• Sephiroth avatars are kewl

Many, many other hot takes.

#3 Posted by SecretPolice (35327 posts) -

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#4 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3241 posts) -

Uncharted series

The Witcher 3

#5 Posted by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

I think the entire universe is pretty overrated tbh. I mean wtf is there so much empty space? Also what's up with everything decaying? So sick of having to clean my apartment because of this stupid shit. Why is everything that tastes good bad for the body? People seem to think the universe is 10/10, but no way it's more than a 4.

#6 Posted by Heirren (1446 posts) -

Lol Doom 2016. Ive got a story on that one. I may buy it on Switch just to see what the fuss was about. Doom always did the violence right, imo. Hoards of enemies you know are bad without question and your job is to put them in check. No doubt why halo took off as well--very universal concept.

Metro. I bought the dual back on ps4(when i had one). Aweful. Call of Duty but super slow with uninspired visuals. Quite frankly i cant find a reason why so many people like it.

Stalker? I got a female stalker, and some jealous dude i put in check trying to kill me. The game shouldnt be called stalker. I bet it is more like that ninja game on the psx.

Most overrated this gen? GTA5. Considering the hype it sure has wonky controls. I had the same issues with gta4. Snoozefests. The series lost me on San Andreas when it turned into Grand Theft Dollhouse. GTA 1-3 i played on pc. I had more fun with the first 2 and i believe the earlier games played much better--is the keyboard and mouse setup in the new ones operating like the old ones, or does it feel like console controls adopted for pc?

#7 Posted by Howmakewood (5925 posts) -

Final Fantasy

#8 Edited by Ghosts4ever (9987 posts) -
  • Tomb raider reboot - not only overrated but among the worst games of all time. platforming is easy and on button. combat is one of the worst in any action game so is stealth.
  • The Witcher 3 - By far most overrated game of this generation. the fact that it got 10/10 is beyond me that game is mechanically broken.
  • Wolfenstein Reboot - Among the worst FPS games ever. cinematic movie games posed as old school FPS.
  • Fallout - Played Fallout 3 for 30 mintues and quit it. cant believe its praised that much.
  • Metal gear solid 5 - Boring open world far cry in third person. waste of time
  • Resident Evil 2 - Average at best. yet having near perfect score. its third person zombie action game with bad story and too short with little to no variety.
  • Resident Evil 4 - One of the most overrated game of last decade. its a mediocre third person action game with terrible gameplay and controls where you cant shoot while move.
  • Mass Effect series - Bad Cover based third person shooter with RPG elements that got near perfect scores. its terrible.
  • GTA series - As a franchise its most overrated franchise ever in hisotry due to havint 10/10 every time new game released. these games are once again have bad driving to bad shooting and are chore to play.
  • Assassins creed - it has one good game. rest are rehashes.
  • Bioshock Infinite - One of the worst AAA FPS i have ever ever played. it have worse possible shooting elements, terrible linear and scripted. only saving grace is nice and unique setting otherwise terrible game that got near perfect scores.
  • Call of duty 4 - Ruined FPS genre during last gen as many FPS developer followed this game pattern.
  • Borderlands - Cartoonish RPG loot shooter with terrible shooting that also got near perfect scores.
  • Gears of war series - Killed the third person shooter genre and due to this. every third person now have cover system. terrible cover shooter rinse and repeat that got near perfect score.
  • Uncharted - Not terribly bad but overrated as its just alright action game that got near perfect score due to its sony exclusive. its better than gears and tomb raider though. due to this game popularity. many third person games become cinematic games.

and i could go on and on. theres so many games that are overrated and critics give them high scores due to they got paid.

#9 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9987 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
  • Halflife 2.

Half life 2 is one of few games that deserve every praise that it got.

