MK11 on Switch should be called "oh shit the Notre Dame is on fire"

• 86 results
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (32807 posts) -

As a Switch owner, it's deeply embarrassing and i'm thankful for having the option of PC, where I don't need to pay online for objectively nothing and play a version that looks a generation behind.

How they could release this with a straight face is baffling.

#2 Posted by Telekill (8407 posts) -

Too soon.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#3 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24041 posts) -

I don't think anyone was expecting this to be on par with PS4 and Xbox. Switch owners will probably be happy they have a version to begin with.

#4 Posted by Archangel3371 (27584 posts) -

What? I think you tried too hard for that edgy humour. This doesn’t really make much sense.

Anyway I think this looks decent enough for the Switch and for many people will likely be enough to have a game like this to play on the go.

#5 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19582 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Why does this matter to you? It's common knowledge compromises had to be made to ensure the game runs 60 FPS both docked and handheld. I, personally see nothing wrong here as long is there's options to either go full graphics or go full portable.

Besides, while having nice fidelity is a big plus, it's not gonna help you win the Mortal Kombat Tournament from Shao Khan.

#6 Posted by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

Ugly. Something I realized about switch ports is that on video it can look good but once u get ur hand on it, its ugly as everyone tells you so.

#7 Edited by uninspiredcup (32807 posts) -
@Archangel3371 said:

Anyway I think this looks decent enough

That's a fascinating opinion my freind.

#8 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19582 posts) -
@Archangel3371 said:

What? I think you tried too hard for that edgy humour. This doesn’t really make much sense.

Anyway I think this looks decent enough for the Switch and for many people will likely be enough to have a game like this to play on the go.

The YouTube video did not state if it's actual on-screen footage from handheld or docked mode. Regardless, I felt that MK11 is one of the better Switch 3rd Party games developed.

#9 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25196 posts) -

Hopefully this video is rendering at least a 1080p version. Who releases 720p video in 2019?

And yeah, exclusives for the Switch are great, but playing at such an ungodly low resolution/settings for multiplats on a 300 dollar system would make me feel royally ripped off, as I've said before.

#10 Edited by uninspiredcup (32807 posts) -

@sakaixx said:

Ugly. Something I realized about switch ports is that on video it can look good but once u get ur hand on it, its ugly as everyone tells you so.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the exclusive games this thing would be in a charity shop.

Not even a good portable device, like carrying around a brick.

#11 Posted by Archangel3371 (27584 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Yep. Everyone’s got one.

#12 Edited by xantufrog (11169 posts) -

I don't see the problem - there have been a few threads of this sort on here recently but:

1) people don't have to buy it, and obviously if the graphics matter that much to you you don't need to "debase" yourself with it

2) I think people who DO want these ports on their Switch expect... a Switch game. And that's what they'll be getting. It's not a PS4. I think we all know that. It's MK on a Switch.

3) we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that games are meant to be fun. Mortal Kombat used to be sprites. It was ok. It's still ok. I'd rather play the originals than a lot of tripe these days. So the big question for me would be "Switch port? Is it still a fun version?". I'd be much more worried about trash framerate and how it plays, personally.

Of course I like pretty graphics. I'm not pretending I don't. But it's a Switch game.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (32807 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

1) people don't have to buy it

This should be on the box in quotations.

#14 Edited by p3anut (6280 posts) -
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Looks decent for the Switch. I wouldn't buy it tho.

#15 Posted by uninspiredcup (32807 posts) -

#16 Edited by Daredevils2k (2011 posts) -

I'm pretty sure people who own a switch also own a PS4 or a XB1 and peeople only want this game for switch is for mobile reasons

#17 Posted by xantufrog (11169 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: lol

#18 Posted by Mandzilla (4037 posts) -

Welp, I've already got a half price preorder discount at Game thanks to trading in Go Vacation earlier in the year so no turning back now lol. Still hyped.

#19 Posted by Vaidream45 (1850 posts) -

If the frame rate is decent on the Switch version I’d consider it a win. It’s expected to be graphically downgraded but as a 2d fighter its frame rate, controls, and fun that matter.

#20 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36061 posts) -

Dude.... just no. I get you like to try and be a funny edgelord, but still, too damn soon...

#21 Posted by XVision84 (15790 posts) -

Holy moly those graphics are terrible.

#22 Posted by 2Chalupas (7042 posts) -

If there were PS3/360 ports anymore that's probably about what they'd look like, or close to it. Turrible.

#23 Posted by Sevenizz (3638 posts) -

This reminds me of gen 6 when ps2 and GameCube multiplats looked last gen compared to the mighty OG Xbox versions.

#24 Edited by p3anut (6280 posts) -

@XVision84 said:

Holy moly those graphics are terrible.

It looks good in motion, I think it looks great considering the Switch's hardware. I still wouldn't get it, but it looks decent and the fps looks solid for those who want to play it on the go.

Loading Video...

#25 Edited by KBFloYd (21753 posts) -

@p3anut said:
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Looks decent for the Switch. I wouldn't buy it tho.

oh so TCs screengrabs were from handheld footage?

thats what it seems to be. docked mode looks nice.

#26 Posted by adsparky (1310 posts) -

@sakaixx said:

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#27 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3049 posts) -

The Switch is smaller than the PS4/Xbox One case the game comes in. The game also has to run on 18W max in handheld mode. The fact MK11 can run on this thing is pure magic. Couple that with the fact you can take the game with you ANYWHERE... Yeah, some of y’all need you quit with all the hate.

