Most immersive games you've played?

• 85 results
#51 Edited by pelvist (7365 posts) -

I can think of a few that were immersive for me: The Silent Hunter series, Frontier Elite, Elite Dangerous (especially in VR), ARMA/Original OFP series, AVP 2, Alien Isolation, DAYZ, System Shock 1+2, Deus Ex, Antichamber and more Recently Subnautica and Below Zero. But none of them come close to the level of immersion I felt while playing STALKER SOC and STALKER COP. I am not surprised to see it in so many peoples lists above.

#52 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8350 posts) -

WWF WrestleMania NES

It's like I'm right there.

#53 Posted by dimebag667 (1208 posts) -

@Phazevariance: subnautica is a good one

#54 Edited by Bluestars (52 posts) -

Alien resurrection

Very atmospheric and had me generally shitting it when playing

#55 Posted by robert_sparkes (2925 posts) -

MGS 1

Resident evil 1 and 2

#56 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

Er um some JRPGs I guess they have all those lush aesthetics and deep things gets immersive I guess.

#57 Posted by FinalFighters (3140 posts) -
  • Fallout 3
  • Bioshock
  • Dues Ex: Human Revolation
  • Shenmue
#58 Posted by enzyme36 (4151 posts) -

Prey

Outlast

SOMA

Metroid Primes

RE7

#59 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6681 posts) -

Rdr2

Thief 1 & 2

#60 Edited by iambatman7986 (2763 posts) -

Maybe Bioshock or Demon's Souls. I also get really caught up in the Monster Hunter World but that is probably me just really enjoying the game more than the immersive world.

Looking through this thread, maybe I need to try my PSVR again. I only tried the demos it came with, so I have no idea if it has became better, but it is getting some love here.

#61 Posted by joebones5000 (2109 posts) -

The Witcher 3. Best game of its kind ever made.

#62 Posted by Archangel3371 (27577 posts) -

Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4 were definitely some other games that I found to be incredibly immersive.

#63 Edited by PAL360 (29549 posts) -

Kingdom Come Deliverance, No Man's Sky and, of course, many VR games.

#64 Edited by rzxv04 (573 posts) -

Fallout 3 or Skyrim.

I guess I got burnt out for Fallout NV and 4. Hope the next big SP TES gets me excited again.

If mmos count, then mmo. Nothing beats the highs and lows of an mmo for me. It's like an ultimate culmination of games.

#65 Posted by enzyme36 (4151 posts) -

I forgot to add Half-Life 2... I know its an old hat around here, but no FPS pulled me in more prior to playing that game. The way the world reacted to you was unique for the time.

#66 Posted by uninspiredcup (32786 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

STALKER shadow of chernoboyl. By far most immersive game i have ever played and one of the greatest game ever made.

#67 Posted by Subspecies (312 posts) -

@iambatman7986 said:

Looking through this thread, maybe I need to try my PSVR again. I only tried the demos it came with, so I have no idea if it has became better, but it is getting some love here.

Yeah, PSVR and VR in general is getting love in here for sure. That's because total immersion and VR go hand in hand. As for PSVR getting better since the early days, absolutely. The library has grown considerably, with plenty of awesome games.

Avatar image for needdistraction
#68 Posted by NeedDistraction (35 posts) -

Basically any game I played as a child.

#69 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79285 posts) -

Recently, it was Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I know it gets a lot of flack for having a lack of combat, but I think because of that, it allowed me to get absorbed into the atmosphere that much more. I still need to play the game a second time with headphones on so I can appreciate the 3D voices.

#70 Posted by Macutchi (6695 posts) -

stalker soc

crysis 1

alien isolation

bioshock

half life 1, 2, episodes

thief 1 & 2

vice city

dishonored 1 & 2

#71 Posted by Yams1980 (3430 posts) -

First game i got really immersed in was Ultima 7 which was an RPG from the early 90s, really open ended and sandboxy in the freedom you have in it to do whatever you want. I remember sitting in the tavern for hours just stealing food from people before they could eat it. It was surprisingly addictive to see how much you could get before it closed up.

Sims its very good at sucking me into really memorable games since I can build my own house in the game and also you can run really long family lines in the game and look at your family tree to see where it all started from. I've built my current own house in the game which isn't fully finished to my liking... and plan to build a house i was in from age 1-3, but i need to hunt down some photos because i forget where some of the rooms were located.

