Let's talk about some misconceptions about mobile gaming. Some people are still living in the past and regard mobile devices as absolutely the worst. But...are they actually?
The tendency I see is that mobile devices resemble more and more small gaming PCs.
Here's top features of mobile devices that can make change your mind:
Disclaimer. The following features are based on Android devices, they might or might not be available in iOs devices from Apple.
1. Growing power. Today 600-dollar android tablet is a true desktop PC, usually featuring an 8-core processor of at least 2.4 Ghz, 6-8 GB of RAM and Nvidia mobile GPU. But lower specs compared to desktop PC are compensated with better to the metal optimization.
As well, it's worth mentioning that Android and iOs are legit unix- based operating systems with better built-in security than Windows OS.
2. Some best games of All Times are available on Android and not anywhere else.
It's freaking frustrating that Final Fantasy Tactics and Dragon Quest 8 are available on mobile but do not have an official port on PC.
3. Keyboard and mouse support. Yes, the tendency now is that most tablets support bluetooth keyboard and mouse now, which basically makes them PC.
4. Most tablets can be connected to a big screen via mini-hdmi. Again, widespread support of mouse and keyboard makes them operate as desktop PCs.
5. Most modern tablets support 1440p resolutions and more. And their dpi is higher than on regular big screen devices. So you have an option to enjoy the higher dpi when reading with your tablet or you can connect it to a big screen and still enjoy high resolution.
6. Unlike console, most android games are designed to run at 60 fps and now even incorporate configurable graphic settings
7. Tablet stylus or pen, both on Android tablets and Ipads, is actually a good replacement for a mouse.
No more akward touch controls using this tool. It is a blast to play Final Fantasy Tactics with it. I actually prefer to play Final Fantasy tactics on my tablet than on my PC with an emulator.
8. But can i actually do my taxes on consoles? We heard this argument so many times in discussions PC vs consoles. Well... you can definitely do them on your tablet. Modern android tablets have now all kinds of work-related applications, starting with MS Office and ending with all kinds of graphic redactors where you can use touch screen and stylus.
9. Multi-tasking. Did you know that new models of tablets allow to install ui layouts that provide full support of mouse and keyboard and make your tablet UI look and feel like a Windows OS . Your heard it right, tablets now come up with apps that change the tablet UI to a desktop mode that resembles more Windows UI, and allow to open and work with several windows of different apps at once.
10. More possibilities than desktop PC. As tablets incorporate more features than desktop PCs, therefore they offer more possibilities for gaming and work-related use. Touch screen, GPS, gyroscope, mouse , keyboard, stylus pen, finger print scan, face scan, camera, etc. offer more inventive possibilities in gaming and software interaction.
So what do you think? Are you still afraid of mobile devices or are you like me and see the potential of mobile devices to become hybrid mobile-desktop unix based PCs?