Most Good games on PSP are ports.

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 BobbyBobby85
Member since 2003 • 10336 Posts

I'm sure we all already know this, but there certainly isn't any point in denying it.  It seems that they're always anouncing new ports of old games I've already played, so I guess it's called Playstation PORTable for a reason.  I mean, there's the Megaman games, Final Fantasy Tactics, Devil May Cry, Burnout, Gitaroo Man, Suikiden, Vandal Hearts, Gradius, Breath of Fire III, Power Stone, Castlevaina, the list goes on and on!  It seems every time I come here someone announces another port for PSP.  Sure a lot of these games are great, but why would I want to spend $40-$50 for an enhanced port of a game I played years ago? 

At least with DS developers are encouraged to try new things with the system, not just use the sheer horsepower to revive outdated games with a few new visual bells and whistles.  The number one reaon I probably won't ever feel compelled to buy a PSP is because I can get roughly the same experience elsewhere on another platform.  Most of these fancy games people talk about I already own or have played on PS2.  It's just not logical to me.

Brown52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Brown52
Member since 2006 • 2639 Posts
I would argue that a lot of the good DS games are ports of old nintendo games as well.
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BobbyBobby85

I would argue that a lot of the good DS games are ports of old nintendo games as well.Brown52

Not really.  Offhand, Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing are the only ones that come to mind.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
cmon, talking about ports...Nintendo has been porting Super Mario World and Mario 64 to every console they can.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Well, the acronym lives up to its name then, I suppose.

BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BobbyBobby85

cmon, talking about ports...Nintendo has been porting Super Mario World and Mario 64 to every console they can.MikeE21286

Mario World has only been rereleased on gameboy and Mario64 on DS.:|

Brown52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Brown52
Well, from looking at the PSP games you listed, I think these games would all fit in.
mario kart.
animal crossing
mario64
new super mario bros
final fantasy
mega man
yoshi's island.
castlevania
metroid hunters

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
I would argue that a lot of the good DS games are ports of old nintendo games as well.Brown52
There's a difference between a sequal and a port. Super Mario 64 DS is a port. Mario Kart DS is a sequal. Also, the OP has a point that a lot of the PSP's best games are also available on the PS2, and the PS2 version is almost always the better version. For example, GameRankings has the PSP with 1 AAA game and 29 AA games.Of the 29 AA games, 8 are the same on the PS2. Those are GTA: LCS, MLB 06: The Show, X-Men Legends 2, Outrun 2006, WWE Smackdown! v.s. RAW 2006, Gitaroo Man, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06, and Madden 2007. That number will become 9 next month when GTA: VCS hits the PS2. That leaves the PSP with 1 remaining AAA title and 21 remaining AA titles. Of those, one falls under the "enhanced port" catagory (Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix). Also, Lumines may be found on XBLA (Lumines Live) and Tekken Dark Resurrection will shortly be appearing on the PS3 (not the same version as the PSP, but the same game at it's core). That leaves the PSP with no truly exclusive AAA games and 20 truly exclusive AA titles, a number about to be cut to 18. The OP overstates it, but there are an undue about of ports amoungst the best games on the PSP.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

I'm sure we all already know this, but there certainly isn't any point in denying it. It seems that they're always anouncing new ports of old games I've already played, so I guess it's called Playstation PORTable for a reason. I mean, there's the Megaman games, Final Fantasy Tactics, Devil May Cry, Burnout, Gitaroo Man, Suikiden, Vandal Hearts, Gradius, Breath of Fire III, Power Stone, Castlevaina, the list goes on and on! It seems every time I come here someone announces another port for PSP. Sure a lot of these games are great, but why would I want to spend $40-$50 for an enhanced port of a game I played years ago?

At least with DS developers are encouraged to try new things with the system, not just use the sheer horsepower to revive outdated games with a few new visual bells and whistles. The number one reaon I probably won't ever feel compelled to buy a PSP is because I can get roughly the same experience elsewhere on another platform. Most of these fancy games people talk about I already own or have played on PS2. It's just not logical to me.