Skyrim i've gotten immersed into at times, but its so unstable and it really breaks the gameplay up a lot when you have to constantly wonder if the games gonna break from bad saves or the game not handling mods. It reminds me of Ultima 7 a lot in the way its buggy as hell and actually gamebreaking bugs but it has a large world you can do whatever you want in. My last save in Skyrim i had was barely able to load, usually took me 5-10 trys to get it loaded.

Minecraft i found really immersive but only for a few days. I really got into building big underground caves in the game which was also connected to an above ground house with lots of tunnels and stairways, it was fun to build. Just ended up never going back to the game after those few days. Its a game I always wanted to go back to if they added more to it, but it never looked any better after all these years, it still looks the same.

Civilization 5 is really immersive for a turn based game. Almost every game I start, i'll get so sucked into the game and it feels like i'm really running powerful and focused dictatorship trying to take over the world. I have save games from almost 10 years ago and I remember almost every major move I made in them, thats how memorable and unique each game can sometimes turn out. Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 are also other turn based games that can suck me in for days straight. Just amazing games.

#72 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (812 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

stalker soc

crysis 1

alien isolation

bioshock

half life 1, 2, episodes

thief 1 & 2

vice city

dishonored 1 & 2

That's some niiice list you got there. Would be a real shame if someone lazy were to appropriate it.

Anyway here's my list:

stalker soc

crysis 1

alien isolation

bioshock

half life 1, 2, episodes

thief 1 & 2

system shock 2

dishonored 1 & 2

#73 Edited by PC_Rocks (2037 posts) -

Half Life 2

Thief 1, 2 and 3

Deus Ex also HR and MD

Prince of Persia SoT trilogy

Far Cry

Medal of Honor: AA

Commandos 2

Dishonored 1 and 2

Kingdom Come Deliverance

Castlevania: LoS

#74 Posted by Macutchi (6695 posts) -
@sancho_panzer said:

bioshock

system shock 2

hipster

#75 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (812 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
@sancho_panzer said:

bioshock

system shock 2

hipster

hack-fraud

#76 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2313 posts) -

- Skyrim (Blew my mind when I first played it. Got me into open world RPG's)

- The Witcher 3 (From music, to characters, to worldbuilding it's the gold standard open world RPG imo)

- Final Fantasy X (A pioneer for it's time that pushed the PS2 to it's limits and had breathtaking graphics and full voiceovers which wasn't really seen at the time)

- Red Dead Redemption 2 (No explanation required)

#77 Posted by MirkoS77 (14055 posts) -

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Playing some Call of Chernobyl presently, game's immersive like crazy.

Notable mention goes to RDR2.

#78 Edited by mazuiface (823 posts) -

Demon's Souls, Resident Evil remake, every Suikoden game

#79 Posted by Macutchi (6695 posts) -
@sancho_panzer said:
@Macutchi said:
@sancho_panzer said:

bioshock

system shock 2

hipster

hack-fraud

i don't know what that means. probably a good comeback but wasted on me though sorry pal

#80 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25234 posts) -

Games where I'm happy to just look and walk around, interacting with the game world and not caring about the game objectives. It just so happens all are open-world games.

Far Cry 2, 3, 4, and 5

The STALKER games

Fallout 4

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover

Flight Simulator X

#81 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (812 posts) -

@Macutchi: Means it takes one to know one.

#82 Edited by Macutchi (6695 posts) -
@sancho_panzer said:

@Macutchi: Means it takes one to know one.

ah ok. probably spoke too soon when i said it was a good comeback

#83 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

The single most immersive game?

Hard to say but I don't know maybe Castlevania Symphony of the Night perhaps... even though it's only sorta a JRPG but I mean to pick one game now that H I think about it...

I really just felt when playing that game and feel it thinking about it now like it just has so much character and is deep and invovling in weird ways like I"m really there

and not wherever else I could be sorta deal...

At least that's how I feel about it basically.

#84 Posted by henrythefifth (2219 posts) -

Old Baldur's Gate games on PC. You dont get immersion like that these days!

#85 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20503 posts) -
  • Shenmue I & II
  • Witcher 3
  • NiGHTS into Dreams
  • Panzer Dragoon series
  • Metroid series
  • RDR2