Microsoft want generic shooters, not creative titles (proof)

  • 49 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (26442 posts) -

The title "rime" a title currently for the Playstation 4 was apparently pitched to Microsoft first. Sadly, it wasn't a first person shooter designed for tellytubby gangsters on xboxlive talking about your mother while shooting ethnic people in the face, so they turned it down.

Is this factually based proof Microsoft has 0 interest in creative interesting titles?

Eurogamer, like gamespot but good

Avatar image for lostrib
#2 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Was promised proof, found no proof

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#3 Edited by Shewgenja (19951 posts) -

Considering the XBone doesn't even work well with a 50hz signal properly, and hell, Kinect on the 360 had a hard time detecting black people..

In Microsoft-Land, XBox is for white middle class Americans. The cream of the crop in the videogame industry demographics. Nothing else matters to them. It is and seems to always have been WalMartBox 'MuricaFuckYeah.

Just like they did with 360, they will pay only lip service to anything that doesn't fit that model. There's just not as much of a carrot to troll Sony fans with cross-plat JRPG announcements anymore. There's no more 'BOOM' to doing it.

Avatar image for misterpmedia
#4 Posted by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

MS gotta love dem shootbangs

Avatar image for Wasdie
#5 Edited by Wasdie (53522 posts) -

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#6 Edited by uninspiredcup (26442 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Project Sparks very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Not a game.

Avatar image for Wasdie
#7 Posted by Wasdie (53522 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@Wasdie said:

Project Sparks very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Not a game.

How is it not a game?

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#8 Posted by Shewgenja (19951 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

Hmmm. That's rather up in the air. A "me-too" title for LBP was certainly a generation in the making lol

Avatar image for bobbetybob
#9 Posted by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -

Unlike the PS4 and it's top quality creative titles, such as Killzone Shooty Gun, Olde Fashioned London Shooter, Infamous Pretend These Super Powers Aren't Basically Just Guns and of course, upcoming Naughty Dog megaton, Uncharted And The Quest for Shooting Motherfuckers

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#10 Edited by uninspiredcup (26442 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@Wasdie said:

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

Hmmm. That's rather up in the air. A "me-too" title for LBP was certainly a generation in the making lol

It's like Mario, without the content. Or good. Also not a game.
These apps should be sold on googleplay.

Avatar image for hoyalawya
#11 Edited by hoyalawya (344 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

To be fair, Microsoft has an edge over their competitors in online infrastructure especially now with the push to get Azure integrated into Xbox. I see it as one of the strategies to distinguish their platform.

Avatar image for Wasdie
#12 Edited by Wasdie (53522 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@Shewgenja said:

@Wasdie said:

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

Hmmm. That's rather up in the air. A "me-too" title for LBP was certainly a generation in the making lol

It's like Mario, without the content. Or good. Also not a game.

These apps should be sold on googleplay.

That doesn't make it not a game. You opinion here isn't fact.

Avatar image for Wasdie
#13 Posted by Wasdie (53522 posts) -

@hoyalawya said:

@Wasdie said:

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

To be fair, Microsoft has an edge over their competitors in online infrastructure especially now with the push to get Azure integrated into Xbox. I see it as one of the strategies to distinguish their platform.

I understand why they are doing it I just disagree it's the right direction and it will cost them more of the market than they believe it will.

Look at how well Skryim has done on all platforms. There is a healthy market for single-player only games. Microsoft is foolish to be focusing just on network connectivity.

Avatar image for BeardMaster
#14 Edited by BeardMaster (1686 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

Single player games generally arent system sellers. Nobody is gonna rush out and buy expensive hardware for some game they will beat in a week. However they will do it for a game that they expect to give them months of entertainment.

Hell even most my PC builds/upgrades coincide with some MMO i want to play. And i rarely ever pay full price for single players games, usually wait for them to hit the bargain bin... with the exception of RPGs since those usually offer a ton of content for the money.

Frankly i think MS is just concentrating on giving gamers what they want.... and maybe my buying habits are toxic to the industry, but the value proposition is fantastic for my wallet.

Avatar image for Wasdie
#15 Posted by Wasdie (53522 posts) -

@BeardMaster said:

@Wasdie said:

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

Single player games generally arent system sellers. Nobody is gonna rush out and buy expensive hardware for some game they will beat in a week. However they will do it for a game that they expect to give them months of entertainment.

Hell even most my PC builds/upgrades coincide with some MMO i want to play. And i rarely ever pay full price for single players games, usually wait for them to hit the bargain bin... with the exception of RPGs since i know those usually offer tons of gameplay per dollar.

