Most Surprising GOTY Contenders

#1 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (5768 posts) -

At the start of this year I never thought it'd be possible for a Rabbid to be in a GOTY contender. While I don't think it'll take any awards (Zelda & Mario are/look too good) I won't be surprised to see it nominated at a bunch of sites. It has that "one more level" feel to it that just keeps me coming back.

What have your surprise GOTY contenders been?

#3 Posted by DrRollinstein (1158 posts) -

Remasters count right? Normally I'd say no, but Dragons Dogma comes out next month and deserves the recognition it didnt get upon its initial release.

#4 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (9768 posts) -

Player Unknown's Battlegrounds sort of came out of nowhere, at least to me. Isn't it getting its official release this year?

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (28548 posts) -

Even though I haven't played it yet I'd have to say that Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is one I find most surprising. I never did care for the Rabbids and when I first heard of this game I gave it very little thought. However seeing it in action ever since E3 I have been quite impressed with it. I'm very much looking forward to actually playing when I get a Switch which will hopefully be soon. I'd like to get one before Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 come out.

#6 Posted by cainetao11 (36829 posts) -

PUBG without a doubt. It has taken gaming by storm. 10 million sold already.

Prey is another imo. The GS staff are dung reviewers.

#7 Posted by NoirLamia777 (3180 posts) -

So far Nioh and Mario + Rabbids for me (Aside from the obvious Zelda and Horizon choices).

#8 Posted by spike6958 (6701 posts) -

Mario + Rabbids was a concept I hated when I first heard of it, now it's currently my GotY. This more than Zelda or anything else, made me glad to be a Switch owner.

#9 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

At the start of this year I never thought it'd be possible for a Rabbid to be in a GOTY contender. While I don't think it'll take any awards (Zelda & Mario are/look too good) I won't be surprised to see it nominated at a bunch of sites. It has that "one more level" feel to it that just keeps me coming back.

What have your surprise GOTY contenders been?

I dont know if its surpise or not but for quite a while now i have Nier:automata as GOTY.

#10 Posted by BassMan (10668 posts) -

Hollow Knight. Amazing game.

Loading Video...

#11 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (5768 posts) -

@BassMan: still waiting for the god damn Switch version.

#12 Posted by BassMan (10668 posts) -

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@BassMan: still waiting for the god damn Switch version.

You will love it. :)

#13 Posted by PsychoLemons (3180 posts) -

Knack II. Don't lie, people are raving it.

Loading Video...

#14 Posted by PopGotcha (716 posts) -

PUBG would be my first guess. Prey seems very solid. Haven't really played much else this year :(

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#15 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4939 posts) -

nioh and yakuza 0 have surpassed every other game i played this year

In fact those 2 are the only games i enjoyed out of all the big releases.(haven't played persona 5 yet)

#16 Posted by sukraj (27859 posts) -

Horizon zero dawn GOTY

#17 Edited by KungfuKitten (26799 posts) -

Prey came kind of out of nowhere. And Superhot VR was way better than I expected.

And the Rabbids game yes. Before we saw footage I pretty much disqualified that game and it's actually pretty good.

I play PuBG but I don't think it cuts it. It's too much of an incomplete game right now. Very unpolished both in graphics, animation and in gameplay/content. It's really cool and I hope it's a genre (and game) that will keep improving over time but I consider that more of a twitch hit than an actual fantastic game as it stands right now. And that's not because of the concept but the very rough edges and just a lack of variation (that they've been adding to since last time I played so... who knows where it ends up by the end of the year).

#18 Edited by t0rtured0ct0r (20 posts) -

Horizon Zero Dawn deserves it. If PUBG was released already I would say that though. All anyone is talking about.

#19 Posted by TheEroica (18467 posts) -

If horizon beats Zelda for GOTY it'll be a gaming tragedy...

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#20 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24461 posts) -

I wonder if the people who say Kingdom Battle have played any of the XCOM games??

#21 Posted by Jag85 (13636 posts) -

Plenty of GOTY contenders this year have been surprises. For example:

Zelda's comeback to the top with BOTW.

Persona 5, a turn-based JRPG, becoming one of the year's highest-rated games.

PUBG, a battle royale game, becoming the year's best-seller.

Horizon, a new IP from Killzone developer Guerilla, turning out to be a great open-world game.

Team Ninja's comeback with Nioh, a new IP.

Nier Automata turning Nier into a hit series.

#22 Posted by madsnakehhh (16430 posts) -

I think Mario & Rabbids are the sleeper hit of the year... nobody in their wildest dreams could have guessed this was going to be a good idea or concept for a game...and Bam... Ubisoft actually made something different and extremely interesting with this game. I doubt it will win the big price on GS but still, what a sleeper hit.

#25 Posted by TheEroica (18467 posts) -

@KungfuKitten: exactly my thoughts. Zelda winning hundreds of GOTY awards is like my last hope in gaming that our desire for game design to reign Supreme is still in tact.

I could not possibly be more fatigued with conversations about graphics and performance... Stfu and look at how we play these games!

#26 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (5768 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: I never did, but I will now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
#27 Posted by deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20 (82724 posts) -

It'll be Metroid

Avatar image for deactivated-5a726f07c989c
#28 Edited by deactivated-5a726f07c989c (248 posts) -

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

#29 Edited by texasgoldrush (12936 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Plenty of GOTY contenders this year have been surprises. For example:

Zelda's comeback to the top with BOTW.

Persona 5, a turn-based JRPG, becoming one of the year's highest-rated games.

PUBG, a battle royale game, becoming the year's best-seller.

Horizon, a new IP from Killzone developer Guerilla, turning out to be a great open-world game.

Team Ninja's comeback with Nioh, a new IP.

Nier Automata turning Nier into a hit series.

Only Zelda really has a shot on that list.

Persona 5 is too niche and it has problems, PURG is not finished, Horizon was basically hushed by Zelda, Nier is also too niche, and Nioh was released too early.

Mario Odyssey is the only game that can take a shot at Zelda right now, and maybe Middle Earth shadow of war. The latter should finish off Horizon's GOTY chances.

#30 Posted by wolverine4262 (20832 posts) -

nier, Sonic Mania

#31 Posted by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

@travis_lawlor said:

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

This.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a726f07c989c
#32 Posted by deactivated-5a726f07c989c (248 posts) -

@iandizion713: yes

#33 Posted by djoffer (1453 posts) -

While I love kingdom battle, Zelda is imo so far ahead of the rest of the pack that talking about other contenders for goty is laughable at this point... only potential other sleeper hit in 2017 is Divinity 2 and think that's to niche to do much about Zelda