Miyamoto: Japanese gamers don't like difficult games

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/20348/miyamoto-believes-japanese-gamers-dislike-difficult-games/

Ive been making action games for some 30 years, and Ive been thinking about the difference evident in how their popularity has been gradually declining in Japan whilst in America it has been maintained.

The issue is that Japanese who cannot overcome the level of difficulty in an action game no longer want to play them. This perception then spreads to all games as a whole, and people avoid them because they see them as difficult.

In the case of America, there are a lot more people who enjoy a challenge and will stick with it for you and try to overcome the initial hurdle.

Yes, its action games which really demand a certain level of skill.

Right, some players just enjoy playing, some prefer to finish it, and some prefer greater challenge. People looking for a challenge will dismiss an easily cleared game as easy.

But by making things too difficult, the people who just want to play get driven off. I always wanted to accommodate both types.

Miyamoto

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 37626 Posts

Dude, did you see the main source of that article?

Besides that, it seems like Shigeru Miyamoto is trying to get on gamers bad sides with comments like these. He's like one of those actors who made great movies, but release statements that cause an uproar.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

such a shame

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#4 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I actually thought it was supposed to be the opposite. :P

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rjdofu
Dude, did you see the main source of that article?nintendoboy16
You mean this? http://www.4gamer.net/games/168/G016837/20130712087/
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rjdofu

Besides that, it seems like Shigeru Miyamoto is trying to get on gamers bad sides with comments like these. He's like one of those actors who made great movies, but release statements that cause an uproar.

nintendoboy16
When was the last time he made a difficult game? I think he's honest here.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Dude, did you see the main source of that article?rjdofu
You mean this? http://www.4gamer.net/games/168/G016837/20130712087/

It was on another site as well, won't say it's name, but it's initial SC. :P
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14154 Posts

This generation of games should've been right down their alley then

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1463 Posts

I actually thought it was supposed to be the opposite. :P

Demonjoe93
I thought so, games like Monster Hunter and Demon/Dark Souls are from Japan.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Jesus he is out of touch isnt he?

A lot of japanese games, especially the JRPG's are god damned infuritating at how difficult a lot of them are. For gods sake From Software is a japanese based company and they have spent over a decade making controller hurlingly hard games.

But yeah its easy when you just look at a broad stroke of games and only decide to see the easy ones. I can do that with american games also call of duty, angry birds, and well pretty much most mainstream western games are pretty easy as well.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

rjdofu

So he's honest in that, he only talks about what's working for Nintendo that he has to speak for the Japanese gaming community? Several games prove he's massively wrong on that.

Don't get me wrong, I love Miyamoto's work, but for statements like this, why he's so hesitant with F-Zero, among other statements is making him lose respect in the gaming community.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

nintendoboy16

So he's honest in that, he only talks about what's working for Nintendo that he has to speak for the Japanese gaming community? Several games prove he's massively wrong on that.

Don't get me wrong, I love Miyamoto's work, but for statements like this, why he's so hesitant with F-Zero, among other statements is making him lose respect in the gaming community.

Well I just say that he's being honest, doesn't mean I agree with him :P. It's natural for someone who never care to make a difficult game to misunderstand the charm of those games.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

*Twilight Zone theme starts playing*

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I wonder what are some examples of games he considers difficult.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Okay im sorry but Miyamoto is just f*cking stupid now... JRPG's were and still are VERY challenging. Just look at Souls series alone. This guy should gtfo, he's completely out of touch.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silversix_

Ly_the_Fairy

Zelda SS  :lol:

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I think he's just having a hard time getting his point across. He's not a great public speaker.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

silversix_

too bad he didn't direct that.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Okay im sorry but Miyamoto is just f*cking stupid now... JRPG's were and still are VERY challenging. Just look at Souls series alone. This guy should gtfo, he's completely out of touch.silversix_

Most JRPGs are mindless grindfests with little-to-no complexity in their design whatsoever.

