Microsoft wins the console battle but will it win the patent war?

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Nine Fräulein :twisted:

Discuss if you wish.

Anyhoo, the story.

---

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-04-us-judge-rejects-motorolas-attempt-to-ban-the-xbox-360-in-the-us-and-germany

US judge rejects Motorola's attempt to ban the Xbox 360 in the US and Germany

Microsoft wins the console battle but will it win the patent war?

A US judge has rejected Motorola's attempt to have the Xbox banned from sale in the US and Germany.

Motorola, owned by Google, has been embroiled in a nasty patent dispute with Microsoft that had threatened to halt the sale of the Xbox 360 in the US.

The patents at the heart of the dispute revolve around how the Xbox 360 decodes video content. Motorola claims ownership on the tech powering this and wants Microsoft to pay up to £2.5bn in royalties.

Back in June Motorola asked for a royalty of 2.25 per cent on each Xbox and 50 cents per copy of Windows for using its patents as part of a settlement. Microsoft refused.

This came after Judge David Shaw told the International Trade Commission that it should use a cease and desist order to ban imports of the Xbox 360 Slim 4GB and 250GB models into the US because, in his view, they infringed on four patents owned by Motorola.

He also wanted Microsoft to post a bond equal to seven per cent of the value of unsold Xbox 360s in the US.

Now, Motorola's case has been rejected as part of the overall patent trial. Judge James Robart said the patents in question were Frand-type innovations and therefore critical to industry standards. They should be licensed on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms, he said.

The outstanding amount owed could be added to Microsoft's bill once the matter is resolved.

The case continues

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Microsoft already lost, its just a question of how much they will have to pay. On a side note thank god the judge took a reasonable approach to this, patent law needs reform ASAP.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Microsoft wins the console battleSecretPolice
Only in delusional lemmingland
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Jesus Christ, big businesses are worse than spoilt children fighting over toys.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Microsoft wins the console battlekuraimen

Equal sales to the Ps3, Equal amount of High scoring exclusives, larger amount of High scoring games overall, made MS huge Profit, i think the 360 slightly edges out the Ps3.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SecretPolice

Firstly, that's taken direct from the eurogamer story so the writer is delusional eh? :?

Secondly, me thinks they said that in the context of THIS story :o ya know, their console is not banned, they won that battle. :P

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

"Microsoft wins the console battle"

wut?

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

For once i agree with kuraimen, it was clearly Wii>360>PS3, dear lems 2nd place isn't winning!
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Microsoft wins the console battleblue_hazy_basic

For once i agree with kuraimen, it was clearly Wii>360>PS3, dear lems 2nd place isn't winning!

More like Wii>PS3>360 according to the last official reports.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] Only in delusional lemminglandkuraimen

This.

Americans thinks their country is the world. If you think about the worldwide, it's PS3 > 360.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Microsoft wins the console battleblue_hazy_basic

Oh blue, I am disappoint. :?

The War is this patent which that war rages on but at this point, MS won the battle to keep the 360 from being banned :o

TBA though, yeah, I was being sneaky and I used that line for the title knowing some would get all :shock: :twisted:

Oh, j/k and I not really all that disappoint. :P

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] Only in delusional lemmingland

According to official reports Wii>> and then the PS3 the same as the 360 if you count the 360 sales from a month before when the PS3's figures were released.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Microsoft wins the console battleSecretPolice
What universe did this happen in?
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] For once i agree with kuraimen, it was clearly Wii>360>PS3, dear lems 2nd place isn't winning!GamerwillzPS

This.

Americans thinks their country is the world. If you think about the worldwide, it's PS3 > 360.

As I'm not american not sure why you would say that, but if you want to live in Kuraiman's world where truths and untruths are the same and conspiracies abound its you choice!
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts
Microsoft already lost,blue_hazy_basic
Yup, never thought the TC would succumb to being a delusional lem, but alas it has happened. :(
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice

Yikes, didn't realize just how easy many here would fail to put the topic title in context to the story,

The War is the Patent, the Console Battle was keeping it from being banned so 360 now = not banned.... battle won. :o

Sheeesh, I knew some would go off on the wrong tangent but so many :shock: C'mon warriors, step it up a bit will ya. :P

Orrrr, should I change the topic title ?

