appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Decima - looks amazing obviously. Playing through HZD right now, and constantly being impressed by it.

ID Tech 6 - Not only did DOOM look amazing, but it's clear that it has a lot of untapped potential. 4K, 170 fps on ultra/nightmare settings, with a gtx 1080 and a 7 year old CPU? Hell yes.

Red Engine 3 - Witcher 3 on high end hardware was an absolute feast for the eyes. Dat moving foliage and draw distance.

Honestly, the engine that impresses me the most though........

The Fox Engine. Unfortunately it will probably sit shelved forever, now that Konami has gone full retardchinko.

Sure this video doesn't look the best, but c'mon. 30 fps on Intel integrated graphics? The scalability of this engine is nothing short of amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i09GOqsNdyQ

Edit:

Frostbite - Left this one out originally, as I have zero personal experience with it. But several folks have mentioned that it also is very optimized.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Doom was optimized incredibly well.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Uncharted 4s engine.

I think the results those guys had with a low end system like PS4 ... their engine must be a monster

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#4 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2946 Posts

Yep I was going to say fox engine. Here's to hoping survive's not trash.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24914 Posts

Id tech 6 easily. Doom is most optimize game of this generation plus looking amazing too. it feel like proper PC game rather than console port.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46230 Posts

The Surge has a pretty impressive game engine: scales pretty well on all the platforms its on.

To me a game/engine is good as long as it has native 21:9 support ^^

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 appariti0n

@ghosts4ever: Agreed. Would love to see what a game using it would look like that would actually be taxing on a 1080/1080 ti.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

ID tech 6 is very impressive. it would be great if elder scrolls 6 is built on it. scrap the gamebyro engine. it's pants.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Fox Engine, MGS 5 can be played on a toaster pc.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

FH3 engine.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Gotta hand it to ID Tech 6. DOOM is able to perform so well even on older/med spec hardware that looks amazing on Med/High settings, while being able to take advantage of higher end specs for increased fidelity and visual extras.

Frostbite should also be on the list, with what Star Wars Battlefront. Battlefield 1, and Titanfall 2 is able to deliver, also without needing crazy specs to pull it off.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Took a while for the first mention of Frostbite, which to me is probably the most impressive, it's not custom made for one game, it scales well with hardware and it work across variety of genres well. Dice are some serious wizards.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

Engines are just tools. You can make any game engine look incredible or terrible.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tigerbalm

@Pedro: No, some engines are just crap.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Decima...... what it's able to deliver on PS4 on H:ZD is nothing short of incredible, also looking forward to seeing what Kojima can do with it in Death Stranding.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Tough choice...all of those are fantastic.

Anyway, i would probably go with Frostbite and ID Tech 6. SW Battlefront and DOOM look incredible and run at almost flawless 60fps on consoles (same for Battlefield 1 on the Pro).

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

An engine is a tool that's used to help speed up development. You can't just simply look at a game and say such and such engine is impressive/not impressive.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yeah both ID Tech 6 & Red Engine 3 have impressed me the most.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 appariti0n

@Silenthps:

Sure you can. A game that runs extremely well across all hardware/configurations is a testament to an engine that scales very well, which is impressive to me.

MGSV looks and runs perfectly fine even on Intel HD graphics. I'd love to see someone like Bugthesda with their shitty, 15 year old, cobbled together, mess of an engine pull off a feat like that.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I think ID Tech 6 is probably the most scale-able and optimised engine on the market today. Frostbite is up there as well though.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Geo-mod Engine (2001) for terrain destruction by release date.

Doom 4 feels like a console game and the optimisation isn't amazing, it just has only two colours.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Frostbite seems to have the most photo-realism but UE4 has demonstrated that ability too but for actual games I haven't seen it look quite as good as Frostbite. Other than those 2, I don't think any other engine comes quite as close, not that they don't also look terrific. I tip my hat to Dunia, Tech 6, Red, Cryengine 5, ...and hell, even UE 3 still can look extremely good.

@GarGx1 said:

I think ID Tech 6 is probably the most scale-able and optimised engine on the market today. Frostbite is up there as well though.

