MS demos muscle-controlled games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wayne_kar
Member since 2009 • 2090 Posts

"Boffins at Microsoft have worked out a way to control games using the muscle movements in your forearm.

These are read by a thin armband concealed under a jumper or shirt that is always on, allowing seamless interaction with games consoles, iPods and, er, car boots.

Demoedon Microsoft's Research site(spotted byEngadget), the device reads EMG (electromyographic) signals from muscles and maps them to familiar movements - pressing a finger to a thumb - to replicate routine functions or commands.

One lab-rat strummed away happily to Guitar Hero without any plastic peripheral, twanging air while using fingers pressed against thumb to work the fret. We also saw a jogger using hand gestures rather than buttons to change songs, and a man clench the handle of a baby carrier to open a car boot."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-demos-muscle-controlled-games

Yeah!!! i can see where this will go....

Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts
Sounds good, would be interesting to see it combined with Natal. Still I expect some PS3 fanboys will bash it all the same, mainly because Sony didn't come up with this.
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

All I can say is....

....what an amazing rat! ;)

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20279 Posts

As opposed to putting reaserach into a console so RROD doesn't happen anymore :P

Just kidding, but seriously what's wrong with a controller?

EDIT: My question was somewhat answered above. I guess it could be used by people with mobility issues. But it still think a controller will be the simpler route.

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
It looks really interesting and a cool concept especially if it could be combined with Natal and even used for people with mobility problems but as guitarsrock4eva said, cows are gonna bash this cause it's MS and not Sony who came up with it
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
eh wont catch along this gen.......id rather stick with a controller and keyboard and mouse
Patatopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Patatopan
Member since 2008 • 1890 Posts

Wow, is that for real?

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

As opposed to putting reaserach into a console so RROD doesn't happen anymore :P

Zero_epyon

The argument goes that the controller is a device for physical interaction with a console. It has limited function and one type does not suit all.

Give people a device that they are all used to, all have, costs virtually nothing, rarelybreaks, doesn't use batteries, is wirelessand completely versatile. What fits that better than your arms/body.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Between Natal and this it is just mind blowing and scary seeing how far gaming has come. Just think this may be next gen and this stuff is the type of stuff in sci-fi movies.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CanYouDiglt
eh wont catch along this gen.......id rather stick with a controller and keyboard and mousestereointegrity
Forget a controller I would LOVE to be inside the game instead of watching on TV. Stuff like this shows we are getting close.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

1080pOnly

The argument goes that the controller is a device for physical interaction with a console. It has limited function and one type does not suit all.

Give people a device that they are all used to, all have, costs virtually nothing, rarely breaks, doesn't use batteries, is wirelessand completely versatile. What fits that better than your arms/body.

I edited my post before you replied. I see what you're saying but for certain games it may not be practical. I'm not a fan of motion controls at all whether it be the wii, the wands or Natal. Not saying it's going to be bad just don't see why so much attention is being put into this sort of thing.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zero_epyon
[QUOTE="guitarsrock4eva"]Sounds good, would be interesting to see it combined with Natal. Still I expect some PS3 fanboys will bash it all the same, mainly because Sony didn't come up with this.

Funny though how both Sony and Microsoft have jumped onto this controllerless gaming though. I wonder if it's because they were shamed by the wii?
wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wayne_kar
Member since 2009 • 2090 Posts
[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

Zero_epyon

Give people a device that they are all used to, all have, costs virtually nothing, rarely breaks, doesn't use batteries, is wirelessand completely versatile. What fits that better than your arms/body.

I edited my post before you replied. I see what you're saying but for certain games it may not be practical. I'm not a fan of motion controls at all whether it be the wii, the wands or Natal. Not saying it's going to be bad just don't see why so much attention is being put into this sort of thing.

its called R&D. companies spend millions on it.
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
[QUOTE="stereointegrity"]eh wont catch along this gen.......id rather stick with a controller and keyboard and mouseCanYouDiglt
Forget a controller I would LOVE to be inside the game instead of watching on TV. Stuff like this shows we are getting close.

as would i but i dont think this tech is ready....
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

wayne_kar

I understand. Just don't think it should be such a priority. My opinion though. I'd rather be hearing them researching technology for their next console.

iluvmachines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iluvmachines
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts
i gotta admit i would like to try natal at least once... just to see if works. and to some extent it looks fun.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="wayne_kar"][QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] I edited my post before you replied. I see what you're saying but for certain games it may not be practical. I'm not a fan of motion controls at all whether it be the wii, the wands or Natal. Not saying it's going to be bad just don't see why so much attention is being put into this sort of thing.Zero_epyon

I understand. Just don't think it should be such a priority. My opinion though. I'd rather be hearing them researching technology for their next console.

Do you understand how big Microsoft is?? If not for legal reasons and for some reason they wanted to they could buy Sony two different times. They have the money to spend on more then one thing one researching. Also who knows in 2 years this could be in the next X-Box or at least a couple years after the next X-Box like how Natal is.
Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts
[QUOTE="guitarsrock4eva"]Sounds good, would be interesting to see it combined with Natal. Still I expect some PS3 fanboys will bash it all the same, mainly because Sony didn't come up with this.Zero_epyon
Funny though how both Sony and Microsoft have jumped onto this controllerless gaming though. I wonder if it's because they were shamed by the wii?

When did they get rid of the Wii's controllers? Sony have jumped onto what the Wii has been doing. Microsoft have been looking for ways of gaming without controllers at all.
iluvmachines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iluvmachines
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts
[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="guitarsrock4eva"]Sounds good, would be interesting to see it combined with Natal. Still I expect some PS3 fanboys will bash it all the same, mainly because Sony didn't come up with this.guitarsrock4eva

When did they get rid of the Wii's controllers? Sony WANTS TO IMPROVE on what the Wii has been doing. Microsoft have been looking for ways of gaming without controllers at all.

fixed!
Gta3-fan334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Gta3-fan334
Member since 2004 • 1499 Posts

Meh. Now if the game were mind controlled.....that would be cool and useful. :)

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts

[QUOTE="wayne_kar"][QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] I edited my post before you replied. I see what you're saying but for certain games it may not be practical. I'm not a fan of motion controls at all whether it be the wii, the wands or Natal. Not saying it's going to be bad just don't see why so much attention is being put into this sort of thing.Zero_epyon

I am sure a company doesn't spend all their R&D money on one thing, they probably split it into some different things. I actually like the fact they arent doing research in next gen consoles (as far as we know) because this gen still has a lot of power left
G-O-M-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 G-O-M-J
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
Its cool to see microsoft innovating.
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

where is all the MS hate?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zero_epyon

gamer-adam1
Controllerless gaming isn't fully developed yet so there isn't much to hate. I'm not of fan of this technology but it shouldn't stop others from enjoying it.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Sounds so lame ha, just continue focusing on brining new IPs MS ... please.

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

Sounds so lame ha, just continue focusing on brining new IPs MS ... please.

W1NGMAN-
MS isn't only in the business of making games. games would only be on application for this tech.
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts
[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

Zero_epyon
Controllerless gaming isn't fully developed yet so there isn't much to hate. I'm not of fan of this technology but it shouldn't stop others from enjoying it.

I don't think its for gaming use
Avatar image for batman_is_aweso
batman_is_aweso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 batman_is_aweso
Member since 2009 • 2762 Posts

interested