Mortal Kombat 11 has sold nearly 50% fewer physical copies than MK 10

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (34363 posts) -

I know we are going to get "go woke go broke" from people who want to touch a woman, but also hate them. But its genuinely not a great game. The design is bad on so many different fronts, right down to the UI. Hopefully games like DBZF sold more.

The physical sales for Mortal Kombat 11 show it sold nearly 50% fewer copies than MK 10.

Mortal Kombat 11 is out and – although the reviews have been extremely positive – its physical sales show that it has sold nearly 50% fewer copies than MK 10.

The latest installment in the Mortal Kombat series has seen some controversy because of its excessive grinding and microtransactions.

A recent hot topic accused Mortal Kombat 11 of charging over $6,000 for the game’s entire line-up of kosmetics (an allegation creator Ed Boon laughed off). This accusation came as a result of the game’s largely criticised Krpyt grinding.

NetherRealm “resolved” this hinderance with one of the game’s updates, but patch 1.04 has forced players to grind again by removing the Head and Soul farming glitches.

Mortal Kombat 11 has sold nearly 50% fewer physical copies than MK 10

Per MCV, Mortal Kombat 11 was only the second best-selling game in April for the UK (from a physical copies perspective). Yes, despite Mortal Kombat 11 being on the market longer, Sony’s Days Gone pipped NetherRealm to the number 1 spot (Bend Studio’s biggest project to date is also 2019’s biggest launch).

Not only was Mortal Kombat 11 number 2 for its first week in the UK charts thanks to Days Gone, but its sales were also 43.6% down compared to the launch of Mortal Kombat 10back in 2015.

Warner Bros. Interactive’s president, David Haddad, recently announced that Mortal Kombat 11 put in the series’ best launch, so the decline in physical sales pretty much means that more people have shifted to digital purchases.

Mortal Kombat 11 is available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

#2 Posted by Ant_17 (12736 posts) -

Damn, Rhonda really was a bad pick.

#3 Posted by djoffer (1429 posts) -

It’s physical only, so pretty meaningless to deduct anything from it..

#4 Posted by uninspiredcup (34363 posts) -

@djoffer said:

People always use this line when sales are shitty.

MKX was digital as well.

#5 Posted by djoffer (1429 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: still 2015 sales vs 2019, everything is digital on the pc now and would assume ps/Xbox is also a lot more digital now.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#6 Edited by SolidGame_basic (24362 posts) -

I ended up not buying this game because 1) it looks more or less the same as the previous game 2) I really dislike their business practices. Why lock Shao Kahn behind a preorder? Why advertise Frost as DLC when you can get her by beating the story mode? How come the character roster is lacking? And then there's all of that grindy/microtransaction stuff. So at this point, not really interested. I'm actually more excited for Samurai Shodown although I'm keeping my expectations low until I get more info.

#7 Edited by Pedro (35451 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@djoffer said:

People always use this line when sales are shitty.

MKX was digital as well.

Except physical has been trending down while digital up, so @djoffer is right.

#8 Posted by Vaidream45 (2009 posts) -

This doesn’t include digital sales so it kinda means nothing.....

#9 Posted by Archangel3371 (28400 posts) -

Meh. It’s based on physical sales and those have continued to trend downward so simply saying that physical sales are lower then the previous game doesn’t really mean much on its own.

#10 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

"Excellent! Superb!"

/Shao Khan voice

I'm glad I didn't buy it lol. I dislike NR's business practices and I'm also hating the fact they are going with "woke" designs for the females.

#11 Posted by Rockman999 (7508 posts) -

It's 2019 folks, the majority of the civilized world has good enough internet to download games and guess what? Most people don't give a damn about physical copies anymore. Shocking, I know.

#12 Posted by Telekill (8550 posts) -

I'd have bought it but I'm waiting for the Komplete edition with all characters included.

#13 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36478 posts) -
@SolidGame_basic said:

I ended up not buying this game because 1) it looks more or less the same as the previous game 2) I really dislike their business practices. Why lock Shao Kahn behind a preorder? Why advertise Frost as DLC when you can get her by beating the story mode? How come the character roster is lacking? And then there's all of that grindy/microtransaction stuff. So at this point, not really interested. I'm actually more excited for Samurai Shodown although I'm keeping my expectations low until I get more info.