Why? Doom doesn't actually have much going on within it, just basically a series of linear connected arena's. It's not going to do open world games very well. Granted Tiago did a good job creating Tech 6, reusing some of Carmack's code as he worked on Cryengine.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Frostbite

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#24 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

whatever Ubi used for GR: Wildlands is pretty impressive.

BF1 is quite a technical feat though given how smooth it plays while looking sublime

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero, Doom and Injustice 2 are my favorite so far.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

No idea. Whichever's the most easy for higher end devs to use I guess?

I'm guessing Unreal is still big and maybe the in house engines of Sony then agian that maybe's more on the Sony artists IDK?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Sam3231 said:

Yep I was going to say fox engine. Here's to hoping survive's not trash.

I hope they add a Pachinko minigame which will really be the main game.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

CryEngine and Frostbite

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#29 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Dunia Engine looks and runs great.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Frostbite is probably my favorite, but the Red engine that CD Projekt uses is phenomenal.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By appariti0n

@pimphand_gamer said:

Frostbite seems to have the most photo-realism but UE4 has demonstrated that ability too but for actual games I haven't seen it look quite as good as Frostbite. Other than those 2, I don't think any other engine comes quite as close, not that they don't also look terrific. I tip my hat to Dunia, Tech 6, Red, Cryengine 5, ...and hell, even UE 3 still can look extremely good.

@GarGx1 said:

Why? Doom doesn't actually have much going on within it, just basically a series of linear connected arena's. It's not going to do open world games very well. Granted Tiago did a good job creating Tech 6, reusing some of Carmack's code as he worked on Cryengine.

You're right, DOOM is very linear, and the polar opposite of what an open world game would be. The creators have admitted it's not really geared towards open world games. Too bad, otherwise Fallout 4 might have actually been something more than Fallout 3.5 w/ all the same bugs.

I'm having a hard time bringing to mind any other corridor/on rails shooters that achieve this level of visual fidelity, at 4K and over 170 frames per second on a high end rig though. Considering some console games are still struggling to even keep a solid 30 fps.

That's an awful lot of spare performance in the tank.

They could probably use it to make an open world along the lines of FFXV, where there are still some invisible walls here and there.

I don't remember where I read this, but apparently the reason ID Tech 6 wasn't considered at all for Fallout/Elder Scrolls, wasn't so much about the graphics required for an open world, but the ability to handle so many little/movable objects just isn't something ID tech 6 is geared for.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 navyguy21  Online
Member since 2003 • 17423 Posts

@osan0 said:

ID tech 6 is very impressive. it would be great if elder scrolls 6 is built on it. scrap the gamebyro engine. it's pants.

OMG, I really hope they give up on that engine. Fallout 4, even heavily modified, has severe limitations that were so obvious. Hopefully they do go with ID Tech for Fallout 5/Elder Scrolls 6

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Does Doom have time of day, distant LOD and asset streaming?

And the only obvious answer is GTAV engine, I have no idea how they got that working on a PS3 and still be good enough for next gen systems and PC. A close second was Fox engine for the same reasons. Massively scalable.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#34  Edited By nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

Uncharted 4's engine

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 517 Posts

CryEngine is my favorite, both Ryse and crysis have won best graphics awards in the past

ID tech 6 doom 2016 runs and looks great even on consoles

Frostbite battlefield 1 game looks insane especially on pc ultra settings.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@appariti0n said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

@GarGx1 said:

You're right, DOOM is very linear, and the polar opposite of what an open world game would be. The creators have admitted it's not really geared towards open world games. Too bad, otherwise Fallout 4 might have actually been something more than Fallout 3.5 w/ all the same bugs.

I'm having a hard time bringing to mind any other corridor/on rails shooters that achieve this level of visual fidelity, at 4K and over 170 frames per second on a high end rig though. Considering some console games are still struggling to even keep a solid 30 fps.

They could probably use it to make an open world along the lines of FFXV, where there are still some invisible walls here and there.

