such a bad thing if it didn't take priority over "EVERYTHING" else. X1 could have been a powerful gaming system and Kinect could have been a nice add on for people who want it. But to keep the price down with the current model, its the hardware that had to take a back seat. Really sucks that I have thousands in my pocket right now from taxes and only own one next gen console. In my 25 years of buying my own consoles, that has never happened until this gen.

And WTF makes your opinion the right one? Because your fangod told you that's how Xbox is supposed to be? Even members of the original Xbox staff have said the people in charge now don't know jack shit about gaming. They made a platform full of gimmicks, services and marketing to imitation gamers from generation Z.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So if X1 is suppose to get rid of all of your remotes, why are they selling a new one?

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Microsoft continues to milk lemmings. Maybe they don't need a large user base when they can milk a small amount of fools dry....

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MonsieurX

@StrongBlackVine said:

Microsoft continues to milk lemmings. Maybe they don't need a large user base when they can milk a small amount of fools dry....

Someone forgot why cows got their name in the first place

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidTy

@MonsieurX said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

That was a few generations ago, strange how over time the tables turn. Last generation the names didn't make sense, and now this gen it still looks to be off.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@MonsieurX said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

That was a few generations ago, strange how over time the tables turn. Last generation the names didn't make sense, and now this gen it still looks to be off.

Nope, Sony is still the master of milkage

http://amzn.com/B00F27JGVA

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts
@Alucard_Prime said:

The remote is meant to complement Kinect, not replace it. It does not interest me because Kinect works very well with media apps like Netflix and Xbox Video, it's just easier and faster to say "Xbox Pause, Play" for example than reaching for the controller(especially since the controller turns off after around 15 min. of inactivity, so it sucks to have to turn it back on just to pause a movie.) .

However, I've seen people express interest in it for various reasons.....you're playing at night and you don't want to make noise with voice commands, or your kids are being too loud and voice commands are not an option, etc. It's a 25$ device for those who want it and the 360 also had one if I'm not mistaken. It's amazing how every bit of X1 news gets bashed on this board, though it's mostly entertaining in some respects.

The thing is though the Kinect is not just voice commands, you should be able to gesture commands if you don't want to shout at it repeatedly to do something so the not making a noise thing should be a non issue.

This is not complementing it at all, it's mostly bypassing it's two main functions.

But yes maybe we are being total fucking trolls and are bashing it because it's flavour of the month. I just mostly see it as Microsoft trying to sell people something (over priced in my opinion). I'm sure some Chinese companies will knock out cheaper copies of it or people will use their universal remotes so all is good.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SolidTy

@mems_1224 said:

@SolidTy said:

@MonsieurX said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

I disagree because you didn't cite anything on the 360 side, even though I do agree that's Vita milkage. 360 Console vs. PS3 Console was what I was referring, since handhelds are a different beast and Xbox doesn't even have one. Entering the handhelds though, I can play along. What we see is combining the Vita and PS3 with just the measly old Xbox 360, not exactly fair two systems against one system, but it was your approach.

That is a great example of milkage with the Vita (indeed), after all we all spoke about Vita cards in SW for many, many years since it's launch so it's hard to forget. When one thinks of Vita in SW, they immediately think of pricey memory cards...but even the milkage of Vita memory cards are not enough to top the amount of milkage we saw with 360.

I don't want to spam pics, but you can imagine I'd put in $199 HD-DVD to play and charge kits to 360 extra kit batteries to 360 two different remotes to 360 memory cards to 360 $150 Kinect to $100 360 Wifi to $100 360 new Wifi to 360 various official headsets to Xbox Live Camera to $60 a annual Xbox Live itself, to the multiple overpriced $100+ 360 HDDs, et cetera.

I'll post the proprietary 360 HDD pic (there were A LOT of different super high priced 360 HDDs released over the years) since it's in relation to a handheld Vita memory card picture. I paid for all this stuff on 360, so I'm well aware of the milkage. Sony has some catching up to do. The Vita's major example of milkage is the memory cards, but that's the worst example. After that the Vita tapers off in milkage when looking at how the 360 operated (2005-2014).

