Most influential games of the 21st Century Gamespot somehow missed.

• 56 results
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14827 Posts

Wow, fail.

No World of Warcraft, no Mass Effect (the original), no Resident Evil 4, no Witcher (either the first or 3), no Deus Ex, no Diablo II, no Elder Scrolls games.............

Many of these games are as influential if not more than the games they listed.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@texasgoldrush: It would help i you posted the games they did list for comparison.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

The problem is the entity making the list.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

The hell you on about?

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 497 Posts

@Ant_17: Gamespot had a feature on their home page listing the most influential games of the 21st century. The TS is upset that they missed out certain games.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@worlds_apart: Who fucking cares, it's Gamespot.

We might as well give a shit about IGN reviews.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 497 Posts

@Ant_17: yep I agree with you. It's not a big deal.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19373 Posts

I haven't seen the list. The only thing I see on the front page is PUBG. Which is a solid pick.

If they skip RE4 and WOW, that would be pretty dumb. Did they at least mention Souls?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d35e2183f2b7
deactivated-5d35e2183f2b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d35e2183f2b7
Member since 2019 • 80 Posts

What did Mass effect influenced?

Also they only showed one game, clearly there will be other games in other videos.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts

TC is a continually laughable poster, but at least post the Goddamn link.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jag85

I've found the list:

The Most Influential Games of the 21st century

Wii Sports

Dark Souls

Grand Theft Auto 3

The Sims

Minecraft

Half-Life 2

Halo: Combat Evolved

League of Legends

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

PUBG

Games I'd add:

• Counter-Strike
  • Deus Ex
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • Devil May Cry
  • Ico
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Warcraft III
  • Brain Age
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • World of Warcraft
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Dungeon Fighter Online
  • Happy Farm
  • Depression Quest
  • Pokemon Go

Games I'd remove:

• Half-Life 2 - not as influential as FPS titles Counter-Strike and Halo
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - itself inspired by Counter-Strike and Halo
  • League of Legends - itself inspired by the DotA custom map of Warcraft III

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Mass effect was influential?

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

League of Legends? Oh, you mean Dota 1?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

IMO, a less controversial list would have had representation from every genre. Their list... Most of that stuff is influential, but skews only hits a few types of games. Feels pretty unsatisfying through omission, even if you don't disagree with the chosen ones per se

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I can understand half the games you mentioned, but Skyrim should be #4 or so

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

World of Warcraft, absolutely. But the rest? Not so sure about them being "influential". Popular and amazing? Sure. Influential? Meh...

Hate it or love it, WoW is arguably one of the influential games of all time. It did not invent the MMO genre, but it brought it into the mainstream and inspired dozens, if not hundreds, of competitors and imitators, yet very few have come close to it's level of success. It's 15 years old at this point and still played by millions around the world, still supported; that can't be said for any game, I don't think. There might be niche communities of people still playing Everquest and other games, but they don't come close to WoW.

If the "Most influential games of the 21st Century" is a series, I would be very surprised to not see it on there.

@xantufrog said:

IMO, a less controversial list would have had representation from every genre. Their list... Most of that stuff is influential, but skews only hits a few types of games. Feels pretty unsatisfying through omission, even if you don't disagree with the chosen ones per se

I feel the same way. Not sure why there are three shooters up there; all three were incredibly great singleplayer, online, and very successful; seems redundant.

There's a lot missing, a lot of representation lacking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Dude, they're people just like you. The hell with what they think.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34468 Posts

Sounds like they just listed what's popular.

feitan14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 feitan14
Member since 2019 • 20 Posts

no dota2?

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

LOL at the guy who said Ico should be on the list.

It didn’t influence anything and no one played it lol. I liked the game, but it’s a bad pick.