BobbyBobby85
For the same reason people buy Virtual Console games for the Wii.Because many people haven't played them. Sure if you've played or own them already there's hardly a reason to get them again, unless you would want them in portable form. But the many people that missed those games, actually see all those ports as a good thing, and a good way to play some great games they missed.
z1gs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 z1gs
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts
Well, from looking at the PSP games you listed, I think these games would all fit in.
mario kart.
animal crossing
mario64
new super mario bros
final fantasy
mega man
yoshi's island.
castlevania
metroid hunters

Brown52

agreed with everything but metroid since it really is different from all other metroid games, since there is full control, more centered around twich shooting instead of puzzles and the online multiplayer... and is there a megaman game on the ds?
Calroffz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Calroffz
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts
PSP has ports, DS has ports and remakes and whatever else they can milk out.
It doesn't matter, the only handheld I truly find to be fun is the Gameboy (Color).
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
No, games like Hotel Dusk, Trauma Center, etc.. are not ports.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
The Wii is a port box as well (in terms of many 3rd party games).
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BobbyBobby85

mario64
final fantasy III

Brown52

fixed

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
hoffgod , we don't use gamerankings

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts
Wait. The PSP has good games? :P
Kev_Unreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kev_Unreal
Member since 2007 • 2818 Posts

[QUOTE="Brown52"]Well, from looking at the PSP games you listed, I think these games would all fit in.
mario64
final fantasy III

BobbyBobby85

fixed

I don't think final fantasy III is a port.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
GTA:LCS, GTA:VCS, MGS: PO, SF: DM... :|
da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 da1on2
Member since 2006 • 4885 Posts
No.
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BobbyBobby85
[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

[QUOTE="Brown52"]Well, from looking at the PSP games you listed, I think these games would all fit in.
mario64
final fantasy III

Kev_Unreal

fixed

Technically, outside of Japan it isn't a port, but I don't wanna make the guy look bad.

Brown52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brown52

mario64
final fantasy III

BobbyBobby85

fixed

[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]Megaman games, Final Fantasy Tactics, Devil May Cry, Burnout, Gitaroo Man, Suikiden, Vandal Hearts, Gradius, Breath of Fire III, Power Stone, Castlevaina,

So all these games are direct ports then?
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BobbyBobby85

GTA:LCS, GTA:VCS, MGS: PO, SF: DM... :|
foxhound_fox

The GTA PSP games are a joke.  If it were up to me, I would consider them ports based on their unoriginality and reused maps alone.  But I'll play fair for you folks, despite the fact that Rockstar already had 90% of the work cut out for them in making those titles...

BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BobbyBobby85
[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

mario64
final fantasy III

Brown52

fixed

Megaman games, Final Fantasy Tactics, Devil May Cry, Burnout, Gitaroo Man, Suikiden, Vandal Hearts, Gradius, Breath of Fire III, Power Stone, Castlevaina, BobbyBobby85

Nonsense.  If you had read my original post, I referred to them as enhanced ports.  There are very few games on any platform that are "direct" ports.

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts

i like being able to carry around my wireless ps2.

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
The DS has its fair share of ports and remakes too.
Sheep seem to forget about them though because the PSP's graphics makes everything look like a PS2 port while the DS graphics don't make you think GC.

And anyways, the PSP has a lot more diversity when it comes to genres.
Close to 1/3 of the DS' AAA and AA games are 2D side scrollers. Innovation FTW. :roll:
zeonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zeonne
Member since 2003 • 5600 Posts
daxter is a port? siphon filter is a port? mgs portal ops? wipeout pure? tekken DA? socom fireteam bravo 1& 2? no no no no no no
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hoffgod
hoffgod , we don't use gamerankings

Nike_Air
I used GameRankings to get a general concensus. I could do this with GameSpot scores, but it would be skewed, as GS is VERY generous towards the PSP in its rankings. GameRankings: AAA: 1 AA: 29 GameSpot: AAA: 5 AA: 46 Notice a bit of a difference? Besides, the results would still be largely the same. You'd be adding in lots of stuff like Sid Meiers Pirates!, Sega Genesis Collection, Def Jam: Fight For New York, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, and so on.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 coolguy1111
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
And ti being a port makes it bad? Also, Ratchet and clank, which wil be better then every DS game, isnt a port.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

mario64
final fantasy III

Kev_Unreal

fixed

Yea its a port from ***.
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DireToad
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]hoffgod , we don't use gamerankings

Hoffgod
I used GameRankings to get a general concensus. I could do this with GameSpot scores, but it would be skewed, as GS is VERY generous towards the PSP in its rankings. GameRankings: AAA: 1 AA: 29 GameSpot: AAA: 5 AA: 46 Notice a bit of a difference? Besides, the results would still be largely the same. You'd be adding in lots of stuff like Sid Meiers Pirates!, Sega Genesis Collection, Def Jam: Fight For New York, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, and so on.

Too bad.
We still don't use GR.

