Microsoft Will Launch At Least One New First-Party Game Every 3 Months.... Update:Xbox Will Be Built Into TVs

• 149 results
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Poke Phony, with a fork, they're done. lol :P

GP is a gamers dream come true Baby!!!

Thoughts?

----

Microsoft Will Launch At Least One New First-Party Game Every 3 Months

Microsoft commits to releasing at least one new first-party game on Game Pass every quarter.

By Eddie Makuch on June 10, 2021 at 6:02AM PDT

Thanks in part to its acquisition of ZeniMax/Bethesda and the efforts it's made to ramp up other internal development through buyouts of other studios, Microsoft now has 23 internal game developers across the world.

With so many teams now working on Xbox games, Microsoft said today that its new goal is to launch at least one new first-party game on Xbox Game Pass every three months.

These will span a variety of genres, including role-playing games, shooters, strategy titles, and adventure games. Microsoft said its goal is to make sure there is a "steady stream of compelling exclusive content to explore."

Microsoft was at one point in time criticized for not having enough first-party content as it competed against PlayStation, but that doesn't seem like it will be the case for much longer.

Now, not all of the games that Microsoft gives the green light to will come to market; that's the nature of a creative business like games. But Xbox Game Studios boss Matt Booty said he's happy with the output coming from the various Xbox studios going ahead.

"Games take up to four or five years to make, and the reality is that not every project we start will make it to launch," he said. "But if you add all that up, that's how we've gotten to our state today, with two dozen studios making games across a variety of genres. And we know a thriving entertainment service needs a consistent and exciting flow of new content. So our portfolio will continue to grow as our service grows."

For its part, Sony recently announced that it has a whopping 25 new games in development, half of which are new IP.

As for when we might hear about the next Xbox games, Microsoft's E3 2021 jointing briefing with Bethesda is coming up this Sunday, June 13; keep checking back with GameSpot for the latest.

In other news, Xbox just recently announced how it's growing Xbox Game Pass in the future by creating Xbox-branded streaming devices, working with TV manufacturers to built Xbox directly into TVs, and more.

----------

Xbox Will Be Built Into TVs, Xbox-Branded Streaming Devices Announced

Microsoft has high hopes for Xbox Game Pass and growing it into the future.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-will-be-built-into-tvs-xbox-branded-streaming-devices-announced/1100-6492606/

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38840 Posts

This is like that 2019 being "the best year of Xbox history" bs🤣

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I definitely like the sound of that. 👍

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69433 Posts

Not really surprising, I made a thread not to long ago about this. If they plan the development cycle correctly among their studios, this is very plausible.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Starting when?

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Starting when?

Next week hopefully with FS2020

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro  Online

@goldenelementxl said:

Starting when?

Tune in on Sunday. 🙃

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gym_Lion

Best thing is every single one will be on game pass.

Still hard to believe MS is doing that.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pedro  Online

@gym_lion said:

Best thing is every single one will be on game pass.

Still hard to believe MS is doing that.

As I have stated before, they are aiming to be the Netflix of gaming and Netflix spends more per year than the Zenimax acquisition.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

oh my god, there's no way a painful price hike isn't coming if they hold to that. Good for those of you who gobble up games like candy, but that might actually be a pretty bad thing for me (assuming the price hike occurs, that is; no worries if it just heaps games up in my backlog at no added cost)

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gym_Lion

@xantufrog said:

oh my god, there's no way a painful price hike isn't coming if they hold to that. Good for those of you who gobble up games like candy, but that might actually be a pretty bad thing for me (assuming the price hike occurs, that is; no worries if it just heaps games up in my backlog at no added cost)

Doesn't make sense to increase the cost of Game Pass.

MS will make more money out of attracting new subscriber rather than getting a few extra £ out of current subscriber. Plus they'd run the risk of alienating current subscriber that would just stop subscribing if it was to expensive.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice

Keep in mind this doesn't even include all the EA games coming to GP as well. :D

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Still not sure how companies plan to address the wifi speed issue. Won’t this run into the same problems as Stadia?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pedro  Online

So much for console sales being the primary focus. It is all about the GamePass.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Gamepass is going to get a price hike soon...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro  Online

@wonderwinner said:

Give a timeframe of soon. 😎

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gym_Lion

@wonderwinner said:

Does that mean Game Pass gamers could soon be big ballers?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro  Online

@gym_lion said:
@wonderwinner said:

Does that mean Game Pass gamers could soon be big ballers?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@gym_lion: nah. Don't think so. And big releases will still miss GP. It'll be the same it is today, but with added input lag and pricier.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: Yup the service will be very dependent whether external companies bring broadband speeds up to date.

