Microsoft-70%-80% of publishers doing Natal games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts

Microsoft exec Robbie Bach admits it was a risky move to demonstrate the relatively-early Project Natal technology so boldly at E3, but that doing so was key to getting lots of developers on board from the start.

"We wanted third-party publishers to know that it was real and we wanted them to have developer kits and to get them working on it," Bach tells Canada's CBCnews. The result? "We have something like 70 percent or 80 percent of the publishers in the world already doing Natal-based games," he asserts.

"Our first party studios are [also] very focused on this," he adds. "We want to have a few titles from Microsoft that show the way and then we want the breadth and power of the ecosystem from our partners to bring lots of new ideas, new innovations, new concepts to the marketplace."

Link

I have to admit I am really starting to get excited for Natal. I am looking forward to its release.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
Even if something comes around eventually that makes me feel compelled to be interested in Natal - and so far nothing, including this piece of news, has done that - I'll still refuse to be excited by it out of sheer principle.
EXLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 EXLINK
Member since 2003 • 5719 Posts
Really hope the games come with the option to use the "old-fashion" controller. Natal (motion control in general) and 3D (with glasses) are two things I hope don't take off.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

hells yeah they are, after watching every 3rd person in america throwing money hand over fist at crap mini game compilations on the wii who would not want to get in on that.

for cryin out loud Chicken Shoot was a rollover internet ad that got ported to the wii and made money

G-O-M-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 G-O-M-J
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
Awesome, looking forward to see what they come up with.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

70-80% of developers are making family friendly mini game collections or fitness games! AMIRITE?

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

When you compare the Natal pre-launch hype with that of consoles; claims like this hold little weight. Launching Natal is like launching a new console, you need to hype people into being interested.

It is all attempts to get consumers to adopt the hardware on day one, creating the install base that justifies the creation of the games they promised would already be there. When developers are not being directly paid; there is little incentive to make games for something that has a zero install base. So I have no doubt this 70-80% claim is highly exaggerated, if not exaggerated then MS has been dipping deep into their own pockets to force the success of this product.

silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silverfire675
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

70-80% of developers are making family friendly mini game collections or fitness games! AMIRITE?

spinecaton
hehe. That's one reason I hate the wii........They use motion controls for...Arcade basketball, and mini-pool game, and frekin jenga!!!! ARGH! I also wish the xbox 360, ps3, and wii all came with classic control options...since apparently they are all gonna have motion controls soon(cept the wii obviously..thts already there)
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Give me a good old fashioned controller. After a long day at work the gym, and school I don't wanna come home and be involved to the max in games. THeir meant to be a way to escape from reality but when I have to start point and clicking with my fingers or flailing around like a fish out of water ( see the natal E3 Demo)to shoot or do something i'll just switch to something with a controller.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

good for them, im still not interested any more, and i wont buy natal or the games by those companies.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

Microsoft exec Robbie Bach admits it was a risky move to demonstrate the relatively-early Project Natal technology so boldly at E3, but that doing so was key to getting lots of developers on board from the start.

"We wanted third-party publishers to know that it was real and we wanted them to have developer kits and to get them working on it," Bach tells Canada's CBCnews. The result? "We have something like 70 percent or 80 percent of the publishers in the world already doing Natal-based games," he asserts.

"Our first party studios are also very focused on this," he adds. "We want to have a few titles from Microsoft that show the way and then we want the breadth and power of the ecosystem from our partners to bring lots of new ideas, new innovations, new concepts to the marketplace."

I have to admit I am really starting to get excited for Natal. I am looking forward to its release.

rybe1025

That made me cringe. I just hope for the most part the amount of normal games doesnt lower at an almost drastic rate.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

spinecaton
:( Say it aint so! I wouldn't mind it failing and MS actually getting some first part games out for the good ol' fashion controller...though they've closed/lost most of the studios I would want something from.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#13 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49592 Posts
Good for Natal, I suppose.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
I'm still not sure about Natal. It looks like it could be fun but I just can't imagine using it to play a whole game. I mean look at the Wii, for the best games the motion control does not make much difference and you could play them without it. And well for the playstation... less said about its motion control the better.
brennan7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 brennan7777
Member since 2005 • 3253 Posts

The publishers they are talking about are probably the same ones that are throwing out the trash shovelware on the wii.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
That sounds really impressive until you means there are only like a dozen publishers and they house probably dozens to hundreds of individual studios, only one of which per publisher would have to be working on a Natal project to qualify for their percentage. And they could be making a kitty scratching or laundry simulator game for all we know.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

I honestly don't give a ****.

I have zero interest in Natal, and I won't be buying or playing any games that utilise it, regardless of who the developer is.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
yeah but is it going to be shovel ware like most of the published 3rd party wii games?
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

So what? There are basically11 publishers. THQ, activision, ea, ubisoft, konami, capcom, square enix, take 2, warner bros, and disney. So if 7 of them are making natal games that means 7 games. I want to hear more about how many games in production than this bogus number. And I doubt this number includes atlus, or NIS.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
This doesn't mean much imo. Ubisoft makes Wii games and HD games. The Wii games are garbage like Imagine Party Babyz but the HD games are quality stuff like Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell. If 70%-80% of pubs have signed on but are gonna crank out garbage, that's not a win for anyone.
BiggGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BiggGaming
Member since 2009 • 345 Posts

70% to 80%? I actually feel bad for XBOX 360 only owners if this is true.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Good news for them, if it catches on and the games are good I'll support the games but I still just want to navigate through menus to watch some Netflix, stuff like that.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

So what? There are basically11 publishers. THQ, activision, ea, ubisoft, konami, capcom, square enix, take 2, warner bros, and disney. So if 7 of them are making natal games that means 7 games. I want to hear more about how many games in production than this bogus number. And I doubt this number includes atlus, or NIS.

nhh18

1. Activision Blizzard
  2. Take Two
  3. Ubisoft
  4. Konami
  5. Capcom
  6. Square Enix
  7. Sega
  8. Bethesda
  9. MTV Games
  10. Electronic Arts
  11. Namco Bandai
  12. Warner Bros
  13. Disney
  14. Artari
  15. Lucas Arts

Those are the ones we are likely to see something from, that would be roughly 10-12 publishers looking at Natal.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

[QUOTE="nhh18"]

spinecaton

1. Activision Blizzard
  2. Take Two
  3. Ubisoft
  4. Konami
  5. Capcom
  6. Square Enix
  7. Sega
  8. Bethesda
  9. MTV Games
  10. Electronic Arts
  11. Namco Bandai
  12. Warner Bros
  13. Disney
  14. Artari
  15. Lucas Arts

Those are the ones we are likely to see something from, that would be roughly 10-12 publishers looking at Natal.

It really doesn't matter. This number is completely and utterly stupid and dumb. I would love to see wii fanboys use this number to say how great their 3rd party games are on the wii. 100% of publishers doing wii games.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 PAL360  Online
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Good news but i wont most likelly get Natal this gen. Ill get it when it comes standard with the next Xbox console.

Odrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Odrec
Member since 2009 • 1897 Posts
Risky move? Scripted scenes aren't a risky moves just MS typical misleading PR.
druggyjoe3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 druggyjoe3000
Member since 2006 • 1523 Posts

What percentage of those game devlopers making "hardcore games" that the majority of 360 gamers would actually enjoy ?

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

The Microsoft propaganda machine rolls on.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Still can't get excited for natal, much prefer a controller.