Frankly i think MS is just concentrating on giving gamers what they want.... and maybe my buying habits are toxic to the industry, but the value proposition is fantastic for my wallet.

Since when did single player games not become system sellers? If a game is good people will buy it and the platform its on. Simple as that.

Microsoft isn't giving gamers what they want, its giving gamers what they believe gamers want. That doesn't benefit the gamer. They could support all types of games but they are choosing not to.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#17 Edited by uninspiredcup (26442 posts) -

Project Spark is an app.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/project-spark/735aaf10-e354-4645-9cb4-c9f2fc391ec5

Avatar image for shawn30
#18 Posted by shawn30 (4409 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

The title "rime" a title currently for the Playstation 4 was apparently pitched to Microsoft first. Sadly, it wasn't a first person shooter designed for tellytubby gangsters on xboxlive talking about your mother while shooting ethnic people in the face, so they turned it down.

Is this factually based proof Microsoft has 0 interest in creative interesting titles?

Eurogamer, like gamespot but good

Loading Video...

Rime looks great and I hate the One lost it, but when you look at new IPs like Quantum Break (gameplay directly affects an entire season of a television show included with the game, time altering elements, from a great dev) and Sunset Overdrive (open world third person shooter) and then Fable Legends (RPG 4 player co-op) and then Project Spark (game creation) Killer Instinct (Fighting game) Kinect Sports (motion control, family oriented) and then you add Halo 5, Titanfall, Gears of War 3 and Forza Horizon (racing) thats a pretty damn diverse lineup IMHO.

Avatar image for lawlessx
#19 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Project Spark is an app.

it's a game..get over it

Avatar image for mrxboxone
#20 Posted by MrXboxOne (799 posts) -

No one cares about an indie game called Rine

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#21 Edited by uninspiredcup (26442 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

it's a game..get over it

My friend, is notepad a game? Come now.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#22 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12934 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Project Spark is an app.

it's a game..get over it

I don't thing he's going to get over it.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#23 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (9118 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Was promised proof, found no proof

Avatar image for Murderstyle75
#24 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4412 posts) -

They did similar shit with Heavy Rain. Only that time the reason was the game content and story was too subjective for Microsoft and their family friendly image.

Avatar image for always_explicit
#26 Posted by always_explicit (3379 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

The title "rime" a title currently for the Playstation 4 was apparently pitched to Microsoft first. Sadly, it wasn't a first person shooter designed for tellytubby gangsters on xboxlive talking about your mother while shooting ethnic people in the face, so they turned it down.

Is this factually based proofMicrosoft has 0 interest in creative interesting titles?

As supposed to fictionally based proof? The word proof implies fact by default or else it would not be proven.

P.S your thread sucks.

Avatar image for lostrib
#27 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@Murderstyle75 said:

They did similar shit with Heavy Rain. Only that time the reason was the game content and story was too subjective for Microsoft and their family friendly image.

too subjective?

Avatar image for IMAHAPYHIPPO
#28 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3193 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

it's a game..get over it

My friend, is notepad a game? Come now.

Anything's a game if you play with it.

Avatar image for lostrib
#29 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

it's a game..get over it

My friend, is notepad a game? Come now.

Anything's a game if you play with it.

;)

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#30 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

It does coincide with their previous "always online" policy everyone hated

Avatar image for StormyJoe
#31 Edited by StormyJoe (7630 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Dumb conclusion, and there is already a thread on this.

Avatar image for misterpmedia
#32 Edited by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

Couldn't agree with that more. Neglecting offline play denies 'sure thing' sales because everyone can play the product and not just people with stable internet connections or people that are in the right location for fibre BB

Avatar image for lawlessx
#33 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

it's a game..get over it

My friend, is notepad a game? Come now.

Anything's a game if you play with it.

;)

oh jesus lol

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#34 Posted by MonsieurX (37411 posts) -

Came in thread expecting proof,I am disappoint.

Avatar image for BeardMaster
#35 Posted by BeardMaster (1686 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@BeardMaster said:

@Wasdie said:

Project Spark's very existence kind of disproves that entire theory.

Microsoft does have a thing against single player only games though. They want everything to be connected and other mulitplayer buzzwords. It's a toxic mentality that limits the games that are going to be on their system.

Single player games generally arent system sellers. Nobody is gonna rush out and buy expensive hardware for some game they will beat in a week. However they will do it for a game that they expect to give them months of entertainment.

