Microsoft to publish Minecraft on 360 and PC. (Cross-Plat)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts

I don't know if this is old. Sorry if it is.

"Minecraft" (Mojang, Microsoft Studios). Known for its limitless possibilities, "Minecraft" will come to life this winter in a whole new way through the magic of Kinect and also feature cross-functionality between the PC and Xbox 360 versions."

Microsoft is launching this as LIVE title. Meaning Xbox 360 users can use Xbox LIVE and PC users can use Games for Windows LIVE and play, chat, etc together.

Kinect comp. is a confirmed for the 360 game. Expect the PC one to also support Kinect due to the Kinect for Windows SKU.

Is this a Microsoft exclusive? -.-

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/jun11/06-06E32011PR.mspx

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

that's it gentlemen. texture packs and mods now cost money

if you bought during alpha expect to start paying for updates

Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

Cross plat is definitely a step in the right direction for breathing new life into pc gaming and ofc merge both communities.

Loved it with portal 2, great thing MS is embracing it as well... Let's hope this creates a trend.

Next step Console+Handheld+pc =]

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

:)

Will it be expensive?

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Kinect + Windows compatibility will become alot more common I reckon. Like I said before, I wouldnt be suprized if the next xbox is windows 8 modified. Microsoft are going all out with cross devic compatibility.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61543 Posts

Good news for 360 users, but this could suck for PC users.

FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts

I'm waiting to try this game out. I've heard so much about it but I refuse to game on a PC so I haven't played it. Seems interesting enough though. I'm assuming the 360 version will be a lot more limited compared to the PC version but I'm fine with that as long as I get to play it. Has Minecraft been confirmed as a retail title for 360 or is it going to be a XBLA title? Sorry I don't know too much about Minecraft.

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Firebird-5

I'm waiting to try this game out. I've heard so much about it but I refuse to game on a PC so I haven't played it. Seems interesting enough though. I'm assuming the 360 version will be a lot more limited compared to the PC version but I'm fine with that as long as I get to play it. Has Minecraft been confirmed as a retail title for 360 or is it going to be a XBLA title? Sorry I don't know too much about Minecraft.

FPSDad1161

why?

FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts

[QUOTE="FPSDad1161"]

Firebird-5

why?

Money. I have two kids and another on the way, a house to pay for, all that good stuff. I grew up gaming on the PC (Wolf3d and Doom were the games that got me hooked on gaming). But I've also worked on them for a living and I have grown to hate them lol. I've dealt with too many issues with them, and prefer the plug 'n play simplicity of the consoles. I also don't like having to upgrade a PC to play a game at max settings (the way games were meant to be played). I know upgrades aren't as frequent or as expensive as SW users would make them out to be, but it's still just a pain to me. I've also grown to love using a controller and not having to patch or mod games to get the most out of them. Also enjoy plopping down on the couch and playing games with my kids after a hard days work. All of my friends game on the 360 as well. So lot's of reasons. I don't hate PC gaming, it's just not for me.

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="FPSDad1161"]

FPSDad1161

why?

Money. I have two kids and another on the way, a house to pay for, all that good stuff. I grew up gaming on the PC (Wolf3d and Doom were the games that got me hooked on gaming). But I've also worked on them for a living and I have grown to hate them lol. I've dealt with too many issues with them, and prefer the plug 'n play simplicity of the consoles. I also don't like having to upgrade a PC to play a game at max settings (the way games were meant to be played). I know upgrades aren't as frequent or as expensive as SW users would make them out to be, but it's still just a pain to me. I've also grown to love using a controller and not having to patch or mod games to get the most out of them. Also enjoy plopping down on the couch and playing games with my kids after a hard days work. All of my friends game on the 360 as well. So lot's of reasons. I don't hate PC gaming, it's just not for me.

well ok, but you made it sound like it was some kind of religious statement lol.

still, for a game like minecraft, any old computer could handle it if you wanted to try it for half an hour. even if you spend all day on a computer, no reason you can't have fun on one ;p

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="FPSDad1161"]

FPSDad1161

why?

Its Minecraft...it has the visuals of Doom. You could play it on a DS if it was ported over.