You don't even have to do that. I got her by the end of Chapter 4. And besides, at least Frost is easy to unlock. DBFZ, an admittedly better game, did something much worse with two forms of characters ALREADY playable and like Frost, are unlockable but through a much more difficult objective. And worse, separated their baseforms as DLC (which I shamefully admit, bought... but still, there was no reason to separate them as DLC).

Not excusing NRS for this practice, but I am saying it's a trend in fighters.

#14 Posted by schu (10054 posts) -

When it all shakes down I think that the sales will be fine personally.

#15 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36478 posts) -
@son-goku7523 said:

"Excellent! Superb!"

/Shao Khan voice

I'm glad I didn't buy it lol. I dislike NR's business practices and I'm also hating the fact they are going with "woke" designs for the females.

Because the number one thing I think of in Mortal Kombat, I think scantly clad women (which I'm not against, but if the artist wants to change something as small as that) before I think of the blood and the gore. That's like boycotting Smash Bros. because you can no longer play as Zero Suit Samus and can only play her armored (which wasn't a thing until Brawl).

But seriously, there are many more fighters if you want that "fanservice" itch. DOA, Soulcalibur, and Tekken being among them.

#16 Edited by uninspiredcup (34363 posts) -

The actual female designs are mostly fine. Some of them look pretty good. A couple of the models like Sonya Blade and Jacqui Briggs just look like shit.

is this bad? Looks pretty fucking good to me.

The in-game animations (you know the thing that EFFECTS THE GAMEPLAY) is fucking abysmal. Maybe if you complained about that instead of tittys you'd have a game that doesn't suck butt.

But I guess that's what they like about it.

You basically have jerkoffs banging their dial-a-combo with no wind-up and no rhyme nor reason. The game rewards people for spamming, basically. It's almost impossible to follow and if you do, good luck punishing it.

#17 Posted by warmblur (2798 posts) -

I'm enjoying it much more then 10 the only thing I hate is the grinding for soul fragments and hearts they need to balance that shit out other then that the game is great the whole woke thing is a bit annoying but it's not a huge deal for me.

#18 Posted by Archangel3371 (28400 posts) -

I picked this up this weekend and recently finished the story mode. I found it to be pretty damn epic and satisfying, really enjoyed it. Played a couple of characters through the classic towers which is akin to “arcade mode” and it’s cool that they each get their own little endings. Am currently playing in the Krypt right now and finding it quite cool. Still need to play the Time Towers, online, and some other stuff. Tried some of the tutorial section and that seems to be very detailed and informative. There’s an absolute ton of content in this game. So far I am very happy with it myself.

#19 Posted by AJStyles (1023 posts) -

This game came out?

I believe this was 100% poor timing and poor marketing. I am also a firm believer that fighting games should come out once a gen. We already have MKX.

This should have been a PS5 launch window game. It would have gave them more time to fix all the horrible problems it currently suffers from too.

#20 Posted by Robbie23 (381 posts) -

It feels like MK mobile and MK 11 are very similar, haha.

#21 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:
@son-goku7523 said:

"Excellent! Superb!"

/Shao Khan voice

Because the number one thing I think of in Mortal Kombat, I think scantly clad women (which I'm not against, but if the artist wants to change something as small as that) before I think of the blood and the gore. That's like boycotting Smash Bros. because you can no longer play as Zero Suit Samus and can only play her armored (which wasn't a thing until Brawl).

But seriously, there are many more fighters if you want that "fanservice" itch. DOA, Soulcalibur, and Tekken being among them.

I'm not looking for "fan service". I just want the females to look presentable.

Wtf is this? This isn't what I think of when I think about Sonya Blade...

The females don't have to look like DOA girls or wear bikinis but they don't have to look butt ugly either. There's a happy middle ground and its clear NR isn't interested in the middle ground. Kitana and Frost don't look bad but the other females in the game look atrocious to me.

@uninspiredcup said:

The actual female designs are mostly fine. Some of them look pretty good. A couple of the models like Sonya Blade and Jacqui Briggs just look like shit.

The in-game animations (you know the thing that EFFECTS THE GAMEPLAY) is fucking abysmal. Maybe if you complained about that instead of tittys you'd have a game that doesn't suck butt.