But in the example of Dark Souls. Just because Japanese devs make difficult games does not mean they're more popular in Japan than the rest of the world.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silversix_

[QUOTE="silversix_"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Shinobishyguy

too bad he didn't direct that.

Thanks god. he's so ridiculous now, imagine in 2-3 years lol Won't be surprised if Zelda WiiU is even easier than Zelda SS and he calls it 'too hard' a year after game's launch.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 silversix_

[QUOTE="silversix_"]Okay im sorry but Miyamoto is just f*cking stupid now... JRPG's were and still are VERY challenging. Just look at Souls series alone. This guy should gtfo, he's completely out of touch.Ly_the_Fairy

Most JRPGs are mindless grindfests with little-to-no complexity in their design whatsoever.

But in the example of Dark Souls. Just because Japanese devs make difficult games does not mean they're more popular in Japan than the rest of the world.

that's not true at all. Take FF13 an an example, even at max level/best weapons in the game you'll have a hard time with tones of side challenges. Grind is only at the beginning of the game and there's always something for end game that is hard as ballz

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
That's true for the majority of gamers, no matter the culture.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Agree

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
That's true for the majority of gamers, no matter the culture.tagyhag
Damn it tagy, stop being so agreeable these days. This.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Is that his excuse to have the simplistic mechanics in his games? Depth doesn't necessarily mean difficult.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Miyamoto is such a senile old bat these days.   He should retire already.   I remember when people used to call him a legend amongst game developers.  What a joke.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Japanese Shoot em ups, fighting games, and RPGs make that statement seem silly
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

Japanese Shoot em ups, fighting games, and RPGs make that statement seem sillyCapitan_Kid

Wrong about RPGs. Outside of alot of JSRPGs, JRPGs are easy to normal difficulty. In modern times you have companies like Atlus Japan & Intelligent Systems dumbing down their games as seen in Shin Megami Tensei IV and Fire Emblem Awakening. Not only that they're offering experience grinding DLC.

Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Raziel831991
Member since 2013 • 631 Posts

[QUOTE="silversix_"]Okay im sorry but Miyamoto is just f*cking stupid now... JRPG's were and still are VERY challenging. Just look at Souls series alone. This guy should gtfo, he's completely out of touch.Ly_the_Fairy

Thats false, modern Jrpgs actually require zero grinding or very little if you just want to beat the main quest of the game

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="silversix_"]Okay im sorry but Miyamoto is just f*cking stupid now... JRPG's were and still are VERY challenging. Just look at Souls series alone. This guy should gtfo, he's completely out of touch.silversix_

that's not true at all. Take FF13 an an example, even at max level/best weapons in the game you'll have a hard time with tones of side challenges. Grind is only at the beginning of the game and there's always something for end game that is hard as ballz

I dont understand what makes JRPGs like FF13 so difficult? They are turn based after all arent they?

I havent really played any JRPGs since the PS2 (excluding dark souls), but i dont remember there being anything difficult about them.

Frankly the most difficult game this gen that i have played was Trials Evolution.... by a huge margin.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Japanese and American gamers alike also dont like only 2 good games being released at launch for a console and having to wait 3-4 months at a time for a new game to come out

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Okay im sorry but Miyamoto is just f*cking stupid now... JRPG's were and still are VERY challenging. Just look at Souls series alone. This guy should gtfo, he's completely out of touch.silversix_

Umm.... what JRPG is considered difficult besides the Souls series? Everything I've played is ridiculously easy.

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bloodlust_101
Member since 2003 • 2764 Posts

[QUOTE="silversix_"]Okay im sorry but Miyamoto is just f*cking stupid now... JRPG's were and still are VERY challenging. Just look at Souls series alone. This guy should gtfo, he's completely out of touch.moistsandwich

Umm.... what JRPG is considered difficult besides the Souls series? Everything I've played is ridiculously easy.