:cry:
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BobbyBobby85

Sheep seem to forget about them though because the PSP's graphics makes everything look like a PS2 port while the DS graphics don't make you think GC.

Close to 1/3 of the DS' AAA and AA games are 2D side scrollers. Innovation FTW. :roll:
DireToad

Made up statistics FTL.  Elit Beat Agents?  Advance Wars?  Trauma Center?  Phonex Wright?  Metroid Hunters?  Brain Age?  Hotel Dusk?  Yeah, those are some of my favorite 2D sidescrollers... :roll:

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hoffgod

DireToad
Innovation? Lets see the PSP try to do stuff like Kirby Canvas Curse, Elite Beat Agents, or Trauma Center: Under the Knife. And where are the games like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Animal Crossing: Wild World, and Clubhouse Games? Amazing what you see when you only look at what you want to look at.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hoffgod
[QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]hoffgod , we don't use gamerankings

DireToad

Too bad.
We still don't use GR.

:cry: ? Whatever. Even if I did the same analysis with GameSpot, the results would be largely the same, just in greater numbers. My point still stands.
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BobbyBobby85

Too bad.
We still don't use GR.

DireToad

Yep. And the rest of us non-GS faithful use a general consensus that actually makes sense.  Oh well, at least you're right here at System Wars.

da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 da1on2
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]hoffgod , we don't use gamerankings

Hoffgod

Actually, no it's just that different sites have different opinions on what is AAA on the sistem, while most DS games that are AAA are generallyy agreed on my most sites just like how Loco Roco is a 7.9 here but AAA at other places as a matter of fact, if you go to most of those individual sites, DS and PSP usually have the same amount of AAA
JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts
mario kart.
animal crossing
mario64
new super mario bros
final fantasy
mega man
yoshi's island.
castlevania
metroid hunters

Brown52

obviously you have no idea what a port is

mario kart, super mario bros DS, mega man, yoshi's island, castlevania, and metroid prime hunters are SEQUALS

by your logic, if those are ports - then the new FF 13 is going to be a port for the PS3, halo is 3 is a port for the 360, MGS 4 is a port, devil may cry 4 is a port - you get the idea

i can't believe people still don't understand the difference between a port and a sequel
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Hoffgod
[QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]hoffgod , we don't use gamerankings

da1on2

Actually, no it's just that different sites have different opinions on what is AAA on the sistem, while most DS games that are AAA are generallyy agreed on my most sites just like how Loco Roco is a 7.9 here but AAA at other places as a matter of fact, if you go to most of those individual sites, DS and PSP usually have the same amount of AAA

I understand. However, just looking at this from a statistical analysis point of view, I'd rather be using a sample with a larger number of inputs (GR) than a smaller one (GS). When I say GS has been generous to the PSP, I'm not saying it's biased towards the PSP, I'm saying in the bell curve of ratings, they're on the right side of the graph.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 coolguy1111
Whats the difference between a "sequal", but really is a remake, that has the exact gameplay as the first? PSP has the "real" games, like NH07, Socom, Ratchet and clank, stuff like that. DS gets games like Mario, a 2d platformer, Mario Racing, Diddy Racing... Wheres the awesome DS titles, because i cant see them.
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DireToad

[QUOTE="DireToad"]The DS has its fair share of ports and remakes too.

BobbyBobby85

Made up statistics FTL. Elit Beat Agents? Advance Wars? Trauma Center? Phonex Wright? Metroid Hunters? Brain Age? Hotel Dusk? Yeah, those are some of my favorite 2D sidescrollers... :roll:

AAA
Mario Kart DS
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Nintendogs
Yoshi's Island DS
New Super Mario Bros.

AA
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Elite Beat Agents
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Meteos
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Super Mario 64 DS
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
Metroid Prime Pinball
Sonic Rush
Nintendogs: Dalmatian and Friends
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Bomberman Land Touch!
Clubhouse Games

Let's see...
Out of 24 games, 7 are 2D side scrollers.
That makes 29% which would mean that...

DireToad

I guess you just fail at math huh?
da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 da1on2
[QUOTE="da1on2"][QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]hoffgod , we don't use gamerankings

Hoffgod

I understand. However, just looking at this from a statistical analysis point of view, I'd rather be using a sample with a larger number of inputs (GR) than a smaller one (GS). When I say GS has been generous to the PSP, I'm not saying it's biased towards the PSP, I'm saying in the bell curve of ratings, they're on the right side of the graph.

