Miyamoto: Zelda Wii U still in research phase

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

I like the sounds of this and hope they offer options to the control method since i'm not a big fan of forced motion control.

And just so you don't think I'm only critical of N's MC, I think Steel Battalion Heavy Armor for Kinect should offer the option to use only the 360 controller plus I think it would improve sales big time. :P

Anyhoo, The story.

--

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-08-miyamoto-zelda-wii-u-still-in-research-phase

Skyward Sword's controversial motion controls to be "evolved".

A Wii U incarnation of The Legend of Zelda game is still in the research and design phase, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto has explained.

A tech demo at last year's E3 gave a first glimpse at how the Zelda series would look in HD. But while that experiment's visuals garnered a "positive reaction", Miyamoto stressed that Nintendo still needed to focus on how a Wii U Zelda game would play.

"With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items, and I thought that was a lot of fun," Miyamoto told Entertainment Weekly. "But there were some people who weren't able to do that or didn't like it as much and stopped playing partway through it."

These controls will be "evolved" for the next Zelda, he added.

"We're in the phase where we're looking back at what's worked very well and what has been missing and how can we evolve it further."

Miyamoto explained that whatever comes next must allow the game to be accessible to a wide audience.

"We're seeing how the way that tastes are broadening in video games and you have some people who prefer more casual experiences, and you have some people who prefer sort of those more in-depth experiences. Obviously, as a company that's been making games for a very long time, we tend to be more on the deeper, longer game side of things. But really what we continue to ask ourselves as we have over the years is, 'What is the most important element of Zelda if we were to try to make a Zelda game that a lot of people can play?'"

"So we have a number of different experiments going on, and [when] we decide that we've found the right one of those to really help bring Zelda to a very big audience, then we'll be happy to announce it."

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41594 Posts
You're late.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I was shocked that people were actually expecting some kind of announcement to do with Zelda Wii U, considering how SS only came out 8 months ago. Of course it's gonna be in the research phase!

Edit: Sorry my post was a little off topic. I think a combination of WM+ and the Pad would be cool. Maybe have the pad on a stand, acting as your inventory. And possibly even have the ability to be pointed at by the wii remote. So you essentially have two screens to work off.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice

You're late.nintendoboy16
Teh SP is never late...

2115935.jpg

... he arrives precisely when he means to. :oops:

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]You're late.SecretPolice

Teh SP is never late...

2115935.jpg

Someone made a thread like this not long ago.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]You're late.simomate

Teh SP is never late...

Someone made a thread like this not long ago.

Yeah, I got the message and was just messinround. :P

But that doesn't mean that all conversation on the subject is closed does it ? :o

kiddoom93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kiddoom93
Member since 2006 • 838 Posts

I was shocked that people were actually expecting some kind of announcement to do with Zelda Wii U, considering how SS only came out 8 months ago.

trugs26

I totally agree they should know after it took what? 5 years for Skyward Sword to be released and they expect less than a year later to see a brand new Zelda? not going to happen unfortunately. A new 3D Mario or Metroid would have been far more realistic to have been seen.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

Here's a more recent article on Zelda Wii-U http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/08/zelda-wii-u-will-appeal-to-both-casual-and-hardcore-gamers/

Shigeru Miyamoto has explained that Nintendo is currently trying to find the right balance with the next Zelda game on Wii U. Miyamoto says that while the series ultimately appeals to the hardcore gamer, Nintendo is looking at new and different ways to make it more appealing to a wider audience.

?With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items, and I thought that was a lot of fun.?

?But there were some people who weren?t able to do that or didn?t like it as much and stopped playing partway through it.?

?We?re seeing how the way that tastes are broadening in video games and you have some people who prefer more casual experiences, and you have some people who prefer sort of those more in-depth experiences. Obviously, as a company that?s been making games for a very long time, we tend to be more on the deeper, longer game side of things.

?But really what we continue to ask ourselves as we have over the years is, ?What is the most important element of Zelda if we were to try to make a Zelda game that a lot of people can play???

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice

Here's a more recent article on Zelda Wii-U http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/08/zelda-wii-u-will-appeal-to-both-casual-and-hardcore-gamers/

Shigeru Miyamoto has explained that Nintendo is currently trying to find the right balance with the next Zelda game on Wii U. Miyamoto says that while the series ultimately appeals to the hardcore gamer, Nintendo is looking at new and different ways to make it more appealing to a wider audience.

?With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items, and I thought that was a lot of fun.?

?But there were some people who weren?t able to do that or didn?t like it as much and stopped playing partway through it.?

?We?re seeing how the way that tastes are broadening in video games and you have some people who prefer more casual experiences, and you have some people who prefer sort of those more in-depth experiences. Obviously, as a company that?s been making games for a very long time, we tend to be more on the deeper, longer game side of things.

?But really what we continue to ask ourselves as we have over the years is, ?What is the most important element of Zelda if we were to try to make a Zelda game that a lot of people can play???

simomate

And I'm very pleased they're taking a serious look into what control method will make for the best game rather than being tied too tightly to only Wiimote control.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

[QUOTE="simomate"]

SecretPolice

And I'm very pleased they're taking a serious look into what control method will make for the best game rather than being tied too tightly to only Wiimote control.

hopefully they just come up with multiple controls schemes....wiimote and nunchuck or the WiiU pad

they're doing this with Pikmin 3, so why not the next zelda game?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="simomate"]

CDUB316

hopefully they just come up with multiple controls schemes....wiimote and nunchuck or the WiiU pad

they're doing this with Pikmin 3, so why not the next zelda game?

Mah friend, we are indeed not only reading from the same book but are also on the same page. :)

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
If it is anything like the tech demo we saw last year I will get hyped, but now it is the matter of how long it will take Nintendo to make it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
As long as they it's not like Skyward Sword, I'll be there.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41594 Posts
As long as they it's not like Skyward Sword, I'll be there.charizard1605
:shock: But you said you wouldn't get a Wii U after that Nintendo conference. :|