SOTC would be a better pick. At least that game was in that Adam sandler movie.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jag85

@ajstyles:

Ico is one of the most influential games of the last two decades:

Ico is stated by Chris Kohler of Wired to have influenced numerous other video games, borrowing from its simple and visual design ideals. Several game designers, such as Eiji Aonuma, Hideo Kojima, and Jordan Mechner, have cited Ico as having influenced the visual appearance of their games, including The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, respectively. Marc Laidlaw, scriptwriter for the Half-Life series, commented that, among several other more memorable moments in the game, the point where Yorda attempts to save Ico from falling off the damaged bridge was "a significant event not only for that game, but for the art of game design". The Naughty Dog team used Ico as part of the inspiration for developing Uncharted 3. Vander Caballero credits Ico for inspiring the gameplay of Papo & Yo. Phil Fish used the design by subtraction approach in developing the title Fez. The developers of both Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Rime have Ico as a core influence on their design. Hidetaka Miyazaki, creator and director of the Souls series, cited Ico as a key influence to him becoming involved in developing video games, stating that Ico "awoke me to the possibilities of the medium".

Patrice Désilets, creator of Ubisoft games such as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Assassin's Creed, cited Ico as an influence on the game design of The Sands of Time. Jenova Chen, creator of art games such as Flower and Journey, cited Ico as one of his biggest influences. Ico was also cited as an influence by Halo 4 creative director Josh Holmes. Ico was also one of the first video games to use a bloom lighting effect, which later became a popular effect in video games.

Film director Guillermo del Toro cited both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus as "masterpieces" and part of his directorial influence.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

I was surprised that Resident Evil 4 was not on the list and that is why I don't take it very seriously - it is mostly just the staff's favorites. Maybe they are in the progress of adding an article for it.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Thats GS for you.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

What games have been influences by Sands of Time?

No platformer has been taking its time travel shit, unless they mean the cinematic shit. In which case, uh those games copied it by taking out the platforming entirely by making it automated shit. What a bad list. How the **** do you forget Resident Evil 4. Further point where the **** is Devil May Cry?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Wouldn't DOTA 1 with warcraft 3 be more influential over LOL that copied it or no?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I get that PUBG started this br craze, but was it really as influential as Fortnite has been?

I don't care either way, just super sayin.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jag85

@jg4xchamp said:

No platformer has been taking its time travel shit, unless they mean the cinematic shit. In which case, uh those games copied it by taking out the platforming entirely by making it automated shit.

SOT's melee combat system has inspired a number of popular games, such as Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham, and The Witcher. While a lot of people erroneously label it "Arkham combat", it was originally Prince of Persia combat.

SOT's parkour platforming mechanics has also inspired a number of games, such as God of War, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Mirror's Edge, and Tomb Raider (reboot). However, the platforming in most of these games are simplified.

Assassin's Creed originally started as a SOT sequel called Prince of Persia: Assassin, before becoming its own series. AC has inherited a lot from SOT, including its combat, platforming, themes, visuals, and plot elements.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14827 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Mass effect was influential?

Yep, influenced western cinematic RPGs with its approach to dialogue.

KOTOR as well. And it could be the future of Star Wars.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15868 Posts

I agree with most of the list except for LOL and Wii Sports. should have gone to WC3 Frozen Throne custom map DoTA and Wii sports I don't really see the impact it brings but probably more due I was never fan of what Nintendo is doing with Wii.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jag85

@sakaixx said:

I agree with most of the list except for LOL and Wii Sports. should have gone to WC3 Frozen Throne custom map DoTA and Wii sports I don't really see the impact it brings but probably more due I was never fan of what Nintendo is doing with Wii.

True about LOL. That should've gone to WC3 instead. It was the DotA map that popularized MOBA. Both LOL and Dota 2 originate from the DotA map.

As for Wii Sports, it opened the doors of video gaming to a whole new audience, laying the foundations for the modern "casual" or "non-gamer" market. It's also known for popularizing motion controls, although that turned out to be a short-lived fad, but it has been making a comeback lately with VR controls. And it also saved Nintendo from being "doomed" as a console manufacturer.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58632 Posts

Fairly solid lists thus far. Probably need DayZ up there as well.

As much as I dislike them mechanically, Netherrealms did influence fighting games with it's story-mode. It's now basically expected.

Portal was also influential.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8459 Posts

Far Cry/Crysis should be there as well. They brought sandbox design to FPS from linear corridors. It's a shame that the industry mistook sandbox for open world with fetch quests. Also whoever started the sh*t cinematic walking, it should be on the list too.