Heres a smarter idea how about actually reading reviews and forming your own opinions
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hoffgod
Whats the difference between a "sequal", but really is a remake, that has the exact gameplay as the first? PSP has the "real" games, like NH07, Socom, Ratchet and clank, stuff like that. DS gets games like Mario, a 2d platformer, Mario Racing, Diddy Racing... Wheres the awesome DS titles, because i cant see them.coolguy1111
Wait, wait, what? I'm sorry, that didn't make any sense. And if you're looking for the awesome DS titles look at stuff like Elite Beat Agents, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, and Trauma Center: Under the Knife. Or are those not "real" games.
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DireToad

[QUOTE="DireToad"]

Too bad.
We still don't use GR.

BobbyBobby85

Yep. And the rest of us non-GS faithful use a general consensus that actually makes sense. Oh well, at least you're right here at System Wars.

What you're still arguing about the whole "Let's use GR instead of GS scores" thing?
I guess you missed the memo. Or maybe you'll just revert to using the GS ratings when it suits your argument.
Either way, welcome the to Gamespot forums.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
in games: DS > PSP. no question. but PSP does a metric ton of things very very well. just one thing not quite as well as the DS. I wouldn't trade anything for my open PSP.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 coolguy1111
[QUOTE="coolguy1111"]Whats the difference between a "sequal", but really is a remake, that has the exact gameplay as the first? PSP has the "real" games, like NH07, Socom, Ratchet and clank, stuff like that. DS gets games like Mario, a 2d platformer, Mario Racing, Diddy Racing... Wheres the awesome DS titles, because i cant see them.Hoffgod
Wait, wait, what? I'm sorry, that didn't make any sense. And if you're looking for the awesome DS titles look at stuff like Elite Beat Agents, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, and Trauma Center: Under the Knife. Or are those not "real" games.

Notice the quotes on real. Im saying real as in the normal games of today. Wow, sheep lol. And ill take NH07, Socom, and Ratchet and clank over them.
da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 da1on2
[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

DireToad

Made up statistics FTL. Elit Beat Agents? Advance Wars? Trauma Center? Phonex Wright? Metroid Hunters? Brain Age? Hotel Dusk? Yeah, those are some of my favorite 2D sidescrollers... :roll:

AAA
Mario Kart DS
Nintendogs
Yoshi's Island DS
New Super Mario Bros.

AA
Elite Beat Agents
Meteos
Super Mario 64 DS
Metroid Prime Pinball
Sonic Rush
Bomberman Land Touch!
Clubhouse Games

Let's see...

DireToad

thats one game away from 1/3, so i guess his point still stands and if you exclude dalmation and friends it makes it even closer to the truth since its the same as the other nintendogs
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hoffgod
[QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="coolguy1111"]Whats the difference between a "sequal", but really is a remake, that has the exact gameplay as the first? PSP has the "real" games, like NH07, Socom, Ratchet and clank, stuff like that. DS gets games like Mario, a 2d platformer, Mario Racing, Diddy Racing... Wheres the awesome DS titles, because i cant see them.coolguy1111

Notice the quotes on real. Im saying real as in the normal games of today. Wow, sheep lol. And ill take NH07, Socom, and Ratchet and clank over them.

Just for future reference, sarcasm doesn't convey well over the internet. But, then again, I should've picked up on that. Too much studying has fried my brain...
BobbyBobby85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BobbyBobby85
[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

DireToad

AAA
Mario Kart DS
Nintendogs
Yoshi's Island DS
New Super Mario Bros.

AA
Elite Beat Agents
Meteos
Super Mario 64 DS
Metroid Prime Pinball
Sonic Rush
Bomberman Land Touch!
Clubhouse Games

Let's see...

DireToad

No, I just don't waste my time looking up scores from one site and trying to use them against users in an attempt to "own" people.  Like I said before, I don't go by GS scores, and BTW Many of the DS sidescrollers are hella overrated (beside POR of course).  Alternatively, if you look at the rest of DS's library, you'll see that there are a great number of highly original games, as opposed to the PSP which consists of lots of ports and sports.

Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts
[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]

mario64
final fantasy III

Brown52

fixed

[QUOTE="BobbyBobby85"]Megaman games, Final Fantasy Tactics, Devil May Cry, Burnout, Gitaroo Man, Suikiden, Vandal Hearts, Gradius, Breath of Fire III, Power Stone, Castlevaina,

Yes. With the exception of Burnout.
Carlins123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Carlins123
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
in genesis/snes era was the same and nobody cries about it