More PS4 Info. What is inside the lastest PS4 Dev Kit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

SPECS

We'll begin with the specs. And before we go any further, know that these are current specs for a PS4 development kit, not the final retail console itself. So while the general gist of the things you see here may be similar to what makes it into the actual commercial hardware, there's every chance someif not all of itchanges, if only slightly.

That being the case, here's what we know is inside PS4 development kitsmodel # DVKT-KS000Kas of January 2013. As you'll see, some things have changed since earlier kits became available in March 2012.

• System Memory: 8GB
  • Video Memory: 2.2 GB
  • CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)
  • GPU: AMD R10xx
  • Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet
  • Drive: Blu-Ray
  • HDD: 160GB
  • Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels
  • If you think the HDD is small, remember, these are the specs for a machine that developers are using to make games on, not the console you'll own and be storing media on. And don't worry about having two ethernet ports; as this is a dev kit, one is there for local sharing/testing purposes.

Interestingly, while some of these specs (such as the 8x core CPU) match with those reported by Digital Foundry only a few days ago, others like the RAM (DF reported 4GB of GDDR5, while we've heard 8GB) differ.

CONTROLLER

There is a new controller in development for the PS4, though, known internally as the Orbis Development Tool, and while it keeps many of the same features as the current padslike the four iconic PlayStation face buttons, two thumbsticks and shoulder triggersthere's one key addition.

British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen. Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button.

The PS4's controller will again be capable of motion-sensing, like its PS3 predecessors, only now with improved technology like tilt correction. It will also feature vibration, which Sony has thankfully learned is a next-gen feature you need to launch with. It'll also have an RGB LED light in it.

While there have been reports of the PS4 controller featuring "biometric" technology, there was no mention of it in the information we were provided.

ACCOUNTS

The PlayStation 4 Has A New Controller, Fancy User Accounts And Impressive Specs (So Far)

Sony is trying to change the way you think about user accounts with the PS4. As it stands now, and this applies to all current consoles (and the Wii U), when you log in, you log in as a single user. With Orbis, Sony is moving the place of "ownership" away from the console, with something it calls "multi-user simultaneous logins."

Which means that the PS4 will let more than one person be logged into the same system at the same time. It achieves this by linking control pads to user accounts; as each new controller syncs with the system, that player's account can be logged in as well. Accounts won't be "locked" to a controller; you'll simply be prompted to sign in to an account every time an extra pad is connected to the console.

One application we learned about for this feature would be that, were four players in a co-op battle able to defeat a boss, then all four would receive trophies.

We only learned of this feature in relation to local accounts stored on the console itself. It's unclear whether you'd also be able to do this via the PlayStation Network if you were playing online.

Link

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
The CPU is the confusing part. I think it means. 4 Bulldozer Modules with 2 shared resource cores in each module.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

honestly I don't care anymore. Too many "leaks" and "rumours". I'll wait till they say it properly

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

think ps4 will be alot better then the ps3 was even if it aint as a big step up in power as we would want. i think ps3 was sonys worst console to date. i think it was made more to push blu ray then it was made for being a game system.ps4 should be all about gaming and if it is ill be buying 1.even though i lost out 500 bucks on the 60 gig ps3 and maybe soon 350 for my ps3 slim.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

"No gimmick included" is the best part about it so far.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Don't dev kits usually have double the ram?
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Don't dev kits usually have double the ram?RR360DD

I have no idea, but it would seem illogical - devs would develop something that runs on their dev kit and it turns out to lack RAM on the retail version of the console?

It would seem to make more sense if Sony decided to make it 8 GB of DDR3 instead of 4 GB of GDDR5 to save some money. But Im just guessing ofc.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

It's essentially 4 dual AMD processors with built in GPUs. This is what's being rumored on many sites. This means a lot more powerful than the PS3 and it will go from a 2x Bluray Drive to a 4x Bluray drive. So twice as fast reading of the bluray drive. Also they will be using much higher capacity Bluray discs. And it will either have 8GB or 16GB or RAM.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clr84651

Don't dev kits usually have double the ram?RR360DD

The dev kits that have been sent out have 16GB of RAM. So it is unclear whether the PS4 will have 8GB or 16GB of RAM. Only Sony's unveiling of the actual system will it then be known which they decided to go with.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I have no idea, but it would seem illogical - devs would develop something that runs on their dev kit and it turns out to lack RAM on the retail version of the console?

It would seem to make more sense if Sony decided to make it 8 GB of DDR3 instead of 4 GB of GDDR5 to save some money. But Im just guessing ofc.

