Most Good games on PSP are ports.

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
[QUOTE="DireToad"][QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

[QUOTE="DireToad"]The DS has its fair share of ports and remakes too.
Sheep seem to forget about them though because the PSP's graphics makes everything look like a PS2 port while the DS graphics don't make you think GC.

And anyways, the PSP has a lot more diversity when it comes to genres.
Close to 1/3 of the DS' AAA and AA games are 2D side scrollers. Innovation FTW. :roll:
BobbyBobby85

Made up statistics FTL. Elit Beat Agents? Advance Wars? Trauma Center? Phonex Wright? Metroid Hunters? Brain Age? Hotel Dusk? Yeah, those are some of my favorite 2D sidescrollers... :roll:

AAA
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Nintendogs
Yoshi's Island DS
New Super Mario Bros.

AA
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Elite Beat Agents
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Meteos
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Super Mario 64 DS
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
Metroid Prime Pinball
Sonic Rush
Nintendogs: Dalmatian and Friends
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Bomberman Land Touch!
Clubhouse Games

Let's see...
Out of 24 games, 7 are 2D side scrollers.
That makes 29% which would mean that...

Close to 1/3 of the DS' AAA and AA games are 2D side scrollers. Innovation FTW. :roll:
DireToad

I guess you just fail at math huh?

No, I just don't waste my time looking up scores from one site and trying to use them against users in an attempt to "own" people. Like I said before, I don't go by GS scores, and BTW Many of the DS sidescrollers are hella overrated (beside POR of course). Alternatively, if you look at the rest of DS's library, you'll see that there are a great number of highly original games, as opposed to the PSP which consists of lots of ports and sports.

Well geez I thought we were having an argumentative discussion here.
Sorry for bringing up proof for my sayings. :|

But I mean, what could I have expected.
It's not like you're a level 32 user with close to 10 000 posts who's been here since 2003 and has an updated profile with personal graphics, blogs, friends and multiple tags.
Yeah I guess a casual user like yourself really doesn't have the time to back up  his sayings with proof.
My own fault I guess.

But then I understand how easy it would be for you to say that the PSP's library consists of ports and sports without bothering to look it up for yourself.
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#52 BobbyBobby85
Member since 2003 • 10336 Posts
[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

[QUOTE="DireToad"]

Too bad.
We still don't use GR.

:cry:
DireToad

Yep. And the rest of us non-GS faithful use a general consensus that actually makes sense. Oh well, at least you're right here at System Wars.

What you're still arguing about the whole "Let's use GR instead of GS scores" thing?
I guess you missed the memo. Or maybe you'll just revert to using the GS ratings when it suits your argument.
Either way, welcome the to Gamespot forums.

What memo?  Am I the only one who looks elsewhere to find the scores of games when considering a purchase?  Heaven forbid that I don't take GS as the living bible.  As for using GS "When it suits me", I find many of the games on DS's AAA list overrated, so they certainly don't help me when it comes to game scores.  Hence the reason I seek a general consensus of scores for a better result.

JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts
[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"][QUOTE="DireToad"][QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

[QUOTE="DireToad"]The DS has its fair share of ports and remakes too.
Sheep seem to forget about them though because the PSP's graphics makes everything look like a PS2 port while the DS graphics don't make you think GC.

And anyways, the PSP has a lot more diversity when it comes to genres.
DireToad

Made up statistics FTL. Elit Beat Agents? Advance Wars? Trauma Center? Phonex Wright? Metroid Hunters? Brain Age? Hotel Dusk? Yeah, those are some of my favorite 2D sidescrollers... :roll:

AAA
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Nintendogs
Yoshi's Island DS
New Super Mario Bros.

AA
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Elite Beat Agents
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Meteos
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Super Mario 64 DS
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
Metroid Prime Pinball
Sonic Rush
Nintendogs: Dalmatian and Friends
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Bomberman Land Touch!
Clubhouse Games

Let's see...
Out of 24 games, 7 are 2D side scrollers.
That makes 29% which would mean that...

DireToad

I guess you just fail at math huh?

No, I just don't waste my time looking up scores from one site and trying to use them against users in an attempt to "own" people. Like I said before, I don't go by GS scores, and BTW Many of the DS sidescrollers are hella overrated (beside POR of course). Alternatively, if you look at the rest of DS's library, you'll see that there are a great number of highly original games, as opposed to the PSP which consists of lots of ports and sports.