You basically have jerkoffs banging their dial-a-combo with no wind-up and no rhyme nor reason. The game rewards people for spamming, basically. It's almost impossible to follow and if you do, good luck punishing it.

^ ^ Is that an alternative outfit for her? That's not bad at all. I thought she was supposed to look like this in game...

^ ^ Ewww.

#22 Posted by Litchie (24134 posts) -

I want a good fighting game. When's Samurai Spirits coming out?

#23 Posted by phbz (4586 posts) -

Without knowing how many were the digital sales it's kind of pointless to deduct anything. But I hope sales were shit.

#24 Posted by sealionact (4081 posts) -

Yeah I think it's time for posts talking about how much less games have sold physically to end.....peoples buying habits have changed, and places like Gamestop are struggling because of it.

#25 Posted by DaVillain- (37531 posts) -

I'm one of the few who is cool with these MK female models and I actually like them, not sure what the fellas are bitching about? They look fine to me, and I think that's the least of our concerns over the game.

Anyways, still enjoying the game, playing the Towers for the most parts and glad it's selling well rather it's physical or digital. I got the PC version and it's been good to me for the past weeks now.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#26 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3351 posts) -

Is this UK physical only?

That “over $6,000 to unlock everything” complaint is $100% bullshit and people need to stop saying it. You can’t just up and buy everything with in game currency.

Wasn’t there an article recently discussing how this MK11 launch was the biggest in the franchises history? Could UK be an outlier? (A pretty convenient outlier for you incel man-babies)

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#27 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12899 posts) -

I didn't buy it for several reasons. And I'm not surprised sales are down. There wasn't nearly as much hype for this one as X had. Most of the talk surrounding it has been about the MTX, weak roster, bad female designs, etc

#28 Posted by VFighter (5119 posts) -

@Rockman999: Wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong.

#29 Posted by Rockman999 (7508 posts) -

@vfighter: Nothing beats going over to my homie's house carrying only my external hard drive and fight stick but whatever makes you feel better I guess. 🤷🏿‍♂️

#30 Posted by Xabiss (2853 posts) -

Game is fun, looks great, runs great, and all around a great game. I will wait to judge sales when we know what digital did.

#31 Edited by uninspiredcup (34363 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@son-goku7523 said:

"Excellent! Superb!"

/Shao Khan voice

I'm not looking for "fan service". I just want the females to look presentable.

Wtf is this? This isn't what I think of when I think about Sonya Blade...

The females don't have to look like DOA girls or wear bikinis but they don't have to look butt ugly either. There's a happy middle ground and its clear NR isn't interested in the middle ground. Kitana and Frost don't look bad but the other females in the game look atrocious to me.

@uninspiredcup said:

^ ^ Is that an alternative outfit for her? That's not bad at all. I thought she was supposed to look like this in game...

^ ^ Ewww.

I don't get it. It's basically the exact same model except with shorter hair and the skin-patches introverted.

It basically looks like Audrey Hepburn. You know, the woman widely considered as one of the most attractive woman in cinema?

I mean, here's a face from MK9.

#32 Posted by foxhound_fox (98011 posts) -

@son-goku7523:

Because MK9 had great looking women...

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#33 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29200 posts) -

Probably explains why they were on sale so quickly after the first week. Got my Switch copy.

#34 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36478 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Probably explains why they were on sale so quickly after the first week. Got my Switch copy.

Same. No regrets.

#35 Posted by DaVillain- (37531 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@son-goku7523:

That's because they did had good looking woman in MK9. But really though, what are you guys looking for in MK females? Is it to be slutty fighters or what? I don't have any issues with MK11 females, I'm currently using Cetrion only because she looks like Aloy from Horizon and hey, she's sexy for a Goddess of Nature lol.

The females is the least of this game's worries.

#36 Posted by Fedor (5269 posts) -

I blame Ronda Rousey.

#37 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

I don't get it. It's basically the exact same model except with shorter hair and the skin-patches introverted.

It basically looks like Audrey Hepburn. You know, the woman widely considered as one of the most attractive woman in cinema?

LOL, I'm not seeing Audrey Hepburn in that face. She looks butt ugly to me.