Hell even most my PC builds/upgrades coincide with some MMO i want to play. And i rarely ever pay full price for single players games, usually wait for them to hit the bargain bin... with the exception of RPGs since i know those usually offer tons of gameplay per dollar.

Frankly i think MS is just concentrating on giving gamers what they want.... and maybe my buying habits are toxic to the industry, but the value proposition is fantastic for my wallet.

Since when did single player games not become system sellers? If a game is good people will buy it and the platform its on. Simple as that.

Microsoft isn't giving gamers what they want, its giving gamers what they believe gamers want. That doesn't benefit the gamer. They could support all types of games but they are choosing not to.

I think gamers prioritizing multiplayer over single player is a trend thats been happening for quite some time.

Avatar image for Heil68
#36 Posted by Heil68 (57960 posts) -

SONY is a sanctuary for developers.

Avatar image for treedoor
#37 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

This proof explains games like Killer Instinct, Project Spark, Below, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, D4, and a whole bunch of other titles coming for Xbox One that are totally generic shooters


Sony, on the other hand, only develops creative non-shooter games such as Killzone, Uncharted, and The Order.

Avatar image for edidili
#38 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Project Spark is an app.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/project-spark/735aaf10-e354-4645-9cb4-c9f2fc391ec5

Wth does that even mean. Is not a game? Games are technically applications.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas/bbbb3182-12e9-4cbd-a222-f922fb67bec8

As for your topic, kinda strange considering the launch big title for PS4 was a FPS and MS has yet to publish a shooter for xbox one.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#39 Posted by uninspiredcup (26442 posts) -

So many Microsoft fanboys.

Avatar image for lostrib
#40 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Project Spark is an app.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/project-spark/735aaf10-e354-4645-9cb4-c9f2fc391ec5

It is both

Category: Game

Avatar image for edidili
#41 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

So many Microsoft fanboys.

Nice comeback bro

Avatar image for lawlessx
#42 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

So many Microsoft fanboys.


So now anyone that doesn't agree with your warped mindset is a fanboy?

Avatar image for bobbetybob
#43 Posted by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -
@StriateEnd said:

@bobbetybob said:

Unlike the PS4 and it's top quality creative titles, such as Killzone Shooty Gun, Olde Fashioned London Shooter, Infamous Pretend These Super Powers Aren't Basically Just Guns and of course, upcoming Naughty Dog megaton, Uncharted And The Quest for Shooting Motherfuckers

Killzone SF, The Order and Uncharted 4. Then take a look at the rest of Sony's first party library. Only a small fraction are shooters breh. You can bet your arse the PS4 will have a diverse set of exclusives as the years go by. Just like EVERY Sony console/handheld.

What's retarded about that? I was obviously exaggerating to an extent but a lot of the electricity powers made the games feel like bad third person shooters at times.

I'm sure the PS4 will have unique exclusives as the years go by, but they sure aren't starting out with many.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#44 Posted by uninspiredcup (26442 posts) -

My friends, this is "conceptual" proof. A principle in action. Instead of looking at it objectively, what we have are xbox favored users trying to pimp off apps as games and listing other action games like killer instinces as if they too are groundbreaking indie titles. Utterly ludicrous.

Avatar image for lostrib
#45 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, this is "conceptual" proof. A principle in action. Instead of looking at it objectively, what we have are xbox favored users trying to pimp off apps as games and listing other action games like killer instinces as if they too are groundbreaking indie titles. Utterly ludicrous.

Project spark is a game

Avatar image for edidili
#46 Edited by edidili (3449 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, this is "conceptual" proof. A principle in action. Instead of looking at it objectively, what we have are xbox favored users trying to pimp off apps as games and listing other action games like killer instinces as if they too are groundbreaking indie titles. Utterly ludicrous.

No idea why you're trying so hard to downplay project spark. Is it because it can run on tablets too? Is it because it is getting distributed from a store?

The game you originally posted doesn't look like a monster either. Looks like it can run on my phone. Chill out with these double standards.

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#47 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

No interest in Xbox One games because, you know, I'm totally not a telletubby gangsta.

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#48 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

No interest in Xbox One games because, you know, I'm totally not a telletubby gangsta.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#49 Edited by lundy86_4 (49091 posts) -

Already had a thread on this.

Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
#50 Edited by mynamesdenvrmax (2228 posts) -

I'll play my shooters on my Xbox and I'll play games like this on my iPhone. Keep it, PS4.