I don't remember where I read this, but apparently the reason ID Tech 6 wasn't considered at all for Fallout/Elder Scrolls, wasn't so much about the graphics required for an open world, but the ability to handle so many little/movable objects just isn't something ID tech 6 is geared for.

A good engine is a good engine. If you look at what C.I.G. are doing with Cryengine/Lumberyard (now Starengine), another powerful linear FPS engine, imagine what a talented studio, with the resources and time available, could do with IDTech 6.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Cry Engine 3

Dunia Engine 2

Luminous Studio

Mizuchi

The Tomorrow Children

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm not an "engine aficionado" - but I will agree the Decima engine is nothing short of amazing. Taking a step back from Horizon, and realizing it is running on a 7850-70ish GPU and a meh CPU... it boggles the mind. Same for Frostbite. These allow for impressive results on what is, at the end of the day, pretty dated hardware

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

@tigerbalm said:

@Pedro: No, some engines are just crap.

Or the games were just crap.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@Pedro said:

Engines are just tools. You can make any game engine look incredible or terrible.

True, just like a terrible builder can have all the best power tools, and still be a shit builder. Doesn't mean the tools can't be compared against each other and rated on their effectiveness.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

An engine being a tool doesn't take away from the fact that some are just better than others, come on dudes. It's just like anything else.

There are tons of asset creation tools out there that have similar uses. But you'll be hard pressed to find a character artist who doesn't agree that Zbrush is the best digital sculpting package of the bunch. Or a texture artist who doesn't agree Photoshop is the best place for texturing in 2d space, or Mari for 3d space.

Some tools are just better than others.

That's what she said.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tigerbalm

@Pedro: That too

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Decima, Uncharted 4 engine, UE4, Frostbite engine, IDTech 6, and Fox Engine.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

The Overwatch engine, 30fps on an Intel GPU.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Good thing ID is using tech 6 for Quake...........oh wait no...........contracted in a failed studio/engine instead.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

I don't know much about engines, but IdTech 6 seems easy to run with great visuals, so I'll say that one.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@appariti0n said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

@GarGx1 said:

A good engine is a good engine. If you look at what C.I.G. are doing with Cryengine/Lumberyard (now Starengine), another powerful linear FPS engine, imagine what a talented studio, with the resources and time available, could do with IDTech 6.

Lumberyard, is an open world engine. You can do large maps with Cryengine 2 but Cryengine 3 is being used for Kingdome Come which is a huge open world game. Lumberyard adds Amazon's social media features and I presume it has all the work that Robert's team put into it too such as 64 bit positioning..etc. I don't know what Cryengine 5 adds beyond that but I keep wondering what ever happened to Cryengine 4? But CE 5 and UE 4 seem extremely similar. BTW Cryengine 4 tech demo looked amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aseq4T81P7g

Tech6 coded to do open world wouldn't really be Tech 6 when it's done, probably everything except the runtime would have to be redone because how the engine is geared to perform various tasks. Cryengine 1 had to be completely reworked into what became Dunia engine and I'm sure today it bares little resemblance to the code in CE1.

The best thing about Cryengine 5 now is that it's 100% royalty free but everyone still seems to flock to UE 4, maybe it's a support thing.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I don't know what it's called but I'd say the GTA V engine. It can render an entire city and/or countryside filled with people, traffic, animals, grass and other plant life, lakes and the ocean, dynamic weather with day and night cycles and all of that in sandbox go anywhere do anything anytime you feel like it world at 1080p 60fps.

Surely that must be up there with the all time great game engines.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

Hmmm it's a tough one. game engines have their strengths and weaknesses. Unreal Engine 4 seems to get nicer results more quickly, but ID engine with DOOM...man that looks and runs amazingly. I would love to see a sequel to The Evil Within and using that (since they used ID 5 engine with the first).

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

I think a lot depends on the genre. I prefer open world/sandbox games, so I'd have to go for REDengine 3 (Witcher 3) and Rage (GTA V). Both do incredible things in terms of creating a living, breathing world and I can't wait to see what they'll look like in a true next-gen title.