#10 Edited by DaVillain- (36901 posts) -

LOL at taking a jab on Ghosts4ever gaming taste ;)

#11 Edited by Litchie (24025 posts) -

Fortnite
PUBG
Apex Legends
Metal Gear Solid series (Kojima himself is very overrated)
GTA series
Uncharted series
Assassin's Creed series
Call of Duty series
BioShock Infinite (how in the living **** did it get good scores, let alone great scores?)
FIFA series ("wow, they added one function over last year's FIFA, 9/10!")
Battlefield series after BF2142
Final Fantasy series
Metro series (should be around 7/10 imo)
The MOBA genre

There's more, but I don't want to be here all day.

#12 Posted by Litchie (24025 posts) -

@Sushiglutton: lol

#13 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9987 posts) -

@Litchie said:

Metro series (should be around 7/10 imo)

Metro series are not being AAA or highly praised. they always get 8 at best. if anything they are underrated to the point that they got overshadow in a favor of COD and battlefield every time.

#14 Edited by BoxRekt (1695 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
  • Tomb raider reboot - not only overrated but among the worst games of all time. platforming is easy and on button. combat is one of the worst in any action game so is stealth.
  • The Witcher 3 - By far most overrated game of this generation. the fact that it got 10/10 is beyond me that game is mechanically broken.
  • Wolfenstein Reboot - Among the worst FPS games ever. cinematic movie games posed as old school FPS.
  • Metal gear solid 5 - Boring open world far cry in third person. waste of time
  • Resident Evil 2 - Average at best. yet having near perfect score. its third person zombie action game with bad story and too short with little to no variety.
  • Mass Effect series - Bad Cover based third person shooter with RPG elements that got near perfect scores. its terrible.
  • GTA series - As a franchise its most overrated franchise ever in hisotry due to havint 10/10 every time new game released. these games are once again have bad driving to bad shooting and are chore to play.
  • Assassins creed - it has one good game. rest are rehashes.
  • Bioshock Infinite - One of the worst AAA FPS i have ever ever played. it have worse possible shooting elements, terrible linear and scripted. only saving grace is nice and unique setting otherwise terrible game that got near perfect scores.
  • Call of duty 4 - Ruined FPS genre during last gen as many FPS developer followed this game pattern.
  • Borderlands - Cartoonish RPG loot shooter with terrible shooting that also got near perfect scores.
  • Gears of war series - Killed the third person shooter genre and due to this. every third person now have cover system. terrible cover shooter rinse and repeat that got near perfect score.
  • Uncharted - Not terribly bad but overrated as its just alright action game that got near perfect score due to its sony exclusive. its better than gears and tomb raider though. due to this game popularity. many third person games become cinematic games.

and i could go on and on. theres so many games that are overrated and critics give them high scores due to they got paid.

That's actually a pretty damn accurate list.

Especially Mass Effect.

It was bad at everything other than the multiple dialog choices gimmick . It could have literally have just been a tale tale game and it wouldn't have been any worse for the ware.

Having worse gameplay than any witcher title, I was always confused how this game scored above a 7 on any website.

#15 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5108 posts) -

@ghosts4ever:

Jesus, dude! Do you like ANYTHING?!! At all?!! 😓

#16 Posted by thehig1 (7297 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7: doom 2016, dues ex, half life, mafia 1, Hitman (not absolution) stalker games, System Shock

Think that's it he thinks everything else trash.

#17 Posted by Ovirew (9076 posts) -

Hard to say. I'm sure some games are overrated, but then a lot of overrated games might just be well-known because they're a successful niche series with a strong following.

I'll vote for Souls. I think it was a revolutionary idea, but the gameplay hasn't evolved a whole lot since the first few games. FromSoftware is a pretty decent developer though, and deserves the success they've found from following their own path.

#18 Posted by Heirren (1446 posts) -

Bioshock is another one.

#19 Posted by BoxRekt (1695 posts) -
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ghosts4ever:

Jesus, dude! Do you like ANYTHING?!! At all?!! 😓

Honestly, his list is pretty spot on.

There are plenty of other high rated franchises other than what's on his list.