I guess then it's easy for you to say that the PSP's library consists of ports and sports without bothering to look it up for yourself.

lol owned

blindly making a bold statement like "1/3 of the DS AA/AAA lineup are side-scrollers" without looking up the facts just makes you look downright foolish
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
Seriously, if you don't care for GameSpots scores, I don't see why then go and argue about scores in the GameSpot's System Wars forum.
da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 da1on2
Member since 2006 • 4885 Posts
Lets end this discussion here, to say most good games on psp are port is just a statement of ignorance, and even so, i doubt you've played every game that's been ported over to the psp so why should it matter and there is no such thing as a $50 port on psp, hardly any game on psp are $50 and most ports are actually $30
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
basically, one reason why I would never buy one.
saucy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 saucy13
Member since 2006 • 243 Posts

isnt that a good thing, ports from consoles... protables playing games that can be played on consoles. I love my psp games.

o, btw i am playing 8 v 8 socom online right now and it is da bomb!!!! Blue Shirt Clan Rapes!!!!

BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#58 BobbyBobby85
Member since 2003 • 10336 Posts

But then I understand how easy it would be for you to say that the PSP's library consists of ports and sports without bothering to look it up for yourself.
DireToad

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=top_rated&platform=1024&mode=all&sort=score&dlx_type=all&date_filter=all&sortdir=asc

There ya go.  There's a good 15-20 games on that list that are sports or ports. DOn't say I never did anything for you. ;)

beyondgamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 beyondgamez
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts

I'm sure we all already know this, but there certainly isn't any point in denying it. It seems that they're always anouncing new ports of old games I've already played, so I guess it's called Playstation PORTable for a reason. I mean, there's the Megaman games, Final Fantasy Tactics, Devil May Cry, Burnout, Gitaroo Man, Suikiden, Vandal Hearts, Gradius, Breath of Fire III, Power Stone, Castlevaina, the list goes on and on! It seems every time I come here someone announces another port for PSP. Sure a lot of these games are great, but why would I want to spend $40-$50 for an enhanced port of a game I played years ago?

At least with DS developers are encouraged to try new things with the system, not just use the sheer horsepower to revive outdated games with a few new visual bells and whistles. The number one reaon I probably won't ever feel compelled to buy a PSP is because I can get roughly the same experience elsewhere on another platform. Most of these fancy games people talk about I already own or have played on PS2. It's just not logical to me.

BobbyBobby85

DS have the most ports..and there be more of it..the 360 is gettin ports and ps3 is gettin ports..when the game is a hit you better be certain they goin to make a sequal to it..
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts

[QUOTE="DireToad"]

BobbyBobby85

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=top_rated&platform=1024&mode=all&sort=score&dlx_type=all&date_filter=all&sortdir=asc

There ya go. There's a good 15-20 games on that list that are sports or ports. DOn't say I never did anything for you. ;)

AAA
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Daxter
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Burnout Legends
Lumines

AA
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
World Soccer Winning Eleven 9
Wipeout Pure Futuristic Racing
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo
FIFA 06
Sid Meier's Pirates!
MLB 06: The Show
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Mega Man Powered Up
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2006
Twisted Metal: Head-On
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix
Lumines II
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
2006 FIFA World Cup
Field Commander
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
SSX On Tour
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 2
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Killzone: Liberation
FIFA Soccer
Ridge Racer
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Mercury Meltdown
Gradius Collection
Race Driver 2006
Metal Gear Acid 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
Tokobot
Virtua Tennis: World Tour
Tiger Woods PGA Tour

Metal Gear Acid
Worldwide Soccer Manager 2007
Sega Genesis Collection
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
WTF
Def Jam: Fight for NY: The Takeover
Lemmings
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Me and My Katamari
Pursuit Force
Exit
Kingdom of Paradise
MLB

Ok so, out of those 51 titles (which is a lot more than the DS' BTW), I count 9 sports titles.
That means that 18%, close to 1/5, of the PSP's AAA and AA library is sports games.
That really isn't anything like the DS' 29% 2D side scrollers considering that sports titles are diverse in themselves.