MS plays the long game, broadband speeds will gradually increase plus implementation of 5G.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gym_Lion

@wonderwinner said:

@gym_lion: nah. Don't think so. And big releases will still miss GP. It'll be the same it is today, but with added input lag and pricier.

Why added input lag?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro  Online

@kadin_kai said:

@Starshine_M2A2: Yup the service will be very dependent whether external companies bring broadband speeds up to date.

MS plays the long game, broadband speeds will gradually increase plus implementation of 5G.

MS is playing the long game. Which is unusual for the company.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SecretPolice

@wonderwinner said:

I'm certain you and your bovine brigade are praying that's so.

lol :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro  Online

@SecretPolice said:

I'm certain you and your bovine brigade are praying that's so.

lol :P

😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro  Online

@girlusocrazy said:

About time! But why go at a slower pace than the competition?

That pace would be faster than the competition. 4 games every year.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@girlusocrazy: "At least"

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@gym_lion said:
@xantufrog said:

Doesn't make sense to increase the cost of Game Pass.

MS will make more money out of attracting new subscriber rather than getting a few extra £ out of current subscriber. Plus they'd run the risk of alienating current subscriber that would just stop subscribing if it was to expensive.

I think they will have to at some point soon. They already raised it from their initial "beta" promo price (a lot). I agree, there's a short term goal of keeping it low to rapidly grow the userbase. But the userbase growth will slow and they will switch to a profit stabilization mode with the pricing I am certain. Netflix has consistently raised its prices over the years too. It wouldn't be abnormal, and I think will be essential if the big $60-$70 AAAs they invest in are all coming out as "freebies" on the service - doubly so if they are coming out at a rate of 1/3 months (because they means the last release isn't an "old" game they can't reasonable expect much traditional sales for - far from it! It's in its sales prime still when the new one joins the hand-out line). That's $300,000,000 in sales they *would* get if they sold 5 million copies of one of those the traditional way, with only a small % of that profit - that they now need to cover for that title with GP revenue. And that's not factoring in that there are many other games being ""given away"" to a single subscriber, so to speak, under the same GP payment (no extra revenue). So that GP fee from one user stretches a long way. There needs to be a laaaarge user base but also a higher fee than they ask now IMO

(of course, the real math is going to be super complicated and based on a lot of internal market research and consumer spending data they have - which I don't. So I couldn't begin to say what they need to charge / month with X subscribers for Y games being given on the service. But the point is traditional sales are a huge source of money that needs to be covered by GP subscriptions somehow)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@xantufrog: I guarantee you that, just like Netflix, GP will move away from having third parties and will feature mostly MS Studio games while getting the odd old third party game. Just like Netflix.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Cows go from Game Pass is terrible to Game Pass is too good so they must increase price in less than 2.8 seconds. 🤣

Anyways they won't be releasing AAA games every 3 months and if MS isn't completely dumb there will be a lot of shared resources between studios in order to optimise development costs.

But please, do keep shifting narratives regarding Game Pass because it's just hilarious.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro  Online

@xantufrog said:

I think they will have to at some point soon. They already raised it from their initial "beta" promo price (a lot). I agree, there's a short term goal of keeping it low to rapidly grow the userbase. But the userbase growth will slow and they will switch to a profit stabilization mode with the pricing I am certain. Netflix has consistently raised its prices over the years too. It wouldn't be abnormal, and I think will be essential if the big $60-$70 AAAs they invest in are all coming out as "freebies" on the service. That's $300,000,000 in sales they *would* get if they sold 5 million copies of one of those, with only a small % of that profit - that they now need to cover for that title with GP revenue. And that's not factoring in that there are many other games being ""given away"" so to speak under the same GP payment (no extra revenue). So that GP fee from one user stretches a long way. There needs to be a laaaarge user base but also a higher fee than they ask now IMO

(of course, the real math is going to be super complicated and based on a lot of internal market research and consumer spending data they have - which I don't. So I couldn't begin to say what they need to charge / month with X subscribers for Y games being given on the service. But the point is traditional sales are a huge source of money that needs to be covered by GP subscriptions somehow)

It is correct that the price will increase. It definitely would not be in the nurturing years of the service but it will come. However, the logistics between unit sales and services are not as clear cut as comparing price per unit versus current subscribers/monthly fees. Especially when life long sales are not equal to $50-60 per unit, with Nintendo being the exception since their games don't frequently drop in price. I would not be surprised if they already have the numbers with price decline of overall unit sales for games. It would be good data to have when evaluating the various models.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Not interested in GP but that sounds good. 👍