But the thing about Ghost is he will not like any game that isn't on PC and he doesn't really play many games outside of FPS so his range of experience is pretty limited.

He thinks Max Payne 3 is the greatest 3rd person action game ever made and has never been surpassed, so.

#20 Edited by biggest_loser (24320 posts) -

GTA 5!

#21 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9987 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

He thinks Max Payne 3 is the greatest 3rd person action game ever made and has never been surpassed, so.

actually Max payne 1 and Mafia 1 are the greatest third person game ever and they never been surpassed. but max payne 3 come second because its combat is sooo great its controlling is so fluid and its story is amazing.

its actually my type of game where we play as lone badass shooting with bullet time and slo motion. Max on other hand is also best character ever written.

I played RE2 this year. average game, i played Tomb raider reboot. terrible games, played mass effetct and could not play more than hour, played witcher 3 and its mediocre, played gears of war and it suck etc. I played bunch of third person games. and i found all fall flat compare to max payne 3.

#22 Edited by BoxRekt (1695 posts) -
@Ovirew said:

Hard to say.

I'll vote for Souls. I think it was a revolutionary idea, but the gameplay hasn't evolved a whole lot since the first few games.

Overrated means a game doesn't deserve it's praise.

If it aint broke... Gameplay not changing doesn't mean a game is not good or praise worthy anymore. And certain mechanics are adjusted they just may not be noticed at a glance.

Elder Scrolls/Sky rim/Fallout has had trash gameplay since forever and hasn't changed and still get's praised as AAA.

Souls is the franchise that actually set the benchmark for standards for mid-evil action RPG genre since Demon's Souls 2009. Even other game developers site inspiration from souls games when developing their own games so that's anything but overrated.

#23 Edited by BoxRekt (1695 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: You should try The Technomancer. Going by your tastes it may just be your type of RPG. It's one of the best underrated games of this gen.

The game is dirt cheap but one of the best original thrill rides I've had this gen, a real diamond in the rough. Even though a lil wonky at times, I can tell you it's better more enjoyable gameplay than the witcher 3, Sky rim or Fallout. And yes 😉 It even has those slow motion critical attacks you love.

#24 Posted by Heirren (1446 posts) -

San Andreas.

Even the pc version sucked.

#25 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9987 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

@ghosts4ever: You should try The Technomancer. Going by your tastes it may just be your type of RPG. It's one of the best underrated games of this gen.

no such thing as my type of RPG. its a genre i hate most.

well unless its FPS/RPG.

#26 Posted by Macutchi (6791 posts) -

hitman season 1.

a game clearly built around a super hand holdy "opportunity revealing itself" mechanic which translates to "quick get over here and follow the on screen prompts." turn the feature off and there's no real intel to work from (i'd have thought a world class assassin would do a bit of prep), so you end up just wandering round trying to stumble upon a conversation or something to give you a clue as to what to do. people on here often gush over it. wish i could "get it" as i love stealth games but the good gameplay was too analagous to the theme and must've been hidden off in the shadows too well for me to find.

mass effect 2.

loved the first, warts and all. epic space opera. the second was a glorified recruitment drive lacking any of the edge of the seat or intrigue in narrative the first had. quickly dawned on me in this game that shepard was one of the most wooden characters in gaming history too. and the tps cover mechanics were just downright shit. one of a rare kind of game that's more polished and streamlined than its predecessor but worse off for it. tried three times, furthest i made was about two thirds in before the boredom became too unbearable to carry on.

@Sushiglutton said:

I think the entire universe is pretty overrated tbh. I mean wtf is there so much empty space? Also what's up with everything decaying? So sick of having to clean my apartment because of this stupid shit. Why is everything that tastes good bad for the body? People seem to think the universe is 10/10, but no way it's more than a 4.

blame that god fellow. now that is one seriously overrated guy.

@heirren said:

Stalker? I got a female stalker

just tell her you post on system wars. probably one of the best anaphrodisiacs you can get

#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (33649 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
  • Halflife 2.