@Jag85 said:

SOT's melee combat system has inspired a number of popular games, such as Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham, and The Witcher. While a lot of people erroneously label it "Arkham combat", it was originally Prince of Persia combat.

SOT's parkour platforming mechanics has also inspired a number of games, such as God of War, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Mirror's Edge, and Tomb Raider (reboot). However, the platforming in most of these games are simplified.

Assassin's Creed originally started as a SOT sequel called Prince of Persia: Assassin, before becoming its own series. AC has inherited a lot from SOT, including its combat, platforming, themes, visuals, and plot elements.

Why oh why, do you bring back those memories? Modern gaming has ruined action/adventure - one of my favorite genre.

Oh and PoP: SoT may have inspired Arkham like combat but it was much more than Arkham combat. It wasn't just a simple change enemies mid combat with 'icon' appearing on enemy that's about to attack. In PoP you had to pay attention to enemies attack pattern and block/react accordingly. It had more depth compared to modern games, I would love to see an evolution (not sh*t) of free form combat system of WW.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:

As much as I dislike them mechanically, Netherrealms did influence fighting games with it's story-mode. It's now basically expected.

It was actually Dragon Ball Z: Budokai which started the story mode trend in fighting games.

@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:

Why oh why, do you bring back those memories? Modern gaming has ruined action/adventure - one of my favorite genre.

Oh and PoP: SoT may have inspired Arkham like combat but it was much more than Arkham combat. It wasn't just a simple change enemies mid combat with 'icon' appearing on enemy that's about to attack. In PoP you had to pay attention to enemies attack pattern and block/react accordingly. It had more depth compared to modern games, I would love to see an evolution (not sh*t) of free form combat system of WW.

Unfortunately, most of the games that The Sands of Time influenced have dumbed-down combat and/or platforming mechanics compared to SOT.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

No offense to the people of Gamespot, but I really just come here for the forums. I have little to no faith in their reviews or opinion articles, but that goes for most big gaming sites. I've seen too much trivial stuff from Gamespot, IGN, and don't get me started on Kotaku (Jason Schreier is the only reason I even go there occasionally) or Polygon.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It was actually Dragon Ball Z: Budokai which started the story mode trend in fighting games.

Disagree. Wasn't until MK9 - Injustice League the other big players started implementing a 2-3 hour cinematic mode. Typically other games like Arc System Works used visual novel style story-telling prior, SF5 penalized for it's lack of SP content, eventually adding Shadow Falls and Tekken 7 touting it's story-mode at the forefront of marketing as the send to the Mishima saga.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Disagree. Wasn't until MK9 - Injustice League the other big players started implementing a 2-3 hour cinematic mode. Typically other games like Arc System Works used visual novel style story-telling prior, SF5 penalized for it's lack of SP content, eventually adding Shadow Falls and Tekken 7 touting it's story-mode at the forefront of marketing as the send to the Mishima saga.

As we discussed in the following thread two months ago:

Anyone notice some modern fighting games seem to be taking cues from anime/manga licensed fighters from the GC/PS2 era?

Lengthy cinematic story modes have been common in anime fighting games since the PS2 era, starting with DBZ Budokai and then appearing in other Shonen Jump games. As DBZ went on to become one of the biggest fighting game franchises (now the third biggest, behind only Smash Bros and Tekken), it inspired other fighting games to adopt its lengthy cinematic story mode format. MK9 just so happened to be one of the first non-anime fighting games to jump on the bandwagon.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Anyone notice some modern fighting games seem to be taking cues from anime/manga licensed fighters from the GC/PS2 era?

Lengthy cinematic story modes have been common in anime fighting games since the PS2 era, starting with DBZ Budokai and then appearing in other Shonen Jump games. As DBZ went on to become one of the biggest fighting game franchises (now the third biggest, behind only Smash Bros and Tekken), it inspired other fighting games to adopt its lengthy cinematic story mode format. MK9 just so happened to be one of the first non-anime fighting games to jump on the bandwagon.

Still going to have to disagree. Traditional fighting games largely ignored this until NR.

Same with Halflife, scripted interactive games existed long before it, but it's quality acted as kindle.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Well, the influental list of their was more of a paid ad than real series...