And you still gotta patch games. You never saw it before this gen because there was no viable way for consoles. From what I understand, Minecraft is a game that is definitely best played on PC.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts

FPSDad1161
XBLA
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
So what does this mean for mod support?
Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Firebird-5

So what does this mean for mod support?lawlessx

rev up that credit card

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Does this mean, if I already have the alpha version, that when the game goes retail I'll have to start signing in through Windows Live?

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Why would Notch introduce Microsoft into the mix, they'll take a huge chunk out of the profits... and the game has already sold 2.5 million...
standarddamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#17 standarddamage
Member since 2006 • 1143 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]So what does this mean for mod support?Firebird-5

rev up that credit card

That's going to be the downside to this.

I'm an alpha owner, so the lack of free updates is going to suck. That said, I'm still excited. My daughter and I love playing this together, and cross platform with Kinect usability is going to be awesome.Too many positives outweighing the negatives right now.

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]So what does this mean for mod support?standarddamage

rev up that credit card

I'm an alpha owner, so the lack of free updates is going to suck. That said, I'm still excited. My daughter and I love playing this together, and cross platform with Kinect usability is going to be awesome.Too many positives outweighing the negatives right now.

i bought in alpha too and i play with friends, but for me the negatives are outweighing the positives

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I wonder how that will affect the game.

It could end up being the only good game in Kinect (besides maybe that dancing game). Since the idea after all is to play a game in wich half your time you spend working, it would only be fitting that you also exercise while playing it. I'm pretty sure Microsoft will find a way to ruin it.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

[QUOTE="standarddamage"]

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

rev up that credit card

Firebird-5

i bought in alpha too and i play with friends, but for me the negatives are outweighing the positives

Show me where it says that updates wont be free anymore, show me where it says texture packs will cost money and mod support will be axed...Until you provide proof stop crying and spreading lies.

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="standarddamage"]

rzepak

Show me where it says that updates wont be free anymore, show me where it says texture packs will cost money and mod support will be axed...Until you provide proof stop crying and spreading lies.

no proof, but based on ms's history with xbla i see overwhelming possibility for one and close to zero for the other

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="standarddamage"]

rzepak

i just realized that this may not even have any affect on those already playing. From the article it sounds like they are just releasing the game on XBLA
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
For PC. Why. Why. Their distribution pipeline is woeful, they're microtransaction based and blatantly anti user generated and distributed content. Guess Notch will have to speak up.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW GFWL.

And what about the mods?

Edit: Funny story by the way. Buy a game through Steam and you get a broken GFWL (Bioshock 2 in my case). Install GFWL through an official channel and you're ok... Conspiracy?

And please MS, fix the utterly **** up text for us dual card users, GFWL's current state reeks of incompetence.

I'm rather glad Minecraft never addicted me.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="FPSDad1161"]

FPSDad1161

why?

Oh look it's one of these guys :roll: As if Minecraft takes some monster rig.
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts
Oh look it's one of these guys :roll: As if Minecraft takes some monster rig. millerlight89
He is just talking about PC gaming in general. It's not his thing so he doesn't want to play any games on it. Had nothing to do with not having a capable PC.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

that's it gentlemen. texture packs and mods now cost money

Firebird-5

That would be the death of Minecraft. Someone else will make a clone and it will replace it. Minecraft is this open canvas for the modding community to paint on. It replaced Elder Scrolls games. Remove that and it will lose its magic pretty soon.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Sounds great, except for the Games for Windows Live part. Take out that one little thing, and it would be complete perfection.

jm92590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jm92590
Member since 2004 • 375 Posts

GFWL has yet to get in my way at all, the more people playing together the merrier!

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

From my understanding, GFWL is only available for certain countries.

I guess users will have the option to sign in with GFWL and play Minecraft, if not Noth better refund money.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

Looks like the creators of Terraria are about to make a ton of money.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

I don't want to see GFWL anywhere near Minecraft...

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

im sorry but where exactly does it say in that article that microsoft is publish minecraft? :s

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

im sorry but where exactly does it say in that article that microsoft is publish minecraft? :s

linkin_guy109

Here

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

FPSDad1161

Minecraft is built using Java and runs in a web browser window...