Now, I can see you're having trouble with this so I'm going to be fair.
Why don't you pick the ports out of that list and we'll see what the percentage is together?
That sounds like a great learning activity for you.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts
Hmm...I'm enjoying Metal Gear Portable Ops, Field Commander, Lumines 2, Syphon Filter Dark Mirror, Daxter, SOCOM FTB 1 and 2... those don't play like ports to me.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

[QUOTE="da1on2"][QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]hoffgod , we don't use gamerankings

Hoffgod
I used GameRankings to get a general concensus. I could do this with GameSpot scores, but it would be skewed, as GS is VERY generous towards the PSP in its rankings. GameRankings: AAA: 1 AA: 29 GameSpot: AAA: 5 AA: 46 Notice a bit of a difference? Besides, the results would still be largely the same. You'd be adding in lots of stuff like Sid Meiers Pirates!, Sega Genesis Collection, Def Jam: Fight For New York, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, and so on.

Actually, no it's just that different sites have different opinions on what is AAA on the sistem, while most DS games that are AAA are generallyy agreed on my most sites just like how Loco Roco is a 7.9 here but AAA at other places as a matter of fact, if you go to most of those individual sites, DS and PSP usually have the same amount of AAA

I understand. However, just looking at this from a statistical analysis point of view, I'd rather be using a sample with a larger number of inputs (GR) than a smaller one (GS). When I say GS has been generous to the PSP, I'm not saying it's biased towards the PSP, I'm saying in the bell curve of ratings, they're on the right side of the graph.

HAHA you know what buddy, I'm a statistics major and that just made my day.  Good work, and I love the knowledge.....most here probably have no idea what the bell curve is.

JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts

[QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="da1on2"][QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]hoffgod , we don't use gamerankings

MikeE21286

I used GameRankings to get a general concensus. I could do this with GameSpot scores, but it would be skewed, as GS is VERY generous towards the PSP in its rankings. GameRankings: AAA: 1 AA: 29 GameSpot: AAA: 5 AA: 46 Notice a bit of a difference? Besides, the results would still be largely the same. You'd be adding in lots of stuff like Sid Meiers Pirates!, Sega Genesis Collection, Def Jam: Fight For New York, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, and so on.

Actually, no it's just that different sites have different opinions on what is AAA on the sistem, while most DS games that are AAA are generallyy agreed on my most sites just like how Loco Roco is a 7.9 here but AAA at other places as a matter of fact, if you go to most of those individual sites, DS and PSP usually have the same amount of AAA

I understand. However, just looking at this from a statistical analysis point of view, I'd rather be using a sample with a larger number of inputs (GR) than a smaller one (GS). When I say GS has been generous to the PSP, I'm not saying it's biased towards the PSP, I'm saying in the bell curve of ratings, they're on the right side of the graph.

HAHA you know what buddy, I'm a statistics major and that just made my day. Good work, and I love the knowledge.....most here probably have no idea what the bell curve is.

lol, i'm all too familiar with the bell curve

lets just say its helped me out quite a bit throughout the years
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
[QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

[QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="da1on2"][QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]hoffgod , we don't use gamerankings

JB730

HAHA you know what buddy, I'm a statistics major and that just made my day. Good work, and I love the knowledge.....most here probably have no idea what the bell curve is.

lol, i'm all too familiar with the bell curve

lets just say its helped me out quite a bit throughout the years

Well that's awesome.  All Statisticians speak up lol. 
white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#65 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts
Almost all sheep are exited to see what old games Nintendo can port to the Wii, more than half of them here are waiting for Chrono Trigger to be announced as we speak. Same goes for lemmings, when castlevania was announced, the anticipation went up for this 10 year old game. It's not like you're forced to buy these, nor are these the only  titles you can get.
SSJ2_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SSJ2_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 489 Posts
or the same reason people buy Virtual Console games for the Wii.Because many people haven't played them. Sure if you've played or own them already there's hardly a reason to get them again, unless you would want them in portable form. But the many people that missed those games, actually see all those ports as a good thing, and a good way to play some great games they missed.
Panzer_Zwei
Indeed. And this semester I have found a lot less time to play my consoles, so thats where my PSP comes in handy
DrHyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#67 DrHyde
Member since 2003 • 584 Posts
Umm...is this the most bland topic title ever? Most good PSP games are ports? So what? At least you acknowledge that they're good. There's a lot more than ports on the PSP than you realize. Lumines is one that started on the PSP and then ended up on other systems due to its popularity. Pirates! is a great port that works wonderfully on the PSP. Unless you're severely anal about your gaming then ports shouldn't be an issue. Truthfully, I love the ports for the PSP and the DS. They allow me to take my gaming wherever I want.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
and whats wrong with ports? x360 has many of them to.