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (32807 posts) -

Switch users having to resort to tiny off-screen cam footage to try justify expensive mediocrity.

Lovely stuff.

#29 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3049 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Playing MK11 while taking a dump is the only thing I need to justify the price tag. MK11, with most settings dialed back, but portable isn’t a bad thing. I consider that a far less mediocre experience than playing the middling base PS4/Xbox One versions while tethered to a TV.

#30 Posted by Techhog89 (3713 posts) -

What the hell is wrong with this forum?

#31 Posted by DaVillain- (36056 posts) -

The Switch version is looks like to be on par with MK vs DC and for better or worst, that's mighty impressive and the if I wanted to play MK11 on the go, I'd totally would buy it but sadly, all my money went towards the PC version and I'll probably will pick up the Switch version whenever the Komplete Edition releases with all DLC included.

@techhog89 said:

What the hell is wrong with this forum?

Hell and welcome to System Wars and since you are new here, I'm DaVillain, nice to meet you. In SW, we do all sorts of wacky consoles, PC, & games discussions, so please, make yourself at home in SW :P

#32 Posted by VFighter (4802 posts) -

@KBFloYd: I'm sure its ugly in either mode, hell Fortnite still looks like ass on the switch, FORTNITE!

#33 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43784 posts) -

WTF do you expect from something slightly larger than a cell phone?

Anyway, I think the point is sort of being missed here: whole great thing about the Switch is it's portability and "play anywhere" deal; I mean if you and your buddy both have a Switch, you can play against each other while, idunno, drinking beer at a pub or having some coffee or sitting on the top of a mountain while camping.

With that said, it is pretty ugly.

#34 Posted by locopatho (23597 posts) -

Nintendo multiplats have sucked for a very long time now.

#35 Edited by KBFloYd (21753 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@KBFloYd: I'm sure its ugly in either mode, hell Fortnite still looks like ass on the switch, FORTNITE!

fortnite looks ass on ps4 too. game has shitty graphics. its indie game level.

call of duty blackout also looks garbage visually even on PC.

pubg is the only one that looks decent on PC but shitty on ps4.

#36 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36061 posts) -

So it's like MK9 on Vita then? Only more bearable looking in obvious ways?

#37 Edited by uninspiredcup (32807 posts) -

This was a child 8 years ago.

This is the child now

Nintendo fans are defending this extremely expensive Tardis ride, proudly utilizing phrases like " it's bearable".

That bar has firmly melted itself into the earths core.

#38 Posted by KBFloYd (21753 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

This is the child now

Nintendo fans are defending this extremely expensive Tardis ride, proudly utilizing phrases like " it's bearable".

bro its a portable device. i thought you were a PC gamer? you don't know anything about graphics.

This shouldnt even be running on the switch at all.

also those videos peanut posted dont look nearly as bad as your cherry picked screenshots.

#39 Posted by Rockman999 (7469 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Well the switch is literally just an Nvidia shield tablet with joycons and the battery life is attrocious. At best people can expect 2.5 hours of mediocrity before it flatlines. LOL

#40 Posted by Mandzilla (4037 posts) -

@Rockman999: 2.5 is the minimum for demanding games, you can get up to 6 hours out of it.

#41 Posted by uninspiredcup (32807 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

@Rockman999: 2.5 is the minimum for demanding games, you can get up to 6 hours out of it.

That's only if you set the brightness to 0 and don't play a game.

#42 Posted by Mandzilla (4037 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: There's definitely room for improvement yeah. Battery life is pretty comparable to the Vita at the moment.

#43 Posted by XVision84 (15790 posts) -

@p3anut: I agree its great considering the hardware. Next gen is right around the corner though and the Switch is really going to fall behind.

#44 Posted by DocSanchez (5218 posts) -

"Bloody awful"

#45 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3049 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

This is the child now

It's funny that you call Switch gamers kids. Some of us leave the house, go on business trips, go on long car rides/commutes etc. You can stay next to your wall outlet, hooked up to your TV, or playing your games on current streaming tech. I will gladly play these 3rd party games, compromises and all, in the name of portability. When I want high fidelity, I can go to one of my 7 current gen consoles or one of my 2 gaming PC's. But when I'm laying in bed trying not to wake up my wife or kids, taking the browns to the super bowl, or sneaking in a quick game or two when I'm working from home. Nothing beats the Switch.

And again, it's smaller than a bluray case, operates on less than 18W and is a third of the price of most smart phones. I don't understand what some of you are expecting.

#46 Edited by mojito1988 (3535 posts) -

Since I play Switch as a portable mainly, I think it looks just fine. (not that I would get this anyway I'm more of a Street Fighter 2 player myself)

This is why I get most games on Switch. People acting somehow surprised that the PC version would look way better is......odd.

#47 Posted by FinalFighters (3142 posts) -

Which is why only use my switch for Indie games.

All AAA games i play on PC

#48 Posted by Techhog89 (3713 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

This is the child now

uninspiredinsults

#49 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36061 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Dude... seriously...

Loading Video...

#50 Edited by uninspiredcup (32807 posts) -
@techhog89 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

This is the child now

uninspiredinsults

The fact it's possible to literally post a visual representation of a fetus to that of a 8 year old boy to show just how far back Nntendo is, yea, you should feel insulted.

Thankfully I have a PC, which, even with 4+ year old hardware, no problem.