nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41584 Posts

Watching Game Sack's recent Polarizing Games episode makes me think, what are the most polarizing games you've played? And do you like them?

For me:

Sonic Unleashed - Oh boy, the polarizing views on this one are, to say the least, a mindfuck. Critically, the HD version (PS3/360) was reviewed lower than the SD version (PS2/Wii), but there's another on the gamers side of things that say otherwise, with so few agreeing with the critics. For me, I'm happy with my Wii version as the extras found in the HD version really don't make me want to rebuy for the 360.

Star Fox Adventures and Assault - Keeping in mind, I still haven't played Command and Zero yet, but I actually like what these two tried to do. Adventures was a solid Zelda clone and Assault feels like it tried to improve where Rogue Squadron III failed in a certain gameplay mechanics (even though RS III is still a superior game overall).

Zelda II - Looking back, I can see why people hated this one, but it was one I actually enjoyed as well. Never did beat it though (at least it spawned one of the best AVGN moments).

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

This is rather hard to answer, since pretty much every game has gamers who love it and others who hate it. I have a weird taste, so I guess many of the games I love are polarizing. Games like Katamari, Dynasty Warriors or pretty much every SRPG. Other genres would fit the polarizing as well, like Sims (the genre, not the game), Fighters or MOBAs

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44584 Posts

Two favourites of mine were Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy VIII.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

I liked FFXV even though everybody hated it. The story was a trainwreck but graphics, gameplay, soundtrack(and the option to play other Final Fantasy soundtracks) were all on point. I still look forward to the updates and I'm pretty sure I'm far from being done even if I haven't played not once since I beat it.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Recently Zelda Breath of the Wild. I see people here either love it or hate it. I love it personally.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@vaidream45: It's not polarizing at all. Most people love it and it's critcally acclaimed. A minority hate it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70500 Posts

@vaidream45 said:

Recently Zelda Breath of the Wild. I see people here either love it or hate it. I love it personally.

I think you are confusing people viewing it as grossly overrated to hating the game.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

ZombiU- I enjoyed most of the game, thought the atmosphere was good. Very mixed opinions out there on that game though.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

I guess I'd have to go with Street Fighter V. Personally, I believe there are only two types of good single player modes in fighting games.

-A fully featured training mode to prepare yourself for the real meat of the game: vs mode.

-Trial mode for each of the cast members.

Street Fighter V nails those aspects and has fantastic fighting game mechanics. It's not perfect, but compared to a lot of the other popular fighting games out right now, it's a step above the rest. Mostly because I favour footsies above all else and Street Fighter seems to have a stronger focus on that than most still.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59382 Posts

Probably Postal 2. It knowingly sets out to be trash hoping to exploit sensationalist media, and it succeeds. Everyone who complains about it inadvertently props it up, helping it's trash rep and sales.

The game itself is unadulterated fun. Pig shit encouraging you to roll around in it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8473 Posts

Duke Nukem Forever. I played through the entire game because I was entertained by how bad it was.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#13 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

At its time, Final Fantasy XII was polarizing and I adored it.

I don't know if I'd call Castlevania: Lords of Shadow polarizing but that game is special to me.

I've talked about Halo 5 before, too. Multiplayer is on point but campaign was lackluster in a lot of ways. It's a game I enjoy greatly while also being one I'm disappointed in.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:

ZombiU- I enjoyed most of the game, thought the atmosphere was good. Very mixed opinions out there on that game though.

Nah, most of the opinions were negative. It was a crap game. Lol

EDIT: That is if we discount all of the Nintendo magazine website reviews. Of course they are going to rave about it.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Not too many considering I usually spend money on games that got 70% or above on the metacritic/opencritic meter. Ever since I was a kid reading Game Informer back in 2003 I thought it was a no-brainer to only buy games if critics said they were good, otherwise you're out $60 for something that looked cool initially but actually sucked.

Anyways, recently it was Street Fighter V because I'm trying to get better at fighting games (and Chun-Li is my waifu) but also F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate (expansion to F.E.A.R. back in 2005) from way back because I love that old game and bonus F.E.A.R. missions is awesome!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17885 Posts

probably monster hunter. i love it (though on paper i should hate it) but i can easily see why people would hate it.

i dont really see many "its ok".

people will either talk about it like they do something like dark souls (another marmite series. hell opinions of the various games in the series can differ greatly. like with DS 2). the nuanced combat. the intricate monster behaviour. the punishing difficulty (though the difficulty curve has been smoothed out which is nice).

or they will think its an absolutely illogical piece of badly designed trash.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@drummerdave9099 said:

EDIT: That is if we discount all of the Nintendo magazine website reviews. Of course they are going to rave about it.

It got a 9/10 from Eurogamer and a 4.5/10 on Gamespot, how is that not polarizing lol!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70500 Posts

My vote goes to Prey. That games was great. I almost had the urge to play it again for the third time.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Does Destiny count? Because I guess that's the most polarizing game I've played. It's a total shit barrel in my opinion and every bit as deserving of the negativity it got, in fact it should have gotten more. Because it's often said that the problem wit hthat game is the lack of content, but **** that, it's not the lack of content. It's the lack of depth n mission variation that ruins that game. Other than "how the guns feel" it does everything worse than Halo as a game, but with all the things that were wrong with Halo that bungie never fixed.