@foxhound_fox said:

@son-goku7523:

Yea MK9's women's faces were butt ugly but you could say they were suffering from bad design and from UE3. That engine is notoriously terrible when it comes to women. But NR have shown that they can make decent looking women in Injustice 2. They went from Wonder Woman looking like a monstrosity in the first game to actually looking human...

NR is very capable of making faces that aren't extremely scary looking or butt ugly. Injustice 2 using the same engine released only 2 years apart shows they are very capable of making nice looking female faces and models if they want to...

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#38 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29200 posts) -

This is like after a terrorist attack and the small unresponsible groups are scrambling to take credit.

#39 Edited by uninspiredcup (34363 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

LOL, I'm not seeing Audrey Hepburn in in that face. She looks butt ugly to me.

Really? This is what gamers would deem an ugly woman? Pretty fucking high standards, must say.

Her design of heavy Gothic makeup and Eastern-European appearance matches more thematically with her character than MK9 as well.

The leathery/plasticy material of her costume and coloring seems to be inspired by the opening of Bram Strokers Dracula. Could be wrong.

Loading Video...

#40 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: XD I'm not seeing it lol. If I eventually get MK11 sometime in the future, I'm gonna cover up her face with the ninja mask. Her face scares me lol.

#41 Edited by uninspiredcup (34363 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:

@uninspiredcup: XD I'm not seeing it lol. If I eventually get MK11 sometime in the future, I'm gonna ever up her face with the ninja mask. Her face scares me lol.

If you have a choice, i'd pick up something like DBZF, SFV or Tekken instead.

The game sucks ass. it's badly designed and very buggy.

Hell, I recall Conan_The_Stoner saying a while back he'd rather the Killer Instinct guys took over the franchise, he's right. That game barring dumb ass auto-QTE's is way better.

#42 Posted by musicalmac (25027 posts) -

What I think is interesting about this all is that with the increasing ease of digital game sales, it'll be easier to track total sales across the board. If we looked at any major sequels of this type, and compared them across the span of time, how much sales are affected by the change and how much more accurate our total sales numbers might be.

This is less about MKXI and more about digital sales across the board.

#43 Posted by foxhound_fox (98011 posts) -

@davillain- said:

That's because they did had good looking woman in MK9. But really though, what are you guys looking for in MK females? Is it to be slutty fighters or what? I don't have any issues with MK11 females, I'm currently using Cetrion only because she looks like Aloy from Horizon and hey, she's sexy for a Goddess of Nature lol.

The females is the least of this game's worries.

In what way are Kitana and Sonya "good looking" in MK9? "Butter face" doesn't even apply because they look like they got hit with a Mack truck, lol. At least Jade is half decent in the face, but her MKX and 11 models are significantly improved.

Netherrealm had some terrible character artists at that time, at least when it came to crafting human faces (which is why I think they hid everyone behind masks).

I personally like what they've done with the MK11 females and find their characterization in MK9 to be quite gratuitous. But then again, the males are also fairly over-emphasized as well.

#44 Posted by KBFloYd (21892 posts) -

so thats why days gone outsold it mortal kombat? because MK flopped? lol

congrats on outselling a flop sony.

#45 Posted by Ant_17 (12736 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

I'l remember this if Nintendo VR beats PSVR.

#46 Posted by KBFloYd (21892 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:
@KBFloYd said:

I'l remember this if Nintendo VR beats PSVR.

so now we are comparing a whole video game technology to a game?

ok...

you go ahead and use that against me.

#47 Posted by Ant_17 (12736 posts) -

@KBFloYd: I will. I will also use it when Switch beats the Bone.

#48 Edited by KBFloYd (21892 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

@KBFloYd: I will. I will also use it when Switch beats the Bone.

you going to try and damage control switch sales by saying it only beat the x1?

you know switch beat the n64 the gamecube and the xbox, the dreamcast, the sega saturn, the sega genesis

shall i continue?

#49 Posted by That_Old_Guy (1236 posts) -

@djoffer: everything was digital on PC since like 2009.

Anyway hopefully people realized that the combat in the MK series is bland copy and paste for each character.

After getting into a game like Tekken7....man, MK is way behind. The only thing it has going for it is it’s “mature” gore.

#50 Posted by Ant_17 (12736 posts) -

@KBFloYd: Congrats on beating flops.