BlbecekBobecek

Dev kits need RAM for things like testing and debugging. They typically get 2x more RAM in order to help. The software is still designed for the commercial model, though.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]Don't dev kits usually have double the ram?BlbecekBobecek

The dev kits do have more RAM but only because they have debugging and monitoring software running as well.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts
I actually hope it's not 8GB of RAM because if it is it's probably ddr3 instead of ddr5. Unless you're making a multimedia box that needs to multitask less, but faster RAM is better IMO.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]Don't dev kits usually have double the ram?BlbecekBobecek

They need more ram becuase games are often not optimized and running debug tools takes a lot of ram. You can simulate reduced amounts of ram in a debug environment. Limit your program to only X amount of ram.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
I like the multi-user part. Maybe this mean we'll also get more local mulitplayer games.. :)
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clr84651

If the CPU specs for the PS4 are correct? It puts the PS4 50% more powerful than the 3rd Xbox.About 1.83Teraflops vs 1.23Teraflops. However this was the case with the PS3 vs 360 and it didn't equate into better graphics. Has Sony figured out how to equate this extra power into making the best games? Only time will tell.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts
I actually hope it's not 8GB of RAM because if it is it's probably ddr3 instead of ddr5. Unless you're making a multimedia box that needs to multitask less, but faster RAM is better IMO.Shielder7
Well every rumor and source so far has been saying it's using 4G DDR5 so I'm guessing this dev kit has 8G DDR5.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

VRAM of 2.2GB.

That's slightly bigger than my GTX 670. But I don't think the processing power will be any close.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

BlbecekBobecek

I agree. If Sony doesn't force casual gimmicks down our throat I'll stick with them another gen. Though if the 720 isn't tied to the hip with Kinect I may jump ship to MS.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clr84651

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

Boddicker

I agree. If Sony doesn't force casual gimmicks down our throat I'll stick with them another gen. Though if the 720 isn't tied to the hip with Kinect I may jump ship to MS.

Sony needs to keep the PS4 much like the PS3 is. Controllers much the same, free online gaming, bluray etc. Improved graphics, processing power, user interface, and much faster disc reading speed. Hopefully a faster WIFI port too.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

So because devkits usually have twice as much memory to run debugging stuff this means:

4GB RAM, with 1GB of that going towards VRAM, 3GB left over for the system. Possibly with the OS taking up 512MB to 1GB.

Potentially meaning 2GB SYSTEM +1GB VRAM set up, after the OS hogs memory

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bonesawisready5

VRAM of 2.2GB.

That's slightly bigger than my GTX 670. But I don't think the processing power will be any close.

GamerwillzPS

Devkits usually have twice as much memory as the final retail units. We're looking at 1GB most likely, and probably shared from a the 4GB system RAM

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts
[QUOTE="Shielder7"]I actually hope it's not 8GB of RAM because if it is it's probably ddr3 instead of ddr5. Unless you're making a multimedia box that needs to multitask less, but faster RAM is better IMO.Blazerdt47
Well every rumor and source so far has been saying it's using 4G DDR5 so I'm guessing this dev kit has 8G DDR5.

Yeah, but it's strange that these specs have it's own video memory though. I would guess the 2.2GB is GDDR5, and the system RAM is DDR3. But like you said, the rumors so far has been the unified GDDR5, so it's a bit strange that these specs have two different RAM types. Either way, 2.2GB of GDDR5 video memory isn't bad.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Yeah lets trust anonymous sources that have nothing to gain but everything to lose. You guys are dumb if you believe this.
Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Martin_G_N

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

VRAM of 2.2GB.

bonesawisready5

Devkits usually have twice as much memory as the final retail units. We're looking at 1GB most likely, and probably shared from a the 4GB system RAM

Not more video memory right?? They usually have twice the system memory, but not more video memory??

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clr84651

So because devkits usually have twice as much memory to run debugging stuff this means:

4GB RAM, with 1GB of that going towards VRAM, 3GB left over for the system. Possibly with the OS taking up 512MB to 1GB.

bonesawisready5

No, the dev kits have 16GB of RAM. So PS4 would have at least 8GB of RAM.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clr84651

OK, so worst case scenario is PS4 has 3GB of RAM to run it's games, 1GB to run it's OS and the 3rd Xbox would have 5GB to run it's games and 3GB to run it's OS is what I'm reading. However the PS3 would have greater processing power with it's CPUs. 150% the processing power of the 360.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clr84651

Yeah lets trust anonymous sources that have nothing to gain but everything to lose. You guys are dumb if you believe this. DaBrainz

I believe nothing about PS4 until Sony announces it. However we are talking about the possibilities here, which are not carved in stone by MS or Sony.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

VRAM of 2.2GB.

Martin_G_N

Not more video memory right?? They usually have twice the system memory, but not more video memory??

Yeah I don't see why they would need twice the video memory to debug. The debug wrapper is almost certianly only in system RAM. Just like in a PC, I can debug a renderer without using up more vRAM. 2.2 GB sounds weird though...