The Library which is universally despised as a Halo level, one of its fundamental issues is that often during that level this floating AI ball thing will go scan some shit to open some shit, and you have to hold off waves of enemies, and that becomes tedious. Bungie's fucking listen from the criticism of that level, was make an entire fucking game that played that way, because every mission in Destiny is go here, scan a thing, fight off a wave of enemies.

This studio made Silent Cartographer, the opening Halo level, The Two Scarabs sequence, Tsavo Highway, what the **** happened?

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

SW hates FC2 but it was one of my favorite games in ast gen.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#21 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Ghost Recon Wildlands.

People either really like it or really hate it.

I understand the criticism about it being not tactical yada yada, but I think the people that actually enjoy the game compensate for it by grouping with players that actually play the game tactically. There's lots of Clubs and LFG posts on Xbox looking for tactical/stealth players. The game when played co-op is a lot different than when you play it solo. There no AI sync shots etc so your other teammates actually have to do the shots etc.

If you ramp up the difficulty to max it actually does get pretty tactical once you get deeper into the game if you choose to play it that way. I enjoy it a lot better than the colored gear and bullet sponge enemies in The Division.

That said, it's a nice looking game and I really enjoy the variety of weapons. They sound realistic and have a good feel to them with bullet drop etc. Pretty satisfying getting 450m sniper shots or breaching houses with big shotguns.

It's no master piece it's about a 7 to me, but it's really fun once you unlock all the skills and have a variety of weapons and your teammates play their role.

Would it be better if it were more like Rainbow 6 Vegas? Probably a lot better.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Oh and I guess For Honor is polarizing this year, but that's a good fucking game. So I write that polarizing attitude based on two things

A: Ubisoft bullshit
B: Gamers like bad things which is why they need our lord and savior: Champ

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The entire ArmA series. You either love it or you hate it. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@oflow: I don't think I've seen people split that badly on the game. Most people who I played it with who enjoyed thought it was alright, nothing really special. It was the flavor of the month and that's about. I didn't see anybody really hating on it either. The base mechanics were fun and it had tons of content and variety in the level design to keep you occupied even in solo play.

Though the whole time I felt the game was just ArmA 3 lite. So I got the guys into play ArmA 3 and we haven't turned back.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Pedro: I am!! Prey is such a great game. It is a great non hand holding, explore talos, use the environment game. I've read people say the enemies are uninteresting LOL ? like those grey R2D2 wannabes in Nier A are exciting?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

1-2 Switch

If playing with people that aren't afraid to be silly, this game is very fun and generates lots of laughs.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@drummerdave9099 said:

It got a 9/10 from Eurogamer and a 4.5/10 on Gamespot, how is that not polarizing lol!

Eurogamer was paid. ;) Had to be! Lmao

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Polarizing as in gaining alot hate then that honor would be Mass Effect Andomeda. Which was not a terrible game by the way but it is whatever. Polarizing as in gaining all the praise and admiration that honor belongs to the Witcher 3. I'm pretty sure I have played other games that have been "polarizing" but I just can't think of them off had.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4736 Posts

Tree of Savior. Some people hate it, but I LOVE it. 1700 hours in, and I'm just warming up!

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#30  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

@jg4xchamp: The peer to peer play ruins For Honor. I love the game but have quit playing it because of all the disconnects in MP matches. I hate having to play 5 matches to finish one.

@Wasdie:You must not follow their forums. The game got tons of hate after the beta where the community was split in two.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

I found FFXV very polarizing. For me anyhow.

I don't know what public opinion was, outside of review scores, but I've never played a game where I had such fun at some points/chapters, and then wanted to just drop the controller and never look back in others.

I've never seen a game with so many good ideas, but then ruined by AWFUL design decisions, bad controls, clunky UI, etc.

If they do end up releasing it on PC, I think the modding community could really improve a lot of these issues too.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Nearly every Final Fantasy game is polarizing. FFX is my favourite but you'll find people say it is trash.

I'd say the most polarizing one was Final Fantasy 13. It got eaten alive on the Internet but I enjoyed it. Gameplay was great, the story was decent but I had fun with it when I did play it so yeah that one springs to mind.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

It has to be the first Assassin's Creed, especially after the crazy hype it got.

Games I think they were so divisive:

• Resident Evil 4
  • God Hand
  • GT5
  • Castlevania LOS
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Dead Space 3
  • Resistance 1
  • Killzone series
appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

@Netret0120: True, except for ff6 and ff7. Opinions only became mixed after it started being cool to hate on popular stuff.

I blame hipsters.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@valgaav_219: I liked FFXV, it's also the first Final Fantasy I managed to finish.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Not a game per say but VR in general which includes the entire library since it's one or the other that people either love or hate. A love/hate genre seems to also be walking simulators like Everyone's gone to the Rapture...I love those kinds of games for the atmosphere.

I think COD series the most popular polarizing game ever. I never saw such a thoroughly played by most everyone kind of game that got so much hate and seemed to define what a casual mainstream gamer is even though technically it's not a casual game, just a generic linear shooter with an ADHD seizure induced, Michael Bay look to it.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@Epak_: I really liked it too tbh. It had it's flaws but the majority of the hate came from hardcore Final Fantasy Fans therefore they expected so much more as far as story and overall presentation. When compared to your average JRPG tbh it's still a really good game. Just not the best among other Final Fantasy games imo