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro  Online

@girlusocrazy said:

Wait, Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Returnal, Sackboy, MLB The Show, Destruction All Stars, Astro's Playroom, Ratchet & Clank... Let's see 8 games, at 4 games/year... My gosh 2 years goes by so fast

It is funny you included Astro's Playroom but keep in mind that a game every three months is just and solely from Xbox Game Studios and does not include third party sponsored games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro  Online

@lebanese_boy said:

Not interested in GP but that sounds good. 👍

The good news is that all GamePass games are purchasable.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@Pedro: I agree, that was what my big parenthetical at the bottom was about. The actual math they are going to be working from is going be based on a lot of subtleties I have no access to (and wouldn't be interesting in trying to figure out if I did :-P). It's worth noting, though. that on PC MS actually keeps its prices pretty high - most even semi-recent AAA games on the XBox store are still $60 and the sales are miniscule ($50! whoopdedoo!)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SecretPolice

@Pedro said:
@xantufrog said:

I think they will have to at some point soon. They already raised it from their initial "beta" promo price (a lot). I agree, there's a short term goal of keeping it low to rapidly grow the userbase. But the userbase growth will slow and they will switch to a profit stabilization mode with the pricing I am certain. Netflix has consistently raised its prices over the years too. It wouldn't be abnormal, and I think will be essential if the big $60-$70 AAAs they invest in are all coming out as "freebies" on the service. That's $300,000,000 in sales they *would* get if they sold 5 million copies of one of those, with only a small % of that profit - that they now need to cover for that title with GP revenue. And that's not factoring in that there are many other games being ""given away"" so to speak under the same GP payment (no extra revenue). So that GP fee from one user stretches a long way. There needs to be a laaaarge user base but also a higher fee than they ask now IMO

It is correct that the price will increase. It definitely would not be in the nurturing years of the service but it will come. However, the logistics between unit sales and services are not as clear cut as comparing price per unit versus current subscribers/monthly fees. Especially when life long sales are not equal to $50-60 per unit, with Nintendo being the exception since their games don't frequently drop in price. I would not be surprised if they already have the numbers with price decline of overall unit sales for games. It would be good data to have when evaluating the various models.

That was my first thought as well. If people are paying $15.00 a month that's $45 per quarter so if 20-30-50 million are paying for GP their paying 45 bucks a quarter to play every new 1st party game. That's not to bad considering if you waited three months 45 bucks instead of 60 seems reasonable.

Though I do agree at some point they will gradually raise the price for GP but I don't see them doing that until the user base get's much higher.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

A smell a price hike in the air .

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro  Online

@SecretPolice said:

That was my first thought as well. If people are paying $15.00 a month that's $45 per quarter so if 20-30-50 million are paying for GP their paying 45 bucks a quarter to play every new 1st party game. That's not to bad considering if you waited three months 45 bucks instead of 60 seems reasonable.

Though I do agree at some point they will gradually raise the price for GP but I don't see them doing that until the user base get's much higher.

If only it was that simple. They still have to pay for the other games on the service. Also there is the range of GamePass gamers, the folks that play a lot, play some, play little and play none (they exist).

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SecretPolice

@Pedro said:
@SecretPolice said:

If only it was that simple. They still have to pay for the other games on the service. Also there is the range of GamePass gamers, the folks that play a lot, play some, play little and play none (they exist).

Perhaps not as simple as I put it but still, if you have 40 mil paying 45 a quarter that's like selling 40 mil copies of a game for 45 a piece every three months. Not many games sell more than 10 mil so yeah that's pretty good revenue but I understand it's not that simple but just from that avenue I think there's money to be made with this strategy and MS knows it.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

can you give me tonight's lottery numbers while you are predicting the near future?

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 regnaston
@gym_lion said:
@wonderwinner said:

Why added input lag?

I think he is assuming the Game Pass is like PS Now (or what ever it is called) where you have to stream the games

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

That's a good thing according to many users here :/

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

More studio's announced on Sunday.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

Yeah, streaming games will work this time. Right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@regnaston: Will tvs run GP natively? Will TVs RENDER Xbox games? LMAO.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xantufrog  Moderator

@wonderwinner: I don't see the problem - you could choose to use your fancy new TV to stream if that's your jam and your internet is adequate, or you can can use gaming hardware to play it natively and "properly"

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 regnaston

@wonderwinner said:

@regnaston: Will tvs run GP natively? Will TVs RENDER Xbox games? LMAO.

you did not specify you were meaning only the streaming options... for those with consoles or PC's there will be 0 input lag.

As an aside I tried streaming games on my phone through GP, I would NOT do multiplayer but single player works fine.