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Orrrr, should I change the topic title ?SecretPolice
Hell no :P
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

domzq.png

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Microsoft wins the console battleStrongDeadlift

domzq.png

lol that did give me a chuckle
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Microsoft wins the console battleStrongDeadlift

domzq.png

Indeed I mean, I've seen dozens of cow threads seriously trying their hardest to make the case PS3 won the console war and never see lem created threads doing the same and here all I do is make the title a C&P right from the article ( sneaky I know. :P ) where all the title is really saying is MS won the battle to keep 360 from being banned but yet here, the cows have gone quite Mad. :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Microsoft already lost, its just a question of how much they will have to pay. On a side note thank god the judge took a reasonable approach to this, patent law needs reform ASAP.blue_hazy_basic

I completely agree. The current patent system pretty much exists these days for corporations to sue one another and to try and monopolize technology innovation. There is far too much abuse and it creates a never ending stream of lawsuits as companies fight over what can or can't be patented and whether or not a certain product is illegal or not.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Only in delusional lemminglandSecretPolice

domzq.png

Indeed I mean, I've seen dozens of cow threads seriously trying their hardest to make the case PS3 won the console war and never see lem created threads doing the same and here all I do is make the title a C&P right from the article ( sneaky I know. :P ) where all the title is really saying is MS won the battle to keep 360 from being banned but yet here, the cows have gone quite Mad. :lol:

it shows this console war really means a lot for them. I really don't see any way the ps3 wins. The parent company went into major fiscal red during this Gen, and they lost the vice grip they had on this industry. Sell as many consoles as they want at this point (I'm buying a 500 gig), the ps3 didn't do what they thought or what many thought for that matter.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kuraimen
Indeed I mean, I've seen dozens of cow threads seriously trying their hardest to make the case PS3 won the console war and never see lem created threads doing the same and here all I do is make the title a C&P right from the article ( sneaky I know. ) where all the title is really saying is MS won the battle to keep 360 from being banned but yet here, the cows have gone quite Mad. SecretPolice
Lol are you kidding? fanboys like you are so selective. Lems have been boosting sales the whole generation. Only now are they in denial over them and trying to act like they don't care. Don't be such a hypocrites lems.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Indeed I mean, I've seen dozens of cow threads seriously trying their hardest to make the case PS3 won the console war and never see lem created threads doing the same and here all I do is make the title a C&P right from the article ( sneaky I know. ) where all the title is really saying is MS won the battle to keep 360 from being banned but yet here, the cows have gone quite Mad. kuraimen
Lol are you kidding? fanboys like you are so selective. Lems have been boosting sales the whole generation. Only now are they in denial over them and trying to act like they don't care. Don't be such a hypocrites lems.

cows haven't been touting sales all generation long?

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Indeed I mean, I've seen dozens of cow threads seriously trying their hardest to make the case PS3 won the console war and never see lem created threads doing the same and here all I do is make the title a C&P right from the article ( sneaky I know. ) where all the title is really saying is MS won the battle to keep 360 from being banned but yet here, the cows have gone quite Mad. CaseyWegner

Not as much as lems even though the PS3 still outsells the 360 in a year to year basis to lems' limited minds NA means the world.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Lol are you kidding? fanboys like you are so selective. Lems have been boosting sales the whole generation. Only now are they in denial over them and trying to act like they don't care. Don't be such a hypocrites lems.kuraimen

Not as much as lems even though the PS3 still outsells the 360 in a year to year basis to lems' limited minds NA means the world.

every year this entire gen was supposed to be the year the ps3 passed the 360 in worldwide sales.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#27 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I still don't understand why the US can stop the Germans to ban the 360 in Germany. I can understand (somehow) in the US but not in Germany. They have no jurisdiction there.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

every year this entire gen was supposed to be the year the ps3 passed the 360 in worldwide sales.

Every year the PS3 outsold the 360.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

domzq.png

:lol:
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
never see lem created threads doing the sameSecretPolice
Yeah right! :lol:
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Yikes, didn't realize just how easy many here would fail to put the topic title in context to the story,

The War is the Patent, the Console Battle was keeping it from being banned so 360 now = not banned.... battle won. :o

Sheeesh, I knew some would go off on the wrong tangent but so many :shock: C'mon warriors, step it up a bit will ya. :P

SecretPolice

Well played, sir, well played! :P

It's no suprised, really, few bother reading the OP if the title is inviting enough. But do keep it as it is, there may be more butthurt on the way! :twisted:

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Microsoft wins the console battledelta3074

Equal sales to the Ps3, Equal amount of High scoring exclusives, larger amount of High scoring games overall, made MS huge Profit, i think the 360 slightly edges out the Ps3.

Keep repeating this to yourself, maybe you shall even believe it once :lol:

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] For once i agree with kuraimen, it was clearly Wii>360>PS3, dear lems 2nd place isn't winning!GamerwillzPS

This.

Are all you cows really this stupid? The article has NOTHING to go with the 360/PS3 console war. It's referring to the battle between getting banned and NOT getting banned. Damn you guys are idiots. BTW the official last count has it a tie even though we all know the 360 is ahead.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kingtito

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] Only in delusional lemminglandBlbecekBobecek

Keep repeating this to yourself, maybe you shall even believe it once :lol:

There is proof, it's not an opinion. He's going by official GS scores. I really think cows are stupid. No other explanation.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kingtito
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Not as much as lems even though the PS3 still outsells the 360 in a year to year basis to lems' limited minds NA means the world.kuraimen

Every year the PS3 outsold the 360.