Milkage:

360>Vita

360>PS3

360> PS3 + Vita

Last generation M$ mastered the art of milkage Sony showed them with the PS2. They took that page out of the PS playbook and took it to an extreme. They even licensed the third parties peripherals, the first console company to make that mandatory.

If you remove the Vita since there is no Xbox handheld, citing examples of milkage for 360 vs. PS3, it's not even close. 360 wins by a large margin. The PS2 vs. the 360, 360 still wins, but it's a closer battle. Combining the Vita and PS3 as examples of milkage vs. one 360, 360 still wins. M$ mastered milkage last generation. This generation it remains to be seen.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@lostrib said:

@MonsieurX said:

@lostrib said:

OP should learn to read

@treedoor said:

@lostrib said:

Are you trying to refute what they said?

MS didn't "acknowledge how poor kinect is as a controller". Period. Even though we all know that it's a piece of shit, MS didn't come right out and say it, as the OP is trying to imply. And that is what the posts you quoted are calling the OP out for.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

@SolidTy: yes indeed! The 360 WiFi adaptor was a ripoff. It was just a wireless G mind you.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SolidTy

Yes, EZ.

Since I owned two 360s at launch, I bought two of those $100 Wifi pieces, I remember talking in SW back in 2005 about that $200 I spent back then. Very pricey 360 launch once the dust settled.

I got over the amount of milkage done over the years, but M$ elevated it to a new level for sure. I'm over it, it's long past and there's been probably 10,000 threads on it so I thought it was a dead issue. I guess that Vita terrible Memory card pricing, while a good example of milkage, somehow overshadowed the sheer amount of milkage we saw from 2005-2014.

No, M$'s 360 can't be topped, I don't think. Not even by the Xbone. It's a whole new ball game.

@EZs said:

@SolidTy: yes indeed! The 360 WiFi adaptor was a ripoff. It was just a wireless G mind you.

@SolidTy said:

@mems_1224 said:

I disagree because you didn't cite anything on the 360 side, even though I do agree that's Vita milkage. 360 Console vs. PS3 Console was what I was referring, since handhelds are a different beast and Xbox doesn't even have one. Entering the handhelds though, I can play along. What we see is combining the Vita and PS3 with just the measly old Xbox 360, not exactly fair two systems against one system, but it was your approach.

That is a great example of milkage with the Vita (indeed), after all we all spoke about Vita cards in SW for many, many years since it's launch so it's hard to forget. When one thinks of Vita in SW, they immediately think of pricey memory cards...but even the milkage of Vita memory cards are not enough to top the amount of milkage we saw with 360.

I don't want to spam pics, but you can imagine I'd put in $199 HD-DVD to play and charge kits to 360 extra kit batteries to 360 two different remotes to 360 memory cards to 360 $150 Kinect to $100 360 Wifi to $100 360 new Wifi to 360 various official headsets to Xbox Live Camera to $60 a annual Xbox Live itself, to the multiple overpriced $100+ 360 HDDs, et cetera.

I'll post the proprietary 360 HDD pic (there were A LOT of different super high priced 360 HDDs released over the years) since it's in relation to a handheld Vita memory card picture. I paid for all this stuff on 360, so I'm well aware of the milkage. Sony has some catching up to do. The Vita's major example of milkage is the memory cards, but that's the worst example. After that the Vita tapers off in milkage when looking at how the 360 operated (2005-2014).

Milkage:

360>Vita

360>PS3

360> PS3 + Vita

Last generation M$ mastered the art of milkage Sony showed them with the PS2. They took that page out of the PS playbook and took it to an extreme. They even licensed the third parties peripherals, the first console company to make that mandatory.

If you remove the Vita since there is no Xbox handheld, citing examples of milkage for 360 vs. PS3, it's not even close. 360 wins by a large margin. The PS2 vs. the 360, 360 still wins, but it's a closer battle. Combining the Vita and PS3 as examples of milkage vs. one 360, 360 still wins. M$ mastered milkage last generation. This generation it remains to be seen.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Kinect is and always was shit and i cant believe how many people are here defending it, MS really have done a job on you guys.