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

Can't wait til this beast in on the market. Will definitely pick one up day one. Will also pick up a XB3 if MS actually makes some worthwhile games this time outside of Halo and Gears. I wonder when they will both release.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Sounds like a really good improvement from PS3. I will buy it day 1 if they have game that I like!! (Uncharted 4?? maybe??)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
Sounds good to me.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

clr84651

No, the dev kits have 16GB of RAM. So PS4 would have at least 8GB of RAM.

You know this how?

The rumor states the devkit has 8GB RAM, not 16GB. Most other rumors are pointing at 4GB GDDR5 memory in the final retail product too.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

meh more bullsh!t / rumor specs being use as fact :cool:

MarieWolfwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MarieWolfwood
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

That ID-tagged controller sounds too good to be true.

That'd be a dream!

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

i am guessing that .2 vram is some kind of memory added on kinda like how wii u has Edram.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

VRAM of 2.2GB.

GamerwillzPS

Excuse me but what's the most important thing in a graphics card? The Core Clock? I dunno much about hardware, I'm that software guy.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
You know, it would be nice if both Sony and MS didn't make retarded decisions by using IBM CPU's, and make it so difficult for devs to figure out the architecture. So hopefully it's true that they are going to use AMD.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shielder7
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"][QUOTE="Shielder7"]I actually hope it's not 8GB of RAM because if it is it's probably ddr3 instead of ddr5. Unless you're making a multimedia box that needs to multitask less, but faster RAM is better IMO.Martin_G_N

Yeah, but it's strange that these specs have it's own video memory though. I would guess the 2.2GB is GDDR5, and the system RAM is DDR3. But like you said, the rumors so far has been the unified GDDR5, so it's a bit strange that these specs have two different RAM types. Either way, 2.2GB of GDDR5 video memory isn't bad.

You would think using two different types of Ram like that would cause problems isn't better to use ddr5 or ddr3 across the board?
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shielder7

That ID-tagged controller sounds too good to be true.

That'd be a dream!

MarieWolfwood
Actually that just sounds like a gimmick to me I'm fine with the DS 3, If people want that for a controller just buy a vita its supposed to double as a controller for the PS 3 and PS 4 no?
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#40 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

BlbecekBobecek

that rear touch pad seams like a gimmick to me it was ON vita

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shielder7

OK, so worst case scenario is PS4 has 3GB of RAM to run it's games, 1GB to run it's OS and the 3rd Xbox would have 5GB to run it's games and 3GB to run it's OS is what I'm reading. However the PS3 would have greater processing power with it's CPUs. 150% the processing power of the 360.

clr84651
If it's 3 4GB of ddr5 it's actually a good scenario if you just want a gaming machine. Also I heard the PS 4 OS will only use 512MB of RAM. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the most crucial component of a console the GPU not so much the CPU?
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"][QUOTE="Shielder7"]I actually hope it's not 8GB of RAM because if it is it's probably ddr3 instead of ddr5. Unless you're making a multimedia box that needs to multitask less, but faster RAM is better IMO.Martin_G_N

Probably because these are rumored specs for the dev kit and other rumors were for the actual PS4.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts
Yeah lets trust anonymous sources that have nothing to gain but everything to lose. You guys are dumb if you believe this. DaBrainz
Don't you mean "everything to gain and nothing to lose"?
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

Relax and slap some preparation H on that sore bum.

People are only discussing the specs listed but that doesn't mean that they think it's exactly what is going to be in the box.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

If the CPU specs for the PS4 are correct? It puts the PS4 50% more powerful than the 3rd Xbox.About 1.83Teraflops vs 1.23Teraflops. However this was the case with the PS3 vs 360 and it didn't equate into better graphics. Has Sony figured out how to equate this extra power into making the best games? Only time will tell.

clr84651
ps3's best games were graphically better than 360's. What are you talking about?
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
like.. 1/2 %.. If there ever was a difference it's so little that only fanboiz can truly notice it lol.
Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Martin_G_N
[QUOTE="clr84651"]

Douevenlift_bro
ps3's best games were graphically better than 360's. What are you talking about?

Well, I would agree that the PS3 has some of the best looking titles that uses the hardware brilliantly. But the differences in power between the PS3 and X360 was small and the X360 had the easier and better architecture. But now, since these next gen consoles are both using existing PC tech from the same company, and has similar architectures. The difference in power could be more noticable. 1.23 Tflops vs 1.83 Tflops is a big difference...if true. We'll have to wait and see.
Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts
[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"][QUOTE="clr84651"]

Martin_G_N

Well, I would agree that the PS3 has some of the best looking titles that uses the hardware brilliantly. But the differences in power between the PS3 and X360 was small and the X360 had the easier and better architecture. But now, since these next gen consoles are both using existing PC tech from the same company, and has similar architectures. The difference in power could be more noticable. 1.23 Tflops vs 1.83 Tflops is a big difference...if true. We'll have to wait and see.

true true