Half life 2 is one of few games that deserve every praise that it got.

It predicted SJW's taking over the world.

Way ahead of it's time.

#28 Posted by BoxRekt (1695 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@boxrekt said:

well unless its FPS/RPG.

Max Payne isn't a FPS/RPG ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's why you'll never find anything better because you resist giving anything a chance.

#29 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9987 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@boxrekt said:

well unless its FPS/RPG.

That's why you'll never find anything better because you resist giving anything a chance.

Max payne is not RPG. pure TPS action game.

if it was RPG. i would have hated it.

#30 Posted by carljohnsonCJ (457 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@boxrekt said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@boxrekt said:

well unless its FPS/RPG.

Max payne is not RPG. pure TPS action game.

if it was RPG. i would have hated it.

Stalker, Deus EX are Hybrid FPS/RPG. Yet you like them :I

#31 Edited by Macutchi (6791 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:

Max payne is not RPG. pure TPS movie game.

correction

#32 Edited by VFighter (4999 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7: Thats pretty much it for ghost, he's got probably the worst opinions and taste in games I've ever seen. And he'll make a few post a week letting you know about the 5 games he likes, and the thousands of others he hates. I pray he's just trolling but sadly I don't think that's the case.

#33 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9987 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

correction

Its movie game done right. Tomb raider and uncharted are movie games done wrong.

#34 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9987 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@nepu7supastar7: Thats pretty much it for ghost, he's got probably the worst opinions and taste in games I've ever seen. And he'll make a few post a week letting you know about the 5 games he likes, and the thousands of others he hates. I pray he's just trolling but sadly I don't think that's the case.

I have worst taste because i refuse to praise mainstream overrated games? really?

#35 Posted by warmblur (2512 posts) -
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Call of Duty 4

It's influence destroy great series like Battlefield, F.E.A.R., Crysis, and Medal of Honor etc... COD4 was like a virus that dumbed down the FPS genre and to this day FPS truly never have fully recovered.

#36 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10365 posts) -

There are so many comming to my mind. Pretty much every game that is more style over substance, eg. mostly depends on stuff like nice graphics or "story" and offers subpar gameplay

#37 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9987 posts) -

@warmblur said:
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Call of Duty 4

It's influence destroy great series like Battlefield, F.E.A.R., Crysis, and Medal of Honor etc... COD4 was like a virus that dumbed down the FPS genre and to this day FPS truly never have fully recovered.

COD4 is to FPS what gears is to TPS. ruined the genre.

#38 Edited by Gamerno6666 (6793 posts) -

Pretty much everything that ghost likes plus sanandreas and final fantasy series. Especially 15. Pokemon is better. Nintendo is best.

#39 Posted by Macutchi (6791 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

correction

Its movie game done right. Tomb raider and uncharted are movie games done wrong.

if, by done right, you mean endless cut scenes, super short gameplay sections, constantly wrestling control from the player and long sequences in which you barely get to interact with the game, plus an interminable story that drags on and on and on, then agreed.

combine with rockstar's inability to get player control feel anything too far away from clumsy and awkward and you have a movie game that, whilst still good and enjoyable to play, lacks the polish, visual style, variety in play, set pieces and overall cohesion of uncharted 4.

if uncharted was on pc and drake shaved his head a la walter white like max does in mp3 i imagine you may be singing a different tune about ol' nate dog

#40 Edited by Ghosts4ever (9987 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:

correction

if, by done right, you mean endless cut scenes, super short gameplay sections, constantly wrestling control from the player and long sequences in which you barely get to interact with the game, plus an interminable story that drags on and on and on, then agreed.

combine with rockstar's inability to get player control feel anything too far away from clumsy and awkward and you have a movie game that, whilst still good and enjoyable to play, lacks the polish, visual style, variety in play, set pieces and overall cohesion of uncharted 4.

if uncharted was on pc and drake shaved his head a la walter white like max does in mp3 i imagine you may be singing a different tune about ol' nate dog

done right means its gameplay is super good. its gunplay is so amazing that it yet to surpassed.

come on nathan drake is boring character and has no comparision to Max.