Did it outsell the 360 last year?
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] More like Wii>PS3>360 according to the last official reports.kingtito

This.

Are all you cows really this stupid? The article has NOTHING to go with the 360/PS3 console war. It's referring to the battle between getting banned and NOT getting banned. Damn you guys are idiots. BTW the official last count has it a tie even though we all know the 360 is ahead.

Well done sir!!

SP Approved. :)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Rocker6

Well played, sir, well played! :P

It's no suprised, really, few bother reading the OP if the title is inviting enough. But do keep it as it is, there may be more butthurt on the way! :twisted:

:oops: thank you sir but if I might add, the title really isn't all that misleading since right in the title it refers to the... "Patent War" and Not Console or System War :o :P

"Microsoft wins the console battle but will it win the patent war?"

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]never see lem created threads doing the sameJohnF111

Did he seriously wrote that?

These Lemmaynes, I cant even :P

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kuraimen

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]never see lem created threads doing the sametonitorsi

Did he seriously wrote that?

These Lemmaynes, I cant even :P

Denial is lems' religion.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]never see lem created threads doing the sametonitorsi

Did he just went there :P

One should never say never but WTH, Been there, went there and won there. (That's my cow response right there claiming victory dispite the facts.)

G'head, find me alll the lem created threads touting 360 won the console war, 360 graphics > PC graphics and the rest of the usual cow nonsense I see here. :o

Only one stipulation, LoosingEnds and the other guy,Ricky ? can't remember his name but he was just banned, they don't count. :twisted:

Anyhoo, there may be a few but to every one you find, there are at least 5 cow created threads of the same nature and bet most in SW would agree.

Plus the fact, I, the TC, never said with this thread that 360 won system wars. :P

Meeeper282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Meeeper282
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

[QUOTE="JohnF111"] Yeah right! :lol:SecretPolice

One should never say never but WTH, Been there, went there and won there. (That's my cow response right there claiming victory dispite the facts.)

G'head, find me alll the lem created threads touting 360 won the console war, 360 graphics > PC graphics and the rest of the usual cow nonsense I see here. :o

Only one stipulation, LoosingEnds and the other guy,Ricky ? can't remember his name but he was just banned, they don't count. :twisted:

Anyhoo, there may be a few but to every one you find, there are at least 5 cow created threads of the same nature and bet most in SW would agree.

Plus the fact, I, the TC, never said with this thread that 360 won system wars. :P

Big difference, you said microsoft wins console battle to draw in people.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

Meeeper282

Not really but okay, I never said, nor does this story or the title for that mater say, MS won the console war as it pertains to our little System War @ GS... Fact. :o The whole thing is referring to the Patent War... Yikes. :P

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kuraimen
Anyhoo, there may be a few but to every one you find, there are at least 5 cow created threads of the same natureSecretPolice
Prove it! I bet you can't. Lems like you live in a delusional world where you see only what you want to see. All fanboys are the same.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Anyhoo, there may be a few but to every one you find, there are at least 5 cow created threads of the same naturekuraimen
Prove it! I bet you can't. Lems like you live in a delusional world where you see only what you want to see. All fanboys are the same.

No U. :P

PS, I didn't think libraries opened this early. :shock: :twisted:

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]One should never say never but WTH, Been there, went there and won there. (That's my cow response right there claiming victory dispite the facts.)

SecretPolice

Not really but okay, I never said, nor does this story or the title for that mater say, MS won the console war as it pertains to our little System War @ GS... Fact. :o The whole thing is referring to the Patent War... Yikes. :P

Shady tactics will just award you infamy amigo.

But ok, ok, Okie dou'. Whatevs floats the boat, right. :P

Just be aware: if you play the game, be ready to get played. Catch my drift? :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

tonitorsi

Shady tactics will just award you infamy amigo.

But ok, ok, Okie dou'. Whatevs floats the boat, right. :P

Just be aware: if you play the game, be ready to get played. Catch my drift? :P

:shock: Nothing at all shady about me posting something and others reading into it something it does not say. :o

Anyhoo, don't play with fire mah man but if you insist...

come-at-me-bro.gif:P

Bruce_Benzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bruce_Benzing
Member since 2012 • 1731 Posts

TC finally proved how important it is that Cows get Wonderbook to learn how to read......

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

TC finally proved how important it is that Cows get Wonderbook to learn how to read......

Bruce_Benzing
dis
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Anyhoo, there may be a few but to every one you find, there are at least 5 cow created threads of the same natureSecretPolice

No U. :P

PS, I didn't think libraries opened this early. :shock: :twisted:

One trick pony lem is one trick pony lem.