Miyamoto-"video games are not toys. "

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSNIDCiocio313
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/miyamoto-wii-2-will-be-smaller-and-cheaper-643803

This is NOT a toy

Interestingly, while Nintendo's marketing strategy for Wii has focused heavily on the importance of 'play', Miyamoto is still keen to stress that videogame consoles are no longer toys.

"I think originally video-game systems were viewed as a toy, and they were something you played with," said the Nintendo man.

"Whereas now I think we're starting to see a blurring of the lines, where, obviously, the internal guts of a video-game system is essentially a computer, and we're gradually seeing video games moving beyond simply entertainment into other aspects of everyday life."

What this might mean for the future integration of Nintendo's DSi handheld with the Wii of course remains to be seen.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/miyamoto-wii-2-will-be-smaller-and-cheaper-643803#ixzz1D7MSu0mq
Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
Cool.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41598 Posts
That news is from 2009.
PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PSNIDCiocio313
That news is from 2009.nintendoboy16
lol i know, i just felt like posting it since some people in here were claiming video games were toys and intended for children because the wii "seemed kiddy"
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

Does this mean I have to throw them to the trash because I can no longer play with them?

:cry:

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]That news is from 2009.PSNIDCiocio313
lol i know, i just felt like posting it since some people in here were claiming video games were toys and intended for children because the wii "seemed kiddy"

Well, even with all those details he went through, I STILL call videogames a toy. I love Miyamoto, I really do, but there are quite a few things where I don't agree with him on.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

...i hope the smaller & compact thing isnt true. make a bigger system dammit!!!!

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

October 21st 2009

Miyamoto tells people that the Wii is not a Toy and should be treated as a video game system.

Cool.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18837 Posts
PS1 made that clear in 94/95.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

...i hope the smaller & compact thing isnt true. make a bigger system dammit!!!!

painguy1

I don't care about the actual size, but the smaller the wii 2 is the less powerful. that, I care about.

Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fried_Shrimp
Member since 2009 • 2902 Posts
PS1 made that clear in 94/95.PSP107
What, by calling itself Play Station?
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Maybe not to you and me shiggy but tell that to an 8 year old getting his waggle on.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

theuncharted34

I don't care about the actual size, but the smaller the wii 2 is the less powerful. that, I care about.

thats what i was referring to :P

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="PSP107"]PS1 made that clear in 94/95.Fried_Shrimp

So music and DVD's are toys? You press 'play' ''To play'' is to occupy, interact or participate with something. In Sweden we have two different words for it, one for adult play in activities like sports or games (''spela'') and another for childs play (''leka'', or something like that I'm not actually swedish). Maybe to avoid comments like that about ''Playstation'' :wink: :P
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Nope.

The right sentence would be "Not all video games are toys".

Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fried_Shrimp
[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"][QUOTE="PSP107"]PS1 made that clear in 94/95.tomarlyn

So music and DVD's are toys? You press 'play' ''To play'' is to occupy, interact or participate with something. In Sweden we have two different words for it, one for adult play in activities like sports or games (''spela'') and another for childs play (''leka'', or something like that I'm not actually swedish). Maybe to avoid comments like that about ''Playstation'' :wink: :P

Play Station has little Triangles and Squares and Circles on the controller representing a childs toy. I really don't think they where trying to do away with the toy image as the poster suggested.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
For all intends and purposes they are toys.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"] What, by calling itself Play Station?Fried_Shrimp

Play Station has little Triangles and Squares and Circles on the controller representing a childs toy. I really don't think they where trying to do away with the toy image as the poster suggested.

You've really got to be joking. If the power button on my TV lights up and goes ''beep''', then is it no different to a Tomy electronic toy in your opinion?

Also

I'll just leave that here and be gone :P

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

For all intends and purposes they are toys.IronBass

Agreed. They are just big kids/adult toys.

Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fried_Shrimp

[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] So music and DVD's are toys? You press 'play' ''To play'' is to occupy, interact or participate with something. In Sweden we have two different words for it, one for adult play in activities like sports or games (''spela'') and another for childs play (''leka'', or something like that I'm not actually swedish). Maybe to avoid comments like that about ''Playstation'' :wink: :Ptomarlyn

You've really got to be joking. If the power button on my TV lights up and goes ''beep''', then is it no different to a Tomy electronic toy in your opinion?

Also

What. One console is a toy and another isn't? Playstation is clearly a toy. Your just insecure.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"] Play Station has little Triangles and Squares and Circles on the controller representing a childs toy. I really don't think they where trying to do away with the toy image as the poster suggested.