Evolution of Max as a character is unbelievable in gaming.

He was cop who lost his wife and daughter, want to take thier revenge, framed for murder of his own wife, then his friend, hunted by cops and criminals both. his story in incredibly depressing but Max payne remain one of the most badass anti hero as he suffer much but still remain badass.

even in 3 when he become old. he suppose to protect brazilian family but he couldnot. and has to fight some of the most deadly criminals alone.

nathan drake is nowhear near as excellent written character as Max.

#41 Posted by Macutchi (6791 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

done right means its gameplay is super good. its gunplay is so amazing that it yet to surpassed.

come on nathan drake is boring character and has no comparision to Max.

Evolution of Max as a character is unbelievable in gaming.

He was cop who lost his wife and daughter, want to take thier revenge, framed for murder of his own wife, then his friend, hunted by cops and criminals both. his story in incredibly depressing but Max payne remain one of the most badass anti hero as he suffer much but still remain badass.

even in 3 when he become old. he suppose to protect brazilian family but he couldnot. and has to fight some of the most deadly criminals alone.

nathan drake is nowhear near as excellent written character as Max.

as the old saying goes, one good character doth not a good game make.

i'd disagree about the gameplay being super good. the shooting is super good. it's not weighty enough and got enough oomph for me or to say it's never been surpassed but we're all entitled to our opinion. bullet time is super fun. the rest of the gameplay elements are a mixture of good to passable

#42 Posted by off3nc3 (675 posts) -
@goldenelementxl said:

The Witcher 3

This is what I came in this thread for.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#43 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1558 posts) -

The most overrated IPs in my opinion are:

• Ape Escape
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Attack On Titan
  • Dark Souls
  • Dead Rising
  • Demon's Souls
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Bayonetta
  • Bully
  • Call Of Duty
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Dragon Ball
  • Dead Or Alive
  • Evil Within
  • Family Guy
  • God Of War
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Heavy Rain
  • Jax & Dexter
  • Killzone
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Klonoa
  • Last Of Us
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Man Hunt
  • Metal Gear
  • Modnation Racers
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Naruto
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • No More Heroes
  • One Piece
  • Persona
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Resident Evil
  • Resistance
  • Saints Row
  • Shin Megami Tensei
  • Silent Hill
  • Sly Cooper
  • Sonic
  • Soul Calibur
  • South Park
  • Spyro
  • Street Fighter
  • Tekken
  • Uncharted
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Yakuza
  • Zombi

There are many more I can think of.

#44 Posted by Fedor (5142 posts) -

Fortnite, it's basically trash for children.

#45 Posted by Pedro (34907 posts) -

Any game that Ghost likes is overrated. Its a great way to gauge the quality of game.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#46 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13654 posts) -

Everything ghosts likes.

#47 Edited by Arkhalipso (2346 posts) -

What's even the point of this thread? Everyone is just going to mention games which are highly rated but haven't played or are exclusive to one platform or the other, or maybe games which belong to a genre we can't appreciate for whatever reason (such as moba, br, etc). If a game is well known and praised by both people and critics but you don't like it, then you are the problem.

#48 Posted by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
@Sushiglutton said:

blame that god fellow. now that is one seriously overrated guy.

The laziest of devs!

#49 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5108 posts) -

@ghosts4ever:

"I have worst taste because i refuse to praise mainstream overrated games? really?"

Half Life, Doom and Deus Ex are pretty mainstream. Do you not praise them? In my experience with Half Life 1 and 2, they're mostly just decent. They're kinda overrated too.

#50 Posted by Macutchi (6791 posts) -
@Arkhalipso said:

If a game is well known and praised by both people and critics but you don't like it, then you are the problem.

impeccable logic