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and Digital Devil Saga 2 off the top of my head.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Capitan_Kid

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Japanese Shoot em ups, fighting games, and RPGs make that statement seem sillyFlamesOfGrey

Wrong about RPGs. Outside of alot of JSRPGs, JRPGs are easy to normal difficulty. In modern times you have companies like Atlus Japan & Intelligent Systems dumbing down their games as seen in Shin Megami Tensei IV and Fire Emblem Awakening. Not only that they're offering experience grinding DLC.

All of those games have harder difficulties and superbosses.
josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

[QUOTE="silversix_"]Okay im sorry but Miyamoto is just f*cking stupid now... JRPG's were and still are VERY challenging. Just look at Souls series alone. This guy should gtfo, he's completely out of touch.moistsandwich

I still have no idea why people say the Souls series is difficult? As long as you're not a fool charging everything, and instead take your time...it's really not that bad. I can't say I've seen many difficult Jrpgs ever, I guess Fire Emblem used to have a fair bit of difficulty, but even that's gone.(new mechanics make it easier, and the fact that grinding ever became a thing in Fire Emblem doubles that. DLC for exp boosting and more cash also hurts) Then again, you should be playing Jrpgs for the story and having fun with the combat system before thinking about difficulty unless it's so low it becomes mind-numbing

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Japanese Shoot em ups, fighting games, and RPGs make that statement seem sillyCapitan_Kid

And? Those are artificial challenges and not true difficulties. In Fire Emblem Awakening for example, you just get super powered enemies with the best abilities where as in previous FE games, the maps and progression itself was the challenge even on lighter difficulty settings. The majority of games have higher difficulty settings if you want to gimp yourself for a challenge. That's not pure difficulty.
Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
I thought they enjoyed that hard crazy stuff?
FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts
Back then Japanese games were tough as hell. The original Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon made me want to smash things they were too hard. I did manage to beat a few Metal Gears though.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
This guy is the George Lucas of the video game industry.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
He made lots of crap games
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3669 Posts

This guy is the George Lucas of the video game industry.sammyjenkis898
How so?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]This guy is the George Lucas of the video game industry.thom_maytees

How so?

Both are crappy directors
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

lol @ people calling miyamoto out of touch. As for the JPRG debate, go play an old 2d FF game and compare it to FF13. Same with Fire Emblem and just about any major japanese franchise. Also, just because a game is easy does not mean it's a bad game.

Also, notice how Miyamoto is only talking about action games....

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

FlamesOfGrey

And? Those are artificial challenges and not true difficulties. In Fire Emblem Awakening for example, you just get super powered enemies with the best abilities where as in previous FE games, the maps and progression itself was the challenge even on lighter difficulty settings. The majority of games have higher difficulty settings if you want to gimp yourself for a challenge. That's not pure difficulty.

Bullshit. Difficulty settings give you difficulty. You dont have to pick Lunatic+. You can pick Hard, which is also challenging. Superbosses aren't artificial difficulty either >__>
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#45 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Says the guy who thought we were too soft for the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2.

I'll assume this is a poor translation because it probably is, but there is no point that people are missing in those statements. As it stands, it's a dumb and rather meaningless generalization.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
I don't like difficult games either. Dying is so boring
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sammyjenkis898

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]This guy is the George Lucas of the video game industry.thom_maytees

How so?

He once made something defining for the industry and now spouts out nonsense that makes him seem fooling and out of touch.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

This guy is the George Lucas of the video game industry.sammyjenkis898

Wrong.

He is the Disney of the game industry.

This is pretty much undeniable.

Mario is still synonymous with video games, just like Mickey Mouse is synonimous with animated movies and comics.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Huh? LOL. He clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sammyjenkis898

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]This guy is the George Lucas of the video game industry.nameless12345

Wrong.

He is the Disney of the game industry.

This is pretty much undeniable.

Mario is still synonymous with video games, just like Mickey Mouse is synonimous with animated movies and comics.

I'm not sure if I'd go as far to say Miyamato is racist.