Not sure if serious... If you are, I do hope your aware the reasoning behind using the shapes instead of numbers could be highly influenced by the need to differentiate itself from the competition that used buttons based on the alphabet, but still be familliar enough for people to remember them. These basic shapes if very little helped set them apart from the competitors. It's a familiarity issue, I also doubt they wanted to use Hiragana or Katakana to respresent the buttons...
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"] Play Station has little Triangles and Squares and Circles on the controller representing a childs toy. I really don't think they where trying to do away with the toy image as the poster suggested.Fried_Shrimp

Also

What. One console is a toy and another isn't? Playstation is clearly a toy. Your just insecure.

lol I wasn't saying that at all, but if you want to call out the Playstation controller just for using shapes instead of letters then there you have it sir. I don't consider either to be toys, you seem unable to accept the Playstation brand being considered as a mature product.

Put a Playstation or any other console in the hands of a child and they will consider it a toy, no doubt. But its the Playstation brand, sharp design and range of mature titles that took video games out of the kids bedroom and back into the living room. Having the Sony name alone automatically brought along the consumer recognition of it being a high tech home entertainment accessory.

Another thing that may boggle you, when my girlfriend's nephew comes over and see's our digital camera he'll play with it mindlessly for hours. Is a camera now a toy?

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

All Nintendo products are toys.

oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

I thought Nintendo products are toys because they're aimed at kids? Playstation and Xbox are toys as well, but not aimed as excessively toward children as the Wii. Their all toys. Hell... I call my Pontiac Trans Am a TOY!! Big boys with their big toys. Nothing wrong with that eh?

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

He's wrong. All video game consoles are toys. Video games are toys. And there's nothing wrong with that.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PSP107
[QUOTE="PSP107"]PS1 made that clear in 94/95.Fried_Shrimp

Thats a great name.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PSP107
[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"] Play Station has little Triangles and Squares and Circles on the controller representing a childs toy. I really don't think they where trying to do away with the toy image as the poster suggested.Jynxzor
Not sure if serious... If you are, I do hope your aware the reasoning behind using the shapes instead of numbers could be highly influenced by the need to differentiate itself from the competition that used buttons based on the alphabet, but still be familliar enough for people to remember them. These basic shapes if very little helped set them apart from the competitors. It's a familiarity issue, I also doubt they wanted to use Hiragana or Katakana to respresent the buttons...

You also can think of the shapes as Geometry.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

I have very much respect for Miyamoto, but I would have to disagree here. All gaming platforms are toys imo.

PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PSNIDCiocio313

so is chess a toy?

PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PSNIDCiocio313

Does this mean I have to throw them to the trash because I can no longer play with them?

:cry:

glez13
no , its a form of entertainment, like movies
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

so is chess a toy?

PSNIDCiocio313

Chess itself probably not because it's a concept.The pieces maybe yes. But anyways I expect this whole thing to go the way of "It's not a doll. It's an action figure.", unless it already has. This news is old and the last time it became like that.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
I think he's wrong. Video games are like toy dolls. I still dress up my console and PC and have tea parties. I always laugh when Mrs. Pennybottom has to go take a Wii-Wii................. Sigh...I'm so alone.
PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PSNIDCiocio313

[QUOTE="PSNIDCiocio313"]

so is chess a toy?

glez13

Chess itself probably not because it's a concept.The pieces maybe yes. But anyways I expect this whole thing to go the way of "It's not a doll. It's an action figure.", unless it already has. This news is old and the last time it became like that.

chess is a game also why cant mario be the king, princess toadstool be the queen, luigi be the bishop, goombas be the pawns, turtles be the rooks etc etc?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

"I think originally video-game systems were viewed as a toy, and they were something you played with," said the Nintendo man.

PSNIDCiocio313
He knows that his employer carefully cultivated that in order to gain retail presence after the crash of 1984, right?
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

[QUOTE="Fried_Shrimp"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] So music and DVD's are toys? You press 'play' ''To play'' is to occupy, interact or participate with something. In Sweden we have two different words for it, one for adult play in activities like sports or games (''spela'') and another for childs play (''leka'', or something like that I'm not actually swedish). Maybe to avoid comments like that about ''Playstation'' :wink: :Ptomarlyn

Also

Does that thing actually work? If so I'm stooping to the maturity of a 5 year old and making one :P.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nintendoboy16

All Nintendo products are toys.

Mr_BillGates
ANY Game products are toys.
wiifan001