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Half Life 2? Over World of Warcraft?

This site panders to the PC crowd to look hardcore so much it’s disgusting.

HL2 is one of the most overrated games in recent times. It had physics. Shitty physics. Whoopy.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Honestly that's not a bad list, minus Wii Sports. The way the tc was stalking I was expecting WAY worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
deactivated-5d0a4c3876874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
Member since 2019 • 180 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

No platformer has been taking its time travel shit, unless they mean the cinematic shit. In which case, uh those games copied it by taking out the platforming entirely by making it automated shit. What a bad list. How the **** do you forget Resident Evil 4. Further point where the **** is Devil May Cry?

Well it did influence some games:

1.It was the first game from what I remember where you could walk when guarding.

2.DMC 3 got some ideas from it like wall running, light puzzle and using poles for attacks.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:

Still going to have to disagree. Traditional fighting games largely ignored this until NR.

Same with Halflife, scripted interactive games existed long before it, but it's quality acted as kindle.

Around the same time as MK9, I remember DOA Dimensions also having a cinematic story mode. Either way, my point is that Budokai started the cinematic story mode trend. After Budokai, other anime-based fighting games adopted it, then came MK9 and DOA Dimensions, and then other non-anime-based fighting games. Whether or not MK9 had an influence somewhere along that chain, it was Budokai that started the chain.

The difference in this case is popularity. Half-Life was the first popular FPS with scripted interactive cutscenes. Likewise, Budokai was the first popular fighting game with a cinematic story mode. You can't ignore the fact that DBZ is the third best-selling fighting game franchise of all time (after Smash Bros and Tekken).

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5233 Posts

Everytime a gaming outlet put out a list, gamers get upset on the choices because the outlet has a different opinion than the whiny gamers.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

Gears of War was more influential than RE 4.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6844 Posts

@Jag85 said:

I've found the list:

The Most Influential Games of the 21st century

Wii Sports

Dark Souls

Grand Theft Auto 3

The Sims

Minecraft

Half-Life 2

Halo: Combat Evolved

League of Legends

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

PUBG

Games I'd add:

• Counter-Strike
  • Deus Ex
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • Devil May Cry
  • Ico
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Warcraft III
  • Brain Age
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • World of Warcraft
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Dungeon Fighter Online
  • Happy Farm
  • Depression Quest
  • Pokemon Go

Games I'd remove:

• Half-Life 2 - not as influential as FPS titles Counter-Strike and Halo
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - itself inspired by Counter-Strike and Halo
  • League of Legends - itself inspired by the DotA custom map of Warcraft III

Thank you! Much better post than OP's!

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Mafia → GTA 3

Ghost Recon → Arma → PUBG

Ultima Underworld → King's Field → Souls

Devil May Cry

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

World of Warcraft

League of Legends

Deux Ex

Minecraft

Max Payne

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jag85
@dg1995 said:

Well it did influence some games:

1.It was the first game from what I remember where you could walk when guarding.

2.DMC 3 got some ideas from it like wall running, light puzzle and using poles for attacks.

Walking while guarding was common in the Zelda games. Unless you mean guarding without the shield?

I didn't really notice a DMC3 connection before. Could you elaborate on that? In terms of wall-running, that was pioneered by Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, after which wall-running appeared in Shinobi, Sands of Time, Ninja Gaiden and DMC3.

Another thing I forgot to mention is Prince of Persia's influence on the look and feel of God of War. When I played the first God of War, it immediately reminded me of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Like a Prince of Persia meets Devil May Cry.

@hello505 said:

Gears of War was more influential than RE 4.

Gears of War itself was inspired by RE4.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

No BG 2, granted there was a first one, but the second was a lot better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
deactivated-5d0a4c3876874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
Member since 2019 • 180 Posts

@Jag85 said:

I didn't really notice a DMC3 connection before. Could you elaborate on that?

There is a puzzle in mission 13 of DMC 3 where you should direct a light to a statue to unlock a door. Prince Of Persia SOT also had a similar puzzle like that.

There was also a similar puzzle like that in Resident Evil 5.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

@mazuiface: What games did Resident Evil 4 influence? Legit question.