A NETBOOK can run the game. Unless your computer is from 1989, It will not have any problem running Minecraft.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
Thanks for ruining Minecraft MS. Games for Windows LIVE is complete garbage.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KingsMessenger

None of the information posted as "fact" in this thread has in fact been confirmed. All we know is that it is coming to XBLA and that there will be some ability to interact with PC users. What exactly that means, we have no idea. However, MS is NOT publishing the PC version of the game... It is independently published on the PC and has absolutely no reason to suddenly change in that regard.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 linkin_guy109

[QUOTE="linkin_guy109"]

KC_Hokie

Here

i know that they will be publishing it for the 360, thats a given, but where in the tc's article did it say that they were publishing it for the pc? there were 2 little snippits about minecraft in the tcs source, and all they basically said twas that minecraft was coming to the 360 which was known after e3, it mentions cross platform play...but how in any way shape or form does that exactly imply that microsoft is publishing and or having gfwl implimentation on minecraft :|
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 linkin_guy109

None of the information posted as "fact" in this thread has in fact been confirmed. All we know is that it is coming to XBLA and that there will be some ability to interact with PC users. What exactly that means, we have no idea. However, MS is NOT publishing the PC version of the game... It is independently published on the PC and has absolutely no reason to suddenly change in that regard.

KingsMessenger
this this this A MILLION TIMES THIS! i hate when threads like this pop up, everyone doesnt bother checking the source and just believes the tc
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="linkin_guy109"]

linkin_guy109

Here

i know that they will be publishing it for the 360, thats a given, but where in the tc's article did it say that they were publishing it for the pc? there were 2 little snippits about minecraft in the tcs source, and all they basically said twas that minecraft was coming to the 360 which was known after e3, it mentions cross platform play...but how in any way shape or form does that exactly imply that microsoft is publishing and or having gfwl implimentation on minecraft :|

The cross platform version that plays through Xbox Live on both PC and Xbox 360 will be published by MS. That doesn't mean all versions of Minecraft will be (if there are multiple versions).
Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
As long as they still allow free modding. If they don't then I'm going to be pretty ticked.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KingsMessenger

The cross platform version that plays through Xbox Live on both PC and Xbox 360 will be published by MS. That doesn't mean all versions of Minecraft will be (if there are multiple versions).KC_Hokie

You don't know that... All we know is that cross-platform play will happen. How is still completely unknown. Perhaps MS is opening up the platform. Perhaps not, but until we know for sure, speculation is pointless.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]The cross platform version that plays through Xbox Live on both PC and Xbox 360 will be published by MS. That doesn't mean all versions of Minecraft will be (if there are multiple versions).KingsMessenger

You don't know that... All we know is that cross-platform play will happen. How is still completely unknown. Perhaps MS is opening up the platform. Perhaps not, but until we know for sure, speculation is pointless.

Cross-platform games have to be identical. And MS is having another developer create that version. They are also publishing that version.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

They said cross-functionality, not cross platform play. This doesn't mean Minecraft on PC will be using GFW Live.

Cross platform play would be pretty hard to pull off considering all the modding that's happening in PC version

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="FPSDad1161"]

KingsMessenger

Minecraft is built using Java and runs in a web browser window...

A NETBOOK can run the game. Unless your computer is from 1989, It will not have any problem running Minecraft.

A netbook can run Minecraft, but it'll be a foggy, choppy and completely horrible experience, from someone who tried to play it on both his girlfriends Asus netbook, and an HP Pavilion laptop.

Running the game does not necessarily constitute running it a an enjoyable level.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#46 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts

Smart move from MS, they're lacking credibility with the PC crowd it's games like this they need to get it back. But I don't really get it, didn't the guy already make millions with this game, why sell out to Microsoft..

Personally I don't care about Minecraft, but I don't really see this as a great thing for PC fans of the game. I'm guessing those who bought alpha and were expecting to get the full game sometime soon are gonna be waiting a bit longer so the 360 version gets done first.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
No way is Notch that dumb. He won't let Microsoft near the PC version. If he does though it could be awful.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts

[QUOTE="FPSDad1161"]

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

why?

ChubbyGuy40

Its Minecraft...it has the visuals of Doom. You could play it on a DS if it was ported over.

And you still gotta patch games. You never saw it before this gen because there was no viable way for consoles. From what I understand, Minecraft is a game that is definitely best played on PC.

No, not really. It looks simple but the procedural generation is pretty taxing on the CPU. Even with a fast CPU, chunk updates in a large world can take a noticeable number of seconds.